• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Does anyone know if the Pro Controller has analog triggers?

Not that it'll affect my purchase decision but I couldn't tell from the footage.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So apparently people are now thinking that there's actually no skyrim at all and that nintendo is completely faking it and lying about it.

Uh.... Who's saying that? The partnership with Bethesda should be enough proof it's not fake. Plus, the footage of the game we got from the trailer looks pretty truthful to me.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
On the go or plugged to the TV?
I've heard it was on the go....but apparently all the hardware for the console is in the handheld, with the dock just being for TV connection, USB ports, and charging, so the performance shouldn't be that different?
Uh.... Who's saying that? The partnership with Bethesda should be enough proof it's not fake. Plus, the footage of the game we got from the trailer looks pretty truthful to me.
Someone was saying it earlier in this very thread.

I don't get it either. I can understand not wanting to get your hopes too high, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'd like to say that since Nintendo Switch is part handheld, I hope they take all the menu upgrades they gave the 3DS over it's lifetime and just have them on the Switch from the start. Folders, themes, badges.

. . .WAIT, I JUST HAD IT BROUGHT UP ONE OF THE INKLINGS IN THAT SCREENSHOT IS WEARING GLOVES, TOO.

Splat2n topping everything. Woomy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've heard it was on the go....but apparently all the hardware for the console is in the handheld, with the dock just being for TV connection, USB ports, and charging, so the performance shouldn't be that different?
I suppose its possible that activating the screen on the console takes processing power.

D

Deleted member

It's because a Bathesda spokesperson on twitter said 'they didn't announce it for the system'.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does anyone know if the Pro Controller has analog triggers?

Not that it'll affect my purchase decision but I couldn't tell from the footage.

Doesn't look like it. The shoulder buttons look comparable to those on the Wii U.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
In here we don't use letters at all, just the percentage, why is that even a thing in some countries?
Some subjects (such as languages) aren't really suited to precise numerical grades. You could knock a few percent off for spelling or grammar errors or whatever, but overall it's not really feasible to give a lengthy piece of writing a precise percent grade. So instead they just rate them with a letter, which indicates a sort of broad standard that works graded by that letter should fall under (so you can also use them to broadly compare students with the same letter grade at a glance, and see which ones are in danger of falling behind their usual standard).

There's also the argument that it gives students something to aim for. Like, if you get a C+, in theory that should motivate you to aim higher, to get a B, next time around.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And not like this matters... but...

Day 20: The Apparition (Specter Knight Battle)

This undead foe has a difficult fight... unless you can manage when he turns out the lights!

Opossum Opossum wins again. :p

Tomorrow...
To find it, take a mad composer... a loving wife... ghosts and spirits... and give it life!
It's varied, and strange, so I'm told...
Mind you these things are very old!
Gonna guess Phantom of the Opera.

Dammit Opo I knew this one too stop getting to the question before im even able to

Guessing haunted mansion theme of some kind? The one's the stone heads I suppose because I dont know any more
:061:
Definitely not Grim Grinning Ghosts. There's no indication that the shadow pianist is a composer, and Constance Hatchaway is anything BUT a loving bride...she's killed many of her husbands after their weddings. She's a serial killer.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Some subjects (such as languages) aren't really suited to precise numerical grades. You could knock a few percent off for spelling or grammar errors or whatever, but overall it's not really feasible to give a lengthy piece of writing a precise percent grade. So instead they just rate them with a letter, which indicates a sort of broad standard that works graded by that letter should fall under (so you can also use them to broadly compare students with the same letter grade at a glance, and see which ones are in danger of falling behind their usual standard).

There's also the argument that it gives students something to aim for. Like, if you get a C+, in theory that should motivate you to aim higher, to get a B, next time around.
Percentage allow you to aim for an higher one for the next time too. And I assure you you can rate languages with percentage, I have two or three copy of a huge board showing it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'll give a little mercy and say it's not either GGG or Phantom of the Opera.

Think more... artistic. Some knowledge of a certain "mad composer" may help.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's because a Bathesda spokesperson on twitter said 'they didn't announce it for the system'.
I am going to assume they didn't announce the remaster for the system itself just yet. However, maybe this is just the regular version of Skyrim in order to demonstrate the Switch's power?

Note: I think this at least means the regular version of the game is playable on the Switch and perhaps the remaster will be playable later on.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So if Smash gets ported, do you think character trailers will be CGI or done in the vein of DLC trailers?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Percentage allow you to aim for an higher one for the next time too. And I assure you you can rate languages with percentage, I have two or three copy of a huge board showing it.
I suppose it depends on how you view it. I suppose one could also say, if they got 65% or whatever, next time they'll aim for 70% or more. I liked letters better myself in that area, but to each their own.

As for languages, would you say it depends on the question, or the length of work required? Like, would you grade something like a five-page essay on percentages as well? I'm not a teacher myself, that one is mostly based on remarks from some old teachers of mine. I remember talking to my old English teacher, who said she didn't like the idea of having to grade essays by percent.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Heh. Heh. HEH.
You guys spend 16 pages talking about the Switch.
I liked the presentation, and am looking at it in a very positive light.

But considering the past things this week has given, plus the Logan trailer, and it's not the biggest thing that will happen for me this week.
AHEM AHEM

D

Deleted member

I am going to assume they didn't announce the remaster for the system itself just yet. However, maybe this is just the regular version of Skyrim in order to demonstrate the Switch's power?

Note: I think this at least means the regular version of the game is playable on the Switch and perhaps the remaster will be playable later on.
That doesn't even make much sense for a multitude of reasons.
1. The twitter account claims that they haven't announced anything, at all.
2. Why would they have a remaster and the normal version on the same console?
3. Why would they go with the normal version that's 5 years old now? The remaster is coming soon for the other two consoles anyway. It wouldn't make sense for nintendo to be THAT behind.
4. Every other source says it's the remaster of skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll give a little mercy and say it's not either GGG or Phantom of the Opera.

Think more... artistic. Some knowledge of a certain "mad composer" may help.
Moonlight Sonata?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Spoilering because it took me longer to type this than I intended (thanks sleepyness), and so it's really not relevant to where the discussion is at now, most likely.

Just wanna say that this "if you say anything remotely critical or skeptical of Nintendo, ur a hater bro" mentality that tends to float around here, is partly why I don't often show up here anymore (or on lots of internet communities to be honest, most these days are too toxic for me to derive enjoyment out of them), and I know I'm not the first person to feel like they are in that position.

I grew up on PlayStation and Game Boy, later got a PS2 and Xbox, then got a Wii and later PS3 (and played a lot of my bro's Xbox 360), and have been strictly Wii U and PC the entirety of last gen (despite having the ability to play both PS4 and Xbox One). Nintendo handhelds have been a constant thing for me though, and I also loved the PSP.

I have no loyalties to any one of the console manufacturers. I didn't care about Cloud being in Smash because "EFGHEWBUYEGF BUT HE'S A SOOOOONY CHARACTER". I would play a Mario game on an Xbox One as long as it looked like a game that appealed to me (and even if it didn't, I could still say it's a good game objectively, like 99% of Mario games are). I grew up playing Kingdom Hearts on a PS2, but just today, I was playing KH2FM emulated on my laptop with a Wii U Pro Controller because why the hell not?

I consider myself a realist. I basically only be optimistic if I am given a tangible reason to be, same with pessimism. I generally won't be one or the other by default. If a company consistently messes up, then of course, my expectations will never be high for them until they start NOT messing up. This was the case with Nintendo until today.

I have come off as negative here for the last while (when I was more actively posting anyway) because mostly all people were talking about was Nintendo stuff (which is fine, it is in the thread title after all). And frankly...what was there to be positive about for Nintendo (until now)?

Like yes, there has been Pokémon, and some of the stuff has been cool there. Though for me personally, I don't have much interest in Pokémon these days, and even when I tried to offer some constructive feedback on things that Pokémon could do to pull people like me back in, I got **** on for that because "NO HOW DARE YOU ADVOCATE CHANGING MY BELOVED SERIES THAT I GREW UP WITH IN THAT KIND OF WAY", and people would generally just focus on one specific thing I said that rubbed them the wrong way rather than looking at everything together (so ignoring any positive things I said), and brand me as a "negative nancy". So I mostly avoid talking about Pokémon at all.

But outside of Pokémon, there has been nothing for Nintendo fans to be positive about, unless Nintendo is literally your lifeblood to the point where you have to force yourself to be positive about them. There's been barely anything to look forward to. It's either been disappointment after disappointment in terms of games, Nintendo being a **** to content creators in their fanbase, or seeing Wii U games I already own getting ports for 3DS (sometimes with extra content, at a cheaper price point than the Wii U game I bought), and very little else.

Asking me to still have a positive mindset going into the NX reveal after all of that (the ridiculous rumour mill did not help), is like saying I should still be smiling after someone kicks me in the crotch and twists my nipples. Sorry, but no. Keep in mind, I also still supported Nintendo by buying amiibo, the occasional older game, and the like. I also DID acknowledge the good things. Most of you here probably hate Mario Party 10 and Mario Party: Star Rush. I was an ardent defender of both. I even was one of the few people calling out the BS meme about the "spaghetti box art" people were using to detract from Star Rush. And while Metroid Prime: Federation Force was released at COMPLETELY the wrong time, it's still a very solid title. In a year or so, the "offense" the game made on the series will be totally irrelevant.

But yes, I didn't have any hype going into this reveal, and there were a lot of reasons for that. But I came out smiling, which is more important. While I have my concerns and it's not day one purchase for me yet, I still have an overall positive impression of it. Like I said before, I am cautiously optimistic.

I just ask that people drop this desperately positive attitude. It's gotten to a point where I genuinely believe some people have to REALLY force themselves to be positive because it is unfathomable to them that Nintendo could do something wrong. It comes off as desperate, like you're trying to make up things to be positive about, sometimes. It's not much relevance to me now since I only pop up sometimes now and am ultimately pretty detached from the site, but I'd hate for other people to be put into my position.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
That doesn't even make much sense for a multitude of reasons.
1. The twitter account claims that they haven't, at all.
2. Why would they have a remaster and the normal version on the same console?
3. Why would they go with the normal version that's 5 years old now? The remaster is coming soon for the other two consoles anyway. It wouldn't make sense for nintendo to be THAT behind.
4. Every other source says it's the remaster of skyrim.
Something tells me I should think about the logic behind what I am saying sometimes. My bad. :p

You do make a point; a 5 year old regular version of a game isn't going to sell to consumers. That's why remasters exist; to bring back nostalgic memories in HD and maybe add in some features to improve or expand the game. I was just not thinking clearly at that moment in time. But the question remains; was it a teaser at the possibility of the remaster coming to the Switch, or a test to see if it would work and if it passed, Bethesda would approve it being on the Switch?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Something tells me I should of thought about the logic behind what I am saying sometimes. My bad. :p

You do make a point; a 5 year old regular version of a game isn't going to sell to consumers. That's why remasters exist; to bring back nostalgic memories and maybe add in some features to improve or expand the game. I was just not thinking at that moment in time. But the question remains; was it a teaser at the possibility of the remaster coming to the Switch, or a test to see if it would work and if it passed, Bethesda would approve it being on the Switch?
They are making it for the Switch though. :p It's confusing, but when they say announcement, they mean they haven't officially announced it yet, however, that doesn't equate it to not being developed.

Heck, most of the games in the trailer haven't been 'announced', that's what they mean. They haven't announced the new mario game or the basket ball game, for an example.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Something tells me I should think about the logic behind what I am saying sometimes. My bad. :p

You do make a point; a 5 year old regular version of a game isn't going to sell to consumers. That's why remasters exist; to bring back nostalgic memories and maybe add in some features to improve or expand the game. I was just not thinking at that moment in time. But the question remains; was it a teaser at the possibility of the remaster coming to the Switch, or a test to see if it would work and if it passed, Bethesda would approve it being on the Switch?
Or maybe, and bare with me I know this is probably a stretch, Skyrim is just on the Switch cause it's shown on reveal video. Crazy, I know. But it's just a hunch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Spoilering because it took me longer to type this than I intended (thanks sleepyness), and so it's really not relevant to where the discussion is at now, most likely.

Just wanna say that this "if you say anything remotely critical or skeptical of Nintendo, ur a hater bro" mentality that tends to float around here, is partly why I don't often show up here anymore (or on lots of internet communities to be honest, most these days are too toxic for me to derive enjoyment out of them), and I know I'm not the first person to feel like they are in that position.

I grew up on PlayStation and Game Boy, later got a PS2 and Xbox, then got a Wii and later PS3 (and played a lot of my bro's Xbox 360), and have been strictly Wii U and PC the entirety of last gen (despite having the ability to play both PS4 and Xbox One). Nintendo handhelds have been a constant thing for me though, and I also loved the PSP.

I have no loyalties to any one of the console manufacturers. I didn't care about Cloud being in Smash because "EFGHEWBUYEGF BUT HE'S A SOOOOONY CHARACTER". I would play a Mario game on an Xbox One as long as it looked like a game that appealed to me (and even if it didn't, I could still say it's a good game objectively, like 99% of Mario games are). I grew up playing Kingdom Hearts on a PS2, but just today, I was playing KH2FM emulated on my laptop with a Wii U Pro Controller because why the hell not?

I consider myself a realist. I basically only be optimistic if I am given a tangible reason to be, same with pessimism. I generally won't be one or the other by default. If a company consistently messes up, then of course, my expectations will never be high for them until they start NOT messing up. This was the case with Nintendo until today.

I have come off as negative here for the last while (when I was more actively posting anyway) because mostly all people were talking about was Nintendo stuff (which is fine, it is in the thread title after all). And frankly...what has there to be positive about for Nintendo (until now)?

Like yes, there has been Pokémon, and some of the stuff has been cool there. Though for me personally, I don't have much interest in Pokémon these days, and even when I tried to offer some constructive feedback on things that Pokémon could do to pull people like me back in, I got **** on for that because "NO HOW DARE YOU ADVOCATE CHANGING MY BELOVED SERIES THAT I GREW UP WITH IN THAT KIND OF WAY", and people would generally just focus on one specific thing I said that rubbed them the wrong way rather than looking at everything together (so ignoring any positive things I said), and brand me as a "negative nancy". So I mostly avoid talking about Pokémon at all.

But outside of Pokémon, there has been nothing for Nintendo fans to be positive about, unless Nintendo is literally your lifeblood to the point where you have to force yourself to be positive about them. There's been barely anything to look forward to. It's either been disappointment after disappointment in terms of games, Nintendo being a **** to content creators in their fanbase, or seeing Wii U games I already own getting ports for 3DS (sometimes with extra content, at a cheaper price point than the Wii U game I bought), and very little else.

Asking me to still have a positive mindset going into the NX reveal after all of that (the ridiculous rumour mill did not help), is like saying I should still be smiling after someone kicks me in the crotch and twists my nipples. Sorry, but no. Keep in mind, I also still supported Nintendo by buying amiibo, the occasional older game, and the like. I also DID acknowledge the good things. Most of you here probably hate Mario Party 10 and Mario Party: Star Rush. I was an ardent defender of both. I even was one of the few people calling out the BS meme about the "spaghetti box art" people were using to detract from Star Rush. And while Metroid Prime: Federation Force was released at COMPLETELY the wrong time, it's still a very solid title. In a year or so, the "offense" the game made on the series will be totally irrelevant.

But yes, I didn't have any hype going into this reveal, and there were a lot of reasons for that. But I came out smiling, which is more important. While I have my concerns and it's not day one purchase for me yet, I still have an overall positive impression of it. Like I said before, I am cautiously optimistic.

I just ask that people drop this desperately positive attitude. It's gotten to a point where I genuinely believe some people have to REALLY force themselves to be positive because it is unfathomable to them that Nintendo could do something wrong. It comes off as desperate, like you're trying to make up things to be positive about, sometimes. It's not much relevance to me now since I only pop up sometimes now and am ultimately pretty detached from the site, but I'd hate for other people to be put into my position.
Well said.

To change things up a bit, here's a question. What kinds of amiibo features does everyone think Super Mario Switch might get?

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I suppose it depends on how you view it. I suppose one could also say, if they got 65% or whatever, next time they'll aim for 70% or more. I liked letters better myself in that area, but to each their own.

As for languages, would you say it depends on the question, or the length of work required? Like, would you grade something like a five-page essay on percentages as well? I'm not a teacher myself, that one is mostly based on remarks from some old teachers of mine. I remember talking to my old English teacher, who said she didn't like the idea of having to grade essays by percent.
Well I grew with percent, and everyone just naturally think like that. I guess both can do right if you have grown with it. Switching it mid-way is probably bad thought.

As for languages, it's more depending on the question... I think? I'm not completely sure what you mean by that, but I'm sure length doesn't matter.

Each part is worth a percent of the final note (for exemple, the content might be worth 40% and the grammar, orthograph, etc. worth 60%) Both are evalueted with their own criterias and than you mixed the too. No matter how long the work is, the point accorded to grammar don't really changes : if 10 grammar mistakes are worth 5% on a 1000 word essay, than 3 grammar mistakes one a 300 word essay would be worth 5% too. Basically, the longer your text, the less grammar and orthographe mistakes will effect your overall grade. The content, however, is always evaluated depending on what you wrote and the coherence of your text, not length.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Well said.

To change things up a bit, here's a question. What kinds of amiibo features does everyone think Super Mario Switch might get?
Here some possibilities:
Overworld costumization
New power-ups and/or stored one (like in 3d world)
New levels

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well said.

Obvious answer is giving us other playable characters.

More probable answer, is that Mario gets abilities/physics to reflect the character scanned. Luigi makes him jump higher but he gets low friction, Peach gives him a float ability, Rosalina makes him run slower (like Mario did in Galaxy) but he gets the Spin Attack. Those ones are obvious since we have 3D World to reference, but the other characters have interesting potential too. Yoshi for example, could serve as a once a day "summon a ride-able Yoshi" thing. Wario could give Mario the Shoulder Bash. And so on and so forth.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Thought my internet connection went out. Turns out the culprit was me accidentally shutting off my router while I was doing something else.

It took me nearly an hour to figure this out.

Whoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom