• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I dunno, Jason Griffith seems to like the series enough these days to do this:

As for what I think of the Sonic voice actors, I actually made a post about that somewhere else a few hours ago. I'll just copy paste:

"Not going to go super in-depth, but...

Ryan Drummond didn't get to do enough, he never really hit his stride, I feel. There was that one video where a fan interviewed him as Sonic, though. I think he sounded great there, and he clearly has a passion for the character. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back at all.

Jason Griffith is probably my favourite because he really nailed it around Unleashed. I've been playing Unleashed again lately as I had to do so for an article I was asked to write, and I'm really loving how he sounds. It's like he never left, he sort of is Sonic to me. I wouldn't mind him coming back at all. And he's still got it too!

Roger Craig Smith is great in the Sonic Boom TV show and in certain parts of Colours, but can be a bit meh, otherwise. I dunno, sometimes he's great, sometimes he's just OK. The Twitter takeover recently was great, though.

I'm not bothered to go into other characters but that's my thoughts on Sonic, since he's my favourite character."
Well, as far as MY favorite character. . .

I hear people get annoyed at Amy Platant's voice, but I feel like she put a bit more spirit into it than Kate Higgins. Kate's voice is lower pitch and thus less potentially annoying to outsiders, but her Tails doesn't really seem to have much . . .pep to him.

Obviously the Adventure and Heroes era voice actors can't work because the various boys matured out of it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's definitely a few. . .situations. . .that need to be ironed out, but just because there's some inconsistent things doesn't mean they should just throw the baby out with the bathwater and restart things altogether, at the very least because reboots tend to have rather high chances of turning out badly. And at least prior to the new writers taking over and any time they aren't involved there tend to be references and comments about past titles, so for a large chunk of it you can't exactly say they AREN'T connected, either. The main issue with interconnection is that the new writers apparently aren't required to actually know anything abut Sonic before writing a Sonic game.

If the writers would so much as do a basic wiki walk instead of just charging in blind and if someone gave a satisfactory explanation for what the heck is up with the moon repairing itself beyond "LOL it's just facing the other way," that would probably be a decent start. Don't just press the reset button, just. . .smooth things out a bit.

. . .Honestly Sonic's lore has some contradictions, but other than the moon thing everyone brings up they don't usually come screaming out at me. My mind breaks far harder trying to reconcile Splatoon's lore with real world logic and reason and internal consistency.
How are signals in space bouncing around for several thousand years creating faxes? How do said faxes contain information about things that will not exist for several thousand years? Why did humanity go out like a bunch of wusses? Why did sea life adapt to live on land if the oceans were constantly growing larger and thus encouraging them to continue living in the sea? How does a sea creature turn into a lifeform that dissipates in water? . . . ?-?
I'm not saying they need a full on reboot, just trim the fat and restore characters like Knuckles and Shadow to what they were before, and create a more compact and concise mythos all around for the future. Because it's literally impossible to link everything up in a way that makes sense, for the sole fact that Sonic has been to way too many worlds at this stage.

And just cycle out the use of characters. Like, not every character has to be in every game. But you also don't need to do the bare minimum every time either.

If there is one thing I will give Mario credit for when it comes to character utilisation, it's that they don't feel compelled to use every character in every game, even the core cast. Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser. Jr, and Rosalina are all core members of the Mario cast, but they are allowed to miss out on games. While the juvenile Mario/Nintendo fanbase seems to use this to say "this character is not as relevant now, HAHAHA", that's not the case at all, they just can't think of a good role for every character in every game so sometimes they just sit out.

Sonic should do the same with it's characters. Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot would be the constants. And then everyone else sort of tags in and out for major roles.

Chrono.

Oh, I don't have much of a problem about Roger voicing Sonic...aside from the fact that I still find odd hearing Young Ezio whenever he talks. Honestly, I liked the voice Sonic has in Brawl? I don't know the name of the voice actor, but I think it fits him the most.
That one is Jason Griffith.
I dunno, he sent me this and deleted it later:

View attachment 112767
Well ****.

Glad I muted him when he started it. lmaoooo

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm not saying they need a full on reboot, just trim the fat and restore characters like Knuckles and Shadow to what they were before, and create a more compact and concise mythos all around for the future. Because it's literally impossible to link everything up in a way that makes sense, for the sole fact that Sonic has been to way too many worlds at this stage.

And just cycle out the use of characters. Like, not every character has to be in every game. But you also don't need to do the bare minimum every time either.

If there is one thing I will give Mario credit for when it comes to character utilisation, it's that they don't feel compelled to use every character in every game, even the core cast. Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser. Jr, and Rosalina are all core members of the Mario cast, but they are allowed to miss out on games. While the juvenile Mario/Nintendo fanbase seems to use this to say "this character is not as relevant now, HAHAHA", that's not the case at all, they just can't think of a good role for every character in every game so sometimes they just sit out.

Sonic should do the same with it's characters. Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot would be the constants. And then everyone else sort of tags in and out for major roles.
Of course, not every character has to just be major roles or nothing.

Cream, Vanilla, Big, and the Chaotix, for example, are perfect for use as NPCs in an Adventure style game during their down time should SEGA ever decide to make a title like that again.

There's some characters like Silver and Blaze that would definitely work better as cycle-only due to their extreme lore, but others are fine to keep in the background even if they aren't playable.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Of course, not every character has to just be major roles or nothing.

Cream, Vanilla, Big, and the Chaotix are perfect for use as NPCs in an Adventure style game during their down time should they ever decide to make a title like that again.

There's some characters like Silver and Blaze that would definitely work better as cycle-only due to their extreme lore, but others are fine to keep in the background even if they aren't playable.
Silver and Blaze are actually one of the main reasons why I think the general background lore needs to be rebooted/retooled a bit.

Within main series games, Silver and Blaze literally have two different backgrounds.

Either they're both from a dystopian future. Or only Silver is. And in that case, Blaze is from another dimension.

In the former scenario, Blaze quite clearly has a crush on Silver, while in the latter, she clearly has a crush on Sonic.

And in the latter scenario, Eggman Nega is the main enemy to Silver and Blaze. Except that's convoluted and confusing as all hell because how can Eggman Nega be both Eggman's alternate dimension counterpart, and his descendant?

Stuff like this is just confusing to even the most ardent fans, let alone the average consumer.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
When it comes to voices I just stick to Japanese since those are the most consistent, having been the same since '98 except Tails (changed two times I believe) and Eggman (rip Chikao Otsuka).

Plus no one beats Junichi Kanemaru.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Let's hope Pontac and Graff don't ruin it, because they tend to find a way to make even the most compelling concepts as lukewarm as can be.

Because that would be an awesome plot idea.

Like if Sonic went through what happened at the end of Mario Galaxy and he's the only one who remembers stuff.

------------

I should be in bed but I'm getting real hyped.

Here's a video that helped pump me up.

If you're curious about the song, its You Say Run from My Hero Academia

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When it comes to voices I just stick to Japanese since those are the most consistent, having been the same since '98 except Tails (changed two times I believe) and Eggman (rip Chikao Otsuka).

Plus no one beats Junichi Kanemaru.
Except when it comes to the Werehog.

I love Junichi, but his Werehog voice leaves a lot to be desired, he makes Sonic sound like the comic relief "old pervert" character you see in anime.

Jason knocked it out of the park there though, legit sounds like a gruff brute, yet still maintains Sonic's smoothness, or his compassion where it applies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Silver and Blaze are actually one of the main reasons why I think the general background lore needs to be rebooted/retooled a bit.

Within main series games, Silver and Blaze literally have two different backgrounds.

Either they're both from a dystopian future. Or only Silver is. And in that case, Blaze is from another dimension.

In the former scenario, Blaze quite clearly has a crush on Silver, while in the latter, she clearly has a crush on Sonic.

And in the latter scenario, Eggman Nega is the main enemy to Silver and Blaze. Except that's convoluted and confusing as all hell because how can Eggman Nega be both Eggman's alternate dimension counterpart, and his descendant?

Stuff like this is just confusing to even the most ardent fans, let alone the average consumer.
I always disregarded the case of Blaze being from the future in 06 due to that game writing itself out of canon.

Damn son.
It's literally perfect.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I always disregarded the case of Blaze being from the future in 06 due to that game writing itself out of canon.

It's literally perfect.
Except you can't do that because Sonic Colours DS brings it back, as do the various Mario & Sonic Olympic Games.

See, it's confusing and convoluted no matter what way you look at it. :p

D

Deleted member

So I named my eevee "Rainer" trying to get the perfect high level vaporeon

And guess what

I got a flareon

That's like, the exact opposite of a vaporeon

That trick was supposedly "Confirmed"
Did you already had a Vaporeon before? I've heard that if you already have an Eeveelution of the one you want, the trick will not work anymore with said Eeveelution.

Example: In other words if you already have a Jolteon (regardless of it's name), naming another Eevee as Sparky will not make it automatically evolve into Jolteon.

Last edited by a moderator:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Except you can't do that because Sonic Colours DS brings it back, as do the various Mario & Sonic Olympic Games.

See, it's confusing and convoluted no matter what way you look at it. :p
Didn't Colors DS just sorta hint at Blaze and Silver knowing each other. There were like "Hey, we make a good team."
"It's almost like we've done this before."
I distinctly remember the exchange going like that. And the Olympics are the Olympics. I don't think they have much merit in whatever lore the Sonic games have.

Chrono.

Yeah Blaze and Silver's backgrounds are a dumpster fire.

They should retool them somehow, but not get rid of them either. Especially regarding Blaze.

D

Deleted member

Maybe that means they can now focus on releasing it in South America
I wish
The day Pokémon GO is released in South America and Latin America will be when the hype dies down and everyone forgets about Pokémon GO. I garantee it.

D

Deleted member

The day Pokémon GO is released in South America and Latin America will be when the hype dies down and everyone forgets about Pokémon GO. I garantee it.
I don't care because me and my friends are really hyped for it and we're gonna run around town like idiots until we get robbed
Every day I have to wake up to my newsfeed and it's basically this

D

Deleted member

I don't care because me and my friends are really hyped for it and we're gonna run around town like idiots until we get robbed
Every day I have to wake up to my newsfeed and it's basically this
As a Chilean i feel your pain.......

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
According to the NeoGAF thread, it's just a fake Nintendo employee doing it.
To add to this, someone is doing it to youtube videos to and Youtube doesn't care.

For example, they posed as a Nintendo employee to take down pokemon reaction videos to new news updates, and it actually worked. It's been done with a few videos before those I believe as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
God damn, I hate and love stories like this at the same time.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/exclus...-a-lost-brother-around-thanks-to-breath-of-th

--------------------

Yeah Blaze and Silver's backgrounds are a dumpster fire.

They should retool them somehow, but not get rid of them either. Especially regarding Blaze.
IMO, they should just do something like this:

-After Sonic '06, Silver goes back to his time, peaceful and restored, with civilisation blooming. Despite getting his ultimate wish, he feels lost, alone, and empty because it required Blaze sacrificing herself to seal Iblis. He also still remembers Sonic and the gang.
-Somehow, he finds a way to travel to the Sol Dimension.
-He meets Blaze there, but it's not the same Blaze. He kinda breaks down from the shock of seeing her alive and well, but she only vaguely recognises him. Despite not knowing who he is, she decides to play along and take him under her wing.
-Blaze and Silver now have a reason to come from a different dimension, without getting rid of Silver's past of the dystopian time.

I dunno, it's all I can really think of to merge the two backgrounds into something more coherent.

Didn't Colors DS just sorta hint at Blaze and Silver knowing each other. There were like "Hey, we make a good team."
"It's almost like we've done this before."
I distinctly remember the exchange going like that. And the Olympics are the Olympics. I don't think they have much merit in whatever lore the Sonic games have.
They don't hint about that at all. They flat out do no each other.

They explain that Blaze comes from another dimension, and that the "Sol Emerald transported her". But she still knows Silver (who still states himself as being from the future), and nothing odd is made of this. They just are good friends like they were in '06, despite that making know sense if Blaze is from another dimension.

And the Olympics do matter because even as early as Vancouver 2010 (4 years after '06), they are still referencing the two as close friends, even though Blaze is no longer using the "from the future" backstory. Those games may not be canon, but the fact they portray the characters this way (i.e. no different to the main series) means that it's official that Silver and Blaze are good friends. Even though that makes no sense.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Blaze has two backstories.
The best one which comes from the rush Games.
And then 06.

Silver also has two.
He has 06 of course.
And then there's Sonic Rivals.
Yeah, but the '06 one was retconned.

However, the problem is that Blaze and Silver are still depicted as being super close friends. But that should have been retconned too, since '06 was retconned.

I don't say that because I dislike the idea of them being friends, I just mean that it makes no sense in any way for them to still be such close friends, without some sort of an explanation. Which we don't have.

Plus, the fact that Eggman Nega is either Eggman's descendant under Silver's current backstory, or his alternate dimension counterpart in Blaze's backstory, is a huge problem.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
They don't hint about that at all. They flat out do no each other.

They explain that Blaze comes from another dimension, and that the "Sol Emerald transported her". But she still knows Silver (who still states himself as being from the future), and nothing odd is made of this. They just are good friends like they were in '06, despite that making know sense if Blaze is from another dimension.

And the Olympics do matter because even as early as Vancouver 2010 (4 years after '06), they are still referencing the two as close friends, even though Blaze is no longer using the "from the future" backstory. Those games may not be canon, but the fact they portray the characters this way (i.e. no different to the main series) means that it's official that Silver and Blaze are good friends. Even though that makes no sense.
Crap, I worded my comment wrong. I just meant that the game was referencing 06' a little. And I'm pretty sure they became friends in Colors and that's how they justify them knowing each other for the future games.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:126::128::108::077: A very decent batch of hatched eggs....

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh yeah, got my first 10km egg today on Go. I wonder what it will be.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Crap, I worded my comment wrong. I just meant that the game was referencing 06' a little. And I'm pretty sure they became friends in Colors and that's how they justify them knowing each other for the future games.
No, they are friends going into Colours.

Like nothing is made of it. There is no "they vaguely remember each other and bond after that" shtick or anything. They literally are just friends going into Colours, no different to how they were in '06. And this carries on in future games.

I mean there would be no problem if what you thought was the case was actually true (except Eggman Nega, he's just a cluster****), but unfortunately it's not that simple. :urg:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
No, they are friends going into Colours.

Like nothing is made of it. There is no "they vaguely remember each other and bond after that" shtick or anything. They literally are just friends going into Colours, no different to how they were in '06. And this carries on in future games.

I mean there would be no problem if what you thought was the case was actually true (except Eggman Nega, he's just a cluster****), but unfortunately it's not that simple. :urg:
I checked Clement's playthrough because I was curious about this myself.
At the 6:45 mark, Silver brings up "it's like we've paired up before."

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Hey now this looks pretty neat

It seems more like Brave and the Bold which I really loved

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I checked Clement's playthrough because I was curious about this myself.
At the 6:45 mark, Silver brings up "it's like we've paired up before."
That wasn't showing up in the video I checked, guess there are localisation differences.

In any case, I still generally think there isn't enough clarity on the issue, especially regarding Eggman Nega, which is still messed up even with this throwaway explanation.

Having a throwaway explanation 4 years after '06 in the lesser (and arguably non-canon) version of another game feels like way too little for what is a pretty complex issue.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I named my eevee "Rainer" trying to get the perfect high level vaporeon

And guess what

I got a flareon

That's like, the exact opposite of a vaporeon

That trick was supposedly "Confirmed"
You're supposed to back completely out of the app after you Nickname the Eevee that way the server's can update your name change. Other than that I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom