• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

After all the curveballs Sakurai has thrown at us in the past, I think it's for the best that I don't make any roster predictions for a potential Switch port of Smash 4.

Ivander

Smash Legend
People betting on a Gen VII Pokemon are going to be disappointed.

People betting on Robinhoot are going to be REALLY disappointed.
Agreed. Bandwagoning mostly ends in disappointment. On the remaining finger though, Smash pulling another Corrin is not impossible and still rather exciting for those who prepare for disappointment, but are still good with the character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not convinced we'll get a Gen 7 character but if we do I don't see who else it would be other than Owlmon.

No Lucario/Zoroark equivalent nor Mewtwo/Deoxys/Genesect deal that we know of yet.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
People betting on a Gen VII Pokemon are going to be disappointed.

People betting on Robinhoot are going to be REALLY disappointed.
I think at least one mon from Gen 7 is very likely. It's Nintendo's second biggest IP, has a massive range of characters, and many of them have high moveset potential and elemental abilities that few other characters are capable of.

That's a big reason why Sakurai and his team pulled the trigger on a Gen 6 mon for the first two versions: X and Y were going to have been out for a year by their release, and Pokémon from that generation were going to be relevant. Game Freak sent them art assets and other things for some of the new mons, and Greninja was chosen out of them. His "window of opportunity" was open, as Sakurai has said about relevance before. I think they'll do it again, especially considering there are prominent mons with plant/wind and earth powers this time around, which are very rare on the roster as is.

Granted, I'm guessing this game won't be out right at launch, it'll be out next fall right at the end of the launch window...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As for what I'm thinking...actually, let me put this into tiers.

A Tier

Inkling
Ice Climbers
Robinhoot (or whatever its actual name ends up being)

B+ Tier
Wolf
Paper Mario
A Third Party Character

B- Tier
Elma
Rhythm Heaven Character
Lycanroc (either form)
Another Smash Ballot Character

C Tier
Bandana Dee
2nd Third Party Character

These don't reflect any actual percentage chance I think they'd have, just how they relate to each other. No clue what third party characters would get the nod, though I think Shovel Knight is a bit overrated and that Monster Hunter and Geno should get a closer look than they have been so far. I left K. Rool off because he needs the Smash Ballot as-is, but if a new DK game gets announced that he appears in, I think he'd immediately move up to B+...if not A.

As far as wants go, a lot of the characters I was pulling for before have relevance issues now (rip Delphox) or had them all along and I'd overlooked how important that was. I still wouldn't mind seeing Isaac or Krystal get in, but I'm not getting my hopes up...at least not for the latter until Smash 5, when (hopefully) her series has righted the ship again.
I doubt that Elma's chances are that high TBH. Unless there's a new Xenoblade coming out soon which I doubt.

I'm sort of with you on characters that I personally want that i'm doubtful will join the game. I really want Andy to get in this port though i'm doubtful on that unless a new Advance Wars game launches within the first year of the Switch. Same with Isaac. Golden Sun has been MIA and unlike Advance Wars which Intelligent Systems have commented on multiple times we really have no idea about the status of the series.
I have literally worn the same outfit as the blonde airport girl in the commercial.
Maybe that's your evil twin?

D

Deleted member

Gee, it sure is boring around here, and I'm watching a documentary that's making me sick.
Let's argue about something!

Everyone should be able to deny the transfer of property or entrance into contract to anyone on any arbitrary basis they please, except when they have bound themselves by fully voluntary, fully informed, and explicit contract.
For example, say two Nazis were getting married and they asked a Jewish baker to make the cake. The baker ought not be interfered with by government in the slightest when he chooses not to take their money or enter into the contract.
This principle is to be applied consistently and thoroughly to all people, regardless of their backgrounds or reasons. Such as where jobs are concerned the employer ought not be interfered with by the use of force or the threat thereof.
Say, if a Jew owned a barber shop, and a Nazi barber wanted to work there, the former ought be allowed to deny his application. Likewise, with the racist shop owner and a black barber, with the ideologue and his political opponents, and so on.
It's not about whether they have good or bad reasons, it's about their supreme and arbitrary property right to associate and disassociate with whomever they please (ownership of the self), and dispose or not dispose of what is theirs (ownership of our other possessions), on whatever basis. There is no conceivable problem that could arise from this principle of peaceful social interaction that could not be solved by the natural course of civil society, government need not be introduced into the question.
Come at me. (ง °ل͜°)ง
Well, from a hypothetical point of view, long as it goes both ways and if people have that much of a problem with whoever the service provider is they'd likely boycott anyway.

However, like many libertarian views, that's simply just a hypothetical wet dream that doesn't work so much in execution. A huge reason why anti discrimination laws are in place, is so you aren't denied basic public access basically everywhere you go. I'd rather not see "white only" signs across America again, that slippery slope goes both ways. I'd personally rather deal with people without any conflict, not every person I talk to daily needs to know every single personal detail about me every time I have to go shopping or anything along those lines, I'd rather just go on with whatever business and go on with my day.

Yeah, it'd work in a lab setting, but then you've got certain hot spots like the south where things would be, well... I don't think I really need to explain. Though that's not the only way, there's plenty of ways where you can just see all kinds of unnecessary controversy weekly on what could of easily been avoided if business was business.

And no this isn't about the whole cake thing, I could care less about that, that was such a non issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

Sun and Moon demo has 3.5 million downloads and is the fastest start for a demo in 3DS history.

damn

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I must confess I haven't actually played smash in like a solid month. Anyway, how is everyone?
Laughing at a troll that just got dunked on in a Paper Mario video I've watched.

Nothing more entertaining that seeing an obvious troll's attempts result in failure.

Agreed. Bandwagoning mostly ends in disappointment. On the remaining finger though, Smash pulling another Corrin is not impossible and still rather exciting for those who prepare for disappointment, but are still good with the character.
Just as long as more forced Fire Emblem reps happen, I'm fine with it. 6 is a bit too much after all and Corrin was the straw that broke the camel's back near the end of Smash speculation.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Robinhoot is literally an archer owl so its definently unique in terms of character potential in Smash. Mimikyu is also a unique choice for being both a Ghost, which could include ghost-like abilities, and having those Shadow limbs. Beltigre could integrate a "Crafty Falcon" sort of playstyle- a true fighter with some sucker punch-esqe moves.

Those are the only three of thus Gen 7 I can possibly see become playable. And Mimikyu so far is a big competitor for it seems to be favored thus far by GF. But Robinroot or Beltigre haven't been officially confirmed yet so who knows. I just hope Sakurai plays his cards right again if he picks. He lucked out on Greninja.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Do my eyes deceive me, people are actually talking about the possibility of Beltigre in Smash and not just Robingroot?

I think I need to lie down.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can't stand Mimikyu. And it's not even Mimikyu's fault, it's a creative idea. And it's cute. I'm just sick of Pikachu. xP

Also don't like Tigermon as a Pokemon so I hope we don't get that one. Also we already have Charizard. muhdiversity

I'd be fine with Owlmon.

Cardboardtubeknight

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
4914-7294-5851
Laughing at a troll that just got dunked on in a Paper Mario video I've watched.

Nothing more entertaining that seeing an obvious troll's attempts result in failure.
I hate trolls man. I mean I usually don't even care about most things, but when you got plane crash jokes on 9/11 being passed thats just too much. I mean what kind of mindset does it take to pull that off really.

We already have his father, Captain Falcon, though.
Even Steve would probably approve of this.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I agree on both but Why do you say this??
Part of it is a gut feeling that Sakurai thinks our current cast of Pokemon is enough.

:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo:

Part of it is because I feel that priorities will be elsewhere, (Inkling, easy vets like Wolf and Ice Climbers, a Ballot Character and maybe a Third Party).

And a third part of it is because I think if Gen VII got a character it wouldn't be Robinhoot. I think the Beltigre, Mimikyu and Tapu Koko are more likely.

This is of course, assuming another Pokemon character is on the table. I don't think it is right now. Not that Pokemon couldn't get seven characters, if any series got that high at this point it'd be Pokemon. I just don't feel it's the time right now.

I don't see how.

If it's an enhanced port it'll likely come out within the first year of the Switch. So a lack of relevance isn't an issue.
I'm not denying relevance.

And then there's the fact that Sun and Moon are, in part, the culmination of Pokémon's 20th anniversary. That's massive, and I can easily see Sakurai wanting someone from it in the game.
Entirely possible, but again I don't think it's likely. Not that Pokemon's 20 isn't a big deal or anything, but I think we would get a stage before anything else.

Add in the fact that a pure archer character (that is, using their bow and arrows for more than their neutral special) hasn't been seen in Smash yet, and I really think it's a solid bet.
This is assuming Robinhoot even works that way.

When I see him, I see an avian fighter with one or two bow moves. You're forgetting that Robinhoot doesn't actually have a bow meaning most of the physical attacks (like Marvel's Hawkeye and Injustice's Green Arrow) simply don't work. Unless Robinhoot has multiple arrow types, and can make normals based on those, your playstyle is dead in the water. You wouldn't get an archer. You'd get a bird with one or two archer moves. Granted that would still be unique.

It's at the very least a lot more plausible than Sceptile's "complete the starter type trio" bandwagon.
Not really.

Both cite relevance as their main thing (remember ORAS was new at the time) and by coincidence it went with the grass starter again.

I think at least one mon from Gen 7 is very likely. It's Nintendo's second biggest IP, has a massive range of characters, and many of them have high moveset potential and elemental abilities that few other characters are capable of.
You're preaching to the choir here. I know Pokemon has literally tons of options for fighters, Gen VII or not. I just don't think it'll be this time, and I don't think it'll be Robnhoot.

That's a big reason why Sakurai and his team pulled the trigger on a Gen 6 mon for the first two versions: X and Y were going to have been out for a year by their release, and Pokémon from that generation were going to be relevant. Game Freak sent them art assets and other things for some of the new mons, and Greninja was chosen out of them.
Yes, but we are assuming this will happen again naught but a few years down the line.

ink they'll do it again, especially considering there are prominent mons with plant/wind and earth powers this time around, which are very rare on the roster as is.
Robinhoot could fill a niche, I'm not denying that.

I'm just not convinced he'd happen.

That all said, I really like Robinhoot so if he was picked, I might have a new main.

I am just unconvinced.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I hope the next character in smash is Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Nah your just being silly. Sakurai cares about relevancy so obviously it's going to be John Cena. There's already too many WWE reps in Smash Bros already.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do my eyes deceive me, people are actually talking about the possibility of Beltigre in Smash and not just Robingroot?

I think I need to lie down.
Part of that streams from the idea of "If it stands on two legs, it's more likely for Smash." I mean, besides Ivysaur and the Duck Hunt Dog, there really aren't any other 4 legged fighters. They are not impossible, but it doesn't really help that the 2 leggers are more easy to make and that people seem to go for anything with 2 legs rather than more than 2.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I knew a girl that was a twin and apparently she had issues with being called the evil twin

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
You guys?
Am I the only one who doesn't want one of the starters to be in the next smash?
I'd MUCH rather see Passimian or one of the Ultra Beasts.
My Marshtomp managed to take him down...

My Machoke with his Power-up Punch boost (after KOing Archie's Mightyena) and Swagger'd confusion just knocked himself out...that and Sharpedo hits pretty hard as well...
Ahhh forgot swagger inflicts confusion.....really hate that.

D

Deleted member

:4link::4tlink::4pit::4darkpit:

too many archers boys

:4dedede::4falco::4duckhunt:

we're also set for birds

sorry boys, irrefutable
You know what we do need though? Grapple characters.... And Wrestlers.... THIS SUNDAY NIGHT AT THE WWE SUUUUUPER SLAM.... Also, cats.

Also, fire.

Also, darkness.

Also, edge. :4darkpit:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4link::4tlink::4pit::4darkpit:

too many archers boys

:4dedede::4falco::4duckhunt:

we're also set for birds

sorry boys, irrefutable
You see guys?

It's full proof!11!1!

Looks like you guyz owe me apologys moneiz.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Not really.

Both cite relevance as their main thing (remember ORAS was new at the time) and by coincidence it went with the grass starter again.

---

You're preaching to the choir here. I know Pokemon has literally tons of options for fighters, Gen VII or not. I just don't think it'll be this time, and I don't think it'll be Robnhoot.

---

That all said, I really like Robinhoot so if he was picked, I might have a new main.

I am just unconvinced.
Sceptile's situation was...more different than it seems. There were people on the "complete the starter trio" wagon, but past that, there was a compelling argument. Adding a Grass type to complete an arbitrary group was always a misguided idea, but the fact that there are no Grass types or anyone with those kinds of powers means a character with those abilities would be inherently unique. That's a trait we know the dev team looks for.

It just seems they don't count remakes as relevance.

But now we have a different Grass starter from a brand new generation that has more thematic angles than Sceptile did. Wind powers on top of the nature-based ones? Archery? Leaves and feathers thrown like knives? There's an argument to be made.

Similar with Lycanroc, actually. The Rockruff line keeps getting placed on a level of importance, has an enigmatic secret it may share with the starters (which has been under scrutiny lately, but some Japanese speakers have been saying the context implies the secret is probably a shared one), and keeps showing up ingame and in promotinal material. Professor Kukui has a Rockruff companion. One of the kahunas has a Lycanroc as her signature mon. Midday Lycanroc even has a signature move! At this point, the only thing stopping Lycanroc from being branded the Gen 7 Lucario is the lack of a movie!

Now throw in the Rock type and earth-based powers it brings, which are almost nonexistent on the roster so far, and you have a compelling case for two different Gen 7 Pokémon.

I'm not really feeling Luchalitten, to be honest. We have so many physical-based fire users on the roster already that it wouldn't stand out very well. I think they'd look at other mons first. Pokkén 2, on the other hand...

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
You know what we do need though? Grapple characters.... And Wrestlers.... THIS SUNDAY NIGHT AT THE WWE SUUUUUPER SLAM.... Also, cats.

Also, fire.

Also, darkness.

:4bowser::4charizard::4feroy::4mario::4ness::4lucas::4luigi::4robinf::4megaman:
Yeah, we're good on fire
:4darkpit::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4mewtwo:
we're also good on dark edgelords.

However, we can use more monkeys and more ball-users.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Also, fire.

Also, darkness.

I love you.

But just not in that kind of way. You get what I mean.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Everyone's arguing over their wrestling tigers and archer owls, while here I am hoping that Entermaid makes her big break.

Inb4 too many water types and no seals.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If an enhanced Smash 4 port or Smash 5 is coming for the Switch...I can only really bet on Inklings, Ice Climbers, and mayyyybe Wolf being added...

Others that may be likely I can still see the possibility of them being passed on...When it comes to Rowlet3 specifically, the situation isn't really too different from Sceptile back during the DLC period...Grass starter to 'complete the trio', coming off of a new main series game, potential for a unique moveset...only difference being Rowlet3 is a new pokemon (probably works in his favour but it isn't quite as 'safe' as using an old favourite like Sceptile)...

Personally I don't see any Gen VII mon as a lock...people are looking into following patterns trying to follow Sakurai's philosophy...and yet it's actually possible that if Smash Switch is coming at or near launch, Sakurai may not even be the director, meaning a completely different set of standards for a different developer...

And once again this is assuming that we'll even get a new Smash game when the switch launches which is not a guarantee either...

I've posted this before but if we do get a Gen VII mon I can see
Rowlet3
Litten3
Lycanroc (either form could work though Midnight is more suited for a fighting game)
Silvally

The former two, being starters...starters are always amoung the more popular pokemon and are psuedo mascots for their respective generation, those two over Popplio3 since they are better suited for a fighting game...the latter two are pokemon that have had a decent amount of promotion during their reveals and announcements, Silvally especially likely playing an important role in the plot...

Mimikyu as popular as it is, I don't see as really that likely for Smash, as a Poke-ball summon yeah but not a fighter...though I wouldn't mind as it is one of my faves in this gen...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sceptile's situation was...more different than it seems. There were people on the "complete the starter trio" wagon, but past that, there was a compelling argument. Adding a Grass type to complete an arbitrary group was always a misguided idea, but the fact that there are no Grass types or anyone with those kinds of powers means a character with those abilities would be inherently unique. That's a trait we know the dev team looks for.
I never denied Robnhoot would be unique.

I'm just saying, what makes you think the devs will place Robinhoot's uniqueness over the others?

It just seems they don't count remakes as relevance.
They do.

It's why :pt: trainer was a thing back in Brawl. :squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:

But now we have a different Grass starter from a brand new generation that has more thematic angles than Sceptile did. Wind powers on top of the nature-based ones? Archery? Leaves and feathers thrown like knives? There's an argument to be made.
Again. You're missing my point. I'm not saying he wouldn't be unique.

I'm just saying, I don't think he'll make the cut. If all you're going to say is he's unique and new, I can point at a lot of other characters who fit the same bill.

Similar with Lycanroc, actually. The Rockruff line keeps getting placed on a level of importance, has an enigmatic secret it may share with the starters (which has been under scrutiny lately, but some Japanese speakers have been saying the context implies the secret is probably a shared one), and keeps showing up ingame and in promotinal material. Professor Kukui has a Rockruff companion. One of the kahunas has a Lycanroc as her signature mon. At this point, the only thing stopping Lycanroc from being branded the Gen 7 Lucario is the lack of a movie. Now throw in the Rock type and earth-based powers it brings, which are almost nonexistent on the roster so far, and you have a compelling case for two different Gen 7 Pokémon.
Again, I doubt Lycanroc has a case either.

If anything, it's Beltigre, Mimikyu or Tapu Koko.

I'm not really feeling Luchalitten, to be honest. We have so many physical-based fire users on the roster already that it wouldn't stand out very well.
Literally zero wrestlers though.

Besides, if we're just mashing character groups together, Robinhoot is just another archer character when we have several.

Granted I'm exaggerating here, but I digress.

I'm betting on the five I brought up earlier

• Inkling
  • Ice Climbers
  • Wolf
  • Ballot Newcomer
  • Third Party

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4bowser::4charizard::4feroy::4mario::4ness::4lucas::4luigi::4robinf::4megaman:
Yeah, we're good on fire
:4darkpit::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4mewtwo:
we're also good on dark edgelords.

However, we can use more monkeys and more ball-users.
I know, I was just flat out saying that it was Litten3 because I was making things obvious even though they were already obvious.
I love you.

But just not in that kind of way. You get what I mean.
Yeah, I get what you mean. :p

Everyone's arguing over their wrestling tigers and archer owls, while here I am hoping that Entermaid makes her big break.

That's another reason why I love that starter line(Though I love all three starter lines this generation has introduced.), seals are amazing. They are dog merdogs after all, right? :p Mmmmmmrrrrr, just don't look up seal clubbing unless you want to be sad for the rest of the week if not month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

A character of her body type would not work well for Smash.

Sure it's much different from a flopping Magikarp, but don't you think a seal sliding around or hitting people with her flippers would look silly in the game?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's gonna be Blastoise
Actually, I wouldn't mind this.

We would have gotten him if it wasn't for Sakurai wanting more balanced evolutionary lines for Pokémon Trainer's choices instead (hence why Squirtle would be chosen over the water canon turtle).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A character of her body type would not work well for Smash.

Sure it's much different from a flopping Magikarp, but don't you think a seal sliding around or hitting people with her flippers would look silly in the game?
It would work for a normal fighting game honestly.

It's just a game with as much mobility as Smash, it wouldn't.

D

Deleted member

People actually defending the idea of Beltigre/Panthsler over Robingroot being in Smash?

What is this madness? I thought I was the only one who was in favor of the Tiger Bomber here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom