• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Wasn't the leak with Laura the Siliconera one? If not, which one is it?
Also, isn't Balrog already a brazilian boxer? :p
Nope.

Ken Bogard was the one who mentioned 3 of the newcomers by name. (people disregarded him as a fake when Necalli showed up lol)

Siliconera just said Karin, Mika, Alex and Urien were in and nothing more or less. They were pretty vague.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
don't trust this.... It's October 1st and he conviently uploads a video about ghosts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some Halloween thing. @Con0rrrr would know the truth possibly.
I've never seen Etika as a very good actor, and those are definitely tears. I'm not about to retract sympathy unless I have something more concrete than that.

D

Deleted member

Good FE anime, Xenoblade anime and a Smash anime would be cool
I would say we already have a FE anime with #FE but then you said 'good' :dazwa:
Nope.

Ken Bogard was the one who mentioned 3 of the newcomers by name. (people disregarded him as a fake when Necalli showed up lol)

Siliconera just said Karin, Mika, Alex and Urien were in and nothing more or less. They were pretty vague.
What was the other newcomer?
There's Not!Kars, Not!Whammu, possibly Not!Balrog
I love how Balrog can be both a boxer and a lunch box at the same time tho

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've never seen Etika as a very good actor, and those are definitely tears. I'm not about to retract sympathy unless I have something more concrete than that.
I've been through enough to the point I simply lack sympathy. Besides, who the hell believes in ghosts? Not to mention they're just trying to collect 15 toys to bring themselves back to life

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Holy ****, Etika sure isn't my favorite person in the world but... Poor guy. He is legit spooked, I feel genuinely bad for him.

Of course his comment section is wonderful as always. -_-
Can't watch videos now. What happened?

Chrono.

I would say we already have a FE anime with #FE but then you said 'good' :dazwa:

What was the other newcomer?
There's Not!Kars, Not!Whammu, possibly Not!Balrog
I love how Balrog can be both a boxer and a lunch box at the same time tho
Some guy called Zen, supposedly from India.

Here's the whole thing he leaked

As it turns out, the newcomer he didn't know about was Necalli and it was the first one revealed, to his misfortune.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Not to mention he's great at acting so he'd naturally be able to get a worried look on his face
I'd say he's a good actor as Con0rrr says that he knows friends who know him in real life and they've talked. He says that he acts the way he does because he knows it's what his fans want. So I wouldn't give sympathy myself yet. I'm not saying you should give it up either, just be cautious. I believe in ghosts, but I don't believe this atm.

Chrono.

I wanna note how Rashid was apparently from Africa but he actually turned out to be from the Middle East.

It's not a stretch to think Zen and Laura might not even be from India and Brazil, respectively.

D

Deleted member

Some guy called Zen, supposedly from India.

Here's the whole thing he leaked

As it turns out, the newcomer he didn't know about was Necalli and it was the first one revealed, to his misfortune.
I doubt it's Not!ACDC so hopefully this Zen guy uses something similar to Hamon

That Mac vs Greninja one was too sick

"MAKE POSES WITH ME"

IDK, is Mike Tyson Brazilian? Probably not
I should probably do some research before I post
So Blanka is the OG Brazilian fighter

Also
"This article is about Balrog, known as "M. Bison" in Japan. For the character known as "Balrog" in Japan, see Vega (Street Fighter). For "M. Bison" outside Japan, see M. Bison."
Who let this happen?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
*Saved*

New wallpaper.

:231:
>Call yourself a Red Tyrant for the Mother Russia love
>Not having Zangief as your avatar

Change it now or you'll be seen as a disappointment to Alice

I wanna note how Rashid was apparently from Africa but he actually turned out to be from the Middle East.

It's not a stretch to think Zen and Laura might not even be from India and Brazil, respectively.
I can see that. I believe Laura might be another U.S. related fighter or from France who doesn't have any representation as of right now or even Canada who has never had a fighter repped in SF ever

Chrono.

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

The Mike Tyson I knew always had psychic powers and a dictator outfit.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
@Zoroarking And Kenith Kenith

Reason for the name switch is because Mike Tyson was lawsuit happy around that time and he really doesn't like his likeness running around. Even then Balrog still had the look of Tyson when the original SF2 for the arcade launched

This was his design in the original World Warrior game.

The recent designs go for less of the Tyson look

Also, speaking of Mike Tyson.
You wanna know the reason why the NES Punch Out games stopped having his name on them?
Because Nintendo dropped him off all games and future sequels because he lost the title to Buster Douglas at the time who the latter had his own boxing game released on the Sega Genesis

Chrono.

I can see that. I believe Laura might be another U.S. related fighter or from France who doesn't have any representation as of right now or even Canada who has never had a fighter repped in SF ever
As well as the chances of the remaining returning fighter showing up in Brazil Game Show increasing a bit in my eyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Blanka (#OnoBias), Sean (#BallIsLife) or Oro (#idek) instead of a new character like it's been speculated all this time...

Idk, Ono is like Sakurai, you can never predict him.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The comments on the Zangief trailer are absolutely hilarious.

Like, I want SF3 characters as much as the next guy but come on.
Blah blah blah SF2, blah blah blah same old characters.

The reactions to Dhalsim hypothetically being in would be hilarious.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@Zoroarking And Kenith Kenith

Reason for the name switch is because Mike Tyson was lawsuit happy around that time and he really doesn't like his likeness running around. Even then Balrog still had the look of Tyson when the original SF2 for the arcade launched

This was his design in the original World Warrior game.

The recent designs go for less of the Tyson look

Also, speaking of Mike Tyson.
You wanna know the reason why the NES Punch Out games stopped having his name on them?
Because Nintendo dropped him off all games and future sequels because he lost the title to Buster Douglas at the time who the latter had his own boxing game released on the Sega Genesis
I know this...that's what I was saying.
Although...wow, that is very blatantly Mike Tyson. LOL.
Still, I'm glad they switched the names.
I mean, Vega is a much more fitting name for Claw. Balrog sounds like the name of a DnD monster.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I see FalKoopa FalKoopa is back to being a communist dictator.

Strange case of split personality disorder. From moe girls to communist dictator... It's difficult to imagine a bigger contrast. :smirk:

In regards to the Vega, Balrog, M. Bison name switch, I'm pretty sure they also didn't want the dictator to be named Vega because it wouldn't sound threatening or something.

Vega also sounds Spanish and the claw-wielder is from Spain.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
You said you don't agree with it, which means you find fault with it, and I'm responding as to why it's justified. If you find it justified, why bring it up as an example of a "unnecessary nerf"?

If a "nerf" isn't consequential, why complain about it to begin when it's not going to affect anything? And I bring up the shields because that's why the getup attacks deal 2 less bonus shield damage.

You can easily test it yourself, and I already reported it there; in fact it's in the OP now.

Except as explained, they weren't actually nerfed like you're making them out to be, and they were simple "quality of life" changes made to account for a significant engine change. Not every change to a percieved lower tier character needs to be a straight buff.

Except I did? The shield stun formula was reworked to inflict significantly more shield damage on shields, so some moves with bonus shield damage had it slightly reduced to account for the even greater shield damage they'll be inflicting with the longer shield stuns. That's explaining why, and ignoring significant engine changes when considering changes to characters shows a severe lack of understanding on how balancing works.

And again, if a "nerf" is only a nerf under the absolute technical term, who cares? How does it matter if it's not going to actually affect the actual game in the slightest?

Your original post I responded to:

"I just read through the community patch notes...
Some times I wonder exactly how terrible so many players are to the point that Nintendo nerfs things that dont need nerfing. I understand why Nintendo, as a business, needs to do things like that.....but I just feel that more players should take responsibility for their own suckiness instead of blaming a game or a character."

Sounds like complaining about a nonissue to me, lamenting about "needless nerfs" and blaming players being "terrible" for them happening, when the only actual nerfs in the patch was to Luigi's infamous down throw and a near-negligible knockback growth nerf on the final hit of his Cyclone.
I'll respond in mostly in order.

[stuff about faults]
No, not agreeing with a change does not mean I find fault in it. I personally felt that dodging was fine as is, but I understood that many players felt it was too lenient. It was a matter of taste, not a matter of the logic being wrong.

[complaining about nerfs]
Again, look at my original post. I was wondering, not complaining. A casual thought about why changes were made when they dont need to be isnt complaining. At not least not where I'm from.

[significant engine change and get up attacks nerfs]
Yes, it was a significant engine change that didn't need to happen. Therefore the adjustments to get up attacks, which are a result of the universal shield nerf, is also unnecessary to me.

[buffs]
Nowhere did I say or imply that a character needed buffs.

[testing it myself]
Unfortunately, no, I can't test this myself. Some recent financial issues due to a scummy convention seller and being laid off (all around the same time and in a terrible order) meant selling many of my games and collectors items to make ends meet. And my closest fgc scene, Yomi, doesnt do smash; not that I have much time to go there. But even if I could test it, the point of patch notes is to be a quick reference so people dont have to test every single change them selves. Thank you for having them update that thread, though.

[more shieldstun stuff]
And again, you still haven't said why universal shield stun changes were made in the first place, just how they work, which I understand; I know smash, I saw the equation, and I understand math, so I know what it does. Explaining how things work after-the-fact tells people nothing about why the balance changes were necessary in the first place. It's like changing a U.I. of a site people think is fine; you can explain to users how the new U.I. works (though you probably dont need to like in this case), but it doesn't necessarily explain why it was changed. And when there wasn't a problem with the old one they are going to wonder why it was changed. Does them wondering mean they have no idea how UI works? Does it mean all the U.I. changes were necessary?

So I'll rephrase my question to you. Maybe I was just unclear in my tiredness. Why do you think or feel the base changes (that resulted in all the qol and minor changes) were necessary and what do they accomplish? Personally, I think I see what they accomplish and why they were made, but I simply don't think it was necessary.

[technical terms / who cares]
There's a reason my initial post it was simple, off-hand remark and not a page long tirade. The only reason I'm still talking about it is because you asked what I thought and then proceeded to make assumptions, rude ones at that, about me and my thoughts, so I keep replying. If you hadnt responded you'd never have heard me speak of it again.

[stuff about complaining, lamenting, and terrible players]
That is 83% incorrect. I was wondering, not complaining because it just didnt matter much; it was literally a passing thought. I wasn't lamenting because it didnt make me feel anything and it wont significantly affect how well I play. I was half serious about terrible players being the cause of most of the changes, though, so I'll give you a solid 17% correctness on that.

[Luigi]
I did say that most of the changes weren't significant (thrice at this point I believe).
And there's a reason I didn't list Luigi in any of my posts.

D

Deleted member

I believe it went somehow like this

At Capcom USA
"Ok, let's start translating this ****"
"Sir, about this character, M. Bison who is a rip-off of Mike Tyson"
"Say it"
"Don't you think he may get offended by it?"
"**** you are right. We need to change his name"
"Sir, why don't we give him this other character's name?"
"But then he would have no name"
"Give this guy's name here to him and he can take the name M. Bison"
"You are a genius! You got the job!"
"Sir, I already work here..."

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I see FalKoopa FalKoopa is back to being a communist dictator.

Strange case of split personality disorder. From moe girls to communist dictator... It's difficult to imagine a bigger contrast. :smirk:

In regards to the Vega, Balrog, M. Bison name switch, I'm pretty sure they also didn't want the dictator to be named Vega because it wouldn't sound threatening or something.

Vega also sounds Spanish and the claw-wielder is from Spain.
Thing is the name switch didn't happen in Japan. Those names fit perfectly here than they do in Japan. Even Capcom USA acknowledges this.

Plus Capcom is always known for those name switches. Look at Resident Evil, Megaman, Ace Attorney and even small cases of other franchises. Although most of those are mostly just translations than changes for avoiding lawsuit

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Surprising no one, Gamefaqs is a saltmine right now lol

When is GameFAQs not a saltmine? :smirk:

Thing is the name switch didn't happen in Japan. Those names fit perfectly here than they do in Japan. Even Capcom USA acknowledges this.

Plus Capcom is always known for those name switches. Look at Resident Evil, Megaman, Ace Attorney and even small cases of other franchises. Although most of those are mostly just translations than changes for avoiding lawsuit
I'm well aware of that.

The name switch is only applicable for non-Japanese versions.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

WHY IS THE RED MEGAMAN GUY NAMED BLUES?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom