• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, honestly the E4 theme just didn't leave much of an impression on me. It just feels kinda...sterile, I guess? Yet I loved Sun and Moon's, funnily enough.
I'm the opposite oddly enough.

Love the Kalos theme to bits.

I actually really dislike the Alola one.

The instrumentation is just.... awful in my opinion. Just a bunch of noise.

It's a shame because I like the composition, but the instruments are so grating.

And I still don't like the gym leader theme, haha. It makes stylistic sense, as you said above, but it's really just not my cup of tea.
Ah well. Opinions.

I'm not gonna argue over whether people like a piece of music or not. That'd be petty.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm the opposite oddly enough.

Love the Kalos theme to bits.

I actually really dislike the Alola one.

The instrumentation is just.... awful in my opinion. Just a bunch of noise.

It's a shame because I like the composition, but the instruments are so grating.
Alolas E4 music was damn intimidating to me. and the instruments were like me scrambling to beat them
Maybe it had that good of an affect on me because I had a hard time

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
:upsidedown:
This is true.

XY in general feel like it's missing a couple pages, it's almost sad how SM make them look in comparison. SM (ORAS too) feels like a much more fleshed out experience that sets itself up for a possible sequel, but it could live without one. Meanwhile XY felt like a step backwards and like it was just stalling for a third version update, except the 3rd version never came so it just feels like an incomplete region and set of games.

Even the legendaries had barely any lore to them, just weapons for Lysandre to use and even Zygarde didn't get a shot in SM and instead was just a sidequest, justifiably so I believe.

egaddmario egaddmario

Fun fact, SM did this with another Power Plant.

Even worse because THERE IS A ROAD LOADING TO IT but there's a fence the way. Whoopsy daisy.
I noticed that but it didn't bother me as much because the fence made it at least seem like there wasn't supposed to be anything behind it. The Kalos doors were just locked. At least there was a fence :upsidedown:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alolas E4 music was damn intimidating to me. and the instruments were like me scrambling to beat them
Maybe it had that good of an affect on me because I had a hard time
To me its not that they sound intimidating.

I just think it sounds bad.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The Original Ultra Beast

My theory is that UB are Pokémon that remained unused because their designs were too bizarre until they found a way to give a reasoning to their looks.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@|Ersatz| @Erureido

It's that time again. You know, another Attack on Titan chapter is out.

The Owl has one of the nine titan powers, the Attack Titan. And it turns out that the Owl is quite the manipulator to have made his way through the Marleyan elites and sacrificed many of his fellow Eldians to keep this disguise and help the Eldian rebellion in secret.

After telling his past to Grisha about how he saw previous revolutions fail and in his guilt of having sacrificed so many of his own kin, he entrusts the Titan power to Grisha so he can infiltrate the walls and find the original titan power (perhaps, it's the coordinate?). This power is, of course, in the hands of Eren, who is also the true name of the Owl, implying that Grisha named his son after him, which makes sense since the Owl inspired him to be part of the Eldian revolution.

As the Owl keeps talking, it turns out inheriting titan powers is not without a cost: the inheritor has 13 years of live remaining. Ooh, the unlucky 13. I wonder if this is an intentional choice by the author for some symbolism.

As suggested in the previous chapter, these flashbacks are being relayed by Eren to Armin, who's taking notes. Eren knows this from both the memories he's inherited alongside the titan powers as well as the information found in the basement. The two realize they both have a rather short lifespan now that they've both got titan powers within them. If that person dies without bestowing those powers, they're sent to another Eldian person. All titan power bearers are drawn to this mysterious original titan power.

The debates that follow are interesting. Was Ymir a messenger of god or a devil? There's no definite answer, as the two sides paint her in different ways, fitting each of their agendas. There's so much that could be said about this, wouldn't you agree? The truth could lie somewhere in between, after all. Overall, I like the political undertones behind this story and how realistic they are portrayed, in spite of the otherwise very fictional scenario.

Owl's debate on whether letting Dina become a mindless titan or be caught by the Marleyans and left to their own schemes is also insightful on his idea of sacrifices. Choosing a lesser evil is sometimes the only option in such a dilemma. The Owl knows he couldn't have saved all of his countrymen. That is his burden, but not something that will stop him from achieving his goal: the freedom of the oppressed Eldians.

That contrasts greatly with Grisha's pain in losing his wife, his son and his friends. He likely would have not joined the movement if he knew that he was going to suffer like this. That, of course, is very much in line with this series' main message: without sacrifice, nothing is achieved. That is beautifully shown as the Owl goes on a rant to make Grisha stand up, keep fighting and atone for his sins, much like how he fought to atone for his own sins and achieve the freedom they desire.

Grisha dared to step outside the walls because he, like the Owl, wants to be free. As such, he stands up and continues the Owl's fight. Grisha inherits the Attacker Titan, a titan that represents the desire of freedom: the Owl's freedom of not being oppressed because of his ethnicity and Eren's desire to step outside of the walls and see the world outside. And in a sense, those represent their respective predecessor and successor Grisha's desires as well.

The juxtaposition of this final dialogue with the Survey Corps' soldier and its winged logo really drive this point home.

Of note, this titan's name in Japanese is actually "Shingeki no Kyojin" (meaning "the attacking titans", but since there are no plurals in Japanese unless actually specified or implied by context, the expression can be both and serves as a title allusion and its possible true meaning: the Attack Titan, as in the title character, Eren!). Of course, the translation Attack Titan also alludes a bit to the title, but not as exact as the Japanese original.

Whew, I wrote a lot. I've really enjoyed these chapters for their depth and political themes. Very thought provoking and relevant to the current times too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still subscribe to the headcanon that MissingNo. was an Ultra Beast. :p

I don't dislike Kalos either, I've probably played Y more than any other Pokemon game, but the story, most characters, and postgame were really weak. I also didn't like how easy the game was... I don't think I lost even a single battle.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I don't dislike Kalos either, I've probably played Y more than any other Pokemon game, but the story, most characters, and postgame were really weak. I also didn't like how easy the game was... I don't think I lost even a single battle.
The olny battle I kept losing too was the water E4 trainer. I think his garados kept killing me

D

Deleted member

Alright, so, I need to talk about this, and this is important so please read it:
Bungou Stray Dogs has a variety of abilities(also called "gifts" in the series) for its characters and they're mostly all pretty unique, all referencing one of the works from the author the specific character is based on, like Steinbeck whose ability is Grapes of Wrath and Lovecraft with his The Great Old One(then again that's not his gift but that's discussion for another day).

But then you get **** like this guy's ability
Screenshot_2016-12-09-17-02-18.png

The big bad from the Guild Arc known as Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald.
His ability allows him to gain physical strenght.
That sounds pretty boring, especially for a main villain, until you find out how it's activated...
And it's by literally throwing checks around... no, seriously, he gets stronger by spending money.
He even did it with a credit card this episode.
Well, at least he admits it

Money doesn't bring him happiness but it sure as hell brings him the power to beat up an edgelord and a furry teenager
And if that isn't the coolest power in any work of fiction then I don't know what is.

Also, yes, his wife is called Zelda
"Roll credits" *ding*
*raises hand* I liked Kalos...

In fact

I liked the friends in X and Y, then I did Blue.

Also I noticed a while back, people brought up Goku, I think I have one of he many reasons why he, and other non-video game characters will never get into Smash Bros, from a purely business stand point.

Its a pretty simple one, its basically why most anime video-games don't see worldwide releases. Basically, think of all the companies that have rights to the Dragonball all around the world,which basically adds up to licensing nightmare, which would lead to the amount of many that would needed to be spent to buy the rights to Goku, just makes him and others like him really not worth it.

Now if we compared Goku to someone like say Master Chief, even though Master Chief would probably never happen, but when compared to Goku, I'm sure as a business Nintendo would rather procure the rights to Master Chief, because its a simple case of talking to Microsoft, and only Mircosoft, where as Goku requires all the Japanese, American, European, and other companies that have the rights to the Dragonball brand, it adds up to something that no one would really want to deal with.

Also, I know that you lot move past it already, but if Gamecube VC is happening, can we please have a peripheral that allows the Wii U tablet and Wiimotes, to be played on the Switch, please, so that we can have the Digital eshop be ported over to the Switch, obviously with something like a £20 price drop for all digital versions of physical games.

Plus, if Luigi, Toad and Yoshi are playable in Super Mario Run, can we please have Peach playable as well, please.

Oh, and hi @Zoroarking

You still Trap trash? Or have you finally give into Yuri as the Serperior of the 2?

And Yes I did force a Pokemon into that sentence just now.
Oh yeah, I certainky have given into Yuri... on Ice, that is :troll:
My headcanon is that the UBs you find in SM are the equivalents of Rattata and Pidgey in their dimension

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Alright, so, I need to talk about this, and this is important so please read it:
Bungou Stray Dogs has a variety of abilities(also called "gifts" in the series) for its characters and they're mostly all pretty unique, all referencing one of the works from the author the specific character is based on, like Steinbeck whose ability is Grapes of Wrath and Lovecraft with his The Great Old One(then again that's not his gift but that's discussion for another day).

But then you get **** like this guy's ability
View attachment 121793
The big bad from the Guild Arc known as Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald.
His ability allows him to gain physical strenght.
That sounds pretty boring, especially for a main villain, until you find out how it's activated...
And it's by literally throwing checks around... no, seriously, he gets stronger by spending money.
He even did it with a credit card this episode.

Well, at least he admits it

Money doesn't bring him happiness but it sure as hell brings him the power to beat up an edgelord and a furry teenager
And if that isn't the coolest power in any work of fiction then I don't know what is.

Also, yes, his wife is called Zelda

"Roll credits" *ding*

My headcanon is that the UBs you find in SM are the equivalents of Rattata and Pidgey in their dimension
UB-01 Symbiot probably is. There were tons of them.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Ah, so you decided to cut through the Fujoshi root of coming to realise Yuri is the purest form of love, anyway, Fujoshi 's got 1 yaoi subtext series this season, Yuri fans got more then 3 :p

The most obvious ones being Flip Flappers, Izetta the Last Witch and Brave Witches.

Chrono.

As far as the music goes, XY doesn't have a lot of memorable themes to me, but I loved the Gym Leader theme and the Successor Korrina theme (both of which I didn't pay any attention to until I started modding Smash).

SM on the other hand, is more consistent, I love the Totem Battle theme, Hau's battle theme, Gladion's is cool too, the box legendary theme is the first time I ever liked one of them LOL. Lusamine's first one is amazing too.

But in a weird twist, I actually prefer some of the routes like:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Ah, so you decided to cut through the Fujoshi root of coming to realise Yuri is the purest form of love, anyway, Fujoshi 's got 1 yaoi subtext series this season, Yuri fans got more then 3 :p

The most obvious ones being Flip Flappers, Izetta the Last Witch and Brave Witches.
Surprisingly, Im not into yuri so when me and my GF were watching Flip Flappers yesterday, I was looking up yaoi on Pixiv, oops

I only looked back the the computer when the fights happend

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the Ultra Beasts were just a set up from Unova to distract eveyrone from the REAL conspiracies. Such as Kalos making a weapon of mass destruction, or all of the immigrants moving to Kanto. It's a yuge deal, I tell ya. :p

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
D

Deleted member

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who liked Kalos...
I did like Kalos too (and not only because I'm a French guy myself, lol), even though, as @MahBoi2016 said, it felt rather incomplete and filled with mostly forgettable characters.

And it's truly a shame X & Y haven't got a sequel which could have added more details and depth to Kalos' lore.
To believe that even Game Freak themselves would have admitted it was a miss...

D

Deleted member

Tumblr is already cooking up those memes
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo
Also, I think a better way to see Fitzgerald's ability is that it's literally "pay to win"

****, I forgot I was watching Izetta
So I guess I did fall down into the Yuri hole

Chrono.

I'd say YOI is more than subtext considering the two main characters just got engaged.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm just surprised you just found out about it when Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo loves talking about it so much. Though you're not as active here as many others are.
See, I've noticed she talks about it a lot, but in my head I just rationalized it as, she's part of the fandom so she refers to it with the silly name. I really should've just looked into it earlier.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't understand why my Mudbray stopped evolving at level 30. That's when its meant to evolve I guess.

Halp. This is my first poke game thx.

EDIT: it decided it wasn't ready until Level 31:rolleyes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't understand why my Mudbray stopped evolving at level 30. That's when its meant to evolve I guess.

Perhaps you accidently pressed B?
Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

You probably pressed B by accident.

Burruni

Smash Hero

If you press B during the evolution (or hold an everstone) it stops (won't) evolving(/evolve). That's been a mechanic since Gen I (III).

Edit: It CAN be beneficial because evolved forms learn moves on a generally slower pace than its prevos.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Same here. Game Freak needs to write Missingno. into canon considering how popular it is. I think it is just a matter of time before they start revisiting older regions. So. Maybe he'll be written in when that happens.
I haven't lost a single battle since the Gen3 days. I did skip over Black and White 2 though so...

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
****, I forgot I was watching Izetta
So I guess I did fall down into the Yuri hole
Good, good, now just come in a little further, embrace it, its your destiny.

I'd say YOI is more than subtext considering the two main characters just got engaged.
And you think that a Yuri fan that cares nothing for Yaoi would care because...?

Also no malice meant in that comment, I just have no opinion on Yaoi one way or the other, since I don't care for it at all.

Anyway on another note, I have a theory about the discontinuing of the Wii U, basically if Iwata was still alive, I get the slightest feeling that it would've been around a little longer maybe about a year or 2, maybe. Since it seems that Iwata was committed to keeping Wii U owners happy. So basically I feel the discontinuing of the Wii U for the end of this year, was decided my the new management, just my thoughts on it.

And I know some of you probably don't want this brought up again, but I'd like some actual proof of this, basically I read that Pokemon Uranium was actually getting money, now I know that this was supposedly going to paying for the online features, but if it was receiving money, if it was going towards web servers, then the money reason is why it got shut down, since Nintendo's policy for fan creations is that no money is made for it, even if the devs aren't using it for personal gang.

D

Deleted member

If you press B during the evolution (or hold an everstone) it stops (won't) evolving(/evolve). That's been a mechanic since Gen I (III).

Edit: It CAN be beneficial because evolved forms learn moves on a generally slower pace than its prevos.
Except when Pokemon would learn moves on the exact level they evolve, evolving them later would hurt their usability a lot, especially for Pokemon like Gyarados and Kadabra who'd learn their only useful damaging move once they evolve
Thankfully, SM foxed this so that said move is learned speciffically when they evolve instead of the level up move matching the earliest evolution level

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

The wait for my Shanate: Half-Genie Hero download code email is getting to me.

Plz hurry WayForward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom