• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
>Malon wouldn't be in Hyrule Warriors.
>Agitha is in Hyrule Warriors.

"They wouldn't use that character" really isn't an argument itself. With the information we have, I see no reason Malon couldn't be one of the new DLC characters.
Well to be fair, Agitha was infamous for being the creepy bug girl from Twilight Princess, Malon, hasn't really impacted the series in any way, and even has another version of her in Majora's Mask, Romani.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
>Romani

*Remembers that one cut scene in MM*

Link you lucky *******...

I know right?! I love hugs. Hugs are nice and have no alternative ways of being interpreted.

Also that's Cremia not Romani

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
>Romani

*Remembers that one cut scene in MM*

Link you lucky *******...
That's Cremia. Romani is the little sister, Cremia is the older, hot one. :chuckle:
Well to be fair, Agitha was infamous for being the creepy bug girl from Twilight Princess, Malon, hasn't really impacted the series in any way, and even has another version of her in Majora's Mask, Romani.
Um, Malon is definitely more impactful than Agitha. Malon is probably one of the most popular Zelda NPCs. She's in Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords Adventures, AND The Minish Cap.
Also, Malon teaches Link Epona's Song which is pretty noteworthy, and her expy in Majora's Mask does the same thing. I'd imagine any NPC so connected to an ocarina song is remembered pretty well.

tl;dr Malon isn't a random choice if Agitha the Bug Princess isn't.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's Cremia. Romani is the little sister, Cremia is the older, hot one. :chuckle:

Um, Malon is definitely more impactful than Agitha. Malon is probably one of the most popular Zelda NPCs. She's in Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords Adventures, AND The Minish Cap.
Also, Malon teaches Link Epona's Song which is pretty noteworthy, and her expy in Majora's Mask does the same thing. I'd imagine any NPC so connected to an ocarina song is remembered pretty well.

tl;dr Malon isn't a random choice if Agitha the Bug Princess isn't.
That is true, so I can see Malon being added eventually, but nit before more popular choices, such as Saria.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was wondering why the Sonic series got a lot of accusations of having too many character as the Mario series also added new ones like E. Gadd and Bowser Jr but then I looked specifically at the PLAYABLE characters. Only counting games that match the original genre (i.e. Sonic Rivals sill counts) here's the list of characters playable in Sonic games.

1. Sonic
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Amy
5. Shadow
6. Rogue
7. Omega
8. Gamma (Sonic Adventure 1 only)
9. Cream
10. Big
11. Silver
12. Blaze
13. Espio
14. Charmy
15. Vector
16. Sticks (Boom on 3DS)
17. Metal Sonic (As a costume in Sonic Adventure, as himself in SA2's battle mode and Rival 1&2)
18. Eggman (Sonic Adventure 2)
19. Mighty the Armadillo (Knuckles Chaotix)
20. Heavy (Knuckles Chaotix)
21. Bomb (Knuckles Chaotix)

and here's Mario's list

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Toad
5. Yoshi (As a power-up usually but as himself in 64DS)
6. Nabbit
7. A Yellow Toad
8. A Blue Toad
9. Rosalina
10. Wario (64DS)

That's 21 sonic characters (18 if you remove the Chaotix exclusives) and 10 Mario character (8 without duplicate Toads, 6 if you don't count 64DS)

Quite a difference.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I was wondering why the Sonic series got a lot of accusations of having too many character as the Mario series also added new ones like E. Gadd and Bowser Jr but then I looked specifically at the PLAYABLE characters. Only counting games that match the original genre (i.e. Sonic Rivals sill counts) here's the list of characters playable in Sonic games.

1. Sonic
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Amy
5. Shadow
6. Rogue
7. Omega
9. Cream
10. Big
11. Silver
12. Blaze
13. Espio
14. Charmy
15. Vector
16. Sticks (Boom on 3DS)
17. Metal Sonic (As a costume in Sonic Adventure, as himself in SA2's battle mode and Rival 1&2)

and here's Mario's list

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Toad
6. Nabbit
7. A Yellow Toad
8. A Blue Toad
9. Rosalina
10. Wario (64DS)

That's 21 sonic characters (18 if you remove the Chaotix exclusives) and 10 Mario character (8 without duplicate Toads, 6 if you don't count 64DS)

Quite a difference.
We NEED Mighty to come back NOW!!!

D

Deleted member

I miss you Gamma.....
.....i miss you.....
Your playstyle may have been too out of place for a Sonic game but i still like you....

Strofirko

Smash Master
The problem with sanic characters,is that they keep bringing new chars and throwing the old ones in a wasteland,in case of mario the most recent "main character " was nabbit in 2012,but they still develop other characters from previous games like rosalina and captain toad/toadette,in the case of sonic we got sticks last year,but silver and blaze nowadays are almost irrelevant.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
FEE1-0000-0054-C9EF.

^ My first Mario Maker stage.
Dunno if it's okay to share this with a Mario Maker thread and all.

It's a test stage where I spent hours figuring out how to make things. As a result it's...bizarre.
Try it!

If I messed up the code, my stage's name is "Test: Plant Maze".

We NEED Mighty to come back NOW!!!
"MainJPW likes this".
Hm...

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

1. Sonic
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Amy
5. Shadow
6. Rogue
7. Omega
9. Cream
10. Big
11. Silver
12. Blaze
13. Espio
14. Charmy
15. Vector
16. Sticks (Boom on 3DS)

and here's Mario's list

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Toad
6. Nabbit
7. A Yellow Toad
8. A Blue Toad
9. Rosalina
10. Wario (64DS)

Quite a difference.
You forgot that Metal is playable in Episode Metal :p
EDIT: Oh and if we count Sa2's battle mode as you have with Metal.
Both Tikal and Chaos can also be added to that list.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Nack is the only classic character I'd like to see come back, I can take or leave the rest.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

1. Sonic
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Amy
5. Shadow
6. Rogue
7. Omega
9. Cream
10. Big
11. Silver
12. Blaze
13. Espio
14. Charmy
15. Vector
16. Sticks (Boom on 3DS)

and here's Mario's list

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Toad
6. Nabbit
7. A Yellow Toad
8. A Blue Toad
9. Rosalina
10. Wario (64DS)

Quite a difference.
The problem with the Sonic cast Vs. The Mario cast is that the Mario portion is mostly harmless. Even when a Mario character is fleshed out a bit (Rosalina), they still aren't the focal point and don't completely detract from the game of the character you're playing as. Sonic characters tend of overshadow Sonic HIMSELF. Seriously, if you look at Sonic's story in games like Adventure, Adventure 2, 06, Rivals 1 & 2, Riders, Rush, etc... Sonic usually is left in the dark on most important plot details until the Last Episode or whatever. The other characters are the ones who end up finding out what's going on behind the scenes while Sonic mucks about thinking he's actually doing something important.
In terms of being playable, it comes down to HOW each character plays. Most Mario characters in the mainstream games play largely the same as Mario himself with some variation: Luigi jumping higher with lower traction, Peach Floating, Toad being Fast but a low jumper, Rosalina having the Galaxy Spin, all the Mario 64 DS characters still having all the basic moves with their own powerups and quirks, etc. So they're harmless and don't throw a completely different genre at you.
When it comes to Sonic, it's not as simple. Yeah, you got things like Tails and Knuckles playing largely like Sonic, same with Amy and Cream in the Advance games, and everyone playing fairly similarly in Heroes,, but in most cases they end up DETRACTING from what Sonic is known for, which is speedy platforming. Silly stories aside, I am almost entirely certain that if every Sonic character played largely like Sonic (High Speed Platforming and the like) while still retaining their own unique quirks, people would not have NEARLY as much of a problem with them. But because they radically take away from what makes Sonic games... er, Sonic games a lot of the time, they get flack. Playing like a shooting gallery, a fishing game, a hide and seek game, a racing game, a Tomodachi pet simulator, a horror-ish run-away-from-the-invincible-thing... so on and so forth.
It's why Blaze is typically the most "Liked" of the modern characters: She's a female alternate- dimension Sonic in a way. Goes fast and all that, but can use tricks to get MAJOR air and glide through the air shortly and such. Black Knight also does this well with Blaze Knuckles and Shadow. Even with all that aside, when it comes to Sonic games with multiple player characters, you usually have to beat the game with ALL of them to truely finish it, whereas a Mario game usually only requires a normal playthrough with a single character to get the most out of it, and extends the LENGTH of the game to compensate, rather than making you play the game 4 times through the same levels to finally see how it all ends.
It's why Sonic has been the only playable character in mainstream games since Unleashed and beyond. It's Sega trying to keep things focused (When they're not getting distracted by Werehog beatemups and EVERY SINGLE DAMN LEVEL IN LOST WORLD) so that things aren't all over the place.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
The problem with the Sonic cast Vs. The Mario cast is that the Mario portion is mostly harmless. Even when a Mario character is fleshed out a bit (Rosalina), they still aren't the focal point and don't completely detract from the game of the character you're playing as. Sonic characters tend of overshadow Sonic HIMSELF. Seriously, if you look at Sonic's story in games like Adventure, Adventure 2, 06, Rivals 1 & 2, Riders, Rush, etc... Sonic usually is left in the dark on most important plot details until the Last Episode or whatever. The other characters are the ones who end up finding out what's going on behind the scenes while Sonic mucks about thinking he's actually doing something important.
In terms of being playable, it comes down to HOW each character plays. Most Mario characters in the mainstream games play largely the same as Mario himself with some variation: Luigi jumping higher with lower traction, Peach Floating, Toad being Fast but a low jumper, Rosalina having the Galaxy Spin, all the Mario 64 DS characters still having all the basic moves with their own powerups and quirks, etc. So they're harmless and don't throw a completely different genre at you.
When it comes to Sonic, it's not as simple. Yeah, you got things like Tails and Knuckles playing largely like Sonic, same with Amy and Cream in the Advance games, and everyone playing fairly similarly in Heroes,, but in most cases they end up DETRACTING from what Sonic is known for, which is speedy platforming. Silly stories aside, I am almost entirely certain that if every Sonic character played largely like Sonic (High Speed Platforming and the like) while still retaining their own unique quirks, people would not have NEARLY as much of a problem with them. But because they radically take away from what makes Sonic games... er, Sonic games a lot of the time, they get flack.
It's why Blaze is typically the most "Liked" of the modern characters: She's a female Sonic in a way. Goes fast and all that, but can use tricks to get MAJOR air and glide through the air shortly and such. Even with all that aside, when it comes to Sonic games with multiple player characters, you usually have to beat the game with ALL of them to truely finish it, whereas a Mario game usually only requires a normal playthrough with a single character to get the most out of it, and extends the LENGTH of the game to compensate, rather than making you play the game 4 times through the same levels to finally see how it all ends.
It's why Sonic has been the only playable character in mainstream games since Unleashed and beyond. It's Sega trying to keep things focused (When they're not getting distracted by Werehog beatemups and EVERY SINGLE DAMN LEVEL IN LOST WORLD) so that things aren't all over the place.
This is coming from someone who actually enjoys the WereHog play style quite a bit.
But it would have been very interesting to see how people would have reacted if it was knuckles doing the other side of the game.
Sonic and Knuckles 2.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I would've liked the Werehog if it were a normal 3D platformer to contrast regular Sonic's speed-based platforming.

MainJPW

M.T.A
This is coming from someone who actually enjoys the WereHog play style quite a bit.
But it would have been very interesting to see how people would have reacted if it was knuckles doing the other side of the game.
Sonic and Knuckles 2.
Which reminds me that Knuckles was probably going to have a similar gameplay style to the Werehog in Sonic Adventure given his unused comboing abilties.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean I don't think the Werehog is TERRIBLE, fundementally it's sound enough, but it doesn't do anything unique with him, the levels drag and the latter half of his levels are comprised almost entirely of those generic hooks and narrow walkways and crap you latch onto.
Also, battle theme. Good song on its own, horrible when it plays every 2 seconds.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
true story i once told someone that sonic unleashed was originally going to be art of the story book seires where knuckles takes the role of luffy from one piece but the license fell through so they had to change almost everything....
they believed it

Chrono.

I mean I don't think the Werehog is TERRIBLE, fundementally it's sound enough, but it doesn't do anything unique with him, the levels drag and the latter half of his levels are comprised almost entirely of those generic hooks and crap you latch onto.
Not to mention he feels like a paper ram... Unless you used that weird RPG system to level him up, which I felt was unnecessary to have anyway.

Anyways, GameXplain are banking on 3 more characters for HWL.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
true story i once told someone that sonic unleashed was originally going to be art of the story book seires where knuckles takes the role of luffy from one piece but the license fell through so they had to change almost everything....
they believed it
Someone on my school bus told me that if you got all 150 stars in SM64DS, you'd get a high enough triple jump to jump into the stain glass Peach window in front of the castle and find a secret room.
Waluigi may or may not have been involved, don't remember.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
All I know is without the Werehog we wouldn't have got the awesome 12 minute short.
And the amazing music that accompanied him.
And every single piece of Hub World Music, Because the Hub Worlds have some great tracks.
Oh yeah, Werehog's music is DELICIOUS. Unleashed is my favorite soundtrack of the entire series.
But I have still grown to hate the first 30 seconds of this.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh yeah, Werehog's music is DELICIOUS. Unleashed is my favorite soundtrack of the entire series.
But I have still grown to hate the first 30 seconds of this.
I was expecting this to show up. It's one of my most loved and hated themes in Sonic games, period. For obvious reasons for both.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Don't you just love how night segments of Eggmanland had its song play the whole way through.

Gee, sure would have been great to have that for the REST OF THE GAME

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

This is one of the best fan remixes I've ever heard.

Also replayed Sanic 3 and knux twice this week, and it still holds up as one of my favorite games ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom