• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Only America would elect Trump." Is it only Americans saying those things?

Other places in the world have voted for Brexit, Erdogan, Duterte, and some guy you may or may not have heard of named Hitler. Not to say all those are on equal footing, but it's not just America that makes questionable, marginalizing electoral decisions.
I think people are saying it because the difference between those situations and this is that Trump is literally stupid. Like, he's like a cartoon character stupid.

Not that I'm advocating Hitler here, but if you think about how things were from the perspective of a German citizen in that time, Hitler, legitimately, did seem like a promising leader. He was also a phenomenal public speaker.

Hitler at least SEEMED like a sensible choice until he revealed and enforced his sick agenda. Most people can't even fathom how Trump even got as far as being an electoral candidate, though. The two are not comparable in this sense at all.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just want Pokemon to release already so I can take this off of my head

"For the oppressors, every reaction of the oppressed is radical and exaggerated"
You act like labeling was such a terrible act against those people when those groups that are fighting back have literally died because of who they are
So, they generalize an entire group of people just because of situations of their birth they can't control

Because other people marginalized them for situations of their birth they couldn't control?

Does that seem like justice to you? Does that seem fair?

The only way to make up for the fact one side of the scale had more weight for a time is to make sure our side has an equal time where it has all the weight

Instead of making the scale balanced?

How about NO ONE marginalizes an entire group of people and talks bigoted toward anyone

And EVERYONE views eachother as an equal

Instead of everyone fighting for power

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You act like labeling was such a terrible act against those people when those groups that are fighting back have literally died because of who they are
Is it mortally wrong? Not necessarily.

Is it stupid? Yes.

It's not gonna win people to their side.

Look at all the great social justice movements in the past.

MLK, Ghandi, etc.

Radicals, yes, but they all knew one thing.

You don't openly blame the oppressor because if you do the oppressor won't listen.

MLK attempted to befriend them while doing his protests. Ghandi spun his narrative so that the British were simply diseased and could be cured with love.

You have to win their heart. Slowly but surely.

Won't win everyone over but once you got it, you get it forever. It's the most successful way of doing it.

It's why those movements worked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except Hilary is white and straight, so I don't understand your point.
Actually, people who think like can just as easily be white, male, and straight too. In fact a lot of people think like that out of guilt, which I can understand, but I don't think it's the right direction for us. Luckily most of the LGBT community is pretty opened minded from what I've seen, having all sorts of opinions. However, I don't think it's good for us to have a small loud sensitive set of people speak for all of us. It just makes things harder on us, because rather than just being relatable people, the normal everyday person often thinks of us as oversentive and selfish as a result.

I for an example, leaned towards Trump just because I wanted to feel like I can enter a new age at least.(I'm 16, I've had Obama as president most of the life that I remember, and while I don't find him bad, I just don't want a more radical Obama presidency, I want my hated president to be at least interesting to me.) Though that's just my reason, and many different people have very different reasons. It's not black or white, and I can see the reason for voting for either or. I just don't like it when people start to label everyone else just because of who they voted for, and nothing to do with who they are.

And this doesn't just go for Hillary supporters, Trump supporters would've labeled people too, of course. And said that it was rigged and would've used Hillary's win as proof for corruption regardless, unless Trump were to win... Yeah, you can see the broken logic in that. So I don't appreciate it much when someone assumes that anyone who voted Trump must be racist, just like on the other end of the coin you'd have those supporters claiming that "libtard cucks" are the reason why Trump lost if he did.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Well I seem a bit awkward asking this right now considering the current topic of discussion, but w/e.

Could be a potential Sun and Moon leak (though it's nothing new, so to speak).

I saw this video earlier (see spoiler - post continued in there):

Now, when I was looking through some general battle theme files yesterday, I never saw a file that related to Cynthia. Anyone know if this really is in the game?

Edit: it seems there are more videos like this for other characters, like Wally (and some other leaked returning characters who I won't name - if you search hard enough you can find a few examples).

I just want to know whether these are really in the game, or whether this is somebody posting videos for views.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think people are saying it because the difference between those situations and this is that Trump is literally stupid. Like, he's like a cartoon character stupid.

Not that I'm advocating Hitler here, but if you think about how things were from the perspective of a German citizen in that time, Hitler, legitimately, did seem like a promising leader. He was also a phenomenal public speaker.

Hitler at least SEEMED like a sensible choice until he revealed and enforced his sick agenda. Most people can't even fathom how Trump even got as far as being an electoral candidate, though. The two are not comparable in this sense at all.
Aye, I remember learning about Hitler in school. He sounded like he was providing Germany everything it needed to rebuild national morale. Well more like wanted, like a scapegoat in the Jews.

So yeah like you said, in the eyes of Germany post WWI he seemed promising but history paints a very different picture.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well I seem a bit awkward asking this right now considering the current topic of discussion, but w/e.

Could be a potential Sun and Moon leak (though it's nothing new, so to speak).

Now, when I was looking through some general battle theme files yesterday, I never saw a file that related to Cynthia. Anyone know if this really is in the game?

Edit: it seems there are more videos like this for other characters, like Wally (and some other leaked returning characters who I won't name - if you search hard enough you can find a few examples).

I just want to know whether these are really in the game, or whether this is somebody posting videos for views.
Thats probably for that Battle Tree

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

Could be a potential Sun and Moon leak (though it's nothing new).

It is in the game; all trainers (except Red and Blue) of previous games doesn't have their themes remixed.
That kinda sucks
And I say kinda because Colress Theme is already perfect.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well at least this election hasn't ruined ice cream yet.

20161109_050516.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well Godwin's Law has been invoked. It was inevitable but then again, it always is.
There's a difference between bringing up an example to give context and calling Trump Hitler.

I did only one of these.

Was it not an example which fit my paradigm?

Trump isn't stupid, he's just not a politician. He's not going to have the knowledge necessary to combat Clinton, or any real politician, in debates regarding politics. Which is one of the reasons he shouldn't have gotten where he ended. But he played to his strengths, he knows how to manipulate, and it wasn't dignified or appropriate, but it worked. Plus, to be fair, there are clearly a lot of people that see Trump as a promising leader.

Also, when the Nazi party was gaining momentum, there was mass fleeing from Germany. It was hardly a case of the entire zeitgeist of the nation becoming enamoured with Hitler. He galvanized many, but that's not to say he wasn't also divisive and discriminatory, which is the point I was initially responding to (though I didn't quote it, which is my bad I suppose). Though in that era, such inflammatory remarks against minorities were not as resounding, not only because apart from Jews (and we know what happened there) Germany at the time was much more culturally homogenous than America now.

Again, not calling Trump Hitler. Of course he's not Hitler. Just saying controversial, discriminatory and divisive elected officials have happened before. He was only one of my examples... feel free to pay equal attention to the others. People think Hilary is a crook... Hitler was a convicted felon and still got elected.

Anyway, not gonna bring up Hitler anymore. People will miss the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, they generalize an entire group of people just because of situations of their birth they can't control

Because other people marginalized them for situations of their birth they couldn't control?

Does that seem like justice to you? Does that seem fair?

The only way to make up for the fact one side of the scale had more weight for a time is to make sure our side has an equal time where it has all the weight

Instead of making the scale balanced?

How about NO ONE marginalizes an entire group of people and talks bigoted toward anyone

And EVERYONE views eachother as an equal

Instead of everyone fighting for power
So, you're saying marginalizing someone by reasons they can't control is wrong? Geez sounds like something...
You have to understand these groups aren't generalizing anyone, saying things like that are a way to fight back, it's so people like you can try to understand at least a fraction of what they go through
It's a way so they can try to rationalize everything they go through

Is it stupid? Yes.

It's not gonna win people to their side.

Look at all the great social justice movements in the past.

MLK, Ghandi, etc.

Radicals, yes, but they all knew one thing.

You don't openly blame the oppressor because if you do the oppressor won't listen.

MLK attempted to befriend them while doing his protests. Ghandi spun his narrative so that the British were simply diseased and could be cured with love.

You have to win their heart. Slowly but surely.

Won't win everyone over but once you got it, you get it forever. It's the most successful way of doing it.
You seem to be forgetting that social rights aren't achieved simply through talking, especially when one side doesn't want to hear them
Should you blame a dog that bites you back after you kick it? Someone scared for their life, that can't seem to find help will just try to talk to their oppresor? I've seen people get beaten up in the middle of a street in broad daylight, with people watching it and doing nothing, you think talking will solve anything in this situation?
The more you kick the dog, the more painful the bite will be; the more you demonize it for trying to protect itself, the more angry it will be at you
Or how about a more "real life" example: was a slave that killed his "owner" to escape doing anything wrong? Should he have just talked with someone that didn't see him as human?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Well...

Damn, she looks young.
Before knowing she's a mother of two I saw her on her mid 20s

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There's a difference between bringing up an example to give context and calling Trump Hitler.

I did only one of these.

Trump isn't stupid, he's just not a politician. He's not going to have the knowledge necessary to combat Clinton, or any real politician, in debates regarding politics. Which is one of the reasons he shouldn't have gotten where he ended. But he played to his strengths, he knows how to manipulate, and it wasn't dignified or appropriate, but it worked. Plus, to be fair, there are clearly a lot of people that see Trump as a promising leader.

Also, when the Nazi party was gaining momentum, there was mass fleeing from Germany. It was hardly a case of the entire zeitgeist of the nation becoming enamoured with Hitler. He galvanized many, but that's not to say he wasn't also divisive and discriminatory, which is the point I was initially responding to (though I didn't quote it, which is my bad I suppose). Though in that era, such inflammatory remarks against minorities were not as resounding, not only because apart from Jews (and we know what happened there) Germany at the time was much more culturally homogenous than America now.

Again, not calling Trump Hitler. Of course he's not Hitler. Just saying controversial, discriminatory and divisive leaders have happened before. He was only one of my examples... feel free to pay equal attention to the others. People think Hilary is a crook... Hitler was a convicted felon and still got elected.

Anyway, not gonna bring up Hitler anymore. People will miss the forest for the trees.
You still made a comparison between Trump and Hitler claiming political victories.
Forgive me if you interpreted me as perpetuating the belief that any comparison to Hitler or Nazism makes an argument invalid. I was more so just pointing out that Hitler has been mentioned, as stated would occur by Godwin's Law.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You seem to be forgetting that social rights aren't achieved simply through talking, especially when one side doesn't want to hear them
It's why they keep talking to the middle.

The middle is where things sway.

Should you blame a dog that bites you back after you kick it? Someone scared for their life, that can't seem to find help will just try to talk to their oppresor? I've seen people get beaten up in the middle of a street in broad daylight, with people watching it and doing nothing, you think talking will solve anything in this situation?
The more you kick the dog, the more painful the bite will be; the more you demonize it for trying to protect itself, the more angry it will be at you
Or how about a more "real life" example: was a slave that killed his "owner" to escape doing anything wrong? Should he have just talked with someone that didn't see him as human?
You're missing the point, man.

I never said the dog wasn't justified in biting or the slave wasn't justified in killing.

I said it was stupid.

The dog biting back too many times will make people think it's rabid.

You have to understand, the oppressor will misconstrue anything to make the oppressed seem like they belong there.

They key to winning is to not give them material and thus make the moderates think their ideologies have no basis.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You still made a comparison between Trump and Hitler claiming political victories.
Forgive me if you interpreted me as perpetuating the belief that any comparison to Hitler or Nazism makes an argument invalid. I was more so just pointing out that Hitler has been mentioned, as stated would occur by Godwin's Law.
True, but I wasn't even the first one to bring up Hitler in the thread today...

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
It is in the game; all trainers (except Red and Blue) of previous games doesn't have their themes remixed.
That kinda sucks
And I say kinda because Colress Theme is already perfect.
Wait, really?!

That's f*cking awesome! I was kind of worried that they would just make them have the regular Trainer battle theme.

But for me, any version of Cynthia's theme is fantastic; ten years and that theme still pumps me up. And yes, Colress's theme is perfect as is. If you know about Colress I'm assuming you know about the other characters. Even the Unova E4 theme for Grimsley is pretty cool, but I wonder which theme they'll give Anabel? Will they give her her Emerald theme, or will they give her the OR/AS theme even though it technically wasn't her in that game? I'm assuming the latter (because I haven't actually checked yet).

But I wonder why these themes didn't appear in the music datamine? That seems a little strange. Do Battle Tree themes not appear with the other themes? Does this hint that the themes I saw before are just battle themes for characters that you battle out of the Battle Tree?
That means we can battle Red and Blue outside of the Battle Tree if this is true; though this was kinda obvious going off of the trailer they were revealed in.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
True, but I wasn't even the first one to bring up Hitler in the thread today...
Ah, well it was the first post I saw mentioning Hitler.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I did only one of these.

Again, not calling Trump Hitler. Of course he's not Hitler. Just saying controversial, discriminatory and divisive leaders have happened before. He was only one of my examples... feel free to pay equal attention to the other trees.
So he's stupid in a political context. Same thing really.

I'm aware Hitler of course wasn't unanimously accepted, but way more people genuinely had absolute faith in Hitler compared to both Clinton and Trump. A lot of people voted for what they felt was "the lesser of two evils" this election. At least with Hitler, it was a much clearer "in or out" situation.

I still think your attempt at an analogy here is completely flawed. I really don't feel like Trump getting elected is at all comparable to any of the situations you mentioned. Trump getting elected is a stupid hole America dug itself into, which is the direct result of basically allowing anyone to run for president. America is one of the only countries in the world to have such a lax condition for such a big position. Hence, this literally is an "only in America" situation.

D

Deleted member

Is that...Chocolate?:229:
:228:How dare you not eat vanilla
Strawberry is the best anyway. Though all three are making me hungry.

Unless we are counting ice cream outisde of those three, then it's mint and chip.

Unless we are counting the more extraggant ones too, then it's Mud Pie Ice Cream.

Or I can just have all of them at once. :p

So, you're saying marginalizing someone by reasons they can't control is wrong? Geez sounds like something...
You have to understand these groups aren't generalizing anyone, saying things like that are a way to fight back, it's so people like you can try to understand at least a fraction of what they go through
It's a way so they can try to rationalize everything they go through

I can definitely see where your coming from, especially in countries where they're heavily oppressed and casually beaten. However, for America I see the anology more so of a dog coming up in a dark ally, but the person can't really tell if the dog is safe or not, so he kicks because he fears it, however, if the dog doesn't bite back, then what? Well then, perhaps now he understands that the dog is not hostile like he assumed it was, that he misjudged the dog. If the dog bites back like it most likely would, however, then his preconceptions turned out to be true so he continues to beat down the dog.

But anyway, to describe it normally, we can't just treat them like they treated us, that only creates a double standard and makes us seem selfish for our own needs and feelings. What we really need to do is what got us to progress. Which is to educate people about us, to let them know that we are just different people that come in all shades too, that are differences don't really set each other so much apart. Logic and reasoning is the key to keeping things civil. Don't stoop down to the level of bigots, that's why I dislike labeling and generalizing other people over things that don't say anything specific about them. That's how we've gotten the majority to accept us, to get them to despise us again would be stooping down to the level of bigots, then that creates a generalization for them too rather than just bigots.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And in that lies the truth that some people just won't change.
Of course.

I'm not suggesting that love will magically turn mean people nice.

It may for some sure, but the more moderate people are where you will find the most sympathizers.

D

Deleted member

I can definitely see where your coming from, especially in countries where they're heavily oppressed and casually beaten
I live in one of such countries, it's not uncommon to see news articles about such things. And not just direct violence either, suicides due to prejudice are in there as well
And also, trust me, I'm very sure the US are no different in this case
And I'm not even talking about places where things like homosexuality are criminalized
But anyway, to describe it normally, we can't just treat them like they treated us, that only creates a double standard and makes us seem selfish for our own needs and feelings. What we really need to do is what got us to progress. Which is to educate people about us, to let them know that we are just different people that come in all shades too, that are differences don't really set each other so much apart. Logic and reasoning is the key to keeping things civil. Don't stoop down to the level of bigots, that's why I dislike labeling and generalizing other people over things that don't say anything specific about them. That's how we've gotten the majority to accept us, to get them to despise us again would be stooping down to the level of bigots, then that creates a generalization for them too rather than just bigots.
That sounds beautiful tbh, but unfortunately it's not how the world works
I never said appeal to the kicker.

Besides, you're underestimating the dog man.
It's not about changing someone's views, such acts are self-defense, they are people fighting back to protect themselves
Appealing to the middle may work to change their views but it doesn't stop the immediate threat that some live daily

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not about changing someone's views, such acts are self-defense, they are people fighting back to protect themselves
There is a big difference between self defense and returning a slam.

Appealing to the middle may work to change their views but it doesn't stop the immediate threat that some live daily
It's the best option they got most of the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is a big difference between self defense and returning a favor.

It's the best option they got most of the time.
The best option is usually the language the oppressor knows
But people don't see them how they're supposed to, it's to try to make others understand what they go through, not an act of revenge or hate

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm saying it won't.

The move was so widely popular, that removing it would be political suicide and grounds for impeachment.

Even Trump knows that and is why he attempted (not well) to get LGBTQ votes.

Supporting those parties wasn't the extreme I was talking about.

Heck if that was it, Clinton would have won hands down.

I was talking about the far far left. The kind that do nothing but shame and attack. Hence why I said, extreme. People associated those people with Clinton whether she deserved it or not.

Eh, slightly different.

Trump insulted people.

But the groups in question shamed people.

I can see the distinction, though both are awful.

This is sadly the truth.

Trump was the wake up call America needed.

But I don't think voting him in was the solution....
Impeachment means Pence would follow up right?If Drumpf gets rid of gay marriage and gets impeachment, what happens to gay marriage then? Genuinely curious

D

Deleted member

I live in one of such countries, it's not uncommon to see news articles about such things. And not just direct violence either, suicides due to prejudice are in there as well
And also, trust me, I'm very sure the US are no different in this case
And I'm not even talking about places where things like homosexuality are criminalized
You're not completely wrong at all. I'm aware on how it is in Brazil, and it's actually criminiziled in my country of origin. Heck, one of my best friend's and former boyfriend(and I say former not because I don't love him, I say former because the situation is far too harsh and unrealistic thanks to his sitution) is heavily oppressed by his parents. However, I'm not talking so much a personal sense of defending yourself when someone's actually oppressing you, I mean more so in a political discussion sense, the kind people have on the internet and in debates. Not in defense, but trying to logically debate. You yoursef are using reason against me rather than calling me names and trash talking me, that's the kind of stuff that I'm against in these kinds of discussions.

That sounds beautiful tbh, but unfortunately it's not how the world works
The world doesn't work the same for everyone, it entirely depends on your living conditions. I myself ended up okay with my parents letting them know who I am because I was able to reason with them, if I were to just call them names and labels then that would've just made everything much worse. However, I can see your reasoning with people with a my way or the high way type style, especially in poorer areas generally, when that's the only thing you really have on your side.

However, merely name calling alone tends to be presented as full arguements. If you give reasons then I'm fine with that, but people often have this witch hunt mentality and will label others rather than do that to prove their point. For an example, I've been called a mysoginistic rapist before just because of one youtube channel I'm subscribed to. Their reasoning for that was basically just that they didn't like the channel, no real reason.

Or a much bigger example would be is after my last major break up, my GF got ahold of her and my former friends, and they all ganged up on me just because I was upset that she cheated on me. They claimed that I was all sorts of things, mysgonistic, sexist, homophobic, and racist. Because she just happened to date another african american girl. But that wasn't the reason why I was upset at all.

I just get tired of people relying so much on simple words for entire arguements. I just want us to be above the bigots is all, not like them, I understand when it's personal and the only option, but I don't want it to represent the movement.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
This morning, I woke up, checked who won this election, and squealed like a schoolgirl.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Two definite good things to come from Trump winning:

1) Nobody can say the vote was rigged. Democracy is truly still alive in the US.

2) Russia really hated Clinton, but adored Trump. So Russian/American relations could smooth over a bit.

D

Deleted member

Two definite good things to come from Trump winning:

1) Nobody can say the vote was rigged. Democracy is truly still alive in the US.

2) Russia really hated Clinton, but adored Trump. So Russian/American relations could smooth over a bit.
Yeah, those are definitely two positives I got out of Trump winning.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Impeachment means Pence would follow up right?If Drumpf gets rid of gay marriage and gets impeachment, what happens to gay marriage then? Genuinely curious
Okay...

You don't want Pence.

Trump probably won't touch gay marriage but Pence definitely will try to.

Regardless, if Trump somehow managed to get gay marriage illegal, he'd have to do so through the Court and Congress.

I don't think they'll follow suit but if that happens it would stay even though he was impeached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom