• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, have they reveled Alola Mewoth and Marowak's abilities? 'cause unlike Vulpix and Sandshrew, the current ones aren't linked to their types (though lighting rod on a ghost/fire would be a bonus resist instead of a double battle only thing)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The new batch of info is alright.

Sandcastle is amazing! Probably going to use it. School of Fish is a pretty neat idea, I like it.

Alolan meowth is decent. Like the typing, design is average imo.

Alolan marowack is pretty sub par as well. Fan designs did it better imo. Still love the type though.

Bewear's pre evo is freaking creepy and could be in a horror film.

Evil Team looks cool. Getting A punk pirate feel to them. Wonder what their goal is. Also funny that they used this name for the evil team in Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky.

Wonder what the video will add to this. And glad to finally learn rockruff's secret next month.
What Alolan marowack?

Oh I found it, ****, It looks cool

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like Garbador I don't care what anyone says

He's not my favorite or anything, but I did use him in gen 5 for a while

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Speaking of the sandcastle, some fans are saying Game Freak was attempting Yo-Kai Watch's style with that Pokemon.

How does that make any sense?
I actually got that vibe a little bit, but it doesn't have anything to do with it being an inanimate object.

Just something about the way it looks. The softer, bendier design, the look of it's face. . .it's not like the "Pokemon is turning into Digimon" ridiculousness, it just has a design that feels a little Yo-Kai Watch-y.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are you kidding me?!
:081:
Making a creature out of an ininimate object?!
:222:
GOD.

I just can't believe.

How far.

Pokemon's sunk!
To be fair, it was stupid years ago and it's still stupid now.

The only ones that worked were the Gen 1 ones, because they actually served a purpose. The Magnemite line served as a sort of Robot Pokémon that tied into a specific section of the game, and Electrode served as a Pokémon equivalent to a Mimic from Final Fantasy or something (item chests in Pokémon just look like Pokéballs anyway so having a Pokémon that also looks like a Pokéball that could trick you when you approach what appears to be an item is a smart idea).

When you're making Pokémon based on keychains, garbage, and sandcastles, for no particular in-game reason, you're just running out of ideas for your merchandise milking machine. :241:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

The only ones that worked were the Gen 1 ones, because they actually served a purpose. The Magnemite line served as a sort of Robot Pokémon that tied into a specific section of the game, and Electrode served as a Pokémon equivalent to a Mimic from Final Fantasy or something (item chests in Pokémon just look like Pokéballs anyway so having a Pokémon that also looks like a Pokéball that could trick you when you approach what appears to be an item is a smart idea).

When you're making Pokémon based on keychains, garbage, and sandcastles, for no particular in-game reason, you're just running out of ideas for your merchandise milking machine. :241:
I will defend voltorb to this day because his purpose was to be a mimic

It's fantasy game 101

Trap chest with monster

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So, out of curiosity, I ask all of you: who do you have as Mii Fighters? Here's my current list, taken from TV Tropes:

• Brawler: Luna, Lynn and Lana Loud, Marco Diaz, SpongeBob SquarePants, Princess Daisy, Waluigi, Sans, Buzz Lightyear, Chun-Li, Gen, Yang Xiao Long, The Heavy, John Cena, The Count(Sesame Street)
  • Swordsman: Lincoln, Lola and Lucy Loud, Star Butterfly, Mickey Mouse, SheZow, Finn The Human, TR-8R (That Stormtrooper with the stun rod from Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Ashley(Warioware), Chrom, Papyrus, Weiss Schnee, Blake Belladonna, The Scout
  • Gunner: Lisa and Luan Loud, Iron Man, Woody, Zim, Winnie the Pooh, Freddy Fazbear, Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy, Dr. Eggman, Demoman, Mei(Overwatch)
Yeah, I've done a lot with the Mii Fighters.
Off the top of my head..

Brawler:
My Mii
Chuck Norris
Sakurai
Reggie
Akira
Jacky
Heihachi
Toad

Sword:
Bob Ross
Iwata
Dunban
Zero
Chrom
Black Knight
Lloyd
Virdi
Hunter
Rathalos
Takamaru
Ashley
Gilgamesh

Gunner:

Professor Pickle
Mega Man X
Proto Man
Mega Man.EXE
Inkling Girl
Inkling Boy
Geno

I mainly just used the Miis for making characters from the costumes.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't like when people compare the new Pokemon to Yo-Kai.

In the Twitter YW feed I look into, people frequently compare those new Pokemon to Yo-Kai because how "ugly" they are or how they belong in YW because of the "bad design."

It annoys me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

In the Twitter YW feed I look into, people frequently compare those new Pokemon to Yo-Kai because how "ugly" they are or how they belong in YW because of the "bad design."

It annoys me.
To be fair, there is literally a farting buttcheek. That alone would cement YW as 'bad' in the eyes of the west

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Do people forget the literal piles of **** in gen 1?
Muk and Grimer are supposed to be made out of sludge/slime.

They're comparable to a Slime from Dragon Quest, or those sludge/quicksand monsters you often see in fantasy media.

That's the key thing. The "inanimate object" Pokémon from Gen 1 either served a very distinct gameplay or story purpose, or are based on established fantasy monster concepts, just like a lot of the animalistic Pokémon (like Dragonite or Gyrados being a dragon).

They never made an inanimate Pokémon object just for the sake of making one.

Nowadays, when they make these blatant keychain or sandcastle Pokémon, it feels less like they are making them for the sake of adding to an immersive, fantastical world, and it feels more like they are making them for the sake of making something that's easily merchandisable ("let's make a keychain of the keychain Pokémon").

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So, I was adding some video game music to a playlist, and uh, I think Groove Music might need some tweaks.

... right.PNG

Because that's definitely not the album art for 3rd Strike.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

There's dozens of original ideas Pokemon could use from nature and mythology.

They're not running out of ideas, they're just actively slacking off.

Or in the case of the sandcastle, trying to tie into the region unlike usual. This is the same region we get a lei, a wharf roach, an imported mongoose and a bird with a hula variant. They're obviously trying to give us as much "Hawaii" as they can squeeze in, and a sandcastle fits into that even if it's "eeeew inanimate object."

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

They're comparable to a Slime from Dragon Quest, or those sludge/quicksand monsters you often see in fantasy media.
I will forever see them as nothing but non living sluge. Thats all I can see them as

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

That's the key thing. The "inanimate object" Pokémon from Gen 1 either served a very distinct gameplay or story purpose, or are based on established fantasy monster concepts, just like a lot of the animalistic Pokémon (like Dragonite or Gyrados being a dragon).

They never made an inanimate Pokémon object just for the sake of making one.

Nowadays, when they make these blatant keychain or sandcastle Pokémon, it feels less like they are making them for the sake of adding to an immersive, fantastical world, and it feels more like they are making them for the sake of making something that's easily merchandisable ("let's make a keychain of the keychain Pokémon").
Consider this.
Garbador is a trashbag, and America, the country Unova is based off of, has a litter problem, and trashbags are everyday items there, so that works. The sandcastle works because Hawaii is filled with beaches

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Butt Cheeksqueek is bae. Why hate on the Yo-Kai with the loveliest and rosiest pair of cheeks in the universe?

*cue @AndreaAC gagging*
I've always known you as an *** man, but THIS?

Well, those hips on his cheekbones don't lie.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

It annoys me.
Well that's not a proper comparison at all. I see it in the sandcastle because something about it's design reminds me of it, but if it's just being used in general then it's just the new "Pokemon is turning into Digimon" blind blanket statement.

Most of the new Pokemon look nothing like Yo-Kai Watch to me, and Yo-Kai Watch has some pretty great Yokai in there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean those who call Cheeksqueek bad don't understand the humorous, weird tone YW tries to accomplish. I consider that Yo-Kai to be great and fitting in YW's universe.
It's not a case of not understanding it. It's a case of not liking it due to the culture. In Japan, kids like to prank adults by poking their fingers up their butts. @PushDustIn has said himself he hated this. Just because it's funny in Japan, doesn't mean other countries will like it

Why are they Ghost type again?
A ghost possessed em methinks

Burruni

Smash Hero
The descriptions of both, from the magazine

"A grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokemon. Truly a terrifying creature"
"It steals the life force from other Pokemon. Those Pokemon's grudges turn into a new Sunaba (the pre-evolved form)"

Welp.
We've found our spookymon for the gen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's dozens of original ideas Pokemon could use from nature and mythology.

They're not running out of ideas, they're just actively slacking off.

Or in the case of the sandcastle, trying to tie into the region unlike usual. This is the same region we get a lei, a wharf roach, an imported mongoose and a bird with a hula variant. They're obviously trying to give us as much "Hawaii" as they can squeeze in, and a sandcastle fits into that even if it's "eeeew inanimate object."
No, they are running out of ideas.

With Gen 1, Pokémon was a humble project, an earnest attempt from a young game designer to make a game he always dreamed of, with a new gameplay concept that he hoped would encourage social interaction (capturing, trading, and battling creatures across two versions of the same game).

Gen 2 was him trying to prove this is something that could stick around, by doing the same thing again, but bigger and better. Trying to live up to the lofty expectations set by the massive success of the first game.

After that, Pokémon became increasingly about the merchandising because of it's guaranteed pedigree. The games exist to sell toys and trinkets nowadays, and not much else.

When they make a Pokémon nowadays, it isn't usually because they want to do something creative with it. It's because they want to make something they can make an easy piece of merchandise out of.

Keychains, Teddy Bears, Sandcastles, etc. These are all things that are no brainers for some kind of merchandising.

Someone is going to try and argue with me about how Pokémon is pure and everything it does is done with the utmost creative integrity and thought.

But let me remind you that the new Pokémon game is being released with this.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I mean farting has always been a problem we all face, kids love to laugh at fart jokes too, so I think other countries will get some laughs and connection to the Yo-Kai. At least mostly with kids.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
> Checks the translation patch page of Keitai Denjū Telefang
> Currently on Version 110

I understand there's not enough help on the translation project but how much longer on the final product? Plus it would be nice if they dated when each version was released too.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
So, out of curiosity, I ask all of you: who do you have as Mii Fighters? Here's my current list, taken from TV Tropes:

• Brawler: Luna, Lynn and Lana Loud, Marco Diaz, SpongeBob SquarePants, Princess Daisy, Waluigi, Sans, Buzz Lightyear, Chun-Li, Gen, Yang Xiao Long, The Heavy, John Cena, The Count(Sesame Street)
  • Swordsman: Lincoln, Lola and Lucy Loud, Star Butterfly, Mickey Mouse, SheZow, Finn The Human, TR-8R (That Stormtrooper with the stun rod from Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Ashley(Warioware), Chrom, Papyrus, Weiss Schnee, Blake Belladonna, The Scout
  • Gunner: Lisa and Luan Loud, Iron Man, Woody, Zim, Winnie the Pooh, Freddy Fazbear, Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy, Dr. Eggman, Demoman, Mei(Overwatch)
Yeah, I've done a lot with the Mii Fighters.
Every single one of my Miis, other than the ones based off my family, are members of the HST:

• Brawlers: Sanji, Rock Lee, Sakura, Might Guy, Hinata, Neji, Luffy, Nico Robin, Chopper
  • Swordfighters: Ichigo, Byakuya, Renji, Zoro, Rukia, Sasuke, Brook, Kenpachi, Ichibei
  • Gunners: Gaara, Kakashi, Nami, Naruto, Franky, Usopp, Orihime

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The sand castle can possibly have a lot of very good abilities like Arena Trap, Water Absorb and Sand Stream.

inb4 Cursed Body or something crappy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom