• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Like, if it just pick one rendition and does it well. That okay?

What if it assumes they're all true.

Cause we've done both depending on the character.
I'll just have to wait and see how these characters turn out. This is making me more curious.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Actually.

What do you guys think about the mixing of mythologies when they're about the same thing or person?
You mean like Sigurd and Siegfried? Or Zeus and Jupiter? I guess it can be rather interesting depending on how it's done, especially if one person has like 2 different histories/myths that paint the person rather drastically from the known part of themselves.

A good example would be the knights/Patron Saints who were rescued by Saint George in the Seven Champions of Christendom, including Saint Patrick, Saint Andrew and Saint James. Most, if not all, of the knights are from different centuries historically(2 were around Christ's time) and yet they are all with George and are knights and have squires in the book. At the same time, some of the stories surrounding them have them sometimes doing the craziest things before they do their most well known things in history.
Like before Saint Patrick goes to Ireland, he saves 6 maidens who were helped by Saint Andrew from satyrs, but there is another story/telling where first he and his squire kill a giant and his giant pet alligator, then they ride the giant's chariot that is driven by a dozen crocodiles and hippos respectively then they save the maidens from the satyrs.
As you can see, that's very different from the Saint Patrick who was enslaved in Ireland, got home after a long time, studied Christianity then went to Ireland to help it's people. Could you imagine him having been a knight during his studying and getting to ride a chariot pulled by a dozen crocodiles and hippos before heading to Ireland later?
Anyway, on the subject of myth mixing, like I said, it can be interesting depending on how it's done, but it also depends on the subject matter and how it would work with the character in general. Like if the character is being made into a nice guy, it will be harder to mix in the myths that portrayed the character like a real jerk. Could they be implemented in a way that keeps the character's personality intact? Possibly, although it'll be harder the more severe the conflicting myth is.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am so glad I decided to get a pokemon with pickup

After spending all day with it, I finally picked up

NOTHING, not a single item

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyway, on the subject of myth mixing, like I said, it can be interesting depending on how it's done, but it also depends on the subject matter and how it would work with the character in general. Like if the character is being made into a nice guy, it will be harder to add in the myths that portrayed the character like a real jerk. Could they be implemented in a way that keeps the character's personality intact? Possibly, although it'll be harder the more severe the conflicting myth is.
The biggest difference we've made is possibly turning certain mythological creatures into races where there were multiple as opposed to just one thought the race's origin would be similar to the one in the myths if that makes sense.

It's our method of using these mythologies to ensure that we can use these cool creatures, races and people while putting our own spin on things. For some things it makes perfect sense while others contradict legend but have been done in fiction before to seemingly positive reception.

Characters like gods or individuals are still largely the same though. Yes there is one god in our story and from what I understand we capture him well.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I am so glad I decided to get a pokemon with pickup

After spending all day with it, I finally picked up

NOTHING, not a single item
I had bad luck with it unless it actually participated in battles often. Just being on your team didn't seem to do enough. Hopefully when the official guide releases, it might have some details.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Saw the gameplay trailer. Seems like the infinity stones will work in place of X-Factor I guess, and act like kind of like you'd expect them to from MSH.

Other than that, we didn't get too much of Mega Man X's playstyle. But I'm glad his normals are primarily kicks from the look of it. That seems pretty sick, and fits him well. Looks like he had a lobbing shot, not sure if it was a particular weapon though.

We didn't get to hear his voice though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So, as someone who knows next to nothing about Mahvel vs Capcom, could someone explain to me why people are assuming X-Men won't be appearing in the new game? I know that the series started out as an X-Men fighting game, at least...

I know there was a supposed leak, but when have we ever just taken "leaks" at face value? Oh yeah...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, as someone who knows next to nothing about Mahvel vs Capcom, could someone explain to me why people are assuming X-Men won't be appearing in the new game? I know that the series started out as an X-Men fighting game, at least...

I know there was a supposed leak, but when have we ever just taken "leaks" at face value? Oh yeah...
Fox has the rights to X-Men

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I know there was a supposed leak, but when have we ever just taken "leaks" at face value? Oh yeah..
It's also a big licensing concern.

Marvel is now owned by Disney, but the ones with the right to make movies/other media is FOX.

So, it's a potential legal issue.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The biggest difference we've made is possibly turning certain mythological creatures into races where there were multiple as opposed to just one thought the race's origin would be similar to the one in the myths if that makes sense.

It's our method of using these mythologies to ensure that we can use these cool creatures, races and people while putting our own spin on things. For some things it makes perfect sense while others contradict legend but have been done in fiction before to seemingly positive reception.
Well, in some cases, it can work. I mean, a good example would be Arachne who was turned into a spider by Athena. Some myths only mention for her to spin thread all her life, but there are other myths that mention her and her children will spin webs their whole lives, so for something like that, you could actually have a race that descends from Arachne.
And it wouldn't exactly be wrong to contradict myths. I mean, there are a whole bunch of myths that contradict by simply having one such character be a big jerk in one version and being considerate in another version. With many stories that contradict, it becomes hard to tell what that character is really like, basically allowing the reader to decide whether that character is a jerk or not or thinking maybe there is more to it. I mean, you do have the Greeks who see Odysseus as a genius and cunning and the Romans who view him as honorless and a deceiver.
And even the Fate series does a rather funny outlook at this in the Fate/Zero manga. In the myth with Darius the 3rd and Alexander the Great, Darius' throne was said to dwarf Alexander or made him look small, but Rider, who is Alexander, is really tall and even dwarfs some of the characters. When his Master Waver actually questions him about this, Rider even mentions, "I wasn't small. Darius was just that big." and it pictures a scene with the 2 of them with Darius shown to be huge compared to Rider.
So there's also nothing wrong about being a bit contradicting to the myth if part of the idea is that something wasn't entirely true about the myth in the first place. Go wild if you think that will help develop your races and characters better.

D

Deleted member

Either they haven't chosen his voice actor yet, they haven't recorded any lines yet, or they're pulling a Mega Man in Smash by not giving him a voice, which added to the whole retro flavor of the character, but it doesn't seem like they're attempting that with X in Mahvel, so it doesn't really fit as well with him.

I'd be content with his X8/Command Mission/Maverick Hunter X voice actor returning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Saw the gameplay trailer. Seems like the infinity stones will work in place of X-Factor I guess, and act like kind of like you'd expect them to from MSH.

Other than that, we didn't get too much of Mega Man X's playstyle. But I'm glad his normals are primarily kicks from the look of it. That seems pretty sick, and fits him well. Looks like he had a lobbing shot, not sure if it was a particular weapon though.

Interview I read mentioned they're akin to grooves from CVS2
http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...es&GroupKeys=games/marvel_vs_capcom_infinite/

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Fox has the rights to X-Men
It's also a big licensing concern.

Marvel is now owned by Disney, but the ones with the right to make movies/other media is FOX.
I knew Fox had the film rights to X-Men, but they have the game rights too? Does Fox even make games?

Surely Marvel is still making X-Men comics? Licensing out the franchise for a specific thing doesn't mean Fox owns the brand.
Or does it?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I knew Fox had the film rights to X-Men, but they have the game rights too? Does Fox even make games?

Surely Marvel is still making X-Men comics? Licensing out the franchise for a specific thing doesn't mean Fox owns the brand.
Or does it?
They have the rights for non comic mediums and have to get a cut of the pay I think.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, rumor has it Marvel is sabotaging X-Men and Fantastic 4 to spite Fox

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Welp im now done with the alolan pokedex 11/15 stamps collected now its time to shiny hunt

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They have the rights for non comic mediums and have to get a cut of the pay I think.
Doing a bit of mild research, but it seems rights are split up into a lot of different categories. Sony owned the live action film and television rights, but now only have film rights. Likewise, Fox owns the rights for live action X-Men films. And apparently, Activision had the game rights for Marvel characters until 2014. Not sure who owns the game rights for who right now.

So yeah, film rights =/= game rights, so unless Fox snatched up the game rights to X-Men, then there isn't any issue.

D

Deleted member

If only Opossum Opossum were here to explain all this complicated licensing stuff. He's probably more well-versed in Marvel and other things Disney than the rest of us are.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Yo guys - We've had a pretty crazy 24 hour ride - The return of Mahvel, Baby! Since the announcement, me and my cousin have been having a rampant time speculating who we want for a potential 'bingo-list' for MvCI and this is our best guesstimate for who we want and expect for the game.
For the Mahvel Side:
Iron Man √
Captain Marvel √
Captain America √
Spider-man
Hulk
Thor (Jane Foster?)
Star Lord
Gamora
Drax
Rocket
Baby Groot
Black Panther
Dr Strange
Ant man
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Winter Soldier
Loki
Ultron
Thanos
Venom (Flash Thompson) or (Eddie Brock)
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Spider Gwen
Dormammu
Shuma Gorath
Vision
Nova (Sam Alexander)
Black Bolt
Moon Knight
Squirrel Girl
Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)
Baymax and Hiro (Disney’s Big Hero 6)
Howard the Duck
Stan Lee

On the Capcom side:
Mega Man X √
Ryu √
Phoenix Wright
Viewtiful Joe
Chun-Li
Rashid
Akuma
Monster Hunter
Ada Wong
Morrigan
Dante (DMC) or (Classic) Obviously, no competition.
Frank West
Jill Valentine
Zangief
M. Bison
Morrigan
Hsien-Ko
Jedah
Strider Hiryu
Captain Commando
Jin Saotome
PTX-40A
Kaijin no Soki
Saki Omokane
Arthur
Amaterasu
Vergil
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Roll
Guy (Final Fight)
Tron Bonne
Sigma
Chris Redfield
Wesker
Devilot
Yoshinori Ono
What do you guys think?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
praline praline
Posted these yesterady but...
  1. Fairy/Poison
  2. Fairy/Fire
  3. Fairy/Ground
  4. Fairy/Fighting
  5. Fairy/Dark
  6. Normal/Rock
  7. Normal/Poison
  8. Normal/Bug
  9. Normal/Ghost
  10. Normal/Steel
  11. Normal/Ice
  12. Rock/Ghost
  13. Electric/Poison
  14. Electric/Fighting
  15. Electric/Dark
  16. Grass/Fire
  17. Poison/Psychic
  18. Poison/Steel
  19. Poison/Ice
  20. Psychic/Bug
  21. Fire/Ice
  22. Ground/Fighting
  23. Bug/Ice
  24. Bug/Dragon
  25. Bug/Dark

I fought Dexio in Moon. I think you have it backwards.
So only fairy/fire, normal/rock, normal/poison, normal/steel, normal/ice and electric/dark I haven't used.

Also Sina is who I fought in Moon.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
If this was the case, there wouldn't be 7 new X-Men comicbooks coming out next year:

PSA: The only rights FOX own are the X-Men and FF movie rights ONLY.

Marvel has free reign over the X-Men and FF's game appearances, but choose not to because muh movie rights.

Also iirc (don't quote me on this) Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I believe Fox get a cut of the merchandise money made from the X characters they own in the movies...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So the announcement of Season 2 of SFV DLC being all newcomers has been controversial with the SF crowd.

Apparently it even got boos but I'm not sure if that's true.

Who do you think about the decision?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
So the announcement of Season 2 of SFV DLC being all newcomers has been controversial with the SF crowd.

depends on if they look good and play well
...granted this is the internet put a girl in booty shorts and you'll be called the second comming of jesus by the majority of the fgc

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Good news, gentlemen; I have leveled my very first Pokémon all the way to Level 100. Its Kartana- whom I specifically used in Pokémon League farming with a Lucky Egg.

I also, ironically, got my first Gold Bottle Cap through today's Poké Pelago mining, so I used it on Kartana. So not only is it Level 100- its IVs are also flawless.

Kartana@Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Att, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Leaf Blade/Smart Strike/Psycho Cut/Sacred Sword

From my time using Kartana, I've determined two things. One, it doesn't need Swords Dance. After a boost from its ability, Kartana can slice up teams like paper. So I opted out of the Sweeper build and use an all-out attacker moveset instead, replacing Swords Dance with Psycho Cut.

Another thing is its Speed. Despite being pretty fast on its own, there's still multiple things that outspeed it. So in combination of Sticky Webs and Focus Sash, Kartana can outspeed or outlive these threats in order to continue its sweep. There are Pokémon that can't OHKO Kartana, for instance, certain Physical attackers, but the added survivability is still very comforting.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's a guy who used to be in charge of MCU called Ike Perlmutter who actually did this, he and the CEO of Fox loathe eachother. Don't know how much power he has in Marvel nowadays, but despite MCU's rumored focus, Iron Man isn't Robert Downey Jr in the trailer, and one of the devs didn't get all fidgety or tense when asked about Xmen in MVCI

In other news, I came back from a hospital visit to my mother as she's been there since Friday. She might have cancer

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As for SF5's DLC being all newcomers. I'm fine with it. I loved most if not all of the SF5 base game newcomers, so if they're in that mold I'll be fine. It'd be nice to see some of the old gang back. Especially ones with some ties to the characters already present. I'd love have a sister vs brother match with Laura and Sean. Karin vs Sakura, Viper and Chun rematch, etc, etc.

When it comes to Marvel? As long as Wolverine, Storm, Deadpool, and Doom make it in. I don't much care if other X-Men/FF characters are left out. They're the most iconic to both the MvC franchise and the books. Sentinels are irrelevant in the books. Magneto is awesome, but the MvC version of him still operates as a bad guy, so he doesn't exactly reflect current! Magneto.

D

Deleted member

On one hand, fresh faces with new movesets are nice. On the other, unless Capcom works on more seasons, they're leaving out plenty of fan favorites from past games. For example, a certain Bushinryu ninja from Metro City is feeling profoundly sad at his exclusion.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
On one hand, fresh faces with new movesets are nice. On the other, unless Capcom works on more seasons, they're leaving out plenty of fan favorites from past games. For example, a certain Bushinryu ninja from Metro City is feeling profoundly sad at his exclusion.
They did announce they will support the game til 2020.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really feel like either Thor or Captain America will be the Marvel character revealed today.

Cap was mentioned in the PlayStation Blog and Thor? Well that stage in the gameplay appeared to be a mix of Asgard and something else.

As for the Capcom character? Who knows.

I just hope it's not two people that are guarantees. Which both Cap and Thor feel like. So if it's something like ''Here's Captain America and Chun Li."

Such anti-hype.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
inb4 Gene from godhand and Spider gwen show up today/tomorrow(time zones)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's Phoenix Wright and Phoenix Wright.

He's so amazing they put him in twice.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder if it is MCU based, how will they handle characters outside of the movies? Because uhhh....the movie roster is lacking IMO. Lots of greats have yet to make their debut, but then so has Carol, and we've already seen her.

Also will Spider-Man be a teenager in this? Because that could lend some humor. Especially if they nail him down to act like Tom Holland as much as possible.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
It's Phoenix Wright and Phoenix Wright.

He's so amazing they put him in twice.
would rather they make Francessca Von Karma playable like she was suposed to be in tatsunoko
because her VS ghost rider would be an amazing rivalry to parralel phoenix and shehulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom