• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Random Question: How would you feel if Nintendo announced a Smash 4 Switch port with no new characters along with a Smash 5 with a downsized roster that cuts many fan favorite veterans in favor of more newcomers?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Random Question: How would you feel if Nintendo announced a Smash 4 Switch port with no new characters along with a Smash 5 with a downsized roster that cuts many fan favorite veterans in favor of more newcomers?
Id feel sad if they cut Villager and happy if Professor Layton was in but the absence of villager would make me not feel like buying it

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Very disappointed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So... no reason to bother with either.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Smash 4 Switch With No New Characters: Wouldn't even bother with it.
Smash 5 With Downsized Roster: As long as Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man aren't those cut characters, I'll give it a chance.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think Praline managed to sum it up with two words, but yeah, I wouldn't be very happy. At all. The vast majority of characters I like are either scapegoats or third party characters, so a purge could even potentially drive me away from the series, not to mention the fact that if a port added nothing that I'd have almost no reason to buy the game again.

And if Smash 5 was actually outright smaller than Smash 4 in roster size. . .yeah I'd be steaming. Nearly every character in the game deserves to be in more than nearly every character they could add, so it'd be a hideous trainwreck of a downgrade in my eyes. The only way they could even begin to salvage it would be by adding Tails, and if they're making the roster smaller then it's not like that would be happening.

Fortunately, all signs seem to indicate that the port is adding more characters even without leakers saying it, so I should get at least a bit more time with my "at risk" characters while still getting to indulge in new ones.
I found a pretty good sonic Comic on tumblr
Congrats, Amy. By admitting what you were doing you foiled your own groupie plot. :troll:

But seriously, thank you for sharing this, I need some good Sonic themed hilarity ensuing once in a while. :D

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Yeah, I'm am seriously going there with this.

A straight up port would be pointless and I wouldn'tbother

Smash 5 (or 6 depending on who you ask) would depend on who gets removed and who gets added.
based on most of my favorite veterans being on the chopping bloc already and none of the newcomers I want standing a chance it seems like I would be skipping smash for a gen
*shudders*

:061:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Worthless.

Not worth my time.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The port is fine if we get balance changes butbth at last one sounds like a reboot and Smash is the last thing that needs a reboot

D

Deleted member

All depends on the execution for me. I'm comfortable using almost every character, but I'd gladly make some trades if we could make something really good, something bigger, out of it.

Of course, you'd have to get some REALLY good choices, some almost mind blowing while others being pretty fun or at least creative. Otherwise there would be little purpose of doing so. Not only that, but cutting characters regardless no matter WHO it is, is going to piss a lot of people off given that every character has a sizable fanbase within the smash fanbase itself.(So 'fan favorite is a huge trick question, you have people with all sorts of opinions and coming from all kinds of interests when it comes to franchises, but I assume you mean most popular, but a lot of the most popular veterans I don't really see getting cut.)

Cutting down the size of the roster is only worth it if it actually means something in return like more balance or more focus in other areas in the game other than characters. Or more detail put into each character. B

Smash Switch port with nothing new is a no buy for me as I don't even have enough interest to buy the game again unless a bunch of my friends got it and the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If this means getting the characters i've always wanted then i'm totally in for that.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Pokémon Sun/Moon is a brand new game. Not a port.

If Nintendo released Pokémon Sun/Moon 2 in November 2017, wouldn't you feel cheated? If you knew that was coming, you'd have just waited till then. But now, you're paying $40 again for something that is mostly the same.
i mean if its sun and moon 2 that means its a sequel and thus it would be reccomended to play sun and moon 1 first soooo no not at all
NOW if you said it was the third version...still no sun and moon is awesome and id love to play it again with out nukeing my save

D

Deleted member

I will say, yes, I'd be disappointed as well if it happened with a series that's always had minimal cuts.

But I thought about how certain fighting game series have had ports with minimal changes announced either before or alongside brand new entries with downsized character rosters (SF5 and the PS4 port of USF4 for example) and wondered if this will ever happen with Smash.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Current Sun Update

By this time I am taking on Mallow's trial in Lush Jungle (and I feel like I'm a bit underleveled to take on Totem Lurantis but we'll see what happens)
Andromeda
Kelvin
Navi
Epona
Flaahgra
Loki
on reserves
Maverick

Man, it seems most of the Pokemon I planned to use are available pretty damn early on Akala island, my final planned team is missing one member who'll come later...

Either way...Navi is chillin on the party for now, I don't need two bug types and Maverick's not going to evolve in a while, so I'll work with the local Bug/Fairy type of the region, Ribombee is apparently pretty decent and Cutifly's done some pretty good work so far even though it doesn't look like much...I'll probably swap it out for Charjabug part way through Ula'Ula to get it some experience instead of dragging this squishy battery with me for another 30 levels before it evolves...

Fomanits, LITERALLY, can't take a hit to save it's life...I really hope Lurantis gets a bit more bulk behind it, I heard Lurantis is one the unfortunate mons that suffers from Gen 7's slow syndrome, so if it's slow and frail it's not likely going to remain on my team for long...I do have an idea of who I can replace it with if I do decide to drop it...But I want to evolve it first before making this decision because that's where the money lies...

I'm debating whether or not I'll actually keep a Toucannon on my team...I have used it before on my first playthrough as a temporary member and dropped it shortly after it evolved, so I didn't really give it much of a chance, I'll probably keep it though Toucannon's such a cool looking mon....we'll see as we go...

Of course I still have my favourite gem-munching goblin tagging along...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
i mean if its Sun and moon 2 that means its a sequel and thus it would be reccomended to play sun and moon 1 first soooo no not at all
NOW if you said it was the third version...still no sun and moon is awesome and id love to play it again with out nukeing my save
Would you also buy a 3rd version of Smash 4?

Because that was what the original debate was about.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That's actually from Sonic: Mega Drive, a classic inspired comic made by Archie (the people who make the other Sonic comics). I haven't read issue one or two myself, but I love the art and writing.
xD Oh my God, Knuckles' face when realizing kills me! And makes me find him pretty adorable...

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
like if you think buying three versions of smash 4 is insane you have zero concept of fighting gamers because to this day people continue to buy more versions of street fighter 2
(never mind the non fighting game examples like all the people who own every version of resident evil 4)

like ill be real wanting them to release the switch port characters on wiiu and 3ds is a losing battle ESPECIALLY if one of them is the ice climbers

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you already bought two versions of Smash 4, I'm not sure why you would be bothered with a third.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The port would be completely pointless.

As for Smash 5, I've always been interested in the idea of a more compact roster with some new blood so I'm open to that idea.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I doubt they'd add Andy if they removed a bunch of fan favourites.
Not just Andy but characters I also really want in Smash Bros like Isaac, K. Rool and Crash. Would suck to lose a lot of vets that I love like :4feroy:, :4shulk:, among others but if that's what it would take then i'm in for that.

And about that even without relevance he would work as a pseudo-retro of sorts given that his series dates back to the NES era. His series is historically significant to Nintendo even if he's not on the level of popularity of a K.Rool or an Isaac. Unless by some miracle IS is finally going to let his series out of the doghouse and lets him in the roster ala :roymelee::4corrin:.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
A straight up port would be pointless and I wouldn'tbother

Smash 5 (or 6 depending on who you ask) would depend on who gets removed and who gets added.
based on most of my favorite veterans being on the chopping bloc already and none of the newcomers I want standing a chance it seems like I would be skipping smash for a gen
*shudders*

:061:
Yo, you just pretty much said almost everything that I was about to post just now, but I would like to add on to that.

If they HAVE to cut characters, they better not even THINK about touching any of the original 12. They're the ones that have been apart of this crazy massive crossover since the very beginning which was almost 18 years ago and even if just ONE of them was cut, it would be a travesty to the Smash series and it just wouldn't feel quite the same regardless of how big the roster is.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If this means getting the characters i've always wanted then i'm totally in for that.
Not Monkey's Paw enough.

Here, let's do one modified for you:

They get rid of every Fire Emblem character but none of your wanted characters are in and the Advance Wars Assist Trophy and the Golden Sun music tracks vanish.

There, now what do we have here? :troll:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Moon update:

Primarina: Level 34
Gengar: Level 33
Charjabug: Level 33
Gigalith: Level 33
Tsareena: Level 32
Umbreon: Level 31

Just beat Sophocles' trail and... FREAKING CHARJABGUG WAS THE ONE WHO TOOK DOWN VIKAVOLT. Admittedly, Umbreon helped with Sand Attacks, but still, it's too humorous. Speaking of Sophocles though... tbh I thought he wasn't going to be very likable as a character, but my expectations have not been met this time. He's actually pretty neat.
... And now I have to wait forever to evolve Charjabug. I hope I find the Evolite soon, or else things might not go well with her.

:094:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Laura Dale is one devious little leaker who doesn't give a damn about the Nintendo ninjas.

That's all I can say about recent events with her.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
It all depends on the gameplay of Smash 5 then. If it's basically Smash 4 but prettier, that's a pretty lame move. If they actually do big changes with the gameplay then while it may suck, I'd be all for it. Especially if they plan to support it for a long time, and gradually add more content and fix things here and there.

I will say, yes, I'd be disappointed as well if it happened with a series that's always had minimal cuts.

But I thought about how certain fighting game series have had ports with minimal changes announced either before or alongside brand new entries with downsized character rosters (SF5 and the PS4 port of USF4 for example) and wondered if this will ever happen with Smash.
Well you have to remember that those downsized character rosters also included major changes elsewhere. Guilty Gear Xrd had a much smaller roster to previous games, but made a jump to 3D among other changes. SFV has a much smaller roster than USFIV, but it also came with major changes to the gameplay.

If you already bought two versions of Smash 4, I'm not sure why you would be bothered with a third.
Granted, I'm part of a small minority, but I wouldn't mind buying the game a third time. I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 for the 360, PS3, and PC

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Moon update:

Primarina: Level 34
Gengar: Level 33
Charjabug: Level 33
Gigalith: Level 33
Tsareena: Level 32
Umbreon: Level 31

Just beat Sophocles' trail and... FREAKING CHARJABGUG WAS THE ONE WHO TOOK DOWN VIKAVOLT. Admittedly, Umbreon helped with Sand Attacks, but still, it's too humorous. Speaking of Sophocles though... tbh I thought he wasn't going to be very likable as a character, but my expectations have not been met this time. He's actually pretty neat.
... And now I have to wait forever to evolve Charjabug. I hope I find the Evolite soon, or else things might not go well with her.

:094:
Honestly Charjabug was useful for me even if it took forever to get a Vikavolt.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not Monkey's Paw enough.

Here, let's do one modified for you:

They get rid of every Fire Emblem character but none of your wanted characters are in and the Advance Wars Assist Trophy and the Golden Sun music tracks vanish.

There, now what do we have here? :troll:
The ultimate sacrifice. :p

But really if all the FE characters were cut I would be pretty upset because despite popular belief in this thread I actually like FE and only hate it's representation in Smash Bros and the fact that IS favors the series in recent times more than it used to. Though if it were up to me i'd down size the roster to :4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm:Anna/Lyn

Besides, it's not like anyone noticed the Infantry and Tanks AT. They probably thought WTF are these toy soldiers doing in this game? I might have been in the minority who instantly recognized them the first time I saw them in Smash given I got in to AW between Melee and Brawl. I remember the 12 year old me being so excited when I played Brawl back in 2008 thinking that the Infantry and Tanks assist trophy meant that Andy was an unlockable in the game (to be fair I also thought the same thing about Wolf when I saw him in the Star Fox stage).

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't know

I bought Sonic 1 on 8 different consoles, Megaman 2 on 4 consoles and Street Fighter 2 on 5 consoles

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@Xenoel VII

You should also describe what the extent of characters being cut is in your scenario.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Laura Dale is one devious little leaker who doesn't give a damn about the Nintendo ninjas.

That's all I can say about recent events with her.

Devious little leaker, you say?

. . .I have done a very trashy thing today in response to this. But some emotions are best expressed in ripped sprites and Comic Sans.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If I were Laura i'd be looking in every direction possible because the ninja's could be anywhere to get her.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Seeing how I already have the Wii u and 3DS one, I probably wouldnt buy a 3rd. I already spent 59.99 on one and 39.99 on another pff. Minus points if the 3rd version gets updates the other two dont

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know

I bought Sonic 1 on 8 different consoles, Megaman 2 on 4 consoles and Street Fighter 2 on 5 consoles
That's what I'm saying.

If you bought two versions, why does the appearance of a third bother you?

3 is not somehow more offensive than two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom