• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So adding just one new anime character turns the entire roster into anime Smash Bros. game, when about 85% of the roster are mostly video game characters anyway?
No one is saying that, just the anime characters by themselves are unnecessary
But since we're stuck with those 3 anyways we at least hope the number doesn't grow
Though if they were to add an anime character can you imagine how cool a Jojo character would be? I've always wanted a character in Smash with a Fighting Spirit

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Isn't Luffy a "well-regard fan favorite request" upon the SSF2 community? At least in the fan favorite part?

I understand the stigma of anime characters, but I personally don't think detractors would ever discourage devs from at least adding Luffy. There is just too many principles to account for, to simply say that just detractors will get the devs to stop adding anime characters.

Combined with his unique moveset SSF2 devs look for with the Gum Gum Fruit ability, I very much think he's in.
Going back on their word would compromise the integrity of their promises, considering they outright said the only reason Ichigo, Naruto, and Goku are in was a grandfather clause. The anime characters get an insane amount of backlash whenever the game is discussed, so no, they would not be considered universally beloved fan favorites. Public perception is a powerful thing.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Usually the dev team can go back on their word if there's a special reason for it. They said they didn't want clones but due to the popularity of Falco he was an exception. I expect Lucas to follow suit down the road.
Eh, you can't really use that comparison tbh.

Falco is a beloved Smash character, so adding him at some point was a given, whether he was cloned or de-cloned.

Luffy however, probably isn't going to happen because there was already backlash for having anime characters in the game.

So adding just one new anime character turns the entire roster into anime Smash Bros. game, when about 85% of the roster are mostly video game characters anyway?
No, it doesn't, but having more probably isn't a good thing since people will freak out about having 4 anime characters, when there could have been 4 Nintendo or video game characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No, it doesn't, but having more probably isn't a good thing since people will freak out about having 4 anime characters, when there could have been 4 Nintendo or video game characters.
The backlash to 4 extra Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4 should also be considered. People don't like more of something that they didn't ask for.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well if you think backlash would get them to stop the devs from adding more, I won't stop your opinion.

But I still consider him a top candidate, and without him, the anime lineup would feel a little bit empty and strange.

McleodGaming at one point teased us with a Luffy joke during one of the streams from long ago, I don't think he's out of the possibility.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Another anime character I'd like to see is Yugi. Though, I never actually considered him until I voted in a poll some time ago and he was one of the options.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah I should consider adding Jojo to my SSF2 poll, he seems to be one of the bigger Shonen Jump characters as of recent.

Maybe Koro Sensei from Assassination Classroom and Gon from Hunter x Hunter, but that's just personal bias. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well if you think backlash would get them to stop the devs from adding more, I won't stop your opinion.

But I still consider him a top candidate, and without him, the anime lineup would feel a little bit empty and strange.

McleodGaming at one point teased us with a Luffy joke during one of the streams from long ago, I don't think he's out of the possibility.
IMO having an "anime lineup" in a Smash game in general stops it from being "empty."

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well it's a good thing that the SSF2 guys keep FE representation healthy as opposed to it's main series counterpart lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well it's a good thing that the SSF2 guys keep FE representation healthy as opposed to it's main series counterpart lol.
I'd say it's a bit underdone to be healthy. I mean, they only have Marth.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So i'm hearing a lot of different things about the reveal time. Some people are saying 1PM and 2PM when I thought it was happening now. When is it really happening?
I'd say it's a bit underdone to be healthy. I mean, they only have Marth.
Marth is really the only one that's needed to represent the series though. FE isn't a huge series like Mario, PKMN, or TLoZ to deserve multiple reps on that level. If it were up to me though I would add Lyn to the roster and call it a day with FE characters though I wouldn't mind if Ike was added in on top of that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So i'm hearing a lot of different things about the reveal time. Some people are saying 1PM and 2PM when I thought it was happening now. When is it really happening?

Marth is really the only one that's needed to represent the series though. FE isn't a huge series like Mario, PKMN, or TLoZ to deserve multiple reps on that level. If it were up to me though I would add Lyn to the roster and call it a day with FE characters though I wouldn't mind if Ike was added in on top of that.
"Marth is the only representation it needs" Stop letting your Corrin hate boner influence you. There's magic, MANAKETES and more. Having only Marth is boring, the reason why people liked Robin's addition was because they brought something new to the table and was a great representation for the FE franchise by having durability and multiple spells and swords. Also, considering how much you wanted Roy back, doesn't that seem hypocritical to you?

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Eh, screw the anime characters, we need Mickey Mouse to finish off the fourth-party section. Who doesn't want to see Mario fight Mickey?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, coming from me, who has been following closely with the SSF2 game/speculation for years and has been open to many possibilities, I personally don't think so.
My issue is that your reasoning just feels like a slippery slope. At what point do they become excessive? Let's say, for arguments sake, it was Disney stuff instead of anime. Another thing with a large fan base and huge amount of properties. Obviously you'd need Mickey. But then, wait, you'd probably need more than just him. Would you add characters from Star Wars, Frozen, Toy Story, Marvel, The Muppets, Pirates of the Caribbean, Winnie the Pooh, Indiana Jones...? All are hugely popular and lucrative properties, so they'd all be "deserving."

But the game isn't about them, it's advertised as a Smash game. And yet, if any of those were missing, it'd feel empty to some, inevitably. Hell, there's already debate on who'd be the FIFTH anime guy.

It just reminds me of when Squidward built the snow fort. At what point does it get too excessive?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
tbh I don't care for SSF for one reason. My laptop is more cancerous with anything than most fanbases. Though I do love seeing how much passion is put into fan projects like that, even if I don't like the character or think they don't belong in Smash (See Spiderman mod for Brawl/PM)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"Marth is the only representation it needs" Stop letting your Corrin hate boner influence you. There's magic, MANAKETES and more. Having only Marth is boring, the reason why people liked Robin's addition was because they brought something new to the table and was a great representation for the FE franchise by having durability and multiple spells and swords. Also, considering how much you wanted Roy back, doesn't that seem hypocritical to you?
Chill Annuga. No need to get riled up.

I just spoke my mind regarding this. Smash Bros and Smash Flash are two different beasts. I'd like Roy to be in SSF2 but there was the rule of clones generally not being in the game hence why I said I would be okay with Lyn or Ike but would be perfectly content with Marth being the sole FE representative.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Chill Annuga. No need to get riled up.

I just spoke my mind regarding this. Smash Bros and Smash Flash are two different beasts. I'd like Roy to be in SSF2 but there was the rule of clones generally not being in the game hence why I said I would be okay with Lyn or Ike but would be perfectly content with Marth being the sole FE representative.
It's just incredibly hypocritical saying that Marth is all that's needed if you wanted Roy back, because although I don't care about SSF, it's still a Smash game as far as I'mconcerned

Bananija

Count of Trickery
ZeRo is in the SSF2 stream playing Sora!

IDK which JoJo. Which Jojo is the most famous one? I haven't been that far with the Jojo and anime.
Jotaro is from part 3, the one that introduced Stand, and pretty much appears in every parts afterward. He's probably the most iconic.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My issue is that your reasoning just feels like a slippery slope. At what point do they become excessive? Let's say, for arguments sake, it was Disney stuff instead of anime. Another thing with a large fan base and huge amount of properties. Obviously you'd need Mickey. But then, wait, you'd probably need more than just him. Would you add characters from Star Wars, Frozen, Toy Story, Marvel, The Muppets, Pirates of the Caribbean, Winnie the Pooh, Indiana Jones...? All are hugely popular and lucrative properties, so they'd all be "deserving."

But the game isn't about them, it's advertised as a Smash game. And yet, if any of those were missing, it'd feel empty to some, inevitably. Hell, there's already debate on who'd be the FIFTH anime guy.

It just reminds me of when Squidward built the snow fort. At what point does it get too excessive?
I'd consider Ichigo, Naruto, Goku, and Luffy to be enough since they're widely considered in the anime and SSF2 community to be the biggest Shonen Jump stars.

Most people I know in the SSF2 fandom just mainly want Luffy as the last anime character and that's it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone remember the ORIGINAL poke rap

LOL, the "Poke" rap before Pokemon

I'd consider Ichigo, Naruto, Goku, and Luffy to be enough since they're widely considered in the anime and SSF2 community to be the biggest Shonen Jump stars.

Most people I know in the fandom just mainly want Luffy as the last character and that's it.
To me it seems that most people who want Luffy want him only because he would "complete the anime cast" rather than actually liking him as a character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Jotaro is from part 3, the one that introduced Stand, and pretty much appears in every parts afterward. He's probably the most iconic.
You forgot to mention that Jotaro introduced the west to the franchise
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 I think noticed a typo and have some critique for that poll. Kazumi from DOA is Kasumi iirc, and at the bottom of the poll, some characters are listed despite their franchise already being listed differently

D

Deleted member

Another anime character I'd like to see is Yugi. Though, I never actually considered him until I voted in a poll some time ago and he was one of the options.
You know what? Yugi would be pretty cool
Kinda like the Pokemon Trainer people throw around of hin summoning a Pokemon for each move but with cards instead
Spell and Trap cards could also add some interesting moves
Yeah I should consider adding Jojo to my SSF2 poll, he seems to be one of the bigger Shonen Jump characters as of recent.

Maybe Koro Sensei from Assassination Classroom and Gon from Hunter x Hunter, but that's just personal bias. :p
I don't think that's bias, HxH and AC are both very popular
>Healthy
>Marth only
Yeah sure
Actually, I was talking about which JoJo.
Jotaro would be my pick, being the most iconic one and the first Jojo with a Stand would make for a more unique moveset than Hamon could with Jonathan or Young Joseph
Old Joseph's Hermit Purple isn't humanoid so that kinda takes the whole point and Josuke's Crazy Diamond is Star Platinum but with healing(that can't heal himself) and slower
Dunno about the others though
Let's just add Polnareff, if Jotaro wasn't a Joestar someone could probably mistake him for the protagonist anyways

Damnit, now I want Jotaro in SSF2, I'm gonna start supporting him now, where else would I have the chance to ORAORAORA Tails?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To me it seems that most people who want Luffy want him only because he would "complete the anime cast" rather than actually liking him as a character.
Yeah, but it's still high noticeable demand for Luffy regardless whatever reason is brought up.

It's enough demand for SSF2 devs to consider.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
@SuperMii3D
I am free now, so if you want to Smash.
Then...

My body is ready. (By the way, who send the friend request?)

D

Deleted member

You say that but you haven't seen the more creative **** Josuke uses Crazy D for. Josuke knows how to ****ing fly by using Crazy D
I've seen what Crazy Diamond can do but those things just wouldn't translate well into a Smash game
@SuperMii3D
I am free now, so if you want to Smash.
Then...

My body is ready. (By the way, who send the friend request?)
Unrelated to this whole post but I just noticed your title
But just to confirm, are we thinking about the same Pandora Hearts?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I've seen what Crazy Diamond can do but those things just wouldn't translate well into a Smash game

Unrelated to this whole post but I just noticed your title
But just to confirm, are we thinking about the same Pandora Hearts?
That depend, for me, it's that Pandora Hearts.

I don't know other anime or manga called Pandora Hearts.

D

Deleted member

That depend, for me, it's that Pandora Hearts.

I don't know other anime or manga called Pandora Hearts.
Yeah, I was just making sure though, I don't know if the manga/anime is that well known nor do I know if the name has been used somewehre before
Have you watched the anime? I'm buying the manga as they're being released here now but that'll take too long so I want to know if the anime os worth watching
I'm at Part 3 with Jotaro so far. He seems pretty badass so far, but I like Joseph more.

I'm following the English dub.
Joseph is a fan favorite, and for good reasons
Though I'd say Josuke is almost as good but I still need to finish Part 4 to be able to say for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom