• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Let's flip this.

What games do you like, but think are a bit overrated?
Sonic Colors probably.
I recently did another playthrough of it and quite enjoyed it. But I think it might be my least favorite in the boost trilogy (Unleashed, Colors, Generations).

It's still a really good game and is an important part of Sonic's history, I just feel it wasn't the bed thing since sliced bread.

It also introduced one thing I think the series could do without, that being Pontac and Graff's writing. I don't hate them as much as some fans do, but I wouldn't exactly miss them if they weren't writing for the games anymore.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Help, I have fallen in love with Z-Parting Shot and I can't stop using it.

This is what I've been using in the Battle Tree.

Silvally@Darknium Z
Nature: Naive
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Attack, 6 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
Moveset: Return/Ice Beam/Parting Shot/Flamethrower

The idea of this is to surprise attack Dragonite, Landorus, Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc. while supporting weakened team mates with Z-Parting Shot, which if you didn't know, lowers the target's Attack and Sp. Attack by one stage, retreats, then fully heals Silvally's replacement. My pair with this at the moment is Kartana.

Kartana@Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Moveset: Leaf Blade/Smart Strike/Swords Dance/Sacred Sword

If Kartana gets statuses, like freezing (which I've noticed is happening more often T_T) or is brought to 1 HP, it can swap out with Silvally who in turn can assist with the Z-Parting Shot. My third Pokémon is an unfinished Buzzwole, who will be replaced with a Pokémon who pairs well with Kartana.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Let's flip this.

Pretty much any Bethesda adventure made within the last decade (with the exception of New Vegas, that game deserves pretty much all the praise it gets. it's still flawed though.).

They're nice time killers and are immersive but they overall don't do that much better than some other RPGs (Witcher 2 and 3, for example, are easily better than Skyrim). They've got big worlds and lots of skill trees and all that but it's really at a surface level. Don't get me wrong, they're fun to play and have plenty to do, but I don't think that Skyrim or Fallout 3 are near-perfect games or close to it. The actual role playing is a bit weak, as the writing's not amazing, the quests aren't always really well laid out (see "Beyond the Beef" in New Vegas as a guide on how to make side quests not chores for XP), and the skill trees aren't exactly perfect (again, see New Vegas on how to make them better, though they're not terrible).

(there's also the fact that they haven't aged very gracefully)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh...ok...sorry about misunderstanding then.
No biggie. I either misworded it or you didn't notice a word. Trust me, if I could make a proper hack of it, I would. The issue is the data is all so old and on paper it's probably unreadable. If it wasn't accidentally thrown away. D:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I just realized how close Crabrawler's Shiny color scheme is to Mr Krabs'.

Well, these claws ain't for just attractin' mates!

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Sonic Colors probably.
I recently did another playthrough of it and quite enjoyed it. But I think it might be my least favorite in the boost trilogy (Unleashed, Colors, Generations).

It's still a really good game and is an important part of Sonic's history, I just feel it wasn't the bed thing since sliced bread.

It also introduced one thing I think the series could do without, that being Pontac and Graff's writing. I don't hate them as much as some fans do, but I wouldn't exactly miss them if they weren't writing for the games anymore.
I don't think it's perfect or groundbreaking, but it is one of my favorite Sonic games, personally. I like Generations PC/Console and 3&K a little more, but Colors is definitely up there. My favorite part is the high amount of levels and uniqueness of the levels. Planet Wisp has become one of my favorite Sonic levels of all time, and the other 5 are pretty good as well. Colors is one of the very few video games in which I enjoy EVERY single level/zone/world/etc.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I tried to take a photo of an epic Golisopod staredown but instead I got an anime opening of giant bugs, Ft. Ya Boi.
Screenshot_2016-11-26-01-58-25.png

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Lord Dio Lord Dio Heard you weren't up to date like I wouldn't find out

I swear, this image better get memed on VERY quickly. If Josuke holding a phone became memetic, this NEEDS to be as well
I'm all caught up now, and god was that enjoyable.
As for that becoming memetic, I wouldn't bet on it. The Josuke-phone moment practically begs to be made into a meme, this one....not so much, imo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm all caught up now, and god was that enjoyable.
As for that becoming memetic, I wouldn't bet on it. The Josuke-phone moment practically begs to be made into a meme, this one....not so much, imo.
You're dead to me
Is it bad I want DiU to be done with ASAP so we get Vento Aureo? Can't wait to see why Japan loves it
Speaking of Part V, Abbachio was supposed to be playable in Eyes of Heaven and the devs said they couldn't make him work. Might be the same reason for Foo Fighters
This is bull****. They got King Crimson to work (though I know a damn good way to explain it) and the Capcom Jojo games not only had Abbachio playable in the Vento Aureo PS2 game, but they had ****ing High Priestess work in a fighter. jfc

D

Deleted member

Day ???
I have been SOS chaining for hours, when will my Shiny Oricorio show up?
Help, I have fallen in love with Z-Parting Shot and I can't stop using it.

This is what I've been using in the Battle Tree.

Silvally@Darknium Z
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Attack, 6 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
Moveset: Return/Ice Beam/Parting Shot/Flamethrower

The idea of this is to surprise attack Dragonite, Landorus, Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc. while supporting weakened team mates with Z-Parting Shot, which if you didn't know, lowers the target's Attack and Sp. Attack by one stage, retreats, then fully heals Silvally's replacement. My pair with this at the moment is Kartana.

Kartana@Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Moveset: Leaf Blade/Smart Strike/Swords Dance/Sacred Sword

If Kartana gets statuses, like freezing (which I've noticed is happening more often T_T) or is brought to 1 HP, it can swap out with Silvally who in turn can assist with the Z-Parting Shot. My third Pokémon is an unfinished Buzzwole, who will be replaced with a Pokémon who pairs well with Kartana.
Why invest only in Atk if Silvally has 2 Special moves?

Though I've tried something similar in Showdown with it, the idea of Z-Parting Shot being the same but with Crunch for Ghost types and Explosion for when Silvally gets back on field and has nothing to do anymore

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Sun/Moon really need better places to level up in regards to post game.
There's the Elite 4 which isn't too ideal when you're wanting to be able to rotate Pokemon between battles, it's good for getting loads of experience on some you want to level up loads.
There's the buffet which is daily unless you like messing with the clock.
There's post game wild Pokemon, which is just stuff like Raticate, Golbat, Gumshoos, Trumbeak (why not a Toucannon?), Cottonee/Petilil, Tauros and a 1% chance of getting something from the Dratini line.

Rematching trainers outside the Elite 4 would be nice.

Let's flip this.

Anything ND has put out since (and including) Uncharted 3.
UC 3 in general is just a big step down from UC 2.
TLOU is really, really, really slow making it really tough to replay and enjoy. The gameplay isn't anything special either. But hey it's "immersive" so who freakin' cares about a game having really good gameplay instead of ploddingly slow walk sections?
UC 4 is TLOU with an Uncharted twist. It's better than TLOU as a result but it still suffers the same problems.

Bethesda developed games tend to only be enjoyable with mods for me.
The base game of Skyrim for example is incredibly dull, livening it up with stuff like Lightsabers, Zelda, Dark Souls, Thomas the Tank Engine Dragons, better UI and just making the environment less dull and washed out among other things really improves it and makes it actually fun.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Alright, that's the second time the person I introduced to Pokemon caught a wild Shiny at random over two games.

I mean granted, the Shiny rate was doubled compared to earlier gens in both games they played, but I was playing those games too and the only time I found a Shiny was when I chained nearly to the point of running out of PP on all of my Pokemon and looping past the 999 mark for one in ORAS after having several unsuccessful very long chains before that.

"I just caught a bird with a purple beak"

It's Shiny.

"Did you see it sparkle?"

"No, I didn't see it sparkle. I don't know what it is, it wasn't shining."

It's Shiny.

"Well can show me it? I can tell if it's Shiny or not by checking it's description."

"Sure, I'll go boot my game back up. It's got a purple beak but it's not any different otherwise, I don't know what it is. I thought the purple beak was pretty though and I hadn't seen that before so I caught it."

It's Shiny.

*is shown the Pokemon*

"It's got a star over here. It's definitely Shiny."

"It is? OK."

"You sure you didn't see it sparkle when you encountered it?"

"No, I didn't see that at all."

"Do you have any idea how lucky you are? That's a one in 4000 chance."

"I'm not that lucky, I keep not getting *insert things like not getting females of Pokemon with less than a 50% chance of being female that are admittedly a pain in the butt but otherwise way, way more common than getting a Shiny here*"

"I think your luck is going somewhere else. . ."

At least they had the sense to catch it when they saw something was off. That's leagues above some of the horror stories I've heard on the internet. From the looks of it they chucked a Quick Ball at it, too.

. . .Actually, I think I had one of those "Stupid moments" right when I first started playing Pokemon.

I walked up to the Oreburg Pokemon Center to heal up, the nurse talks for longer than usual about some kind of disease, I go "Oh, that's interesting" and go about my business. Days later I see a smiley face on my status after checking out the Footprint Guy already and go, "Oh, that means they're happy, right?"

Meanwhile in 2016, I realize I was an idiot.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do Communist nations pass leadership on hereditary lines like they are some kind of royal family?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm currently breeding Adamant Marill with the ability Huge Power ability and egg moves Aqua Jet and Belly Drum. Now that Heart Scales are so easy to obtain and the Move Relearner can teach your Pokémon future level moves, making this Marill happen wasn't hard. Just catch Marill using Island Scan which has Aqua Jet, then catch a Poliwag and use a Heart Scale to teach it Belly Drum. Bam- there's your Marill.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why do Communist nations pass leadership on hereditary lines like they are some kind of royal family?
Dynastic politics is a pretty common thing no matter the form of government.

Happens in democracies, monachies (obv), dictatorships, everywhere.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Day ???
I have been SOS chaining for hours, when will my Shiny Oricorio show up?

Why invest only in Atk if Silvally has 2 Special moves?

Though I've tried something similar in Showdown with it, the idea of Z-Parting Shot being the same but with Crunch for Ghost types and Explosion for when Silvally gets back on field and has nothing to do anymore
From my understanding, its better for this setup to have 252 Attack EVs to ensure Return hits as hard as it can. As I said, this Pokémon is built to sneak 4x hits on big OU threats, which in the future is going to be a great boon.

EDIT:
This is the set I'm utilizing:

Mixed LO Silvally
Silvally @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Naughty/Naive Nature
-Double-Edge/Return
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Parting Shot

This set is designed to be a lure for Landorous/Gliscor and Skarmory/Ferrothorn and do massive damage and be able to pivot out with Parting Shot. Double Edge isnt very conductive with LO but it needs all the power it can get. A pretty dangerous set thay can surprise the usual switch ins off guard. You can tweak the Evs to get certain OHKOes or 2KOES.

The obvious differences I made were only for use in the Battle Tree, except the change in EVs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have gotten Pokerus 2 times in SS and once in every subsequent game except ORAS and SM
Yet I can't seem to find a ****ing shiny
I'm currently breeding Adamant Marill with the ability Huge Power ability and egg moves Aqua Jet and Belly Drum. Now that Heart Scales are so easy to obtain and the Move Relearner can teach your Pokémon future level moves, making this Marill happen wasn't hard. Just catch Marill using Island Scan which has Aqua Jet, then catch a Poliwag and use a Heart Scale to teach it Belly Drum. Bam- there's your Marill.
Wasn't Belly Drum removed from Marill's Egg moves or was that some misinformation during the pre-release datamining?

D

Deleted member

The fact they couldn't make him feel unique enough for their own purposes, yet keep another shotoclone in is pretty annoying to people. And yes, he's a shotoclone. Dragon Punch isn't there "because it's an anti-air" when it comes to being a shotoclone. A shotoclone's dragon punch exists because... it's a dragon punch, a very memorable move. Same with the fireball. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Shotoclone This more defines it as I'm using it. For the record, no, a Hurricane Kick isn't relevant. It's a rushdown attack more specifically, which MegaMan has with his slide. He's loosely one. But so is Zero as well, for the record. It's pretty notable that tons of characters in Capcom are shotoclones or use at leat 2 of the main moves(a rising attack and a fireball). MegaMan also is one in Smash, but he also has more than just the regular shotoclone moves.
That's the loosest definition of a shotoclone I've seen, but okay. You see, the term shoto clone in the SF community is much more so different than that very loose one. I see what it's implying, but the term shotoclone doesn't really seem like the correct context. I mean keep in mind that Ryu, Ken, and Akuma are all basically head swaps. They also share the same normals too. They are A LOT more similar than a lot of characters on that list, some I can see as 'shotoclones' in actually having both hadoken and shoryuken like specials., but a lot of them are just "this character as a physical anti air and projectile" but don't explain how they work. I mean, again, even Igniz sounds like a shotoclone when you narrow it down like a lot of characters on that list.(Because of the "rising attack and fireball".) Megaman doesn't make sense as a shotoclone because if you took away the only shoto move he has, he wouldn't resemble one whatsoever besides having a projectile, which again, why wouldn't Megaman have projectiles?

You are missing the point. I was telling you why MegaMan was legit not in MvC3. Because making him unique would completely ruin the character. The problem, again, with that logic is, that leaving him out was even worse for people. The reason he isn't unique is because his main moves happen to be a shotoclone basis(fireball, rising attack, rush attack), but stil had other stuff, which means he was way more unique than the more major shotoclones(I.E. Akuma. And I do like Akuma, so this isn't a knock against him).
Just take away the shoryuken and he's not even close to a shoto clone anymore. It's not the hardest thing to change.

Also, the slidekick isn't even a special and is hardly even a rushdown, not even close to one which works like a tetsumaki. It seems like the biggest stretch to consider him a shotoclone. All of him moves have appeared in his series before.

The thing is, also, MegaMan will never die in people's eyes as a character because he's a gaming icon. It doesn't matter if his games die, the character is beyond memorable. This is the point I'm making overall, he's still important and always will be. Also, clone =/= shotoclone. You're confusing the term "clone" with the actual archtype of a shotoclone, which is two very very different things. Clones are just "moveset clones", meaning they take the entire moveset, or almost all of it with small differences.
I consider their term of shotoclone incorrect because while some I can see, a lot are pretty frickin' vague. Even a character that has all of those special characteristics, like K' from KoF, is pretty far from being anything like Ryu when you get into how the moves actually work rather than just saying he has a projectile, a shoryuken-like anti-air, and a rushdown kick.

it's a playstyle archtype
It's more so like a vague similarity archetype. It's sounds like the same thing when you break it all down to the basics, but in terms of play style a lot of those characters listed play completely differently and have their specials work in a different manner despite it sounding the same as a basic description. I mean, there are definitely a lot that do fit the bill. But I think that it should be narrowed down a bit. I get it when they're literally using a projectile exactly like a hadoken and shoryuken, but still. Especially when the characters moveset and playstyle goes beyond just those basics.

You mean North Korea? Other communist nations such as Russia didn't have that at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's the loosest definition of a shotoclone I've seen, but okay. You see, the term shoto clone in the SF community is much more so different than that very loose one. I see what it's implying, but the term shotoclone doesn't really seem like the correct context. I mean keep in mind that Ryu, Ken, and Akuma are all basically head swaps. They also share the same normals too. They are A LOT more similar than a lot of characters on that list, some I can see as 'shotoclones' in actually having both hadoken and shoryuken like specials., but a lot of them are just "this character as a physical anti air and projectile" but don't explain how they work. I mean, again, even Igniz sounds like a shotoclone when you narrow it down like a lot of characters on that list.(Because of the "rising attack and fireball".) Megaman doesn't make sense as a shotoclone because if you took away the only shoto move he has, he wouldn't resemble one whatsoever besides having a projectile, which again, why wouldn't Megaman have projectiles?

Just take away the shoryuken and he's not even close to a shoto clone anymore. It's not the hardest thing to change.

Also, the slidekick isn't even a special and is hardly even a rushdown, not even close to one which works like a tetsumaki. It seems like the biggest stretch to consider him a shotoclone. All of him moves have appeared in his series before.

I consider their term of shotoclone incorrect because while some I can see, a lot are pretty frickin' vague. Even a character that has all of those special characteristics, like K' from KoF, is pretty far from being anything like Ryu when you get into how the moves actually work rather than just saying he has a projectile, a shoryuken-like anti-air, and a rushdown kick.

It's more so like a vague similarity archetype. It's sounds like the same thing when you break it all down to the basics, but in terms of play style a lot of those characters listed play completely differently and have their specials work in a different manner despite it sounding the same as a basic description.

You mean North Korea? Other communist nations such as Russia didn't have that at all.
North Korea and Cuba

Fidel Castro just died yesterday and his son is taking over

Edit: Apparently his brother is in control and has been in control for a while

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

North Korea and Cuba

Yeah, that's true. It's just not something that defines communism/dictatorship.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Inb4 people saying Castro died due the sheer capitalism exuded by Black Friday.

Chrono.

Just beat the Electric Trial.

Random thoughts on the game so far below (spoilers ahoy):

- The game really feels different from the other Pokemon games, even though it really... Isn't?
- It's surprisingly handholdy, not as much as Gen 6, but it's there.
- That being said, it's noticeably harder, I haven't had any major issues yet (the only battle I've lost so far was the first one with Ilima) but you can't just brute force your way through.
- The linearity is kinda annoying, but tbh it's always been there, I think the big difference is that there's an overarching plot
- PokeFinder is pretty pointless (but kinda addicting?)
- Same goes for the Coffee Shop, unless there's some other thing I'm missing
- I feel bad for people who want Vikavolt and got no friends to help em out
- Trials are a nice change of pace I feel, the Totem Battle music is intense ****.
- The music in general is really good, this is the only Pokemon game where I've cared for more than just the battle themes
- Aether Foundation are shady as hell, or at least Lusamine is, they don't try to hide this AT ALL.
- The first city of Ula Ula Island gave me so many Johto vibes so it's an auto favorite.
- The characters are really enjoyable so far, I love Kukui's hamminess, Lillie isn't totally deadweight and Hau is actually a fun character (despite my initial dread of him being as dull as the Kalos/Hoenn rivals).
- Burnet being back wasn't too much of a shocker thanks to a trailer, but being married to Kukui kinda was.
- Colress on the other hand, what the ****? I guess this IS an anniversary game after all.
- Z-Moves are fun and I hope they stay.

D

Deleted member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFTER FOUR ****ING HOURS I FINALLY DID IT
She has a Rash nature so that's workable, anyone has a IV calculator because I need to know how good she is with 4 hours of chaining
Definitely making a Dancing team now, gonna try to breed some Cutieflys and Petilils later

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
North Korea and Cuba

Those are the only two example though. USSR and China have done a remarkable job avoiding it.

Powerful political families happen in democracies too - the Clintons and the Bush family in the US; the Nehru-Gandhi family in India, etc.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
You're dead to me
Is it bad I want DiU to be done with ASAP so we get Vento Aureo? Can't wait to see why Japan loves it
Speaking of Part V, Abbachio was supposed to be playable in Eyes of Heaven and the devs said they couldn't make him work. Might be the same reason for Foo Fighters
This is bull****. They got King Crimson to work (though I know a damn good way to explain it) and the Capcom Jojo games not only had Abbachio playable in the Vento Aureo PS2 game, but they had ****ing High Priestess work in a fighter. jfc
Of course I'm dead, jotaro killed me.
Not bad at all. I actually want DiU and VA to be done with ASAP so we can get in more jotaro time with SO.
that.....does seem unfair if they can get KC in, and abacchio in with another game....High priestess is easy to work in, or so I'd imagine.

So to whoever told me about Izetta: The Last Witch (I think it was @Zoroarking ), I started watching the first couple minutes of it. Looks alright right now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He resembles the archtype(again, a shotoclone archtype isn't the same as a shotoclone clone. Archtypes are supposed to actually be loose enough to fit multiple characters. And a lot of those examples are zero context, but do make sense under this definition. It's also part of the site's golden rule; tropes are flexible. In fact, the definition evolved to fit in multiple characters, otherwise, if it had no real examples besides literal clones of Ryu. That would pretty much make the page not only tiny in itself, but ignore another key point of what tropes are; common occurrences in fiction. Again, you keep describing a moveset clone, which means having almost every move the same. Also, it doesn't much matter about the origin of the term. The site evolves tons of tropes in order to properly allow for a strong list of examples but still make the term understandable. It even notes that gamers constantly label those shotoclones when they're not entirely one. The reason why it also requires you to have 2 out of 3 of the important moves listed is that those shotclones are meant to be loose and somewhat fit the archtype, but obviously would be different to some degree instead of pointless carbon copies of the same character.

Why would you remove the Mega Upper? It's one of his best move options and didn't originate in MvC, as noted in an earlier post. It also fits the character well, being he has tons of options. It's in Smash too for good reasons. Fact of the matter is, it's a move that fits MegaMan's style of constantly being prepared for multiple situations, using tools from various enemies. With all these crossovers and when you have a moveset clone of Ryu(Magma Dragoon) who purposely displays the shotoclone archtype in the X series, it's obvious they wanted Street Fighter to influence the MegaMan series with the most notable moves. X literally can learn the Shoryuken too. They're not going to remove it cause some players are using a hard definition of "must have every move" when it's fairly clear it's just a call back to the top two shoto moves available.

The issue isn't him being a shotoclone. Removing that would again, ruin his character. The issue is they refused to give him any actual other moves besides keeping his old moveset. Smash 4 managed to actually capture much of his MvC moveset while still using his tons of options. But also do heavily note that they had one MegaMan series slot available. The clear problem was, after they selected Zero because they feel he could be more original while not removing MegaMan's iconic playstyle in the MvC series(which was a spin on the shotoclone style), they still added another MegaMan character due to demand. That's why their reasoning holds little water after this. First, they kept a character in despite being "not original at all"(Akuma), but also still added another one despite having one designated MegaMan series slot(Tron). There was literally no excuse not to keep MegaMan in. Updating him a little by adding a few more moves as long as it wasn't removing his core moves(meaning his actual normal attacks, and slightly changing up his specials) would've been fine. The biggest thing is people were used to using his Mega Buster and the Mega Upper. They also got used to having a rushdown attack. There's also enough ways to change his Supers, which also were changed in MvC2 a bit, without losing his main playstyle anyway. Whether he had Rush Drill or the Mega Slide didn't matter, as long as one was there, and they overall both did the same thing, go fast into the character while directly or indirectly making combos available. If the Mega Slide was a simple trip attack, that'd be different, but it wasn't designed that way.

You're trying to overthink how the archtype works. That's not the point of the archtypes. It's an overall playstyle. Many in the archtype don't act like hard copies of the rising attack, fireball, and rush attack. And that's because they don't need to outright copy the exact moves.

Also, where did you get the idea they have to be special moves? That isn't the point of the moves existing. Some clearly are special moves, but in most cases, the rushdown attack, outside of Street Fighter, tend to be normal moves that are combo starters. Also, MegaMan's first rushdown move is a special move, the Rush Drill(which frankly acts pretty much the same as the Hurricane Kick's point more than the Mega Slide does, which is to trap the opponent and heavily combo damage them. The second MvC game just put in a different style of rushdown attack).

Because again, an archtype isn't a moveset clone. It's a very specific characteristics of that archtype that are seen in multiple characters. They are not and never were the same thing.

It's more so like a vague similarity archetype. It's sounds like the same thing when you break it all down to the basics, but in terms of play style a lot of those characters listed play completely differently and have their specials work in a different manner despite it sounding the same as a basic description. I mean, there are definitely a lot that do fit the bill. But I think that it should be narrowed down a bit. I get it when they're literally using a projectile exactly like a hadoken and shoryuken, but still. Especially when the characters moveset and playstyle goes beyond just those basics.
The focus of an archtype doesn't actually go beyond the basics. The part that goes beyond it just shows that it's not a moveset clone and how there's many unique ways to do the same archtype over and over without just literally being Ryu with a different model. If nobody bothered to make them halfway unique, then the fighting games industry would be rather poor right now because everybody would be a terrible carbon copy of somebody. But that's not the case at all. Instead, they took the only 3 relevant moves for the specific archtype and created many variations of how to do the archtype.

There's barely anything vague about it. It's not an all encompassing "must be beyond exact thing". Again, you're arguing for them to be moveset clones, not shotoclones. The only problem that I can legitimately see, as a full member of the site, is many lack context. But they also do admit many of them barely fit the archtype, and that's okay too. The archtype wasn't about being a Ryu clone anyway. It was about using 2/3 of the most infamous moves among that archtype, the extremely and overused trend in the fighting game industry. Like all tropes, they're just trends you see. It's also a sub-trope of Moveset Clone, a very different trope, for a reason. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MovesetClone You keep arguing that this is the only trope that matters. But it's not for fighting games. It's quite possible to expand archtypes by using the most basic defining moves while still being unique.

I'm aware I'm repeating some points a little, but you are heavily ignoring why it's an actual unique trope in the first place from moveset clone. It's due to the trend of repeating those 3 specific traits of the Ryu style of gameplay more than anything else, enough to make its own unique trope. For the record, the origin of a term may not necessarily fit the regular definition a fan has for it. The reason is because the site grows and reworks tropes in many different ways to make things flexible enough to allow for a lot of useful examples. But as I said, many examples don't to try have any real context, and that is a legit issue.

I probably sound like a walking dictionary/advertisement by now, but you're going to see many people look at shotoclones as more of an archtype based upon specific moves, not literal Ryu carbon copies anyway. They're just using a trend they feel fits. Also, I happen to agree with the trend, but this is obviously an opinion. I did bring up the other definition you're using to show why people use shotoclone for a more specific archtype than just "moveset clone". You probably may have noticed that even the trope notes the "true" shotoclone stuff up above. But there's a major fallacy with your argument. It's a "no true scotsman" fallacy. If they're not exactly like Ryu, they can't be a shotoclone. The problem with that logic is, not all who even have the same moveset for the most part(a moveset clone is going to share most, all, or the most notable moves available, like the iconic moves of the character(which often are the specials, but this can vary. As noted, MegaMan in SSB's iconic moves are not specials, but this also shows how flexible some definition/trends in fiction can be) can be shotoclones if they don't have the same move commands either or they aren't carbon copies with the stats/knockback/damage/etc. A hard definition should not be used. It should be flexible enough. I'm not saying it needs to be so flexible you can literally ignore every potential move that a shoto does if they have something as simple as Ryu's usual aerial punch where he punches at a downwards angle. It just means that it can allow for something to be extremely similar to some moves, just enough to fit a character archtype. Also, there was another point made in the trope that they're often a jack of all stats. Key term being "often". It was a flexible trope from the start(I still agree that the lacking on context does sound like it may need a bit of cleaning up on some examples, though).

That said, these posts are getting too long so would you be okay with agreeing to disagree and move on?

D

Deleted member

That shiny Oricorio came at a price though, I accidentally EV trained my entire team for Sp.Atk when only 2 of them use it(thanks Exp.Share)
Good thing I'm planting those berries but I'll need a lot of them
Doesn't hurt that much when I'm just doing postgame stuff now

Also, what would be a good set for my Oricorio, I'm thinking of:
Baile Oricorio @Leftovers
Dancer
Rash 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Atk
Protect
Roost
Revelation Dance
Air Slash

Of course, she'd be paired with a Lilligant for Quiver Dance and Petal Dance(though that depends if it locks her on it aswell)
Thinking of doing a Dancing team with those two and a Ribombee, what would be some good Pokemon to cover their weaknesses?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The issue on my hack for two Team Names(being there's one per game, which I am loosely basing it upon Magma and Aqua, mostly due to specific Legendaries, being Manticorn(Ground/Grass) and Leviadragn(Dragon/Water). Raigekko(Electric/Fairy) is going to be based loosely upon Rayquaza's role. I actually decided these roles after figuring out these 3 Legendaries. I think it's kind of easier to try and use a similar story to the games I'm hacking, if only to make various events of the game easier to handle. I'm still a beginner at hacking, and will be getting help with hacking the game. Keep in mind I'm the idea guy, not the programming guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom