• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Soooo... Anybody else think the game looks really empty? There's things to do but most of it doesn't seem to matter. Like the combat. We already know it won't be garbage like TP at least but it seems like Sticker Star where you use weapons to get more of the same weapons.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except Wolf Link never time traveled in Twilight Princess outside of going to the Temple of Time for a dungeon.

And the Hero of Twilight lost his Wolf Link form by the end of TP as far as we know.

Wolf Link showing up absolutely messes with canon.
Cool. But completely irrelevant. Especially when that's not what he meant by canon either. I misunderstood that bit too.

He just wants a Zelda partner who showed up in an official Zelda game. That's all.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Usually high expectations result in disappointment. My high expectations are being blown out of the water.
This is the best E3 demo I've ever seen from any company. I am so happy.

D

Deleted member

Soooo... Anybody else think the game looks really empty? There's things to do but most of it doesn't seem to matter. Like the combat. We already know it won't be garbage like TP at least but it seems like Sticker Star where you use weapons to get more of the same weapons.
It's the starting area.

Honestly, it's got more Dark Souls and Monster Hunter vibes than Sticker Star.

Cool. But completely irrelevant. Especially when that's not what he meant by canon either. I misunderstood that bit too.

He just wants a Zelda partner who showed up in an official Zelda game. That's all.
They already confirmed Link is solo unless you use the amiibo. Thank god tbh. That's more like classic Zelda.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

You're really grasping at straws if you're gonna say "SMASH LINK WOULD BREAK SO MUCH".

It's literally just TP Link, except not quite. For all intents and purposes he would be the same character as TP Link. And it would make most sense if the Link amiibo were to do anything. Hell, most people wouldn't realise the difference anyway.

Like I said, Fates used the amiibo in that way because that's the lore behind the Smash amiibo/trophies. All of them. Not just the Fire Emblem characters. It applies to all uses of the Smash amiibo going forward.

So I don't see why Link can't summon Smash Link for the Smash Link amiibo support, from a lore logistics standpoint.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I tried to come up with a good response to this.

But I just can't. Comparing breaking weapons to the train wreck of Sticker Star's combat is such a huge leap of logic, I'm lost.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think even mineraft would be a better comparison

Using tools to grind material and getting more tools with the resources you gather

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You're really grasping at straws if you're gonna say "SMASH LINK WOULD BREAK SO MUCH".

It's literally just TP Link, except not quite. For all intents and purposes he would be the same character as TP Link. And it would make most sense if the Link amiibo were to do anything. Hell, most people wouldn't realise the difference anyway.

Like I said, Fates used the amiibo in that way because that's the lore behind the Smash amiibo/trophies. All of them. Not just the Fire Emblem characters. It applies to all uses of the Smash amiibo going forward.

So I don't see why Link can't summon Smash Link for the Smash Link amiibo support, from a lore logistics standpoint.
No.

The amiibo in FE show up because of Awakening's Outrealm DLC. Likewise, Wolf Link showing up in another game is just a fun ad-on, canon be screwed.

Think of the Tingle Tuner. Did anyone ever question Tingle just randomly showing up whenever Link wanted? No, it was just a feature for those who had Game Boys.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I love how you just chuck your weapon at your enemy...

'hmmm...my club won't reach? **** it'
*throws club*

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No.

The amiibo in FE show up because of Awakening's Outrealm DLC. Likewise, Wolf Link showing up in another game is just a fun ad-on, canon be screwed.

Think of the Tingle Tuner. Did anyone ever question Tingle just randomly showing up whenever Link wanted? No, it was just a feature for those who had Game Boys.
No, the FE amiibo are literally summoned from Smash, and are the Smash incarnations of those characters. It's literally spelt out right in front of you in the game.

The Smash amiibo were modeled after the Smash trophies for a reason. In Smash itself, you summon the character's trophy which comes to life, as is the general lore of Smash. Using these amiibo in other games does the same thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

He only wants a Zelda character to be summoned if they're from a Zelda game only. That's it. There is no special logic to this. Your logic does not change his opinion on this. This has nothing to do with any kind of logic. He's not asking you to change yours. Try reading what we're saying and not repeating points that are clearly irrelevant.

And yes, he could summon Smash Link. Bladezer never said he couldn't. What he did say it's something he'd prefer not happen. No more, no less.

They already confirmed Link is solo unless you use the amiibo. Thank god tbh. That's more like classic Zelda.
I'm aware. But that's kind of not the point. In context, Bladezer specified the types of characters he thinks would be cool to summon via the amiibo. All he said(although he used a bad term) and meant was and only this; "I prefer characters who showed up in official Zelda games to be summoned this way." Simply put, there is no other meaning beyond that.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I tried to come up with a good response to this.

But I just can't. Comparing breaking weapons to the train wreck of Sticker Star's combat is such a huge leap of logic, I'm lost.
Never said the actual combat was bad, but why fight to earn weapons when you have weapons? What's the point here? Every single time they've gotten the same stuff that they started with and a bunch of trash they're just leaving behind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never said the actual combat was bad, but why fight to earn weapons when you have weapons? What's the point here? Every single time they've gotten the same stuff that they started with and a bunch of trash they're just leaving behind.
It's actually not a bad comparison. But there's going to be more to it than just "collect" weapons anyway. Dungeons exist. Upgrades exist. Etc. So it won't really be a problem anyway since breakable weapons are just replaced by the ton you find later. It shouldn't be an issue.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
No, the FE amiibo are literally summoned from Smash, and are the Smash incarnations of those characters. It's literally spelt out right in front of you in the game.

The Smash amiibo were modeled after the Smash trophies for a reason. In Smash itself, you summon the character's trophy which comes to life, as is the general lore of Smash. Using these amiibo in other games does the same thing.
The amiibo may be summoned from Smash, but the idea came from Awakening's DLC first.

I've been here for a while. I'm well aware of the Smash lore.

Only you would take an issue over the Wolf Link amiibo.

That's just what they're highlighting. You can use the weapons until they break should you so choose.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
He only wants a Zelda character to be summoned if they're from a Zelda game only. That's it. There is no special logic to this. Your logic does not change his opinion on this. This has nothing to do with any kind of logic. He's not asking you to change yours. Try reading what we're saying and not repeating points that are clearly irrelevant.

And yes, he could summon Smash Link. Bladezer never said he couldn't. What he did say it's something he'd prefer not happen. No more, no less.

I'm aware. But that's kind of not the point. In context, Bladezer specified the types of characters he thinks would be cool to summon via the amiibo. All he said(although he used a bad term) and meant was and only this; "I prefer characters who showed up in official Zelda games to be summoned this way." Simply put, there is no other meaning beyond that.
I just feel that's a ridiculous line of logic in the case of Link.

I'd understand not wanting to summon Mario or something.

But even if Smash Link is technically not part of Zelda canon, I feel like saying he shouldn't show up on that basis is a stretch and a half.

It's still a pointy eared blonde Hylian with a green tunic, green pointy hat, and a Hylian Shield and the Master Sword. It's still Link. Saying he shouldn't show up because he's not technically part of Zelda canon is a stretch and a half.

The amiibo may be summoned from Smash, but the idea came from Awakening's DLC first.

I've been here for a while. I'm well aware of the Smash lore.

Only you would take an issue over the Wolf Link amiibo.
And? Awakening introduced the concept of Outrealms, but that doesn't change my point at all or how the Outrealm concept was used in Fates and with the amiibo.

And what issue did I take with the Wolf Link amiibo?

It's other people that are taking issue with the idea that Smash Zelda character amiibo could summon those characters on the basis that they technically aren't part of Zelda canon and would "mess it up". I just pointed out that Wolf Link is breaking canon as is so taking issue with other amiibo for that reason is hypocrisy.

I've also been singing the praises of the Wolf Link amiibo functionality constantly, even stating that I want three both in-game and in real life.

Please read posts correctly next time before you comment on them and try to be a snark and hint at a grudge (again). Otherwise, I won't be so forgiving and considerate when you PM me (again) about how I made you feel bad over a silly video game discussion that I happened to know my stuff in.

Like seriously, that was condescending as ****. I hate condescension from people who lack the merit to warrant it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh my god...That gameplay. Those graphics...The amiibo...The British Zelda voice! I... I can't believe it at all. I want it. Now. And the new mons are all really cool! Free For All is finally a thing too! I'm gonna be spending a loooooooot of money on Nintendo aren't I

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The female players are right, shivering Link is cute.

But shirtless Link is even cuter. :smirk:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There's already memes based on the Sun and Moon gameplay:

And metronome free for alls need to happen.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

But even if Smash Link is technically not part of Zelda canon, I feel like saying he shouldn't show up on that basis is a stretch and a half.

It's still a pointy eared blonde Hylian with a green tunic, green pointy hat, and a Hylian Shield and the Master Sword. It's still Link. Saying he shouldn't show up because he's not technically part of Zelda canon is a stretch and a half.
Look this is just my opinion on this, your free to disagree, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It's not ridiculous logic. He wants to keep it canon.

You seriously are overthinking this. His opinion is simple. Trying to nitpick it over and over instead of accepting it is ridiculous.

But I'm done with this. You're too pedant to just accept he prefers a different idea. It's not worth wasting my time on a pointless argument here. You know what he means. Stop trying to tell him otherwise.

D

Deleted member

No.

This.

Nintendo's design philosophy has always been gameplay first, canon be dammned. As far as canon goes, it's shown you can only use the feature after you clear the Cave of Shadows in TP. The new Zelda seems to be set in the WW branch of the timeline. It's suggested that it might be a new branch depending on who touched the triforce at the end of that game, The King, or Ganondorf, BotW being if dorf touched it. We'll see though. Regardless, the connection to WW is heavy, meaning that Wolf Link isn't time traveling, since that's what we see in OoT and SS but rather, dimension hopping, something Wolf Link is very much capable of, and is seen doing when you record your save onto the amiibo.

Enjoy, I just made sense of it for you guys.

Anyway, I for one am very content with the new Zelda. I wrote a post on here about 3 years ago after beating SS about what Zelda needed to do to not suck, citing that it needed to go back to LoZ roots, and drop the OoT ****ing and linear dumb easy puzzles. And that it should take cues from TES Skyrim and Monster Hunter in regards to crafting, and freedom of exploration. Most people disagreed then, but... looks like I outright called it. Glad Nintendo got similar ideas.

BotW is easily the best game at E3, and that's saying a lot since this E3 saw tons of awesome games. Best show goes to Sony hands down, so many games. Looks like it's high time I bought a PS4. Nintendo's show overall was very lackluster tho, and Pokemon looks boring. At least it wasn't an embarrassment like last year. Zelda defo saved their show. I was expecting them to fall flat on their face after last year and Skyward Sword, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not ridiculous logic. He wants to keep it canon.

You seriously are overthinking this. His opinion is simple. Trying to nitpick it over and over instead of accepting it is ridiculous.

But I'm done with this. You're too pedant to just accept he prefers a different idea. It's not worth wasting my time on a pointless argument here. You know what he means. Stop trying to tell him otherwise.
And I'm saying that's a flawed reasoning on the basis that canon is already broken by the Wolf Link amiibo.

It's fine if people don't want Smash Link showing up. But you're better off doing so for no reason and admitting that it's irrational personal preference, than giving reasons that just don't make sense.

Nintendo's design philosophy has always been gameplay first, canon be dammned.
...This has literally been my point this whole time.

We've already got Wolf Link (as in literally the exact same character from Twilight Princess, ankle cuff and all), the little tree dudes from Wind Waker (I always forget their name), potentially Twilight Portals (Wolf Link comes in through one and I do believe I saw one in the world itself), the game apparently being set before or after the first Zelda game, and god knows what else. TPHD also hinted towards the Rito and Ramuh, as well as the Oocaa, making an appearance.

I don't think they are too concerned with canon in this game.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I didn't see any of the footage of Zelda Wii U. Been doing other things.

I'm just waiting/hoping for it to be uploaded online later so I can watch it then.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering that rumour about a female playable character in Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been debunked, that would mean that the rumour about Retro working on a new IP is no longer particularly likely. To be honest, at this point, it's more likely that Retro is working on another Donkey Kong game, probably featuring the return of the K. Rool and the Kremlings.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
There goes people with the Donald Trump jokes again. I fail to see any similarities with Yungoos and Trump.

I bet you say the same for Ganon, right? :troll:
Weeeeelll.

And for your information, Ganon IS a sexy beast. How can one not appreciate that dominating Gerudo figure he has? Not to mention that laugh that only a weak villain can be jealous of.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I don't think Wolf Link being in the game is supposed to be considered canon in the first place. It's just an Amiibo feature...

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I didn't see any of the footage of Zelda Wii U. Been doing other things.

I'm just waiting/hoping for it to be uploaded online later so I can watch it then.
Don't worry, Nintendo usually archives the Treehouse streams on their Youtebe channel, so you should be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom