• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys.
Speaking of poor choice in wording not meaning what you intended.
Edit: The size probably needs a spoiler tag.
Did the marketing guy hate his job or something?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Let's be honest here, ain't like the series isn't gonna make a comeback on the NX

They said multiple times were interested in doing it for that system

If FF was all we got and we've heard nothing else, then I understand the issue. But if when they said they are gonna consider and possibly make on for the NX multiple time, you have no excuse but to wait until we know what that system is.

Especially when Zelda got ****ed on their anniversary as well all because the 'definitive' version is holding back their anniversary game and they are getting jack **** for 2016 but delays after delays

And Kid Icarus is left dormant on its 30th Anniversary, DK was never mentioned on its 30th and F-Zero had its 20th last year with no fanfare so admit Nintendo does jack**** with franchises on their anniversary except for Mario and Mario alone because unless they have a developer that remembers and cherish its anniversary (Game Freak with Pokemon, HAL with Kirby and Intelligent Systems with Fire Emblem), you get nothing else but disappointment

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Spinoffs when people have gotten into the mindsets that they're going to be seeing a big main line title of their pleasing will always lead to rage*
Asterisk? Is there an exception you have in mind?

But anyway, I think I have a pretty good solution for this. People just need to stop expecting new games. They shouldn't stop wanting them or asking for them, but oh-so-many of these overblown explosions would end if people just stopped outright EXPECTING them.

Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo shouldn't have to feel bad for enjoying Federation Force. It may not be the game most wanted or the most understandable choice for an entry, but that doesn't make it bad. It's always the worst when you just want to enjoy something and the entire collective internet can't find a single nice thing to say about it.

I think Nintendo gets the message at this point. Everyone's said their part, most will be speaking with their wallets, and the reviewers will handle the rest. It would be best if people just focused on something nicer and more worthwhile. Heck, even comment spamming "Prime 4" everywhere the way Mother 3 fans do for their game would be more productive than the complaining at this point.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Bad metaphore incoming. Thats like a little kid screaming " ICE CREAM" at a parent, Will that really make it come faster?
Nah, probably not, but I'd rather have "ICE CREAM" screamed into my ear than "I HATE YOU MOMMY I HATE YOU MOMMY I HATE YOU MOMMY."

And I guess there's just the off chance the ice cream company doesn't know the level of demand for a new flavor. They probably do, but just for luck. :awesome:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Asterisk? Is there an exception you have in mind?

But anyway, I think I have a pretty good solution for this. People just need to stop expecting new games. They shouldn't stop wanting them or asking for them, but oh-so-many of these overblown explosions would end if people just stopped outright EXPECTING them.

Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo shouldn't have to feel bad for enjoying Federation Force. It may not be the game most wanted or the most understandable choice for an entry, but that doesn't make it bad. It's always the worst when you just want to enjoy something and the entire collective internet can't find a single nice thing to say about it.

I think Nintendo gets the message at this point. Everyone's said their part, most will be speaking with their wallets, and the reviewers will handle the rest. It would be best if people just focused on something nicer and more worthwhile. Heck, even comment spamming "Prime 4" everywhere the way Mother 3 fans do for their game would be more productive than the complaining at this point.
The asterisk was me jokingly "correcting" your point.
But... while that is a fairly valid point.
Federation Force, I can WHOLLY understand the kind of raw initial outrage that THIS is the anniversary title, ALL the anniversary is.

The other two?
It's because it was leaked by someone "X people are working on Y series for the WiiU"
"OH WE'RE GETTING ANIMAL CROSSING ON WIIU AND A PAPER MARIO RPG AGAIN!!!!!"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just realized.

Federation Force comes out in ten days.

Wonder how it'll fare.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
WAIT ITS THAT SOON?!
Realtalk.
Are there 3 other people who'd want to go through it with me?
Only way I'm touching the game.
And it'd keep us all enrooted on it.
Depending on when it happens.

Maybe.

Depends on my financial situation.

I just realized.

Federation Force comes out in ten days.

Wonder how it'll fare.
A few people hating on it because it is cool and a lot of people judging it on criteria that don't actually apply.

And based on the reception to Blast Ball, probably a decent chunk of people actually enjoying it.
:061:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
IT'S TIME FOR MICHAEL PHELPS TO UNLEASH THE BEAST

USA USA USA

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
"This isn't a review of Star Fox Zero Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Save for very rare, extreme circumstances, Polygon reviews require that a game be completed, or at least a good-faith effort be made to complete it.

I am not playing any more Star Fox Zero Metroid Prime: Federation Force."

- Some Polygon reviewer, probably

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Man...

I've been hearing so many complaints about Nintendo and its handling of Metroid's 30th anniversary.

It honestly bugs me so much at the sheer amount of people running their mouths saying '**** Nintendo!' among other things.

Imho, the complaints have gone from the point of where I can sympathise with the fans to me thinking:
...Because that's all I'm seeing over the past few days.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want people to not voice their opinions, but constantly complaining and giving the middle finger to the company that owns the bloody IP you're complaining about getting shafted on its 30th anniversary will discourage them from making another game, rather than encourage them.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ura Ura

I just found this.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If you haven't seen it already I figured you might want to know just in case it turned into something. It's literally just a concept they tossed around and it would be a PC title considering the developer, but. . .yeah I'm just going to leave this for you here.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I wanted him to get 1st maaaanngggg :ohwell:
It's the qualifiers so I can cut him some slack and he needed to get in finals

Ura Ura

I just found this.

If you haven't seen it already I figured you might want to know just in case it turned into something. It's literally just a concept they tossed around and it would be a PC title considering the developer, but. . .yeah I'm just going to leave this for you here.
This looks great

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ok...I kept getting interrupted at work so I couldn't put my thoughts down consisivly regarding my concerns for Federation Force...

First...I want to emphasize something very important that doesn't get brought up a lot...Federation Force was in development since 2009...That's 7 years...To put it into perspective it was in development longer than Breath of the Wild...I'm not saying that we should compare the game to Breath of the Wild (because let's be honest it obviously won't)...but that in and of itself brings up expectations for a game that, because of it's development time may have played a role in Metroid's lengthy hiatus...

Now regarding Fed Force...saying things like 'wait until it's out we didn't know how Other M was going to be' doesn't help your argument because that's the exact reason why fans are being extra critical of the game right now...Other M was supposed to be a big stepping stone for the franchise and a new direction which ended up falling flat on it's face...Federation Force is the next installment after more than half a decade of waiting after this game...Metroid is in a bit of an unstable situation right now considering there's a lot that fans have wanted for years and Nintendo is needlessly 'trying new things' with a franchise that can't afford to take risks at this current situation...

One of my biggest concerns with this game as I've mentioned many times is the huge focus on multiplayer...Nintendo's tried twice before to bring multiplayer to the franchise with Echoes and Hunters...Echoes multiplayer was dull as **** and probably the worst part about Echoes in general, while Hunters I heard decent things about it's multiplayer, though the game itself is....ok at best (it sits as my second least favourite game of the franchise right now as I felt very uninterested playing it compared to other games, doesn't help that low res graphics look terrible on the Wii U so my experience is kinda shot with that), Federation Force as of now comes across as a mission based systematic co-op shooter which is a deviation away from what we have grown accustomed to with Metroid...Tanabe said that the Solo player can give us a decent challenge, but the game is best played with multiple players which is not an exciting thing to hear as a Metroid fan...

Another big concern I have is something that has to do with a couple other games released in the past few years, whos franchise (at the time) weren't doing so well...Fire Emblem Awakening and Chini Robo Ziplash...Both are from franchises who's futures hinged on how well these games did and while Awakening was a storming success, Ziplash...not so much...
While it hasn't been explicitly stated that Nintendo will can Metroid if Fed Force flops, it's still a worry I have regarding Federation Force...The last game in the series was a total bust, whether or not you liked the game it was met with average review scores and overwhelming criticism from many dedicated fans...and before that the Franchise was headed in a steady decline in sales...Metroid peaked at Metroid Prime and since then successive games haven't quite hit the nail on the head the same way...the exact same thing happened with the first three games before the eight year hiatus...Super Metroid may have been considered one of the greatest games ever made but it didn't do very well overall for a game with such a title, ESPECIALLY in Japan...I do want to stay optimistic that Fed Force won't be the last of the series regardless of how well it does (I mean on Saturday I posted a giant write-up speaking about the future of the series and what I'd like to see)...but I can't help but have this small worry that Nintendo will just flat-out give-up with the franchise if it doesn't do well...Remember Ziplash was a big deviation from previous games in the series and not what people wanted, but yet it still got canned...

Here's another thing I want to mention and of course it speaks about a character who is....at least in the game...One of the biggest complaints with Other M was what it did to Samus as a character...And now the next game in the series that we get after waiting 6 years, doesn't even have her as the main protagonist and from what I can tell is relegated to a summon...though she may have more to do in the game than that, but after a long hiatus and not seeing the character in a more pleasing role for almost a decade now (other than Smash) we get a game that doesn't even feature her as a playable character...a character that has well established herself as the main character in every single aspect of the series up to this point (save for Hunters multiplayer)...This is arguably one of the most controversial points regarding Federation Force because we get a revival of a series that's been in hiatus and it doesn't even feature the main character as a protagonist...And this is what we have to look forward to for the next installment in a series that is being released during a very significant time for it around Metroid's 30th Anniversary...Is it something? Well yes it's something...as I said earlier 'It's better than nothing' (though that was meant more in a jokingly fashion earlier, but it's still relevant in this case)...Samus needs a chance to redeem herself and once again become that respected bounty hunter that is revered instead of mocked...

Perhaps Nintendo will give a mention to Metroid's 30th closer to Federation Force's release...or they could just let it pass without saying a word...Just like Metroid's 30th Anniversary...do they care? I dunno, maybe they do maybe they don't...they didn't say anything so it's hard to say for sure...do they care about other games that don't have Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon in their titles? I dunno, maybe they do maybe they don't...they didn't say anything so it's hard to say for sure...See what the problem is here? Nintendo needs to realize that we the fans need more transparency...they like to do their own thing, I get it, but when a beloved series reaches it's 30 year anniversary (something that happens only once for any series) and nothing is said it leaves a very bad impression on the fans (people who want to celebrate WITH the company that gave them the game to begin with, remember this)...especially for a franchise like Metroid that really should be doing a lot better than it is, given how influential and iconic it is as a series...And an even worse impression when fans create something to celebrate said franchise and Nintendo takes it down...and still says nothing for the milestone, besides 'yes we appreciate your passion, but bad! very bad! you shouldn't do that'...As you can see I'm a little frustrated right now...as are a lot of Metroid fans...

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just read Attack on Titan Chapter 84. Oh boy, what a chapter it was.

Major events that happened in this chapter:
RIP Erwin Smith
RIP Bertolt Hoover
Hange Zoe is the new commander of the Survey Corps
Armin Arlert has been fully revived and is now a Titan Shifter; he is very likely to be the next Colossal Titan

Thoughts:
I wanted Erwin to get the serum leading up to this, but I'm actually pretty satisfied Armin got the serum instead after reading comments online that explained why Armin seemed like the more likely winner of the SyringeBowl, not to mention how it played this chapter was really satisfying.

Levi was so adamant about giving the Titan injection to Erwin, with Hange and Floch backing him up, despite Eren and Mikasa trying to convince him otherwise. He only changes his mind in the last second when remembering how he told Erwin to proceed with his plan to attack the Beast Titan and give up on his dream.

Bertolt's was very cruel, but at the same time it was completely satisfying. Karma got back to him for how he, Reiner, and Annie killed Marco: he was left alone, with no limbs, to be eaten by Titan Armin, and as he screamed for someone to save him, he noticed Eren and his friends watching him with delight that Armin was going to be revived and not even care about Bertolt. Then we see Titan Armin devour him as he screams for Reiner and Annie. Being left alone to die like that while the ones who left him that way simply watching his final moments was just like how Marco met his demise.

It would've been even more satisfying if that was Reiner getting eaten, but I can't wait to see his reaction when he finds out what happened to Bertolt considering they are childhood friends.

It was also great to see Armin get back on Bertolt considering that two chapters, Bertolt "killed" him. Yes, Armin survived that attack in the end, but Bertolt intended to kill Armin right there and then.

With Bertolt, a.k.a. the Colossal Titan, dead, that now means Armin Arlert is a Titan Shifter, and he will probably be the next Colossal Titan. It's also great to see the Survey Corps now have two Titan Shifters on their side.

But I feel pretty bad for Levi and Hange. Not only was Erwin one of my favorite characters, he is one their remaining closest friends, and they are pretty much the only adults left in the Survey Corps now that most of them were killed by Bertolt and Zeke. You can definitely understand why they wanted Erwin to live instead of Armin.

Looks like the basement is just around the corner, but I'm still hoping we'll get to see what's inside Ymir's letter soon enough. Overall, another excellent chapter overall. Glad to see one of my favorite characters is back in action.

I'll probably post some more thoughts later if anything new pops in my mind.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Even though this new leak may or may not be piggybacking the relevant Sun & Moon one (Werewolf evolution and starters), I would die if we're also going to get a Possum Pokemon besides the koala Komala.

You know what.
Here's a hell of a comparison.
Amiibo Party - Federation Force - Color Splash.
Probably the three biggest causes for ire to Nintendo in recent memory.

Amiibo Party
- Spinoff nobody saw coming which seemed very akin to Mario Party.
- Incredibly bare bones
- Downright unenjoyable, from many reviews
- Hinges on peripherals and extra costs in the form of the amiibo cards.
- Wasn't the anticipated Animal Crossing console title.
- Came two years (?) after New Leaf's success.

Color Splash
- "Direct Sequel" to Sticker Star.
- While an improvement in most regards to that title, a bitter animosity stands.
- What we've seen from the game has it seem to follow the... "fomuliac" issues of most recent Mario titles. 7 Koopalings for 7 mcguffins/areas/worlds, sporadic Bowser Jr., Bowser Finale.
- Hated as much for what it is as it is as to what it's not.
- Came 3 years (?) after Sticker Star. A year or less after paper jam, depending on region. Both financial successes.

Federation Force
- Incredibly off the wall spinoff with a gameplay style that I can closest compare to Evolve or Monster Hunter.
- We really have no idea about the scope of it.
- It's the project that the series director has wanted to flesh out the world since the DS years.
- Almost all complaints, at least I've heard, is because of it being... "Non-Metroidy." In either the classic OR Prime sense of feeling. A kind of outrage... kinda understandable for an ANNIVERSARY title. Could this be from just too few people playing the demo? Quite possibly.
- Comes 6 years after Other M's crash to the series.
Going add this one.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
- The result of developers having trouble with the original SMT x Fire Emblem project (which they thought looked too similar to Fire Emblem)
- Focuses on a modern setting with a J-Pop theme (heavily polarizing to both fandoms). Being too anime also cited "weeaboo" comments towards the game or those interested in the game.
- The gameplay itself is mostly Digital Devil Saga with some elements of other Atlus RPG's and little Fire Emblem (something few FE fans criticized it for). It's not considered "a real SMT" in the eyes of fans because there are no demons (or demon fusion).
- Was always hated since the April 1st reveal and got even more hate since the Japanese release and NoA censorship. Even got criticism for a weak story, cliche characters, and confusing dungeons from those that played it.
- Came out the same year as Fire Emblem Fates in Japan, but several years after Shin Megami Tensei IV internationally.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Even though this new leak may or may not be piggybacking the relevant Sun & Moon one (Werewolf evolution and starters), I would die if we're also going to get a Possum Pokemon besides the koala Komala.

Going add this one.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
- The result of developers having trouble with the original SMT x Fire Emblem project (which they thought looked too similar to Fire Emblem)
- Focuses on a modern setting with a J-Pop theme (heavily polarizing to both fandoms). Being too anime also cited "weeaboo" comments towards the game or those interested in the game.
- The gameplay itself is mostly Digital Devil Saga with some elements of other Atlus RPG's and little Fire Emblem (something few FE fans criticized it for). It's not considered "a real SMT" in the eyes of fans because there are no demons (or demon fusion).
- Was always hated since the April 1st reveal and got even more hate since the Japanese release and NoA censorship. Even got criticism for a weak story, cliche characters, and confusing dungeons from those that played it.
- Came out the same year as Fire Emblem Fates in Japan, but several years after Shin Megami Tensei IV internationally.
(TMS came out the same year as Fates in ALL parts of the world, both games were equally delayed, if we wanna be technical).
It's equally apt.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
(TMS came out the same year as Fates in ALL parts of the world, both games were equally delayed, if we wanna be technical).
It's equally apt.
For Fire Emblem, yes. You are right about that one.

But certainly not for Shin Megami Tensei. This group in particular liked the idea at first because the main titles wouldn't be in Persona's shadow anymore (until April Fools Day happened). Even if we want to get technical, Persona did have a sense of maturity and darkness compared to the Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Even the cast itself is more well developed too.

Not going to quote because mobile so ill tag instead.

Aetheri Aetheri
1. Being in development for 7 years doesn't automatically make a game a big deal. Based on the comments surrounding the game, im pretty sure this idea has gone through development hell once or twice before. It isn't like development on the Fed Force we know today started 7 years ago and continued non-stop all the way through. Also has it really been in dev for 7 years? I thought that t was something like the concept originating 7 years ago?

2. There is literally 0 way that Fed Force will be Metroid's last title. When you have a series so beloved like Metroid it wont go out without a fight. This isnt even close to chibi robo, which has always been super niche and as far as I know, a fairly confused series.

ESPECIALLY when Samus is such an absurdley iconic character as one of, if not THE girl of gaming.

3. Plenty of games have titles thay dont have the main character in the starring role. It's a normal thing. This would be the first time so it isnt like Samus is getting booted out of the series unceremoniously. If anything, I understand the dev teams desire to distance themself from Samus, which is such a touchy subject. Leave her revival to a mainline title instead of a spinoff. That way it is glorious instead of a sidenote like it would be if Samus played a major role.

4. Nintendo and transparency aren't synonymous. If antonymousis a word (i dont think it is) it would fit better. It sucks and we all know it but not much we can do about it.
:061:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To be honest, it's not really fair to compare TMS to Persona when the latter was already established and got the edge in care over the game's story. The characters actually went through realistic development like Kanji's arc revolving around his manliness (with many analyzing it as typical sexuality struggles) and Rise's dream of becoming an idol with worries of being deemed ****ty. The deepest you can go with Tokyo Mirage Sessions is Yashiro's extreme ideals of perfection he learned from his disappeared father (which borders on silly at times when he struggles with the concept of hunger or feeling emotion from taste). So there is much more complexity with the story and characters in Persona, which TMS chose to focus more on style and gameplay instead. That's kind of why some Persona fans do have a point that the two can't really be compared with each other.

Persona itself used to be just as niche as Shin Megami Tensei in its early days. But it wasn't until Persona 4 happened and BOOM! It's suddenly became more mainstream to newer audiences and a great way to introduce people to the world of Shin Megami Tensei. The only real difference is the heavy focus on The Alignment System (Law, Neutral, and Chaos), the Personas were explicitly called demons, and the stories are much more darker with the focus on humanity being at stake with the Amala System's worst beings.
Unless Atlus continues to make more main SMT titles after IV, then this whole Persona envy and backlash will never end.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ura Ura

I just found this.

Honestly this prototype is looking great and if were a fully fledged game I would defiantly buy it. I need my AW fix in my life. There's been other AW spiritual successors but this one is looking to be the best so far.

It's a shame because this might be the closest thing to Advance Wars 5 seeing as Nintendo just won't release a new installment in the series. Hopefully that changes in the future.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
To be honest, it's not really fair to compare TMS to Persona when the latter was already established and got the edge in care over the game's story. The characters actually went through realistic development like Kanji's arc revolving around his manliness (with many analyzing it as typical sexuality struggles) and Rise's dream of becoming an idol with worries of being deemed ****ty. The deepest you can go with Tokyo Mirage Sessions is Yashiro's extreme ideals of perfection he learned from his disappeared father (which borders on silly at times when he struggles with the concept of hunger or feeling emotion from taste). So there is much more complexity with the story and characters in Persona, which TMS chose to focus more on style and gameplay instead. That's kind of why some Persona fans do have a point that the two can't really be compared with each other.

Persona itself used to be just as niche as Shin Megami Tensei in its early days. But it wasn't until Persona 4 happened and BOOM! It's suddenly became more mainstream to newer audiences and a great way to introduce people to the world of Shin Megami Tensei. The only real difference is the heavy focus on The Alignment System (Law, Neutral, and Chaos), the Personas were explicitly called demons, and the stories are much more darker with the focus on humanity being at stake with the Amala System's worst beings.
Unless Atlus continues to make more main SMT titles after IV, then this whole Persona envy and backlash will never end.
Good thing is there's a game coming after SMT IV

:troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

> Took up a spot for a PoC character

Ladies and gentlemen, when Persona fans go wrong.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

> Took up a spot for a PoC character

Ladies and gentlemen, when Persona fans go wrong.
I don't even know what PoC character is.
But just using the phrasing of it, "screw this white blond feminine girl she should bx X instead" just screams "tumblrisms."

Edit: I hate being right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom