• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The descriptions of both, from the magazine

"A grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokemon. Truly a terrifying creature"
"It steals the life force from other Pokemon. Those Pokemon's grudges turn into a new Sunaba (the pre-evolved form)"

Welp.
We've found our spookymon for the gen.
That sounds so metal, specially because it is drowning a Pikachu on the promo images.
I like how this gen is using more Pokédex descriptions related to predation and dark stuff; like Bounsweet.

Be with enough woman and you'll disagree with that
*Women

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I certainly agree it was probably not the best thing for Pokemon to become an annual series. Especially when Kalos had one of the worst post games.

You have to wonder how many people they've got working on it for them to pump them out so fast.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It should be noted that the entire point of the Yokai is that they are like these creatures that cause uncontrollable inconveniences for people.

Cheeksqueaks makes sense in that context, both in terms of his concept and his design, because he makes people fart when they don't want to.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I think more people need to try out Keitai Denjū Telefang for a good monster collecting game (bootleg version if you want a super buggy Vietnamese Crystal experience or the WIP English translation if you want a serious experience).

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Water Absorb should be its ability, considering sandcastles need to be a bit wet to have adherence.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
No, they are running out of ideas.

With Gen 1, Pokémon was a humble project, an earnest attempt from a young game designer to make a game he always dreamed of, with a new gameplay concept that he hoped would encourage social interaction (capturing, trading, and battling creatures across two versions of the same game).

Gen 2 was him trying to prove this is something that could stick around, by doing the same thing again, but bigger and better. Trying to live up to the lofty expectations set by the massive success of the first game.

After that, Pokémon became increasingly about the merchandising. The games exist to sell toys and trinkets nowadays, and not much else.

When they make a Pokémon nowadays, it isn't usually because they want to do something creative with it. It's because they want to make something they can make an easy piece of merchandise out of.

Keychains, Teddy Bears, Sandcastles, etc. These are all things that are no brainers for some kind of merchandising.

Someone is going to try and argue with me about how Pokémon is pure and everything it does is done with the utmost creative integrity and thought.

But let me remind you that the new Pokémon game is being released with this.

And heck this isn't the first time they've done it. There was also the Pokewalker in Gen 4.

Let's all be real here, Game Freak and Nintendo are businesses. They are built to make money. They make games to make money.
This isn't a hate-filled jab at them either, it's a fact. Everyone company's primary focus is money. Companies like money, and more money is good money.

And there's nothing wrong with admitting that.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
No, they are running out of ideas.

With Gen 1, Pokémon was a humble project, an earnest attempt from a young game designer to make a game he always dreamed of, with a new gameplay concept that he hoped would encourage social interaction (capturing, trading, and battling creatures across two versions of the same game).

Gen 2 was him trying to prove this is something that could stick around, by doing the same thing again, but bigger and better. Trying to live up to the lofty expectations set by the massive success of the first game.

After that, Pokémon became increasingly about the merchandising because of it's guaranteed pedigree. The games exist to sell toys and trinkets nowadays, and not much else.

When they make a Pokémon nowadays, it isn't usually because they want to do something creative with it. It's because they want to make something they can make an easy piece of merchandise out of.

Keychains, Teddy Bears, Sandcastles, etc. These are all things that are no brainers for some kind of merchandising.

Someone is going to try and argue with me about how Pokémon is pure and everything it does is done with the utmost creative integrity and thought.

But let me remind you that the new Pokémon game is being released with this.

Again, that's not running out of ideas, that's just being flat-out lazy.

They would be running out of ideas if they COULDN'T make any more inspired ones. Instead they just outright refuse to. There's a difference.

I'm sorry, but people saying "running out of ideas" when that's clearly a mislabeling/misconception about the situation is kind of one of my many pet peeves.

I'm not even saying they're innocent. They're not. I'm just saying that "running out of ideas" is a false label for it. If they really wanted to bother with a no inanimate object, no humanoid, no retread region, they could do it. They just aren't bothering.

Heck, we're practically saying they're guilty of the same thing and just having a disconnect over terminology.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Considering how dark ghost types like Phantump can be, I wouldn't be surprised if the sandcastle had dark origins:

Like it's possessed by grown people who were killed at the beach or buried alive, maybe drowned. Now like yamask they remember their and scream because of how much they get trampled or forgotten.

But who knows maybe it has a happy story.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Why do I get the feeling that Alolan Persian will end up looking like a black cat and have an ability that brings bad luck to an enemy Pokemon? As for Alolan Cubone, I'm not sure; maybe it should get Lightning Rod along with Alolan Marowak?

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Why do I get the feeling that Alolan Persian will end up looking like a black cat and have an ability that brings bad luck to an enemy Pokemon? As for Alolan Cubone, I'm not sure; maybe it should get Lightning Rod along with Alolan Marowak?
Well, Meowth was based off the Maneki Neko (aka lucky cat), so doing bad luck instead sounds cool.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Does Lightning Rod nullify electric attacks, too?

Chrono.

Considering how dark ghost types like Phantump can be, I wouldn't be surprised if the sandcastle had dark origins:

Like it's possessed by grown people who were killed at the beach or buried alive, maybe drowned. Now like yamask they remember their and scream because of how much they get trampled or forgotten.

But who knows maybe it has a happy story.
"Sunabaa is a grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokemon. Truly a terrifying creature
Shirodesuna steals the life force from other Pokemon. Those Pokemon's grudges turn into a new Sunaba. We'll bring more as it comes"

It doesn't.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I hope Alolan Meowth and Persian have Super Luck as ability for the sake of irony.

Persian doing crits like crazy with Slash, just like the ol' RBY times :denzel:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
"Sunabaa is a grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokemon. Truly a terrifying creature
Shirodesuna steals the life force from other Pokemon. Those Pokemon's grudges turn into a new Sunaba. We'll bring more as it comes"

It doesn't.
So in other words, people's complaining about the sandcastle Pokemon is actively creating more of them.

Nice. :awesome:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I probably should clarify this.

I just came back from a Sonic convention where I bought over £100 worth in Sonic merchandise. I own over 70 amiibo. And many other pieces of gaming merchandise. I'm wearing slippers made to look like Sonic's shoes that I bought from a designer clothes shop in London.

I'm not saying it's bad for there to be merchandise of games, or to like it.

With Pokémon though, it is in the game's DNA to sell other products. Like, that's the main driving force behind the game's design. They aren't concerned with some grand creative vision any more, not when it comes to the main series anyway. People are guaranteed to buy Pokémon games, so that's why they use those games to create easily merchandisable characters, so people will buy that merchandise.

That isn't inherently bad either, I just personally am not a fan of it, and I think people need to learn to be willing to accept that they like something of that nature, rather than trying to say it's something it isn't.

While something like Sonic definitely has tons of merchandise, and I do think Sonic Boom was sort of designed to sell merchandise, I think the main series stuff isn't like that. The games have merchandise based off of them, but most of the time, the merchandise is actually made years after the relevant game, or it's just something really general. The merchandise is based on characters that have been established and beloved for years, and when they make a new character, they never go as far as making clear merchandise bait like "Key the Chain". The games are more an isolated project, often being a genuine attempt at doing something creative or appealing to fans.

Again, that's not running out of ideas, that's just being flat-out lazy.

They would be running out of ideas if they COULDN'T make any more inspired ones. Instead they just outright refuse to. There's a difference.

I'm sorry, but people saying "running out of ideas" when that's clearly a mislabeling/misconception about the situation is kind of one of my many pet peeves.

I'm not even saying they're innocent. They're not. I'm just saying that "running out of ideas" is a false label for it. If they really wanted to bother with a no inanimate object, no humanoid, no retread region, they could do it. They just aren't bothering.

Heck, we're practically saying they're guilty of the same thing and just having a disconnect over terminology.

I'm sorry, but where is your proof?

Since Gen 3, the franchise has become increasingly more focused on selling stuff that isn't the games, using the games, because the games are guaranteed to sell.

While there's definitely some creative ones here and there, I only think that goes to show they really are running out of ideas.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
...........Why...? Why have you done this to me...?... T _T
Because all needs to know of Cheeksqueak's true beauty. :troll:

But nah, the truest beautiful Yo-Kai is none other than Blizzaria.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
"they are running out of ideas"

man is it gen 3 o clock already? time sure flies when its suddenly the early 2000's and thats a fresh complaint

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
In case it's been overlooked, the CoroCoro is saying next issue will have Rockruff's "Secret Evolution".

Hope it's still cute when it evolves (probably not).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Are these Sandcastle creatures Pokemon or SCPs?

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

It doesn't.
That's website descriptions, the pokedex will be different to some degree. The evolution is still dark. It's like litwick but worse because it lives where people do.

Not only is there a murderous bear, but also a sandcastle that steals the life force of beach goers. This region is pretty dangerous!

I hope Alolan Meowth and Persian have Super Luck as ability for the sake of irony.

Persian doing crits like crazy with Slash, just like the ol' RBY times :denzel:
I could see that actually. Black cats are lucky in Japan,but viewed as unlucky in America and other places. I'm done for critical persian though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
...........Why...? Why have you done this to me...?... T _T
Because I love you. :088:

Because all needs to know of Cheeksqueak's true beauty. :troll:

But nah, the truest beautiful Yo-Kai is none other than Blizzaria.

You don't know try beauty unless you see it. Look no further than the glorious nose of Babblong.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Since Gen 3, the franchise has become increasingly more focused on selling stuff that isn't the games, using the games, because the games are guaranteed to sell.

While there's definitely some creative ones here and there, I only think that goes to show they really are running out of ideas.
The ones we've seen till now seem pretty creative to me.

I think it's just that they're shifting to stranger and stranger ideas instead of more obvious ones.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Yeah, I probably should clarify this.

I just came back from a Sonic convention where I bought over £100 worth in Sonic merchandise. I own over 70 amiibo. And many other pieces of gaming merchandise. I'm wearing slippers made to look like Sonic's shoes that I bought from a designer clothes shop in London.

I'm not saying it's bad for there to be merchandise of games, or to like it.

With Pokémon though, it is in the game's DNA to sell other products. Like, that's the main driving force behind the game's design. They aren't concerned with some grand creative vision any more, not when it comes to the main series anyway. People are guaranteed to buy Pokémon games, so that's why they use those games to create easily merchandisable characters, so people will buy that merchandise.

That isn't inherently bad either, I just personally am not a fan of it, and I think people need to learn to be willing to accept that they like something of that nature, rather than trying to say it's something it isn't.

While something like Sonic definitely has tons of merchandise, and I do think Sonic Boom was sort of designed to sell merchandise, I think the main series stuff isn't like that. The games have merchandise based off of them, but most of the time, the merchandise is actually made years after the relevant game, or it's just something really general. The merchandise is based on characters that have been established and beloved for years, and when they make a new character, they never go as far as making clear merchandise bait like "Key the Chain". The games are more an isolated project, often being a genuine attempt at doing something creative or appealing to fans.

Wh-

They're digging as deep as freaking wharf roaches.

It would take them like five seconds to find a fairy armadillo or spookfish or blobfish or griffin or whatever to base a new Pokemon off of.

It's not a "proof" thing, it's common sense. They can't NOT have seen better ideas at this point. They clearly either just don't care or actively feel like there's a quota for the number of inanimate objects they should add each region.

And the merchandising argument if anything works more in favor of complacency than their just being devoid of any inspiration.

I'm not taking issue with your saying they're being lazy, I'm taking issue with you saying that they don't have any original ideas left they can come up with when their entire twenty-some-odd staff of designers would all have to be collectively living under rocks in order to not have any better ideas they could come up with.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That sounds so metal, specially because it is drowning a Pikachu on the promo images.
I like how this gen is using more Pokédex descriptions related to predation and dark stuff; like Bounsweet.

*Women
I'm just being realistic here

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The one we've seen till now seem pretty creative to me.

I think it's just that they're shifting to stranger and stranger ideas instead of more obvious ones.
I dunno, I just can't call it creative when they're a making a "Teddy Bear Pokémon" in a series where pretty much all of the bear Pokémon look like Teddy Bears already, a Pokémon intentionally made to look like the main mascot (keep in mind Yokai-Watch gets **** for this all of the time from Pokémon fans so it's only fair we criticise Pokémon when it does it), and most of the new reveals just being new forms of old Pokémon.

I thought things started off fine this Gen, but then again, I was never expecting much to begin with, because it's Pokémon and I know what to expect from Pokémon.

Wh-

They're digging as deep as freaking wharf roaches.

It would take them like five seconds to find a fairy armadillo or spookfish or blobfish or griffin or whatever to base a new Pokemon off of.

It's not a "proof" thing, it's common sense. They can't NOT have seen better ideas at this point. They clearly either just don't care or actively feel like there's a quota for the number of inanimate objects they should add each region.

And the merchandising argument if anything works more in favor of complacency than their just being devoid of any inspiration.

I'm not taking issue with your saying they're being lazy, I'm taking issue with you saying that they don't have any original ideas left they can come up with when their entire twenty-some-odd staff of designers would all have to be collectively living under rocks in order to not have any better ideas they could come up with.
I didn't say they don't have any original ideas left, I said they are running out of original ideas.

Managing to squeeze out a couple of legitimately cool and creative Pokémon among the slew of clear merchandise bait and re-hashes they have each Gen is indicative of that statement, not a counter point to the statement.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Can't be any worse than the time SOMEONE pranked my laptop with yaoi on April Fools.

Yaoi, yaoi everywhere....
And that someone DOES have a name. :glare:

Come on, you know you liked that background I've chose you on that day. *Lennyface*

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i think my favorite part of the argument between pokemons gotten lazy and pokemons becoming more and more of a merch production series is that both are stupid opinions to have

on the merch side pokemon already hit every conceivable type of merch out side of adult products as early as gen 1

on the lazy side...well that person is actually going against their own argument
"They're digging as deep as freaking wharf roaches.It would take them like five seconds to find a fairy armadillo or spookfish or blobfish or griffin or whatever to base a new Pokemon off of."

now call me crazy be it would have been far lazier to make a griffin than a warf roach because it would have taken them 5 seconds to make

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Can't be any worse than the time SOMEONE pranked my laptop with yaoi on April Fools.

Yaoi, yaoi everywhere....
:joyful:By just imagining how your reaction must have looked like when you saw that, it's hilarious! .U. I wouldn't know what to do to make you pay, actually...so, forget it!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And that someone DOES have a name. :glare:

Come on, you know you liked that background I've chose you on that day. *Lennyface*
No, like hell I'd liked that background! Brain bleach and eye bleach was needed since that incident along with minutes of deleting.

You didn't go for the light, you went for the heavy. Pretty damn far for a harmless prank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom