• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I can't believe it's been a year since Iwata passed away. I cried HARD when I heard the news.

Every since, every time I see him in a game's credits, I have to salute to him.

Sigh...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, in minecraft I just had a crazy event

12 skeleton horses with skeletal riders spawned. Had to kill all the riders.

Luckily most spawned in water and the water knocked them off

I know how a whole herd of skeletal horses

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Happy Birthday @BandanaWaddleDee ! I hope you have a great day. Thank you for protecting the mighty :4dedede:DDD:4dedede: all this time.
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/07/10/remember-satoru-iwata/

Can't believe it's already been a year.

It's a little saddening to have my thoughts brought back to that day, but it's also pretty amazing how influential he is even today.
One year since he died and I still have problems to believe he's gone. It's still sad to think about it today...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I fondly remember the day it was announced that Satoru Iwata passed. It was towards 7-9PM that day and I was browsing Smashboards when I came across this...

http://smashboards.com/threads/satoru-iwata-has-passed-away.409941/

I was quite literally starstruck for like 2 minutes straight trying to grasp what I was reading because it wasn't comprehending in my mind. It was just surreal to see what happened.
I woke up at 7 something am and whent on twitter.

First thing I saw was he ded.

Too unexpected and shocking and sad at the same time. :(

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Honestly, I'm still in a bit of disbelief of Iwata's passing. It all happened so suddenly. I can't believe it has been a year.

Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. You were taken away too soon.

Just had a Knight (Not even a general) just reach level 2. . .and get 0 stat boosts

RNG it is way too soon for RNG to already be ****ing me over. Literally chapter 1 (after the prologue)

EDIT and now a dude just alks up and joins the army

No pretense. . .just like "sup i'll help"

Alright nice backstory dude

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*checks youtube* I haven't seen anything related to Game Theory in years, I don't care about his new vid. Speaking of, if anyone watches it, can they confirm if I'm right? It's 'PHEONIX WRIGHT IS A CRIMINAL'. The facts that he's lied his way through court and fools around on crime scenes for evidence are probably getting mentioned

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Time sure flies. It's been one year since Iwata's death, and I feel sad thinking about it. He's done so much for Nintendo that allowed the company to play a big role in my childhood.

D

Deleted member

Just had a Knight (Not even a general) just reach level 2. . .and get 0 stat boosts

RNG it is way too soon for RNG to already be ****ing me over. Literally chapter 1 (after the prologue)

EDIT and now a dude just alks up and joins the army

No pretense. . .just like "sup i'll help"

Alright nice backstory dude
What game are you playing?
*checks youtube* I haven't seen anything related to Game Theory in years, I don't care about his new vid. Speaking of, if anyone watches it, can they confirm if I'm right? It's 'PHEONIX WRIGHT IS A CRIMINAL'. The facts that he's lied his way through court and fools around on crime scenes for evidence are probably getting mentioned
Half of his evidence is obtained through illegal means, I'm surprised the only time this is brought up is by Gant in 1-5

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Half of his evidence is obtained through illegal means, I'm surprised the only time this is brought up is by Gant in 1-5
He gets his attorney badge taken away from him because of this in the events prior to Apollo Justice. For fake evidence he didn't even do himself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He gets his attorney badge taken away from him because of this in the events prior to Apollo Justice. For forging evidence he didn't even forge himself.
I was more so talking about the fact he disrupts people's privacy all the time

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

GROOOOOAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN

I'm just going to let this comment speak for itself...

Falcon4242
Oooooh, MatPat, this is your worst theory yet. Firstly, this game doesn't follow the same rules of discovery as in real life. Each trial can only occur for a maximum of three days in the game, so discovery would be impossible. Edgeworth (the prosecustion) does a similar thing in Case 2, when he presents an "updated" autopsy report that the court knew nothing about. Discovery is not a requirement in this fictional court system. Secondly, you shouldn't trust a localization lead when talking about settings. In the original Japanese game, the setting was Japan. The localization team changed the setting in order to make the game more appealing for Western audiences. Why is this important? It means the the Constitution and the illegality of "search and seizure" does not exist. Even in the new setting though, again, the trials only last for three days, making the requirement for search warrents absolutely ridiculous. It's likely an Amendment was passed to ignore the "search and seizure " clause when a suspect was apprehended. Lastly, Phoenix was not obstructing justice in the 2nd Case. The receipt of which you speak was never "taken" by Phoenix. In fact, if I remember correctly, he was the one who showed the receipt to the Detective in the game. That's why Maya was arrested, because of the receipt. Adding something to the Court Record does not mean Phoenix took the evidence with him, that's why the game will sometimes say "Slipped into pocket" instead of "Added to Court Record". Don't make a theory on this game without playing through the entire trilogy or pay more attention to detail. The later games make the Court System of which they use more clear, while there are countless fans online willing to explain just how the game and setting works. You just look silly to any fan of the series now.
25 minutes ago•131

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair...

Everyone in Ace Attorney does that.

It's less Phoenix and more of the terrible system.

Hi Japan.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair...

Everyone in Ace Attorney does that.

It's less Phoenix and more of the terrible system.

Hi Japan.
And hell it makes absolute sense. Because the game were built of a satire of Japan's legal system.

...MatPat does know that right?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know. Honestly I look at Game Theory in a similar way I look at something like DidYouKnowGaming, another channel I know has gotten (while not as much keep in mind) flak here every know and then.

Personally I don't really care for GT myself, but I can certainly see the charm behind it. Much like how I'm into DYKG because I love seeing how game develop works out; it's this reason why I also adore Liam Roberston and Unseen 64 because there are a lot of great stories behind games. Both that have been completed and those who haven't.
Likewise, I can see why people can get behind the theories. Because yeah they can be interesting to see. Even the few videos I've seen I can understand the appeal. It's no different than any other fan theory out there and people have a right to make them.

Just to be clear, I am in no way justifying anything nor defending anyone. They have screwed up as much as they've hit hard and people should call them out on it. But I also don't think people shouldn't be able to like the channel nor that anyone who has the gall to like Game Theory is now a degenerate. Far from that.

Now of course we do have other cans of worms like MatPat seeming to have a bit of an ego or fans taking "theories" as fact or even superseding canon, but those are other stories in of themselves. So this is just more what I think of the channel itself and why I think it as an appeal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know. Honestly I look at Game Theory in a similar way I look at something like DidYouKnowGaming, another channel I know has gotten (while not as much keep in mind) flak here every know and then.

Personally I don't really care for GT myself, but I can certainly see the charm behind it. Much like how I'm into DYKG because I love seeing how game develop works out; it's this reason why I also adore Liam Roberston and Unseen 64 because there are a lot of great stories behind games. Both that have been completed and those who haven't.
Likewise, I can see why people can get behind the theories. Because yeah they can be interesting to see. Even the few videos I've seen I can understand the appeal. It's no different than any other fan theory out there and people have a right to make them.

Just to be clear, I am in no way justifying anything nor defending anyone. They have screwed up as much as they've hit hard and people should call them out on it. But I also don't think people shouldn't be able to like the channel nor that anyone who has the gall to like Game Theory is now a degenerate. Far from that.

Now of course we do have other cans of worms like MatPat seeming to have a bit of an ego or fans taking "theories" as fact or even superseding canon, but those are other stories in of themselves. So this is just more what I think of the channel itself and why I think it as an appeal.
tbh those 2 can't be compared. DYKG gets flak for stuff OUTSIDE the video, wheras Matpat can be downright stupid and has an ego as large as Arin Hanson's

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
tbh those 2 can't be compared. DYKG gets flak for stuff OUTSIDE the video, wheras Matpat can be downright stupid and has an ego as large as Arin Hanson's
Let me put this way:
I'm not comparing the two of them outright, but more comparing my enjoyment of DYK's videos to someone that likes Game Theory.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Glad I've never watched any Game Theory video.
Personally I think they're worth checking out just to see if you would like them.
After all we're merely just users with opinions. If mine had any actual weight Jojo's Bizarre Adventure would be the Holy Grail by now.

...Okay maybe I'm over-exaggerating but you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is beautiful....

This is kinda what I was hoping the Galaxy stage would have been initially (Where you can walk around the entire planet although that would have probably been a little broken). Can't wait to see it developed further with model imports probably allowing for the whole planet to be implemented with collisions at some point in the future....

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*Game Theory talk*

I've ranted on it enough before, but I'll put things fairly nicely this time and actually sit down and look at it's merits and it's flaws.

Game Theory as a concept is great. A show dedicated to coming up with theories on popular video games in an attempt to give fans a more vivid interpretation of the game worlds. Nothing wrong with that, and there's plenty of theory channels like this that I enjoy watching.

Game Theory is a little different to most theory channels in that in that most of the time, it focuses on past games or characters rather than looking to speculate the future of a franchise using logic (such as things like Zelda: BotW timeline theories).

It also focuses on implementing science into the equation, rather than focusing too heavily on the logic and "science" of these actual game worlds. That's also fine.

However, there are a few problems with how he utilises the concept.

Main thing being - implementing real world science into many game universes simply does not work. It works for stuff like "Barrel Roll is actually an Aileron Roll", and the Star Fox universe in general, as that series is founded on ideas based around science. He's actually totally right on that one. But trying to use real world science to ascertain things about the Mario universe, especially stuff like genetics? It just doesn't work (btw, MatPat even got stuff wrong on his genetics "analysis" on Rosalina, like claiming she is right handed, when she's been well proven to be ambidextrous - of course he noticed this and try to BS his way out of it). Especially when it's already been proven by much more thorough scientific studies that the Mario universe cannot feasibly exist under real world scientific laws, as most of it's planets would explode in seconds within our universe and it's scientific laws.

It also doesn't seem like there is any point to his theories, other than trying to give himself something to wave around and say "LOOK HOW SMART AND RIGHT I AM". When you are theorising, there's supposed to be a real purpose behind it, like trying to see where the story of a game franchise will go, or piece together clues to answer old mysteries. MatPat, more often than not, doesn't do this. He does it sometimes, and usually, those are the actually good theories he makes, like the recent one about Melee, which was essentially a 3D modeling and texturing lesson in a way, and seeked to find out what that weird texture of the cafe actually was.

But what is the point of "Mario is a psycho"? "Rosalina is Peach and Luigi's daughter"? "Link is actually dead in Majora's Mask"? "The creator of FNAF is wrong about his own game"? All these theories actually accomplish, is people who don't know better (i.e. people who haven't played the relevant games or weren't deeply invested enough to care much about the lore or characters involved) eat them up and spread them as fact, when any fan of the games who appreciates the lore and characters within can disprove them in seconds. It just spreads misinformation and makes being a fan of the characters or games become more frustrating, especially if you create some kind of content related to the character. For example, there are plenty of pieces of well-intentioned, cute fan-art of LuigixRosalina (after all, Galaxy shipteased them a little), before and after MatPat's theory. But since MatPat's theory, it's become common for people to actually bother the artists because they are "encouraging father/daughter incest". Like what?

It's gotten to the point where I feel like most of MatPat's theories are intended to just be A) clickbait, and B) intentionally shocking and "innocence crushing" just for the sake of it.

Theories are fine, but they should have more purpose to them than just being there to bolster a man's ego or to provide shocking titles and thumbnails on YouTube.

If you want to watch theory videos, there are far better places than Game Theory. If you're a Zelda or Kingdom Hearts fan, I recommend HMK. He actually knows his stuff regarding Zelda (and KH, but MatPat hasn't touched KH yet as far as I'm aware).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom