• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
As someone who likes Star Fox: Zero, I can see how it was a drop in the bucket. If the game came out during the Wii U's launch or somewhere between 2013-2014, the game would have been more successful, or at least not as much as a flop as it was.

But it came out at a time were people were done with the Wii U. I'm not saying they should of rushed it out earlier, it's just that its timing was rather poor.

If we do get another Star Fox title, I hope it will be more traditional (in terms of controls) and not another reboot.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Don't ask me how, but I think the fact that trying to innovate a rail shooter was the problem.

I love the genre. My brother and I spent a national budget playing Time Crisis 3 together. Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of my favorite 3DS games. Star Fox 64 is a game I still quote to my cousins for a good laugh... over 10 years later.

This current market, despite my willing to put up with all the failings of the genre, has no love for it. Another Star Fox game on rails will most likely fail.

So Miyamoto needs to do what he does best: innovate. Take it in another direction.
Zero's failure was due to trying to keep the tried and true (what the fans wanted) with a new controller, but that fell flat.

Bullet hell might work, but the action needs to stay behind the Arwing. That's hard to do.

I don't really have the answers. If someone comes up with a good concept, I'd like to hear it. I'm probably the most low-key Fox in Space fan here, but I'd be interested in new ideas.

If anything, I just really don't want to see this thing die off. (And if it does, I'll just replay 64 until my hands fall off.)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
But Andross is too big to be a fighter. :p

Inb4 Star Fox Zero body concept art.
I'm pretty sure Ridley's main problems were flying around and the proportions looking off when resized. And definitely the wings too.

A floating monkey head with hands wouldn't look as bad when downsized.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm pretty sure Ridley's main problems were flying around and the proportions looking off when resized. And definitely the wings too.

A floating monkey head with hands wouldn't look as bad when downsized.
Then you remember how big an actual Arwing is compared to the size of his hands.

But I would only agree if they bring back the strange British Jamaican accent he had in Star Fox Adventures.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What was the final straw to make you do so?
I got a level 2 warning for telling a customer to "**** Off"

They said If I got even a single complaint within the next year, all the way until December 2017, I'd be fired

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Sometimes I'd like to see Miyu Lynx & Fay Spaniel from Stair Fax 2 make a revival.

Though I think it's just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
You know, even though he scrapped it and made Kid Icarus: Uprising instead. Maybe Sakurai should be in charge of the next Star Fox game?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
All the "rail shooters are dead" talk makes me worry even more about Kid Icarus with there already not seeming to be anyone who wants to keep it going. . .although since it made a massive genre jump in the first place and was only half a rail shooter anyway, my ideal fantasy just has it shifting over to Land Battles almost entirely since I don't feel as though the rail shooter element will be very comfortable without a dual screen touch control setup.

Basically my ideal image of it would be something roughly akin to how some Ratchet and Clank games handle it. Primarily ground fighting with perhaps a handful of flight levels when going between some locations and much larger and more exploration filled ground areas as a tradeoff. Although I see Kid Icarus being much, MUCH flashier with it's flight transition levels than R&C simply because that's how Kid Icarus works.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The weird thing is, while the manager was talking to me, she said "I find it disturbing you aren't showing signs of remorse"

...I'm sorry, why should I feel remorse?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I played through the Portal level in LEGO Dimensions (not the level pack, the one that comes with the game)

I played only about halfway through Portal 2, but I absolutely loved the LEGO level. Makes me excited to get the Portal level pack.

There's even an interaction with GLaDOS and Hal-9000 from 2001: A Space Oddesy

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Then you remember how big an actual Arwing is compared to the size of his hands.

But I would only agree if they bring back the strange British Jamaican accent he had in Star Fox Adventures.

Holy ****, how did Rafiki appear in a Star Fox game?

And let's not forget the strangely mesmerizing way Andross dies in the same game.

Simbaaaaaaaaaaaa!

*dies*

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Are. . .are Ridley's "proportions" considered so bad that even a disembodied head with hands is considered more qualified than him?

I always though Sakurai's reasoning was that his size was part of his character and that making him playable would cheapen that. There's several other villains that could qualify under the same reasoning.

Although if disembodied heads are considered more on the table than Ridley then it's worth pointing out that Dr. Kawashima would rank well above and beyond Andross on the pecking order.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Are. . .are Ridley's "proportions" considered so bad that even a disembodied head with hands is considered more qualified than him?

I always though Sakurai's reasoning was that his size was part of his character and that making him playable would cheapen that. There's several other villains that could qualify under the same reasoning.

Although if disembodied heads are considered more on the table than Ridley then it's worth pointing out that Dr. Kawashima would rank well above and beyond Andross on the pecking order.
A playable Kawashima would be sweet. If only BluePikmin were still here.

But then there's the possibility of the real deal not wanting to see his face publicly beaten by a virtual plumber and bombs.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Kind of taken out of context, basically what happened was it got banned from LC just because it baton pass quiver dance. :p
Isn't the combined use of baton pass and Quiver dance already banned in LC for increasing speed and other stats? Or is that speed stat baton pass rule ignored in LC? (I haven't tried Little cup on showdown lol)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So...Since several have already played through Sun and Moon, and with pretty much no surprises left for us, I figured now's as good a time as any...

Favourite Gen VII Pokemon (including Alola forms and Ultra Beasts)
obvious spoilers ahead...

Popplio really did not deserve the hate it got in the beginning...While I don't particularly care for the basic and middle stages all that much, Primarina is without a doubt a solid Pokemon, easily my favourite water type in this Generation...Water/Fairy is such a good typing, and Primarina's Z-Move is probably my favourite out of the starters...I can get over the feminine design it has for a starter pokemon because it's still a pretty good design overall...

When it comes to final evolutions, Rowlet won in the end...Made everyone double take when it gained the Ghost typing, which made it's already solid design all the more intriguing...Appears to have the most thought put into it's concept considering all the theories surrounding this pokemon, as well as the lore that goes behind it's possible inspiration from various legends involving Owls and such...Also Archers are pretty damn cool...Ghost Archers are also cool...Ghost Archer Owls are even more cooler...

aka Nebby :3
It's been a while since I was this captivated by a mascot legendary...I just love it's design and just how much presence it evokes when you view it either in the overworld or in battle (it literally blocks your view of the opposing pokemon in battle, it kinda funny) It comes across as being very intimidating, yet majestic and mysterious...There's also it's involvement within the story as Cosmog (who is frikkin adorable btw) and it's relationship with Lillie (who is easily my favourite character in the game), it's something you just don't see as often regarding the legendaries in Pokemon games...Solgaleo is still pretty cool but IMO Lunala is so much more interesting as a pokemon...both in design, typings, concept, etc...Being a Ghost type helps (not for it's weaknesses mind you)

despite it's big weaknesses it can still take hits pretty damn well (it's ability helps though)

Let's be honest here...I wanted a proper Wolf for the longest time, and while pure Rock isn't exactly the most exciting typing they could've given it...Lycanroc doesn't dissappoint...it still comes across as being rather fierce and rugged...running around Vast Poni Canyon and hearing it's cries actually made me feel like I was wandering in the wilderness being stalked by a pack of wolves that remain out of sight...Which evoked that sense of uneasiness...

I actually really like the idea of it having two different forms, and these forms, while they still count as the same pokemon are actually different enough in their own way to kinda be considered different pokemon...both have their appeal, but I vastly prefer Lycanroc's Midday form over the midnight form...First of all getting a priority Rock type attack is a godsend...and quite frankly Lycanroc's Midday form was probably my most clutch Pokemon on my team in my first playthrough (mostly because it's one of two pokemon I had that wasn't weak against rock) and it's one of the few Gen VII pokes that isn't slow as ****...in fact it's actually fairly fast especially for a Rock type...

I can also appreciate the poosible influences behind this pokemon as its likely based off of the wolves Skoll and Hati of Norse myths...

A fan favourite and for good reason...It's just such a lovable little Pokemon...It just wants to be loved <3
There's also the fact that going into Sun and Moon speculation Ghost/Fairy was my most wanted type combination due to the potential it had to be a rather creepy combination in terms of lore and while Mimikyu is a cutie, it is also creepy in it's own way....it also has one of the most disturbing pokedex entries since it can possibly kill you if you get a glance at what it really looks like...

Also have you guys played with it in Refresh?

I, like many others, was excited when we got the teaser for the little Woodpecker, Pikipek...While I never expected it to evolve into a Toucan, I'm glad it did because this is a really cool pokemon. It's got just the right amount of colour you'd expect from a tropical bird and it appears to have this "just try me" attitude....it's signature move (which is pretty frikkin awesome btw) reinforces this attitude since it's a literal **** you to those who try to attack it while doing this move...

It's just such a cool pokemon and it's got an amazing shiny form...

it is also the only pokemon that I used twice so far, though the other time it was more of a temporary placeholder and it jsut so happened to stay long enough to evolve...

I mean....I am #TeamLitten for a reason...I still like Incineroar....but to be completely honest it was still pretty damn disappointing for it's final evolution...I never was a fan of the whole wrestler motif, and Torracat is okay, at least for a middle stage...

But Litten is just so damn cute!!!!! I just love how it's just doesn't care...it could cough up a hairball and set your house on fire and not be phased whatsoever...

Mrowr!

Ok....While I am a huge fan of Lunala and was an advocate for Team Moon...I played Sun first and it was simply for the sole purpose of using Alolan Ninetales on my first playthrough...I did get both versions anyway so it wasn't a huge deal, but I just love what they did for Ninetales in Sun and Moon, BY FAR my favourite Alolan form and easily my new favourite Fairy type Pokemon...
It's just so beautiful and majestic...It feels like this is what Ninetales was meant to be...just look at it use Dazzling Gleam is just glows so beautifully!!
Unfortunately it's probably one of the main reasons why Alola forms as a whole was just a big disappointment to me because I just loved what they did for pokemon like Ninetales and Marowak, and seeing how they became almost completely repurposed it just seemed to open up so many possibilities for other pokemon but at the tail end of speculation they just fell short with metal wig dugtrio and swollen faced persian...

I still love Alolan Ninetales though!! I liked Ninetales before...but I LOVE it now...

First of all....Jangmo-o is easily the most adorable pokemon released in this Generation...I don't care what anyone says Jangmo-o is too damn cute...

Secondly....

We have a scaly armoured Komodo Dragon that does the Haka...let that sink in for a moment....

And despite the huge fairy weakness, it has a pretty decent typing as well! Maybe it's just my bias for hard hitting Dragon types as a whole but Kommo-o is definitely one of my favourite pokemon in this Generation...While I did pass around this theory that Jangmo-o would evolve into a Griffon which turned out to be wrong, I'm definitely not unhappy with what we got instead!

What a shocker!! :lol:
I don't know what it is about this thing but the more I use it the more I love it!!! Sure it's annoying that our regional Bug type won't evolve until damn near the end of the game, and that you're stuck with a squishy battery for pretty much thirty or so levels before then (which actually is not nearly as bad as it sounds because as a Charjabug it put in some serious work even handling Totem Mimikyu quite effectively which is considered one of the hardest Totem Pokemon in the game)...But this thing is just so damn awesome!! It still suffers from being one of many slow pokemon introduced this Generation but it still hits like a frikkin truck!
Easily my new favourite Electric type and one of my favourite Bug type (after :212: & :214: of course)

To quote myself when it was first revealed...
It's nasty as **** and I love it!!!

Honourable Mentions
Golisopod
Salazzle
Alolan Marowak
Passimian
Ribombee

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's time I ask you all yet another Pokemon related trading question; does anyone here have a spare Japanese Ditto I could make use of for the Masuda Method? If not, that's alright; I was just curious. :p

I finished up my PokeDex to those who remember my earlier questions about capturing Tapu Fini; I ended up deciding to use my Master Ball after 9 attempts at synchronizing with a Timid Kadabra. It was for the best in my eyes.

Also, it seems like we have a new member here; welcome Spurdo Spurdo ! :)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hell, even Raymna could be our token disembodied limb fighter.

Still more feasible than Monkey Darth Vader.

D

Deleted member

idk man, you never know. Smash is very, VERY unpredictable. Never rule out anything when it comes to the big man Sakurai
That kind of attitude is why there are people who un-ironically support Shrek for Smash.

While Sakurai has picked characters that not many had seen coming beforehand, that doesn't mean "anything goes". You still need to speculate within reason.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hell, even Raymna could be our token disembodied limb fighter.

Still more feasible than Monkey Darth Vader.
Pretty sure Star Fox is pretty much the Nintendo equivalent of Star Wars.

Even he does have the voice to match Vader.

Last edited:

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
That kind of attitude is why there are people who un-ironically support Shrek for Smash.

While Sakurai has picked characters that not many had seen coming beforehand, that doesn't mean "anything goes". You still need to speculate within reason.
well yeah but I don't know what rule makes it so we won't have Andross before Ridley. frankly I find Andross to be a highly unlikely character in general but still

also,

>not wanting Shrek

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Every time I hear "proportions" come up, I imagine a certain character saying "Ridley is too big" and the other major characters from that game shooting him a look.

To think further on the thought this time around, he then mentions how good of a character HE'd make only for everyone else to point out the obvious. Cue a defense about proportions that increasingly devolves into purple prose self praise, probably with some kind of Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick moment at the end before someone cuts him off.

Then later he proceeds to make a comment about Ridley being big enough to be a stage and everyone just stares at him harder.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To me, Shrek died the day Shrek the Third happened. Still like the first two movies and found Forever After ok, but Shrek the Third is one of the worst Dreamworks films next to Shark Tale for me.

I have low expectations about the fifth film that's coming soon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I don't think he meant it that way. It's not like he's saying someone like Master Chief or Kratos should be in the game.

And besides I don't think :4wiifit: was within "reason" exactly when it came to Smash speculation. Not that I like her anyways but still.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I know there was some discussion a few days ago about Plumeria being an underwhelming character in the S/M games, so that made me think of a question to ask everyone here:

What is everyone's opinion about Faba and his role in the story?

Make sure you put your answer in the spoilers tag just in case.
I'll respond to my own question.

Looking back at him now, I personally think Faba was the most forgettable major character in S/M.

When you first meet him, all he does is just tells you, "You there, go beat up that Team Skull Grunt for me." You beat the Grunt, then he tells you to meet up in the hotel. You meet him in the hotel, he takes you to Aether Paradise, you run into Wicke, he establishes himself as a guy who is really arrogant about his position, then leaves you with Wicke for her to let you learn more about the Aether Foundation.

You only encounter him again during the Aether Paradise raid arc. Your first battle with him is a laughable joke (though the second battle was better due to the Multi Battle you had to go through, but in my experience in that second battle, both trainers went more after Hau then my own Pokemon), and from there, all the guy really did was trick you into exploring more of the Aether Paradise, but even then, that really didn't leave much of an impression on me. He also just served as the man who gets the ultimate roast by Gladion and Hau (Gladion tells him, "Shouldn't you know that, Mr. High-and-Mighty-Branch-Chief," while Hau calls Faba out on his trick). We also learn that he apparently hates kids, but it's only more of a mention than something we actually see (I think that's one aspect that could've been improved upon in the story: show more of that children-disdain coming from him).

His battle in the post-game was alright, and we learn he got demoted, but judging from his dialogue there... I'm actually skeptical he could be a main antagonist in Stars. He speaks about his demotion like it will change him for the better, and you don't see any resentful tone coming from him compared to, say, Malva in X/Y.

Faba was okay.

He's near the bottom tier for me because I feel he was just a less interesting Colress who ultimately doesn't do much. Whether Stars is a sequel or 3rd version, I hope he gets a bit more of exposure.

Plumeria was far more wasted imo, you could remove her character and replace it with a generic grunt and there'd barely be a difference other than the game missing a Poison specialist.

Wicke also has a similar issue, there is a bit more intrigue with her since she's rather morally ambiguous (yes she's nice to Lillie and Gladion, but she also didn't directly oppose Lusamine either).
Most of Plumeria's moments were forgettable indeed, but I personally loved her moment in Poni Island when she apologized to Lillie and the player for her past actions, pointed out that Lillie and Lusamine share similarities with each other in their commitment to their goals, and the reason why Guzma was working with Lusamine. That scene left a much bigger impression on me than Faba's biggest "moment" in Sun and Moon, enough to the point that I consider Plumeria more memorable than him.

But yeah, Wicke was definitely better than both characters because of that moral ambiguity going for her.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On one hand... Starfox isn't dead? Yay and all that~

On the other hand... Miyamoto... darling... can you please let someone else put more energy into it? I've already played your one Star Fox story a bunch.

OH
MY
GOD.

They need to hurry up and build this in Orlando asap.
Mamma mia! A very predictable yet nonetheless good name. :)

Plz don't be 90% Mario-related stuff, 8% Zelda and 2% everything else plz plz plz

D

Deleted member

And besides I don't think :4wiifit: was within "reason" exactly when it came to Smash speculation. Not that I like her anyways but still.
Don't go down this road. It will not end well for either of us.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
My current hype aside, I'm a little worried the American parks will get the short end of the stick compared to Japan.

I'm hoping we get something as big as the Harry Potter area in Orlando, preferably bigger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom