• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
There may still be hope for the X-Men.

When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Roseman didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, were happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me. Not the straight answer I was looking for, but it left me hopeful about my chances of Berserker Barraging people as Wolverine next year.

D

Deleted member

One of the things they disliked was that they mixed things, but I don't know how much truth there is to that. If it is true it depends on what was mixed. Maui legends? FINE. How can you just pick one set of stories as true or not in a case like this. Traditions? Iffy. Langauge? Bad. Get that right.

One criticism is that Dwanye, was too corny. Of course that's why some of the group loved him.

One criticism is that the villain (the big lava monster) is based on Pele. Except I don't think that's true. Especially if it isn't just Hawaiian mythology.
Again, if they're basing it off Hawaiin tradition then they're very likely to get things mixed up themselves because the movie is not based in Hawaii, it's based off Polynesia in general. I'm going to do some research on the legends in a bit, but traditions and especially language differ. Polynesia itself isn't even one culture, it's many different cultures with different islands, and Hawaiin is just one of the many under the umbrella.. For an example, three different Polynesian languages are Maori, Tahitan, and Samoan.

Of course I'm saying this as something to keep in mind, perhaps they do have all the different cultures in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

MvC: Infinite won't have assists.

I'm sure some people won't be happy about that.
I'm fine with this. In past Versus games (barring CvS1 and 2, which played more like SF meets SNK), certain team combinations were much more effective than others thanks to the assist mechanic (MvC2 Strider Doom anyone?).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a shame. I really want to know how each individual character sold. My guess is that Cloud was #1 and Corrin or Lucas/Roy were at the bottom.
I imagine Corrin was indisputably the worst selling. Not only was he by far the least recognizable, but he came right at the end, when the active install base was, comparatively, at its smallest.

Now the best selling is probably more contentious. It's likely Cloud, but as the first, and as hyped as he was, even with the double copy deal, it may have also been Mewtwo.

Let's hope. For what it's worth the reason he likely didn't tense up is because he had to have been expecting that question at some point, and had a rehearsed answer. To me it sounds like, while the game may have X-men (which is great), with Marvel's "forward-thinking stance" regarding their characters, their role will be very minimal/limited.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Again, if they're basing it off Hawaiin tradition then they're very likely to get things mixed up themselves because the movie is not based in Hawaii, it's based off Polynesia in general. I'm going to do some research on the legends in a bit, but traditions and especially language differ. Polynesia itself isn't even one culture, it's many different cultures with different islands, and Hawaiin is just one of the many under the umbrella.. For an example, three different Polynesian languages are Maori, Tahitan, and Samoan.
Oh yeah.

While working on the game, one big take away was how there are no right stories, there are several.

We're often made to just pick one or combine them. Cause the more you try to be accurate, the more off you can get.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I imagine Corrin was indisputably the worst selling. Not only was he by far the least recognizable, but he came right at the end, when the active install base was, comparatively, at its smallest.

Now the best selling is probably more contentious. It's likely Cloud, but as the first, and as hyped as he was, even with the double copy deal, it may have also been Mewtwo.

Let's hope. For what it's worth the reason he likely didn't tense up is because he had to have been expecting that question at some point, and had a rehearsed answer. To me it sounds like, while the game may have X-men (which is great), with Marvel's "forward-thinking stance" regarding their characters, their role will be very minimal/limited.
Yeah, that's my thought process. Mewtwo/Cloud at #1 and Corrin at the bottom.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Apparently ESPN 2 is giving an extended look tomorrow, with 2 additional characters.

Should hopefully answer some important questions.

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Well R.I.P. Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro 's hopes and dreams.

At least there's Mahvel if you want Sakura to get some love.
What Afro's thinking right now...

Street_fighter_034.gif

What Afro's really feeling like doing to Capcom is Sakura is left out of both SFV, and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite...

sakura-ganbaru-cover.jpg

Capcom's not leaving my waifu out again! I will harrass Ono on Twitter till I see an older Sakura appear in either game! - Afro

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Apparently ESPN 2 is giving an extended look tomorrow, with 2 additional characters.

Should hopefully answer some important questions.
Ooh maybe it'll be Ken and War Machine. Or Evil Ryu and Iron Patriot. Or Akuma and Iron Monger. Or Hot Ryu and Hulkbuster. Or Sakura and Iron Heart.

I assume the roster is just going to be different Ryus and different Iron Men.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm fine with this. In past Versus games (barring CvS1 and 2, which played more like SF meets SNK), certain team combinations were much more effective than others thanks to the assist mechanic (MvC2 Strider Doom anyone?).
Yeah, I can see that. On the other hand, depending on the team combinations, it made some characters very satisfying when used right.

In Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I was a big user of Viewtiful Joe with Hurricane Polymer. Both those characters had really slow specials(being Polymar's drill car and Joe's giant Cannon), but both characters actually helped each other with those specials. Using Polymer's assist helped me actually hit people full on with Joe's Cannon(which does so much damage if it hits somebody unguarded) and using Joe's Mach Speed special allowed me to hit with Polymer's Drill car.
And each time I succeeded at hitting unguarded people with the Cannon and Drill Car respectively, it was oh so satisfying, especially with the Cannon, as it would either kill them(especially Zeros) or bring them down to 2/3-1/4 health most of the time.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Oh god please. If we do get X-Men and FF characters there probably won't be a lot of them and will probably play a small role in the story mode and have little advertising, but that would be ok with me. If we can just get Wolverine, Deadpool, Magneto and Doom I'll be happy, any more would just be a bonus for me.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And now people want Arale vs Superman as a Death Battle thanks to the new DBS episode.

Oh joy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly I'd be shocked if Wolverine or Deadpool were playable. They're Fox's biggest Marvel moneymakers.

Or Gambit. Since even though he still seems popular, can't imagine Marvel wants to help that movie make money.

Last edited:

Chrono.

And now people want Arale vs Superman as a Death Battle thanks to the new DBS episode.

Oh joy.
Arale is a step up from Pinkie Pie though.
Honestly I'd be shocked if Wolverine or Deadpool were playable. They're Fox's biggest Marvel moneymakers.

Or Gambit. Since even though he still seems popular, can't imagine Marvel wants to help that movie make money.
You'd also expect them in MvC for the same reason.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So what you're saying is...

FE X AW crossover game.
This would be a pretty sweet crossover. Can we revive the franchise and get this please?
The answer is to add shipping.

New Advanced Wars game? Add shipping.

New F-Zero game? Add shipping.

Smash Bros Switch port? Add shipping.
Can I pet Captain Falcon?

Oh boy... I can already imagine the possibilities.
Can I join Palutena in the springs the the uprising short?

You made me click this by not summing the article up, gg arejay, gg!

But thanks for the link, it's a nice read.

Looking forward to two more characters tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

It'd be so weird to not have the X-Men or even just Wolverine alone given that without X-Men children of the atom there's no way this franchise would even exist.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Ooh maybe it'll be Ken and War Machine. Or Evil Ryu and Iron Patriot. Or Akuma and Iron Monger. Or Hot Ryu and Hulkbuster. Or Sakura and Iron Heart.

I assume the roster is just going to be different Ryus and different Iron Men.
What about Servbot and The Vulture

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I can see that. On the other hand, depending on the team combinations, it made some characters very satisfying when used right.

In Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I was a big user of Viewtiful Joe with Hurricane Polymer. Both those characters had really slow specials(being Polymar's drill car and Joe's giant Cannon), but both characters actually helped each other with those specials. Using Polymer's assist helped me actually hit people full on with Joe's Cannon(which does so much damage if it hits somebody unguarded) and using Joe's Mach Speed special allowed me to hit with Polymer's Drill car.
And each time I succeeded at hitting unguarded people with the Cannon and Drill Car respectively, it was oh so satisfying, especially with the Cannon, as it would either kill them(especially Zeros) or bring them down to 2/3-1/4 health most of the time.
I can see where your coming from due to my own personal experience. My main team in that game was MegaMan Volnutt and Zero. I'd often have Zero perform ground combos and use MegaMan's Drill Upper assist to help either deal more damage or extend said combos. That isn't even going into the different Hyper Combo combinations (Rekouha + Hyper Machine Buster, Sougenmu + Hyper Machine Buster, Rekouha + Hyper Drill Upper, and Rekouha in TvC was pretty slow).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually.

What do you guys think about the mixing of mythologies when they're about the same thing or person?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What Afro's thinking right now...

View attachment 121621

What Afro's really feeling like doing to Capcom is Sakura is left out of both SFV, and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite...

View attachment 121622

Capcom's not leaving my waifu out again! I will harrass Ono on Twitter till I see an older Sakura appear in either game! - Afro
As expected out of you. :laugh:

Still sad about no Blanka though. You can't have Street Fighter without the green electric Brazilian lug.

I thought Ono loved him. :(

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

I wonder what Fox is going to do with Wolverine after Logan, because they won't have Hugh Jackman to play the character anymore. How long of a gap will there be until they get a new actor to play Logan?

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I just found a video of the Adamantoise 1 Hour Boss fight and its 1:34 am in FF15

Yeah, I'll (Try to) Watch it tommorow
I found someone who beat it in 30 minutes. It's still too ****ing long for me, but I want to 100% the game, so maybe I'll save it for last, or at least once I get to max level.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It largely depends on the execution for me.
Like, if it just pick one rendition and does it well. That okay?

What if it assumes they're all true.

Cause we've done both depending on the character.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This would be a pretty sweet crossover. Can we revive the franchise and get this please?

Can I pet Captain Falcon?

Can I join Palutena in the springs the the uprising short?

You made me click this by not summing the article up, gg arejay, gg!

But thanks for the link, it's a nice read.

Looking forward to two more characters tomorrow.
According to Fire Emblem Fate's building system, I'm pretty sure you awkwardly leave if you encounter someone of the opposite gender at the springs. So only if you're a girl. Otherwise you're sitting with Pit and Ness and wondering what you're doing with your life and you're gonna like it.

And you can only pet Captain Falcon in the Japanese version of the game, otherwise you just get to look at his face talk for a bit when you interact. Unless maybe if you S Support.

To flesh out the system, character supports are now integrated into the Xenoblade Chronicles social system. Support levels are now displayed parallel with heart ratings which are raised by completing related missions in the story mode map. You will also have a reference map showing you the current relations between characters. Some of them don't particularly like each other at the start, so you may have to help them patch up.

You also have access to the Friendship and Affection stats from Pokemon. Friendship is raised the same way as Support ranks. Affection is more difficult because petting was removed from western regions for the most part, but you can still raise it by buying the person food, particularly their favorite food.

If you get an A rank and max out all of your other social stats for a character, you'll get an achievement unlocked for that character on the "BFF" achievement grid. Unlocking all the achievements for every character allows you to pursue social interactions with Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What about Servbot and The Vulture
They're saving them for Super MvC Infinite. :p

I wonder what Fox is going to do with Wolverine after Logan, because they won't have Hugh Jackman to play the character anymore. How long of a gap will there be until they get a new actor to play Logan?
It'd be nice if they waited a few years, but they'll probably have recast by the time the next X-men movie proper shows up. :/

Actually.

What do you guys think about the mixing of mythologies when they're about the same thing or person?
Is that not what happens historically anyway? Or was it just one Greek guy with waaaay too much time on his hands that came up with the entirety of Greek folklore? I mean other than Homer. xD

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is that not what happens historically anyway?
Honestly it is, but people still get annoyed with the mixing regardless.

We want to make as many people as possible happy with our interpretations of these characters so we want to make the right decisions.

Granted, for some characters, they themselves are original as they are one of many, as opposed to one character who is the same one from mythology.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
It feels soooooo good to be hype for a fighting game again.Missed this feeling ever since smash 4 came out

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No Assists? Then explain what 2 Mahvel characters were doing when beating up Iron Man simultaneously 16 seconds in
Unless this was just jokes, that wasn't assists, that was swapping character mid combo. It's apparently the new feature they're touting

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just switching characters.

It's been a mechanic for all 2on2/3on3 VS games, including TvC.
Mid grounded combo was something I don't remember seeing
From the same article that mentioned it
'When I asked them about the rumor that the game’s roster would not include as many (or any) characters from the X-Men or Fantastic Four series due film rights issues (the current film series for those franchises are owned by Fox and not Marvel Studios) and would instead favor characters already in the Marvel cinematic universe, Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment Bill Rosemann didn’t tense up the way PR folks tend to when you ask them a difficult question. While Marvel wants to take a forward-thinking stance with the characters they include in the game, he wants to make sure fans of all of Marvel properties, including X-Men, are happy. “That heritage is not lost,” he told me. Not the straight answer I was looking for, but it left me hopeful about my chances of Berserker Barraging people as Wolverine next year.'
AW YUS

D

Deleted member

Actually.

I'd be okay with it, but it depends on the execution, as someone previously mentioned.

Also I did some research on the movie, pretty much all of it besides tradition and the Legend of Maui is fictional.
The other gods, Te Ka(Lava god you refer to) and Te Fiti(Which are the same being, which is why this is in a spoiler), are both entirely fictional.

And when it comes to Maui, they mostly got him right, he has a hook which he did indeed raise the islands with, restrain the sun with it, and he was mischievous but with his morals focused on helping the people. Depending on the story he was either a god, a demigod, or a just a very strong human, but demigod being the most common, so they got that right too.

However, Maui was a pretty slim dude with a topknott. People often complain about him being 'fat' because stereotypes. But actually Disney's concept was originally for him to be slim and bald. However, they changed it to he is now after working with Oceanic Story Trust. The reason for him being so big is to make him look strong and imposing. Oh, and he didn't have moving tattoos. :p

Also the language they use is in the movie is Tokelauan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom