• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Got into it with a friend about Alolan Meowth vs Meowth. Ended with a bit of hilarity. I got wrecked. ∆ is me, Π is my friend.
*in the middle of argument*
∆: "Alolan Meowth IS better for the sole reason for having a STAB that can deal super effective damage. Not to mention it gets Sucker Punch."
Π: "Yeah, while you got your STAB, regular Meowth has DAB."
∆: "What?"
Π:
2016-10-20_08-35-02.jpg

Π: "STAB this, *****."

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Got into it with a friend about Alolan Meowth vs Meowth. Ended with a bit of hilarity. I got wrecked. ∆ is me, Π is my friend.
*in the middle of argument*
∆: "Alolan Meowth IS better for the sole reason for having a STAB that can deal super effective damage. Not to mention it gets Sucker Punch."
Π: "Yeah, while you got your STAB, regular Meowth has DAB."
∆: "What?"
Π:
View attachment 119424
Π: "STAB this, *****."
I've read funnier stuff than this.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Anyway. . .it's not as though I don't have my concerns. In particular, I really hope that tentacle styles aren't tied to stats in Splat2n. Ideally I wish they would either offer cosmetic clothing slots ala XCX/Terraria/Starbound/etc. or just detach clothes from the stat system altogether, but at the very least I'd like my tentacle style to not be tied to that.

But I'm happy to know it's there, at least, because that means there's more customization and more content in Splat2n that isn't just the sort of thing gotten in updates with the original.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I know this has been common knowledge for months now, but just reminding everyone

Games like Fire Emblem and pokemon are now going to be on console

Games like Pikmin and Xenoblade are going to be played on the go.

Gonna be one hell of a gen I can tell you that.
:061:
Fire Emblem and Pokemon are one thing. Xenoblade already had one handheld release though and there is a Pikmin coming out for 3DS, isn't there?
Now, on the other hand, Elder Scrolls and Dark Souls played on the Go, yeah. That will be one heck of a Gen.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Some asshole said he was being discriminated against because we wouldn't send his money to someone in Kenya he's never met. Talking about how he was being profiled because of Nigerian scams

1) Kenya is not Nigeria
2) Kenya is not a country on our list of potential scam locations
3) Not that it matters, but he was white - talking about being discriminated against.
4) He didn't know the person.

He tried talking about his various degrees and saying we were wrong and he has the right to get scammed, regardless if it was a scam, if he wanted to because he's a grown adult.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Got tagged 3 times and my heart skipped thinking a new AW game got leaked for the Switch. Meh. Still hoping for one at launch though.

Thread's been really active. Left here on page 1025 and when I came back from College we're at 1036. As for when the Direct for the Switch will happen I initially thought January but then I thought since the hype for Switch is crazy Nintendo shouldn't wait no longer past November to reveal everything about the console. More so it's price point which needs to be disclosed for consumers to know well in advance.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'd only expect a full Pokemon game to come to switch if Nintendo phases out the 3DS.

That said, can't really see why they'd keep the 3DS going if the switch is also portable aside from 3DS being cheaper to develop for. But there's nothing really stopping a developer from making 3DS sized games on the Switch.

D

Deleted member

At first I was wondering why you were posting this, because at the time of reading your posts the most positive regard to the Switch were "It looks cool, I what games it'll have" type posts. But looking back in your posting history, I see what you're talking about now.

I myself am not really that big of a nintendo fan to the majority of people here, I spend most of my time on other consoles. Still, my regards were mostly about people coming to dumb conspiracy theories anyway. I.E. They lied about skyrim being on the console. There's a difference between those conspiracy theories, along with baseless conclusions like what exactly the specs are even though we have no clue, and actual criticism.

That's no reason for people to be hopeless and cynical though. Most people I saw here had reasonable expectations, if you have a gut feeling that doesn't contradict what's already been set so far, then go by that. But there's no reason why others shouldn't go by there's too. Right now there's no clear direction that the switcher will go in terms of success. Though reception for it has been better than it has been for the Wii U's announcement when it comes to non nintendo fan's thoughts on it. When the most common critisism is not even the system itself, but the wii u, I don't know, that just says to me perhaps it's not the Wii U and will have a different run than it did. Just like how the Wii U had a different run than the Wii, and the Wii had a different run than the GC, and the GC had a different run than the N64. etc.
Actually, it's fairly easy to make a reasonable and logical analysis of how the Switch will perform given the information we've been shown, combined with a simply look at the current trends in the market/industry.

I honestly doubt it's gonna do well with how the PS4 is performing. For starters, if it's Tegra (which it most likely is, considering Nvidya already confirmed it's their chipset), at best it'll be 85% as powerful as the PS4 WHEN DOCKED, and it won't even come close to the Neo and the Scorpio, whom both Sony and Microsoft felt were NECESSARY upgrades, due to demand from devs (as well as the advent of VR). So on that front the Switch is already underwhelming. It showed off Skyrim (seemingly remaster), and people are hyping this up like it matters because they believe that normies wanna play Skyrim on the go.

Except there are two problems with this. 1) Skyrim is NOT a game suitable for on the go play. It is a game you sit down, and play for long sessions, getting involved in every minute detail of you environment. So the people who think this is a good idea, will at best try it once, and then realize that it's not all that, and then drop it. 2) The idiots WANTING to buy a remaster of a game that already runs better on PC with EMD mods, are gonna get it on the most powerful machine that will make it look the prettiest, ergo, the Neo. With which, the Switch certainly cannot compete.

Secondly, the market right now is almost entirely owned by the PS4. Everyone has one of those, and even Microsoft is struggling to compete with Sony. How on EARTH is Nintendo gonna draw attention from that crowd? The biggest games out right now are Overwatch, Street Fighter V, and to a smaller degree FFXV (which we'll see on FF, as it might flop critically). If the Switch doesn't get any of those, it's not gonna do well. Especially it comes out in 5 months, and Overwatch will certainly still be relevant then. However, there's a catch here. Most gamers are already playing OW on PC, and wouldn't ever bother to play it on console. Meanwhile, most casuals and normies are playing it where most of their friends are playing it, as OW, to them, is a social experience. In other words, they're playing it on the PS4. So even IF OW came to Switch, I doubt it would help much, as most people will already have it on PS4, and if they upgrade to Neo, they can play the same version of the game there, and they won't really bother to shell out $300/$400 one a Nintendo console, with not many other games to play, and no friends to play it with. So here comes our loop. The PS4 ALREADY has a strong install base, and casual gamers will get the games their friends are playing on the consoles their friends have, in order to play with them.

So, Nintendo won't be able to compete with most core gamers again, at least no directly.

So, casual nongamers. The crowd the Wii drew in. Well, LOOK at the Switch, look at how clunky and bulky that thing is. Unless it comes with enough special features to compete with most smartphones on the market, it won't do well. In addition, designwise, it's nowhere near as sleek as most smarphones today. Setting up a tablet on a table, and pulling out two mini controllers is "too much" for your average person. Not to mention, most high end smarthphones ALREADY out already outperform it, and we have much more coming out soon. South Korea is already developing 11k resolution... for MOBILES.

Furthermore, we have the battery life, and this will be the biggest drawback here, as well as what determines the overall cost of this thing. If it's a powerful Tegra X2, or a variant of it, don't expect much in terms of battery life, UNLESS it comes with expensive batteries, which I doubt, as it would drive the price up well over the $700 price range. Meaning, with your average battery, you're looking at 2-3h of gaming time, AT BEST. Since that's what most mobiles can handle with much smaller and less intense games. No doubt, the design of the device, as well as the battery, will be the deciding factor for most casuals. Most would just rather play Candy Crush on their $700 phones, they don't care for ACTUAL gaming. And most gamers are Savvy enough to know that your average Android capable phone is able to emulate everything from the PS2, back. So they sure as hell wouldn't bother on a new Nintendo device that has a questionable future in terms of library (unless it got hacked, but that's a different story).

Which brings me to my next point. The games:

So, in the trailer, the 1st party titles we saw were:
Another Mario platformer
ANOTHER Mario Kart
What's presumably a port of Splatoon, or at best an exclusive sequel
A port of a WiiU Zelda title

And that's really it. People are hyped for Pokemon on console, and Monster Hunter on console. But for one, the latter already exists on WiiU, and it didn't make a difference for it. And second this is a very similar situation to the WiiU. This is NOT how you launch a console mid generation. No one is gonna pay any mind to the Switch if it's got NO exclusive killer apps right off the bat. And I don't mean just one or two, but EVERYTHING. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, DK, FZero, Kirby, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, new IP. IT ALL needs to come out within the first year to have any relevance among gamers. Without that, no one is gonna buy it, which means most 3rd party devs will bail on it after they keep their one game promise, and it'll fade into obscurity. And Nintendo can't continue to churn out casualized forms of their mature IP. On the contrary, it needs to let gamers know that it has games for them too, as well as get its slice of all the multiplat games that everyone loves, and after that.... You have a Gamecube situation at best. With Nintendo running 3rd leg and getting the worst version of the games everyone else is playing on the Playstation. But hey, it's better than a total flop I guess.

So at the end of it all, when you look at the market, and the industry, you really have to ask yourself, now that the Switch has been revealed. WHO? exactly is this machine meant to appeal to? It refuses to compete directly with Sony, it dropped mid gen and doesn't have a very strong launch considering the leaks, and it's too clumsy for the nongamers who already have smartphones. It also won't do VR.

I'll personally be very surprised to see this console be a sweeping success. My pessimism isn't pessimism, it's me saying what I said when Iwata namedropped this thing two years ago. Killing the WiiU early and releasing a console mid-gen when the PS4 ALREADY has a very large established userbase is a very stupid move. Not to mention Sony already one upped Nintendo by releasing the Neo, just before Christmas too.

I honestly DO think Nintendo should just become a 3rd party software developer at this point, rather than continuing to build underpowered consoles. Because they only thing that matters about them at this point is their games, and even those are suffering in their attempts to appeal to a broader audience.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Now that Alolan Persian is officially revealed, more or less...

I can without spoilers say how ugly it is... seriously

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Some ******* said he was being discriminated against because we wouldn't send his money to someone in Kenya he's never met. Talking about how he was being profiled because of Nigerian scams

1) Kenya is not Nigeria
3) Not that it matters, but he was white - talking about being discriminated against.

He tried talking about his various degrees and saying we were wrong and he has the right to get scammed, regardless if it was a scam, if he wanted to because he's a grown adult.
I think you've been blessed with those roles in life where the best stories come from.

D

Deleted member

Fortunately I'm the exception to this as I'm only letting myself be hyped up for what I actually know exists.

I don't care about most third parties. The main one that I do care about the current output of has confirmed one of their two in-progress titles to be on the NX anyway, which I have very little expectations on other than potentially the gameplay style and will wait to see how it turns out. The only one on that list that implies a game I'm interested in that might pull out is a third party game I already own on another system. I have BotW with highly interesting freedom of movement and physics and a Splatoon game with extra customization. I have an Animal Crossing Direct that I'm curious about in case it leads to something, but I'm not going to insist that it definitely means I'm getting another game I want especially since I have two now that I like already.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with what I know of the system so far and it can very likely only go uphill from here. Whether it's mind-blowing uphill or just a slight upwards slope remains to be seen, but just what little I've seen so far is far better than launch year 3DS and Wii U combined.

Should we assume this thing is going to make all our dreams come true? No, that just leads to bitterness later. But what we have already, not names on a board but actual Nintendo footage and confirmed third party titles, is enough to at the very least look forward to.

Sometimes I wish folks were a little better at squeeing at the little things. It makes it harder to get hyped when the only way for people to be happy is to move goalposts until their needs can no longer be met to a satisfactory degree.
How good the console will be, will depend on its library. Its library, will depend on how successful the console is. That's the main point I'm trying to make. I don't see this console being a commercial success.

D

Deleted member

Some ******* said he was being discriminated against because we wouldn't send his money to someone in Kenya he's never met. Talking about how he was being profiled because of Nigerian scams

1) Kenya is not Nigeria

Why do these people even try to send the money? How do these things work? Do they get a message saying "hey, I never met you but can you send me $10000? I live in Kenya btw"
Like, why? Why are people this dumb?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I have an Animal Crossing Direct that I'm curious about in case it leads to something, but I'm not going to insist that it definitely means I'm getting another game I want especially since I have two now that I like already.
Im sure they are gonna talk about the New Leaf Update but Im not sure they will say they have anything for switch

but if they do, Im getting a switch

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Why do these people even try to send the money? How do these things work? Do they get a message saying "hey, I never met you but can you send me $10000? I live in Kenya btw"
Like, why? Why are people this dumb?
Hey, I'm talking to you for the first time ever
and this is crazy
but you seem pretty dumb
so fall for my scam maybe.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
At first I didn't liked him, but then I realized he hated mondays and loved lasagna.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Arbitrary question and hardly anything to base this on but how well do you guys think the Switch will do relative to both the Wii and the Wii U respectively?

Like how many units do you think it'll move? My wild guess is that it does 40 million units by the time it gets fizzled out. Within it's first year I see it doing like 15-20 million units.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Good news everyone! I've decided I'm done with Fallout Shelter, so I deleted it and now I can download a new game if I want to on my phone. Any suggestions?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree and understand why you feel this way but a new Nintendo Console just got announced. There's a lot of things that I have a problem with the Switch but I'm not going to say it right now because it was just revealed. There's plenty of time to ***** about everything I want to ***** about. Right now though I feel it's time to be hype. It's a good oasis in a sea of disappointments.

Remember how you felt with Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017? That's how most people feel about the Switch right now. It'll definitely get more pessimistic as we go forward. Now I feel it's the best time for optimism.
I am fairly optimistic though, doesn't mean I can't still be realistic.

It'd be easier to go full on hype mode if we had more info but we still don't know that much. Going on a witch hunt for people who have concerns and are willing to express them is awfully barbaric no matter what way you slice this, anyway, and that's exactly what was happening.

Also FYI, when I was hyped for Sonic announcments, I was still readily expressing my concerns/criticisms even then, as were others. I just didn't have as many.

D

Deleted member

Arbitrary question and hardly anything to base this on but how well do you guys think the Switch will do relative to both the Wii and the Wii U respectively?

Like how many units do you think it'll move? My wild guess is that it does 40 million units by the time it gets fizzled out. Within it's first year I see it doing like 15-20 million units.
I'm not sure about the sales numbers or how much it'll sell compared to the Wii U, but I don't see it selling anywhere near as much as the original Wii.

D

Deleted member

I never claimed that it'd do better than the PS4, or even close to as good as it. Mine point was it could do well enough to survive and prove enough to be it's own unique console. Just because people like it doesn't mean that they think "Itz gonna b da bez console evah outselling everything".

As for all the games you mentioned, who says they won't? No one said that they JUST want pokemon and MH, that's just two games people happen to be excited for, but perhaps that went over your head. Also when people say a console MH, they don't mean a portable MH ported to console. :p (Though I do missing playing it on my TV regardless.) I can't believe it's gotten to the point where saying "It'd be cool to have this game on this console" is overly optimistic.

Honestly, I don't even care if this ends up being Nintendo's last console, what actually concern me whether or not it's fun. The PS4 is no doubt successful for an example, but it'd be collecting dust without SF5 or before I got that, overwatch. Before I got either of those it was collecting dust for a year. For me Personal enjoyment>However the console does in the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
How good the console will be, will depend on its library. Its library, will depend on how successful the console is. That's the main point I'm trying to make. I don't see this console being a commercial success.
Those four games are from four of the highest selling video game franchises they have. This is already blowing last generation out of the water both in general and in the "killer app" factor.

Marketing is a factor. The Xbox One suffered from initially being set up in a way that seemed to violate privacy while the Wii U suffered from. . .everything, and the PS4 was the only one to not have a huge gaffe. The Switch doesn't seem to have had any slip-ups so far and has circulated quite well across the internet with just shy of 4 million views and over 250k likes on Youtube. It is currently the #1 on trending there. It held the #1 worldwide trending on Twitter for three hours. Maybe that's not the "greater market," but clearly someone's interested and that's a start.

I don't think it needs quite as many "killer apps" as you say because I don't think everything you listed as such qualifies. Pikmin strikes me as borderline and F-Zero definitely doesn't qualify as a "killer app." A treat for a couple hundred thousand gamers nostalgic for the SNES and Gamecube, but definitely not something the greater public even remotely cares about. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus sold better than it tends to and no one calls them killer apps. Some of the others are either rumored already or would basically cannibalize each other or be cannibalized by Mario. It needs something else to round it out, to be sure, but they haven't played their full hand yet so it's a bit early to condemn them for being "not good enough."

There's a lot of people who don't break down the physical numbers and specs of a system when out shopping. They just look at the games and decide which one looks the best regardless of whether it actually is. Nintendo is pretty good about polishing their games up to appeal to that group.

Maybe I don't have a properly thought out response to your condemnation, but I have a gut feeling as though the factors you're listing aren't all there is to the success or failure of a system and I'm simply too unskilled to realize what I have a funny feeling is missing.

It's just. . .something feels odd. There seems to be actual hype from most people around something Nintendo related for the first time in a couple of years, and the judgement is less common than usual.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Man if I could draw I'd be able to make all of my OCs and the characters from their perspective worlds!

D

Deleted member

Man if I could draw I'd be able to make all of my OCs and the characters from their perspective worlds!
I feel ya, in my case I have so many ideas, no talent for drawing whatsoever. :p I'm jealous of people with even the most basic level of drawing, where you can actual draw something such as an OC, all I can draw is stick figures.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I feel ya, in my case I have so many ideas, no talent for drawing whatsoever. :p I'm jealous of people with even the most basic level of drawing, where you can actual draw something such as an OC, all I can draw is stick figures.
I can draw, poorly mind you, but like I fumble through proportions. Drawing women... now forget that. Worse cause my 2 main OCs are both female.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Good news everyone! I've decided I'm done with Fallout Shelter, so I deleted it and now I can download a new game if I want to on my phone. Any suggestions?
Not sure you will like games I played but two are aimed at girls, one called Mystic Messenger
another is a katmari cookie clicker called Tap my Katamari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom