• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Real talk: I love 4Kids, namely due to their voice actors for the Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, TMNT2003, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, and more.

I didn't care for their odd choices of censorship, though. Some was justified for being in America on a early morning cartoon block where they didn't have much choice, but there was some real questionable choices like their censorship of even english words on this magazine or something in Sonic X? So weird.

Either way, I like their dubs and even if some of the censorship is a bit weird, the voice actor choices and music overall win me over.

D

Deleted member

In my country, Vegeta's voice actor also dubbed Brock
And some random anime characters no one cares about or remembers

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Real talk: I love 4Kids, namely due to their voice actors for the Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, TMNT2003, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, and more.

I didn't care for their odd choices of censorship, though. Some was justified for being in America on a early morning cartoon block where they didn't have much choice, but there was some real questionable choices like their censorship of even english words on this magazine or something in Sonic X? So weird.

Either way, I like their dubs and even if some of the censorship is a bit weird, the voice actor choices and music overall win me over.
4Kids never should have attempted One Piece. That is all.

D

Deleted member

Why would Nintendo create such an image even when they know it can't even... be done, in the first place?
Preventing accidents is the first and most important form of safety

D

Deleted member

4Kids never should have attempted One Piece. That is all.
I don't agree with their One Piece dub (although I love the opening theme), but thinking of it from their angle, there was money involved in having One Piece westernized, it's just it appearing on a Saturday morning cartoon block wasn't the answer. I'm also sure it didn't matter to kids as much as it does to us all the changes it had.

Years later, though, we have the fantastic Funimation One Piece dub.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Silver_1357

I don't agree with their One Piece dub (although I love the opening theme), but thinking of it from their angle, there was money involved in having One Piece westernized, it's just it appearing on a Saturday morning cartoon block wasn't the answer. I'm also sure it didn't matter to kids as much as it does to us all the changes it had.

Years later, though, we have the fantastic Funimation One Piece dub.
And what about that other show?

Like uh.....Mew Mew Power?...

I think that's what it's called.

Chrono.

Fun Fact: 4Kids almost got the rights to Naruto years ago, but they thought it'd never catch on so they didn't pick it up.

>Not Maya

For the love of **** guys, seriously.
It's just the initial scan, the fact that spirit mediums seem to be involved again really makes me think she's likely to re-appear.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I completely forgot Mew Mew Power was even a thing

As far as 4kids goes, I enjoyed their Pokemon, YuGiOh, Kirby dubs. TMNT from little of what I saw was pretty cool too.

I was kind of iffy on the Sonic X dub for some reason. Although I've grown to appreciate the VAs over the years, especially Eggman.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Fun Fact: 4Kids almost got the rights to Naruto years ago, but they thought it'd never catch on so they didn't pick it up.

It's just the initial scan, the fact that spirit mediums seem to be involved again really makes me think she's likely to re-appear.
Fair point. I just miss her like crazy. Yeah, she was in vs Professor Layton, but I want to see her interact with Trucy and Apollo and Athena and the like. Especially since she's older now.

S

Silver_1357

I completely forgot Mew Mew Power was even a thing

As far as 4kids goes, I enjoyed their Pokemon, YuGiOh, Kirby dubs. TMNT from little of what I saw was pretty cool too.

I was kind of iffy on the Sonic X dub for some reason. Although I've grown to appreciate the VAs over the years, especially Eggman.
And F-Zero GP Legend.

Nobody knows what that is. Almost.

Also, Pokemon was the only decent dub they did.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, I really want to see older Maya. She's easily one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

That guy who voiced Splinter in the 2K3 TMNT show has got to be among the worst voice actors I've ever heard.

D

Deleted member

I loved their Sonic X dub, personally. Only complaints I have with Sonic X is that Chris in that show.

That guy who voiced Splinter in the 2K3 TMNT show has got to be among the worst voice actors I've ever heard.
What was the issue? He sounded fine to me and I've watched the entire series.

Naoshi

Looks like everyone agrees that Anna is best waifu. Good. I've yet to play anything of Ace Attourney outside the Dual Destinies demo, but I really, REALLY want to play the games
The AA games were on sale on eshop a few days ago. I think the sale just ended though.

Chrono.

The Sonic 4Kids VAs were iffy at first but most got better with time.

Especially Jason Griffith, compare his work in Shadow the Hedgehog with Unleashed and you'll see there's a big improvement.

Naoshi

Especially Jason Griffith, compare his work in Shadow the Hedgehog with Unleashed and you'll see there's a big improvement.
It's really a shame he stopped VAing for Sonic right when he nailed Sonic perfectly

The new VA ain't bad, he grew on me, but he isn't as good.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

It's really a shame he stopped VAing for Sonic right when he nailed Sonic perfectly

The new VA ain't bad, he grew on me, but he isn't as good.
This. I still like Ryan Drummand for those people that prefer that Sonic's voice, but Jason Griffith in Unleash and Brawl was perfect for me, and how I wish he was still Modern Sonic's voice actor. Roger isn't bad, Generations was his better attempt, but I rather have Jason if I could.

Last edited:
S

Silver_1357

Speaking of 4kids.
Sometimes, I wonder why anime and localization was even made in this universe.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of 4kids.

Once again, this is for kids. Not saying anyone has to like it cause even I don't, but this is a saturday morning cartoon block. Other countries have this as well with VAs and shows, even Japan if I recall.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Meh, I now mostly watch anime in Japanese with subs. I have watched some English dubs, though.

When I was a kid, I watched anime on TV usually dubbed in Portuguese, though some were actually Spanish or English dubs (with Portuguese subs, of course).

Nowadays, there are some TV channels that air anime in Japanese while others air Portuguese dubs depending on the target audience. Shows for younger audiences are dubbed while shows for audiences old enough to read are subbed, which is pretty much the standard for dubs and subs here.

I've got nothing against dubs, but I really dislike censorship. I also don't like live-action dubs. I feel that dubs only work well with animation (as in, you don't see the actors portraying the characters).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So is there anything going on or are we just cycling through random topics?

MainJPW

M.T.A
This. I still like Ryan Drummand for those people that prefer that Sonic's voice, but Jason Griffith in Unleash and Brawl was perfect for me, and how I wish he was still Modern Sonic's voice actor. Roger isn't bad, Generations was his better attempt, but I rather have Jason if I could.
I like Drummand and I'm okay with Griffith and Roger but I can't help but prefer Junichi Kanemaru and the rest of the Japanese cast instead.
I'm the odd one I guess.

D

Deleted member

I watch subs mainly now because the shows I watch are only subbed, but I do mainly prefer dub. In Japan in anime, everyone sounds like they are Japanese, even when they aren't. With English dubs, they give characters from different areas of the world an accent if it fits that region which helps makes me feel not everyone is just one nationality like Japanese voice work does for shows.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Drummand and RCSmith are both Miles better than Griffith imo

mfw someone says Anna isn't as good as Tharja
what the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little *****? I'll have you knowI graduated top of my class in the Israeli School of Economics and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Wallstreet and I have over 300 Bitcoins. I am trained in gorilla marketing and I'm the top Ebay bidding sniper in the entire world. You are nothing to me but another target. I will wipe your wallet the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me? Think again, ******. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Annas across Ylisse and your credit card number is being stolen right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your savings, you're ****ing broke kid. I can be anywhere, anytime and I can bankrupt you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in commodities trading, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Isreali Department of Finance and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable bank account off the face off the continent you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue, but you didn't, and now you're paying the price you goddamn idiot. I will **** expenses all over you and you will drown in them. You're ****ing destitute, kiddo.

S

Silver_1357

Once again, this is for kids. Not saying anyone has to like it cause even I don't, but this is a saturday morning cartoon block. Other countries have this as well with VAs and shows, even Japan if I recall.
Aight. I can take your opinion seriously.

But you're right about the Saturday morning cartoons thing.
I like Drummand and I'm okay with Griffith and Roger but I can't help but prefer Junichi Kanemaru and the rest of the Japanese cast instead.
I'm the odd one I guess.
"HALLO EVERYBADAYY!" - Japanese Sonic while trying out Engrish.

Naoshi

I actually prefer Ryan Drummond over any other Sonic VA, but Jason got really really close near the end though.

Griffith's Sonic was just frustrating to listen to for me

I really don't understand. Is the handheld dead?
I assume she meant her 3DS is dead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I love Ryan the most and I also really love Jason Griffith, any other voice actors I don't really care for.

For Classic Sonic, I'm all for Steve Urkel.

D

Deleted member

Mfw you never played AA besides the 3DS demo
Mfw friend has the DS trilogy
Mfw he is doing interchange and took the game with him
Mfw he only comes back next year
Mfw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom