• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
But online service is something that used to be free.

Having to pay for it now, without offering anything new to entice the change is unjustified, and greedy.

And as I said, it sets a bad precedent.
Its Ninty playing catch up with the other companies. Yeah its sucks but they're a business trying to rake in the dough. Difference is, this move can actually hurt them.

So if you're asking me if I support it, the answer is no, no I don't. Ninty's decisions of late have been questionable, which is why I'm not jumping the gun with this Switch.
It wasn't old news, but a few days old
Yeah I made an edit above, apologies.

Still. BB =/= Borderlands.

D

Deleted member

i dont think you understand how renting works if you use it and free in the same sentance
Are we really gonna argue semantics?

They give you a SNES game for free, which you are forced to give back at the end of that month.

Meanwhile on PlayStation, you get a free AAA game which you get to keep.

Are you seeing the difference here?

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Pokemon battling and trading will undoubtedly be a part of the service offered, and require a subscription, and that you use their mobile app.

In which case, would you pay? $60 a year.

Here's another thing. For $60 a year, very few games and potential games on Switch take advantage of the service. Whereas nearly EVERY PS4 game offers online features of some sort.

So say, Smash, MK8, Splatoon 2, and Pokemon. All have online features.

$60 a year, Voice Chat and lobbies through your phone, no miiverse, no free games (you get to rent a SNES rom for free for one month), meager discounts, same VC library as the Wii U. Connection is more stable than Wii U, but it needs the $30 Ethernet adapter.

Would you pay for it?

And are you fine with this deal when compared to the competition?
I never said I would, only gave FalKoopa some information. But no, I won't. I probably won't buy Splatoon 2, I never play Smash online and while I do play Mario Kart online I only play that game in really short periods. That leaves Pokémon and spending 60 extra bucks for one game that used to be free is a no go for me.
And those NES/SNES ROMs are probably games I already played and which I have to pay for if I want to play it again after the trial ends.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

They give you a SNES game for free, which you are forced to give back at the end of that month.

I didn't know this until now.

This is hilarious in a sarcastic sense. Its the one thing you don't expect Nintendo to do, and they do it anyways.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

You need the subscription to rent it, thus, it isn't free. And to be fair, once your subscription ends, you can't play the PS+ game

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Assuming you actually have stuff to leak and aren't simply making up random **** for attention, and seeing what sticks.

Also, I saw the Jim video as well. He's certainly not happy with the Switch. I was gonna post the video, as his thoughts are identical to what I've been saying for months, but I've already been too much antiSwitch Tbh.

The online was something I wanted to ask everyone here though

Those of you buying a Switch, how do you feel about the online?

And when comparing it to the competition, how do you justify it?

You can't get away with simply charging a premium for online service, you gotta offer something, this is why PlayStation for example gives you discounts, and even FREE GAMES. Plus it's got built in voice chat, etc... It's a worthwhile deal. Nintendo on the other hand, despite having the biggest catalog of of games out of anyone in the industry, will let you rent a NES/SNES game for one month. Offers no direct VC, no additional features, and costs $5 amonth, MORE than PS+.

It's incredibly greedy, since it's not justified.

And no, servers aren't expensive, most games today are in fact p2p. That's b.s., online service is ACTIALLY super profitable for companies.

However, here's why I ask. If Nintendo gets away with offering this service, and people don't complain told vote with their wallet, then it sets a precedent, and then Sony and MS will copy Nintendo, and offer a bad service at a high price, and we all lose. So no, it's not OK when Nintendo does it.

So again, future Switch owners, how do you justify the online service Nintendo is offering?

And if you can't, thenand please make sure you just don't go along with it, and DEMAND Nintendo offer something better.

Because that is b.s., and if you enabled this ****, we all lose.
Wait, where did anyone say Nintendo's price for charging online? I thought that wasn't announced yet and I can't find it on their website.

At any rate, while their voice chat is too stupid to even mention, they DID say they were going to be offering discounts as well, so no, the game isn't the ONLY thing.

And since Sony and Microsoft already know they can get away with charging for online, why wouldn't they reduce features more and more over time even without Nintendo?

I'm not justifying it so much as knowing that there's no other console to really turn to, I don't care enough about the Playstation/Xbox ecosystems to be wooed by some extra shovelware that I won't play, and I don't want to be locked to just PC. I'm a bit confused about some of the points you made without knowing where they came from, though.

D

Deleted member

You need the subscription to rent it, thus, it isn't free. And to be fair, once your subscription ends, you can't play the PS+ game
Well yeah, but it validates having to pay $50 a year, and is much better than a SNES rom you gotta give back once the month is over.

I'm at least glad no one is defending this online service. That's good.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

semantics? renting is you paying to have the game for a week and if you dont return it on time they charge you more money for every day your late, what you describe is a friend letting you borrow their game for a period of time to see if you actually want to buy it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well yeah, but it validates having to pay $50 a year, and is much better than a SNES rom you gotta give back once the month is over.

I'm at least glad no one is defending this online service. That's good.
The worst part is that the NES games cost 5 each. A monthly subscription costs as much as one, but you can keep it for as long as you want
https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/01-18-2017/

Upcoming Fire Emblem titles

Plural. Get ready.
Probably the mobile game included.
Regardless, let's check timezones!
England 10PM
Europe 11PM
For ****s sake, can we Europeans get good times?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The worst part is that the NES games cost 5 each. A monthly subscription costs as much as one, but you can keep it for as long as you want

England 10PM
Europe 11PM
We got 2PM times for a while IIRC. Suposes that's bad in a different way if you're working though.

D

Deleted member

Wait, where did anyone say Nintendo's price for charging online? I thought that wasn't announced yet and I can't find it on their website.

At any rate, while their voice chat is too stupid to even mention, they DID say they were going to be offering discounts as well, so no, the game isn't the ONLY thing.

And since Sony and Microsoft already know they can get away with charging for online, why wouldn't they reduce features more and more over time even without Nintendo?

I'm not justifying it so much as knowing that there's no other console to really turn to, I don't care enough about the Playstation/Xbox ecosystems to be wooed by some extra shovelware that I won't play, and I don't want to be locked to just PC. I'm a bit confused about some of the points you made without knowing where they came from, though.
Hell will freeze over before Nintendo offers 75% discounts on brand new games like PS does.

Right now, Blazblue Central Fiction and Doom are both under $17 for PS+ subscribers, despite having just come out.

And I got Bloodborne for free. Hardly what I'd call "shovelware."

In fact, half my library on PS4 is free, thanks to account sharing with my brother overseas.

You won't be seeing ANY of this on the Switch, guaranteed.

Yet, you still gotta pay $5 a month to have online, oh, and you gotta buy an Ethernet adapter for a stable connection, because Nintendo can't into hardware, despite both Xbone and PS4 having it built in.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

England 10PM
Europe 11PM
when your countrymen make a game company & console and have a large enough following that it can host its own directs
with first party titles till then get a night job i guess

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
England 10PM
Europe 11PM
To be fair, during Smash 4 speculation we woke up with a Pic of the Day and most Nintendo Directs at the time were also about 4 or 5 PM.

D

Deleted member

when your countrymen make a game company & console and have a large enough following that it can host its own directs
with first party titles till then get a night job i guess
We have plenty of Studios that makes some of the best games in the world m8.

CDProjekt Red, Rockstar, and Rareware all hail from Europe.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
semantics? renting is you paying to have the game for a week and if you dont return it on time they charge you more money for every day your late, what you describe is a friend letting you borrow their game for a period of time to see if you actually want to buy it
You're still arguing semantics. Focus on the major point, not word choice.

That being said, my opinion on the online depends on the price-to-features information, so I'm withholding judgment for now.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Kind of a waste to show off just one game...

Wait this is Nintendo we're talking about....nvm
i take it you werent here for the splatoon direct or the smash bros directs?

We have plenty of Studios that makes some of the best games in the world m8.

CDProjekt Red, Rockstar, and Rareware all hail from Europe.
shame i said they had to make a console too

regardless why do i get the feeling FE:mobile will be a game in the spirit of FF record keeper

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Uh...

If this isn't a full on HD remake...

I'll have some issues...
If they are gonna do a massive remake in HD for Fates, they might as well do it for Awakening

That said, they will have to do it in HD because they can't sell those graphics from the 3DS just being upscaled. It needs more.

Much more.

It seems everyone that plays this, ends up loving it.

I'm glad.
They should its a really good looking game.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
i take it you werent here for the splatoon direct or the smash bros directs?

shame i said they had to make a console too

regardless why do i get the feeling FE:mobile will be a game in the spirit of FF record keeper
There wasn't a new system around the corner when those directs were broadcast...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Badabing, official
Also Injustice
So this kind of soft-confirms Bane and Poison Ivy, at least.

Edit: Robin, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not being a paid online person myself, I think it would be nice if I'm still able to access non-multiplayer online features in certain Switch games such as uploading and playing other players' created levels in a Mario Maker sequel/port. LittleBigPlanet 3 on PS4 pulled the same thing off if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Badabing, official
Also Injustice
- Robin (Damian)
- Joker
- Bane
- Poison Ivy
- Brainiac
- Darkseid is indeed the pre-order character
- Green Lantern is confirmed by this

Also a character gamepaly reveal is next tuesday
9 additional fighters is on the Ultimate Edition box

Oooooooh do tell. I'm still crossing my fingers that Zatanna comes back.
1. Joker
2. Bane
3. Poison Ivy
4. Swamp Thing
5. Black Canary
6. Catwoman
7. Cyborg
8. Hal Jordan
9. John Stewart
10. Cheetah
11. Firestorm
12. Flash
13. Scarecrow
14. Green Arrow
15. Captain Cold
16. Brainiac
17. Damian Wayne
18. Black Adam
19. Doctor Fate
20. Power Girl
21. Zoom
22. Mr. Freeze

Some of these characters will be through armor/skins (Zoom via Flash for example)

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
- Robin (Damian)
- Joker
- Bane
- Poison Ivy
- Brainiac

1. Joker
2. Bane
3. Poison Ivy
4. Swamp Thing
5. Black Canary
6. Catwoman
7. Cyborg
8. Hal Jordan
9. John Stewart
10. Cheetah
11. Firestorm
12. Flash
13. Scarecrow
14. Green Arrow
15. Captain Cold
16. Brainiac
17. Damian Wayne
18. Black Adam
19. Doctor Fate
20. Power Girl
21. Zoom
22. Mr. Freeze

Some of these characters will be through armor/skins (Zoom via Flash for example)

i cant belive neather realm is ripping off smash bros with its "premium costumes"
:troll:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Having paid online for the Switch makes sense. Then there'll be more stable online for games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614

It looks like the media narrative on Bowser is finally changing all according to plan

On Nintendo's subscription service: My major hope that it will be more functional the whatever the current standard. If they need the extra funds from a subscription to provide a better network infrastructure, so be it. The other offers seem rather poor right now. In an ideal world, Nintendo would charge lower than Sony or Microsoft for their online services in recognition of this. Then again, the whole service will be on a free trail until the fall, which is plenty of time for people to decide for themselves. As usual, just wait and see until things actually happen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
- Robin (Damian)
- Joker
- Bane
- Poison Ivy
- Brainiac

1. Joker
2. Bane
3. Poison Ivy
4. Swamp Thing
5. Black Canary
6. Catwoman
7. Cyborg
8. Hal Jordan
9. John Stewart
10. Cheetah
11. Firestorm
12. Flash
13. Scarecrow
14. Green Arrow
15. Captain Cold
16. Brainiac
17. Damian Wayne
18. Black Adam
19. Doctor Fate
20. Power Girl
21. Zoom
22. Mr. Freeze

I just think it's hilarious they revealed John Stewart as an alternate for Green Lantern...without officially revealing Green Lantern.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why are the super heroes like, the Tron versions of themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom