• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Wait what?

Doesn't the game have natural time progression like the last games?
Yes. The time is simply twelve hours shifted in Moon, so that when it's day it's night and when it's night it's day.

However, you eventually get the option to jump between universes in order to take advantage of the opposite game's day/night cycle.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I don't usually care for gender swapped heroes, but female black panther is hot. Marvel on Facebook has been posting her a lot lately

That's an actual character. She's liek BP's sister or something in the comics.
Yup, checked. Her name's Shuri, and she is Tchalla's younger sister.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And I have been corrected. XD

Welp. To be fair, I don't read the spoiler marked stuff, so it's easy for me to get stuff wrong. Thanks for saying something, Coricus.

And thanks for pointing that out, Gwen.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I always thought those motions were very easy. At most for some games I had issues with doing double qcb, but I learned that the problem was that I didn't put enough emphasis on the second forward. The only ones I have issue doing consistently are formerly the charge supers(Which I now how to do consistently), sometimes double full circle motion, and most of the time complicated and confusing motions that mostly come from Fatal Fury games.(Such as Geese's pretzel motion, just ones that are very specific and much longer than usual.) Though even those complicated ones depend on the game, for an example, I am able to do Vega's flying barcelona special in Street Fighter 4, yet I have trouble doing it consistently in CvS2. Other moves like the previously mentioned pretzel also vary consistency game to game despite it being the exact same motion.

Then again, most friends and people that I know have trouble doing a basic hadoken motion. One of my friends that I just had over this weekend, for an example, can sometimes do that motion if he does it over and over, then he might get one or two out of it. But he can't do it consistently at all. Then again he often pulls off weird stuff that I question whenever he just randomly goes at it, throwing around random commands and button combinations. Whether it be combos or raging demons. :p
Fun fact: Geese's raging storm is now a qcf,hcb motion in KoF XIV. Gone are good ole pretzel motions, I suppose. In general, modern fighting games have more leniency on the inputs for specials.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I always thought those motions were very easy. At most for some games I had issues with doing double qcb, but I learned that the problem was that I didn't put enough emphasis on the second forward. The only ones I have issue doing consistently are formerly the charge supers(Which I now how to do consistently), sometimes double full circle motion, and most of the time complicated and confusing motions that mostly come from Fatal Fury games.(Such as Geese's pretzel motion, just ones that are very specific and much longer than usual.) Though even those complicated ones depend on the game, for an example, I am able to do Vega's flying barcelona special in Street Fighter 4, yet I have trouble doing it consistently in CvS2. Other moves like the previously mentioned pretzel also vary consistency game to game despite it being the exact same motion.

Then again, most friends and people that I know have trouble doing a basic hadoken motion. One of my friends that I just had over this weekend, for an example, can sometimes do that motion if he does it over and over, then he might get one or two out of it. But he can't do it consistently at all. Then again he often pulls off weird stuff that I question whenever he just randomly goes at it, throwing around random commands and button combinations. Whether it be combos or raging demons. :p
Yeah, for me I had certain problems with some inputs. QCF and QCB are easy as hell once you understand it,and it doesn't take much effort. HCF/HCB are in a similar boat, slightly longer, but still moderately easy to execute. But I have a personal problem with SRK motions. I can only get them about half the time. Spider-Man's Web Swing is a Reverse SRK in Marvel 3 is less annoying since he has no QCB, which makes the move more consistent for me to throw out, by repeating the motion quickly like a jerk. I can only get Jin's EWGF on occasion too.

Charge motions are a different beast. I can get Spinning Bird Kick, Rising Tackle and Flash Kicks easy in CvS2, but I suck with sideways charge motions. I think decent timing can come from throwing out 3 jabs while holding back/crouching. After the third hit, you can press UP+ATK/FORWARD+ATK.

Though Mortal Kombat/Sabrewulf motions are pretty easy. But after doing QCFs in Tekken/Soul Calibur or Street Fighter, going back to the MK style feels off.

D

Deleted member

So, I've been away since yesterday morning, did I miss any new info on SM?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's an actual character. She's liek BP's sister or something in the comics.
Yup, checked. Her name's Shuri, and she is Tchalla's younger sister.
Yeah, I know.

I just mean the various people that take up the mantle of others

D

Deleted member

Fun fact: Geese's raging storm is now a qcf,hcb motion in KoF XIV. Gone are good ole pretzel motions, I suppose. In general, modern fighting games have more leniency on the inputs for specials.
Yeah, I'm aware. ^^(I should be getting the game soon, I just don't like asking my parents for stuff because my little bro asks for something every week.) They actually had the motion like that even earlier in some later Fatal Fury games and other games, however they changed it back to games like CvS2 just for the sake of it.(To be fair in those same games they also had other classic Fatal Fury motions like Terry's DB, DB, F. However, I don't find that nearly as hard.)

The biggest problem I have with the needlessly complicated motions is that it puts characters at a higher learning curve than other, more simple characters, even if the character with the complicated motions is great.(Like Geese.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Heh. Maybe that's why I can do Marvel 3's Webswing by mashing QCB quickly. I know SF4 has uppercut shortcuts, at the very least for Ken. I think it uses only diagonals.

I honestly think Rising Thunder did a better job at making fighting games more accessible since it mostly removed the input barrier other fighting games have.

But then again, I'm basically an informed casual, so I know how to do inputs like qcb -> hcf + P consistently :p
Informed casual? I'm pretty sure anyone who uses Kyo is a bit more than a casual.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I'm aware. ^^ They actually had the motion like that even earlier in some later Fatal Fury games and other games, however they changed it back to games like CvS2 just for the sake of it.(To be fair in those same games they also had other classic Fatal Fury motions like Terry's DB, DB, F. However, I don't find that nearly as hard.)

The biggest problem I have with the needlessly complicated motions is that it puts characters at a higher learning curve than other, more simple characters, even if the character with the complicated motions is great.(Like Geese.)
That learning curve might make some sense for the likes of Geese, seeing as he's usually a boss character of some sort in the majority of games you'll see him in.

You know what else is irratating to do? Ivy's fancy sword throws in Soul Calibur. Luckily I mostly use Nightmare and Kilik anyway.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. Hasn't happened in a good while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, for me I had certain problems with some inputs. QCF and QCB are easy as hell once you understand it,and it doesn't take much effort. HCF/HCB are in a similar boat, slightly longer, but still moderately easy to execute. But I have a personal problem with SRK motions. I can only get them about half the time. Spider-Man's Web Swing is a Reverse SRK in Marvel 3 is less annoying since he has no QCB, which makes the move more consistent for me to throw out, by repeating the motion quickly like a jerk. I can only get Jin's EWGF on occasion too.

Charge motions are a different beast. I can get Spinning Bird Kick, Rising Tackle and Flash Kicks easy in CvS2, but I suck with sideways charge motions. I think decent timing can come from throwing out 3 jabs while holding back/crouching. After the third hit, you can press UP+ATK/FORWARD+ATK.

Though Mortal Kombat/Sabrewulf motions are pretty easy. But after doing QCFs in Tekken/Soul Calibur or Street Fighter, going back to the MK style feels off.
I had a problem with SRK motions when I first started playing CvM3 back in the day.(The only fighting game franchise I've played prior to that is MK.) I find them easy now, however, I just do it like this :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR:. Basically just doing a downwards hadoken motion then followed by DF, I can do it consistently no problem once I found that out.

Charge motions were off to me too at first, not the specials, but the supers, my problem was that I kept accidentally jumping, it just felt impossible for me to do consistently. Though I found out that sticking your motion closer to crouching rather than jumping helps out a lot, because even if you do crouch down it won't cancel out. In fact, whenever I want to do a charge motion without moving I just hold down back, which is required for some moves anyway.

Yeah, I grew up on MK and was a MK fanboy up until I actually tried other fighters, now coming back to MK at times I realize why people think it feels so weird. It even feels strange to me, especially the older MKs.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do fighting games purposely make some moves difficult to perform for balance reasons? I've been curious why some characters sometimes have essentially the same moves but it's harder to do with one character.

Certain moves with like quarter turns and stuff I still can't do

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
He goes Super Sonic too?! Super excited for this, my Dimensions should be arriving today or tomorrow at the latest. Can't wait to go grab Sun, Moon and Sonic this Friday!
I've heard Super Sonic is an unlockable. You have to find secret special stages in his Story Mode level to unlock it.

Newt Scamander apparently has an unlockable ability too. Not sure if any Year 1 characters had this though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do fighting games purposely make some moves difficult to perform for balance reasons? I've been curious why some characters sometimes have essentially the same moves but it's harder to do with one character.

Pretty much. Stronger moves can be made harder to do. However, in practice, it doesn't work all that well as a concept. Too many characters are just plain better since they're easier to play as and still have great moves. Take the normal Hadouken. Easy to do, and can be spammed enough to win in some Street Fighter games.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Man, it only feels like a month or two ago since Sun and Moon's announcement, despite the fact that was back in February. Now, we're more or less five days away from their release. It's crazy just how close we are, how short-lived the speculation era was, and how drastically the next games have differentiated themselves from the rest.

The end of an era is nigh. And it's going to be a weird, yet good end.

:094:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Random thought:

Life is like a useful vacuum cleaner.

It can suck, but is that a bad thing?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
User was warned for this post
Trigger Warning

Lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a mix of both that and tradition/legacy, but mostly tradition/legacy. Geese for an example back in the day made a lot of sense to have complex motions for his supers and such because they are so effective.(The raising storm back then especially is easily one of the strongest fighting game moves I can think of.)

Pretty much. Stronger moves can be made harder to do. However, in practice, it doesn't work all that well as a concept. Too many characters are just plain better since they're easier to play as and still have great moves. Take the normal Hadouken. Easy to do, and can be spammed enough to win in some Street Fighter games.
Pressure is the greatest thing you can have on your side, that's why so many people think that projectiles alone make or break a character. When really when you know how to overcome the projectile properly, it doesn't become much of a problem, just one of many tools the opponent has. In fact none projectile specials tend to have more use. For an example in KoF 98 UM there's an EX version of Geese that has the reppuken as a projectile, yet the normal one's slicing reppuken's are considered to be more effective and potent.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I could just post stuff without warnings. It's always funner that way

Last edited:

Chrono.

I'm watching a clip from his stream and I'm more confused than I was before.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
WARNING: A lot of bad language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom