• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

No matter your opinion on the game.
It's a fact that Nintendo's adding another entry to its series. The first in... 6 years? The one thing that proves that Other M hasn't actually killed the series as some feared?

This is better than Metroid got in 2011 for the 20th anniversary.
It's not "Ultra Metroid" and it's not "Prime 4," I'll admit that.

But.

It's not like Capcom who had nothing for the anniversary of Megaman so they took a fan game and redistributed it.

It's not like Sonic and Zelda who have games coming out next year.
This is the anniversary title.

While it isn't the grandest, I'm personally tired of this "Nintendo's ignoring Metroid's anniversary" mentality.
So....in other words...

"Its better than nothing"?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So....in other words...

"Its better than nothing"?
It's better than nothing.
It's better than just rereleasing it's old games.
It's showing that the series is very much alive, and something that they still have "weird" ideas, wants in ways to take the series.
There's a drive in the staff in ways to make the series grow.

That, despite not having any real interest to purchase the game, makes me feel relieved. There isn't a gnawing fear that a "Super Metroid remake with updates equal to Zero Mission" would that they don't know how to even advance with the series. Something... that struck me, after Other M and replaying Fusion. The former putting the series into the drought it had for 6 years and the latter being what appears to be an intended... "End point" of the staples of the series.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm still not understanding the hate of Fed Force.

We didn't know Other M would cause an outrage until AFTER release, not before.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I'm pretty sure they could have made Metroid Prime 4 and the fanbase would complain.
The difference there is that you'd have people that wanted a 2d Metroid game (that carried on from Fusion) complaining.
Here it's people unhappy with a game that looks like wasted potential.

But saying Nintendo doesn't care when they obviously do is asinine and idiotic.
Now think why people say that.
Nintendo obviously care but they've done a piss poor job of showing that they care. That's why people have the conception of Nintendo not caring much. One tweet on the anniversary saying "Hey it's Metroid's 30th anniversary! Share some Metroid memories here! #MetroidMemories" or something to that effect is all it would've took.

Burruni

Smash Hero

It's not "Ultra Metroid."
It's not Prime 4.
The art style clashes with the "harsher" tone that many associate with Metroid. After all, the protagonist's origin story includes PTSD from watching her parents be eaten alive by a space dragon.
Samus is a side character to the first game Metroid's had in 6 years.

And it's all that's being released for the Anniversary year.

Those are the big things, from what I've seen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The difference there is that you'd have people that wanted a 2d Metroid game (that carried on from Fusion) complaining.
Here it's people unhappy with a game that looks like wasted potential.
We have no idea if the game has wasted potential yet.

Remember Blast Ball? People hated it when shown and yet it came out to a surprisingly positive reception because it was fun.

Now think why people say that.
Nintendo obviously care but they've done a piss poor job of showing that they care. That's why people have the conception of Nintendo not caring much. One tweet on the anniversary saying "Hey it's Metroid's 30th anniversary! Share some Metroid memories here! #MetroidMemories" or something to that effect is all it would've took.
You know that wouldn't have done jack.

It's a nice sentiment sure, but they'd just be eaten alive at this point.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

It's like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

May be a good game in it's own right but it's not the sequel (be it to Prime or Fusion) that was desired so it's hated for being different. Had either of those games come out when their series were strong, they'd have been much better received.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

May be a good game in it's own right but it's not the sequel (be it to Prime or Fusion) that was desired so it's hated for being different. Had either of those games come out when their series were strong, they'd have been much better received.
True. I'm having fun with Nuts and Bolts on my run of Rare Replay. It's not Banjo-Threeie, but still enjoyable.

D

Deleted member

In other news, Pokemon Go just got an update
You can change your nickname ONCE and the nearby tab has been slightly changed
It just has a patch of grass behind the Pokemon, I don't see any practical changes

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

The difference there is RARE more or less promised a Banjo Sequel

Then took the development at one point into a different direction and Nuts and Bolts was the result

While we were all hyped for another real banjo game

---

Federation Force though, at least they didn't promise anything better from the start. Fans expected something better

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In other news, Pokemon Go just got an update
You can change your nickname ONCE and the nearby tab has been slightly changed
It just has a patch of grass behind the Pokemon, I don't see any practical changes
Please tell me that they fixed that "what they claimed was a bug but I think was a feature that they hoped no one would noticed had changed" where Pokemon got stupid hard to catch..

Chrono.

Nintendo's being kinda crappy but I get why. Still would've nice for at least one anniversary tweet (when SEGA can get people to tweet about NiGHTS, a practically defunct series, you know you're not doing social media right)

I'm still sick of seeing the "woe is me" attitude from Metroid fans, it's just like the "**** Capcom" days with Megaman. I've even seen people compare the two, despite the totally different situations.
The difference there is RARE more or less promised a Banjo Sequel

Then took the development at one point into a different direction and Nuts and Bolts was the result

While we were all hyped for another real banjo game

---

Federation Force though, at least they didn't promise anything better from the start. Fans expected something better
Yeah Threeie was in development for a little while (and they told everyone) before Microsoft (or not?) threw a wrench into those plans.

Speaking of which, I really need to play those Banjo games.

D

Deleted member

Please tell me that they fixed that "what they claimed was a bug but I think was a feature that they hoped no one would noticed had changed" where Pokemon got stupid hard to catch..
I have no idea, these were the only two changes that were visible right away
Might have to look up if anyone has the patch notes

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
We have no idea if the game has wasted potential yet.

Remember Blast Ball? People hated it when shown and yet it came out to a surprisingly positive reception because it was fun.
For me Blast Ball was a mediocre fusion of Grifball and Rocket League with bad controls by virtue of being an FPS on a handheld. Maybe I just have a different definition of "fun" but it's not "fun" to have hands cramping after a few minutes of play time.

You know that wouldn't have done jack.

It's a nice sentiment sure, but they'd just be eaten alive at this point.
The least it would have done is alleviate the sentiment of "Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid!"
Yeah they'd be flooded with stuff related to Fed Force hate but you don't say nothing on the anniversary of a series that plenty of people love. SEGA got people to acknowledge NiGHTS of all things on it's anniversary.

Isnt it hard to tell what is wasted potential if what you are calling wasted potential isnt even out yet?
It's a team based FPS on a handheld.
That alone is wasted potential.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't like the new look for Pokego.
I don't like the grass, box slightly too big and Nearby was better than calling it Sightings IMHO.

But hey. Progress and the bug for no nice great or excellent throw xp bonus has been fixed so overall I'm happy about this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The sightings thing updates faster I think

So you know if the pokemon is no longer near you

That way you aren't travelling halfway around a lake before you realize you went the wrong direction

I haven't actually tested it out yet though. I think that's what people have been saying

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For me Blast Ball was a mediocre fusion of Grifball and Rocket League with bad controls by virtue of being an FPS on a handheld. Maybe I just have a different definition of "fun" but it's not "fun" to have hands cramping after a few minutes of play time.
Yeah, but a lot of people liked it.

The least it would have done is alleviate the sentiment of "Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid!"
Yeah they'd be flooded with stuff related to Fed Force hate but you don't say nothing on the anniversary of a series that plenty of people love. SEGA got people to acknowledge NiGHTS of all things on it's anniversary.
If its overshadowed by hate, why would they want to bring it up?

The negative will outweigh the positive.

It's a team based FPS on a handheld.
That alone is wasted potential.
That sounds neat to me.

Hell it even provides a niche that hasn't be capitalized yet.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Bruh, the game isnt even out yet, we dont know how its gonna be tho

And the same tired old excuse of "It's not even out yet!"

We got a demo in the Blast Ball release.
That's more than enough to give an impression of what it's like. Regardless viewpoints and footage from various outlets also give a good impression on how it'll turn out.

If its overshadowed by hate, why would they want to bring it up?

The negative will outweigh the positive.
The hate and negativity never stopped Nintendo from talking about Metroid before. Why should it suddenly stop them now?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And the same tired old excuse of "It's not even out yet!"
It's not an excuse.

That is literally the case.

We cannot make a full judgement on the quality of the game until its out.

Were you around when Other M was revealed?

EVERYONE WENT MAD ABOUT HOW THEY LOVED IT!

It was all they could talk about for almost a year.

People who said it looked dumb were basically crucified.

And yet, none of them could predict why it was bad or how it was bad.

Conversely, you know which game made a terrible first impression with people?

Okami.

The game was initially brushed aside as a "too Japanese centric" game and of course bombed.

It wasn't until reviews started to come out that people took another look.

Don't give me this crap that "It's not even out yet" isn't a good reason not to judge something.

We got a demo in the Blast Ball release.
That's more than enough to give an impression of what it's like. Regardless viewpoints and footage from various outlets also give a good impression on how it'll turn out.
And opinions are mixed at worst.

Blast Ball actually has a community.

People who play it regularly.

The hate and negativity never stopped Nintendo from talking about Metroid before. Why should it suddenly stop them now?
It did though.

Most of their announcements about the game have been very subtle.

Like the release date of Blast Ball
And the amiibo information

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6

Here's the Go Changelog:

Pokemon Go Changelog said:
-Added dialog to tell people not to play above a certain speed, and has you now confirm that you re not driving in order to continue playing.

-Curve ball accuracy improved

-Fixed the nice and other bonuses from not giving EXP.

-Fixed achievements showing incorrect medal icons.

-One time nickname change.

-Resolved battery saver mode issues and made it available again.

-Added visuals of Team Leaders.

-minor text fixes.

Lastly it adds this note:

"we're currently testing a variation of the Nearby Pokemon feature with a subset of users. During this period you may see some Variations in the nearby Pokemon UI.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Metroid fandom is reminding me of the worst of the Sonic and Mega Man fandoms simultaneously right now.

Considering I decided to back away from actively following the Sonic fandom for a while because of how bitter things were over there, that's. . .bad.

It's not like this is the first time Metroid has skipped a console. The 64 didn't get anything, either.

I get that a leftover Gen 7 game that was made to be someone's pet project rather than for the sake of the actual players isn't the best of news to get. But there's a point where even the worst of games can get a worse reaction that it deserves. And no matter how it turns out, Federation Force has already sailed well past that point.

I can think back to Nintendo trying to angrily force people to like Federation Force with their description of it. That was bad and unprofessional on them, but it also speaks to how ridiculous the reaction to it has been that it somehow got to that point in the first place.

And then people act like Nintendo slapped them in the face because something that was essentially a prettied up version of a game Nintendo is currently selling got C&D'd.

Yes, Nintendo should have handled the anniversary better. At least given Samus a cake on social media or something. Maybe let people know that they do have a mainline game in the works for the future.

But the Metroid fandom needs to take a nice long trip to Phendrana Drifts, because there is a serious lack of chill all around.

Burruni

Smash Hero
You know what.
Here's a hell of a comparison.
Amiibo Party - Federation Force - Color Splash.
Probably the three biggest causes for ire to Nintendo in recent memory.

Amiibo Party
- Spinoff nobody saw coming which seemed very akin to Mario Party.
- Incredibly bare bones
- Downright unenjoyable, from many reviews
- Hinges on peripherals and extra costs in the form of the amiibo cards.
- Wasn't the anticipated Animal Crossing console title.
- Came two years (?) after New Leaf's success.

Color Splash
- "Direct Sequel" to Sticker Star.
- While an improvement in most regards to that title, a bitter animosity stands.
- What we've seen from the game has it seem to follow the... "fomuliac" issues of most recent Mario titles. 7 Koopalings for 7 mcguffins/areas/worlds, sporadic Bowser Jr., Bowser Finale.
- Hated as much for what it is as it is as to what it's not.
- Came 3 years (?) after Sticker Star. A year or less after paper jam, depending on region. Both financial successes.

Federation Force
- Incredibly off the wall spinoff with a gameplay style that I can closest compare to Evolve or Monster Hunter.
- We really have no idea about the scope of it.
- It's the project that the series director has wanted to flesh out the world since the DS years.
- Almost all complaints, at least I've heard, is because of it being... "Non-Metroidy." In either the classic OR Prime sense of feeling. A kind of outrage... kinda understandable for an ANNIVERSARY title. Could this be from just too few people playing the demo? Quite possibly.
- Comes 6 years after Other M's crash to the series.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Poketubers are a thing of beauty.

I....
I get the jump of...
Mallow & August 1 info in general -> Chinese leaks are highly likely to be true -> "Aquanine" as one of the Alolan forms.
But the thumbnail is some Animorphs stuff right there!

Last edited:

Chrono.

I....
I get the jump of...
Mallow & August 1 info in general -> Chinese leaks are highly likely to be true -> "Aquanine" as one of the Alolan forms.
But the thumbnail is some Animorphs stuff right there!
Yeah whoever made the thumbnail didn't think it through.

D

Deleted member

In honor of Castlevania's 30th Anniversary, i decided to revisit Castlevania 3 and man, the game is brutal, its difficulty really is the only thing that truly hinders the game, and if it wasn't by the ridiculous difficulty, this could be my favorite NES game. Still, i do enjoy the game and the fact that you can play as multiple characters.

I wish i had the DS Castlevania games, but those are hard to find.

Oh and i found this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey guys.
Speaking of poor choice in wording not meaning what you intended.
Edit: The size probably needs a spoiler tag.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know what.
Here's a hell of a comparison.
Amiibo Party - Federation Force - Color Splash.
Probably the three biggest causes for ire to Nintendo in recent memory.

Amiibo Party
- Spinoff nobody saw coming which seemed very akin to Mario Party.
- Incredibly bare bones
- Downright enjoyable, from many reviews
- Hinges on peripherals and extra costs in the form of the amiibo cards.
- Wasn't the anticipated Animal Crossing console title.
- Came two years (?) after New Leaf's success.

Color Splash
- "Direct Sequel" to Sticker Star.
- While an improvement in most regards to that title, a bitter animosity stands.
- Hated as much for what it is as it is as to what it's not.
- Came 3 years (?) after Sticker Star. A year or less after paper jam, depending on region. Both financial successes.

Federation Force
- Incredibly off the wall spinoff with a gameplay style that I can closest compare to Evolve or Monster Hunter.
- We really have no idea about the scope of it.
- It's the project that the series director has wanted to flesh out the world since the DS years.
- Almost all complaints, at least I've heard, is because of it being... "Non-Metroidy." In either the classic OR Prime sense of feeling. A kind of outrage... kinda understandable for an ANNIVERSARY title. Could this be from just too few people playing the demo? Quite possibly.
- Comes 6 years after Other M's crash to the series.
On one hand, I can see why each of those three games isn't ideal. One that relies entirely on buying a separate collection of gimmick objects, one that follows in the footsteps of a game that did a lot of things people disliked, and one that has a strange multiplayer-oriented style that might not be pleasant to play alone and is anchored in it's roots as a game from a "casual" generation. Even outside of the context of caring about these series none of these games seem like particularly good ideas.

On the other hand, upon examining the lists it seems the common thread between all three is literally "It's not the game I wanted!"

Spinoffs were a mistake, I guess.

Burruni

Smash Hero
On one hand, I can see why each of those three games isn't ideal. One that relies entirely on buying a separate collection of gimmick objects, one that follows in the footsteps of a game that did a lot of things people disliked, and one that has a strange multiplayer-oriented style that might not be pleasant to play alone and is anchored in it's roots as a game from a "casual" generation. Even outside of the context of caring about these series none of these games seem like particularly good ideas.

On the other hand, upon examining the lists it seems the common thread between all three is literally "It's not the game I wanted!"

Spinoffs were a mistake, I guess.
Spinoffs when people have gotten into the mindsets that they're going to be seeing a big main line title of their pleasing will always lead to rage*

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
In honor of Castlevania's 30th Anniversary, i decided to revisit Castlevania 3 and man, the game is brutal, its difficulty really is the only thing that truly hinders the game, and if it wasn't by the ridiculous difficulty, this could be my favorite NES game. Still, i do enjoy the game and the fact that you can play as multiple characters.

I wish i had the DS Castlevania games, but those are hard to find.

Oh and i found this:
This one is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom