• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now drifblim and litwick on the other hand....
It's only Drifloon that drags children to hell, though.

Also Lampent is far worse than Litwick, with Chandelure being just as bad, if not worse.

D

Deleted member

W-What?! But their incompetency is what makes them great! If we're speaking about Jesse and James that is.

The last time I watched the anime though was around somewhere in the Johto season. The Unova season really looked bad though. The use of CG looked so cheap lol
Agreed.
I really disliked how "serious" they made Team Rocket in Unova
Jesse and James are supposed to be comical villains not the main antagonists
Besides, they were already the vest trainers ever in the anime.
And gave me the most feels
Seriously, the episode where they leave Arbok and Weezing was one of the saddest **** I've ever seen as a kid

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I DID get the point but I disagree with that statement
How can you disagree with a fact?

In Japanese, the original language in which Super Smash Bros. and Pokémon are written, Dark types are officially called Evil types (あくタイプ aku type).

Yes, I'm aware that Dark-type Pokémon may not be evil, but it's what the type is called, hence why Greninja appeared in the "evil guys" Conquest in Smash Bros., because he's an Evil type in Japan.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with this here. This is a fact and it's a fact that the Conquest's theme was lost in translation due to the localization choice for the Pokémon series to have あく (evil) translated to "dark" (which in Japanese is 暗い, by the way).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
W-What?! But their incompetency is what makes them great! If we're speaking about Jesse and James that is.

The last time I watched the anime though was around somewhere in the Johto season. The Unova season really looked bad though. The use of CG looked so cheap lol
I've always hated incompetency honestly, Team Rocket didn't give me a sense of 'Oh those wacky scoundrels are at it again' but more of 'You got to be kidding me who'd hire these bumbling idiots?' Then again, I hear bumbling idiot villains are popular in Japan

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I've always hated incompetency honestly, Team Rocket didn't give me a sense of 'Oh those wacky scoundrels are at it again' but more of 'You got to be kidding me who'd hire these bumbling idiots?' Then again, I hear bumbling idiot villains are popular in Japan
But who's the bumbling idiots at the end of the day?
The idiots themselves or the kid that's put up with them for Arceus knows how long and still doesn't see through any of the idiots' obvious disguises?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How can you disagree with a fact?

In Japanese, the original language in which Super Smash Bros. and Pokémon are written, Dark types are officially called Evil types (あくタイプ aku type).

Yes, I'm aware that Dark-type Pokémon may not be evil, but it's what the type is called, hence why Greninja appeared in the "evil guys" Conquest in Smash Bros., because he's an Evil type in Japan.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with this here. This is a fact and it's a fact that the Conquest's theme was lost in translation due to the localization choice for the Pokémon series to have あく (evil) translated to "dark" (which in Japanese is 暗い, by the way).
I just think saying 'for teh evulz' is dumb, that's why I disagree. If Conquest only ****ed up by translation then I really want to know about Dedede not being on Team Dedede

Also Lampent is far worse than Litwick, with Chandelure being just as bad, if not worse.
@Chandelure confirmed to be the thread's true villain

D

Deleted member

He could have been considered at some point, but he or GameFreak probably rather wanted to promote the then upcoming Gen 6 instead I would assume....
I remember when Zoroark (and Chrom) were seen as "LE MUH RECENCY SHOO-INS" in Smash speculation. (altough i think zoroark talk ceased around mid 2013 or something)

And then we got Greninja (and Robin) respectively instead (although Mewtwo and Roy will always be my boys)

Speculation is a wild ride for sure. (and it's only going to get crazier)

Last edited by a moderator:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
But who's the bumbling idiots at the end of the day?
The idiots themselves or the kid that's put up with them for Arceus knows how long and still doesn't see through any of the idiots' obvious disguises?
James could literally just take off his shirt and Ash still wouldn't notice.

Chrono.

I'll give the Unova anime one thing, the Team Rocket vs Team Plasma thing seemed promising. Too bad it (understandably) got canned.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'll give the Unova anime one thing, the Team Rocket vs Team Plasma thing seemed promising. Too bad it (understandably) got canned.
Didn't it get cancelled because of the earthquakes?
I bet my *** that if James tried to fight in the Pokemon League with a full team, he would probably win
Seriously. Ash and co have to catch Pokemon. James befriends them to the point they WANT to get catched. He'd be best buds with Mewtwo and teach Zangoose and Seviper to understand one another

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I just think saying 'for teh evulz' is dumb, that's why I disagree. If Conquest only ****ed up by translation then I really want to know about Dedede not being on Team Dedede
Probably a scripting mistake? Don't know.

The PAL version didn't have that mistake or so SmashWiki states.

(Also, tone down your aggressiveness, will you? It's getting tiresome and unpleasant.)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I DID get the point but I disagree with that statement

Those are ghosts though, not Dark types
Oh I know, I was just saying.

Yes the litwick line will slowly drain the living soul of those in it's habitat, such as the Black and White episode. Driblim drag kids to hell to I believe, one the entries says it, I think. Let me check..

EDIT: Ok, Driblim doesn't necessarily take people to Hell, but it takes them somewhere, where they disappear according to several entries.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh I know, I was just saying.

Yes the litwick line will slowly drain the living soul of those in it's habitat, such as the Black and White episode. Driblim drag kids to hell to I believe, one the entries says it, I think. Let me check..
A little girl who fights with a litwick says she feels dizzy when it's fighting in BW iirc
Probably a scripting mistake? Don't know.

The PAL version didn't have that mistake or so SmashWiki states.

(Also, tone down your aggressiveness, will you? It's getting tiresome and unpleasant.)
It's a pretty mindboggling mistake

Come on, that was too aggressive?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I just was done with the Pokemon anime was because Johto upset me so much

>Ash has a great run in the Johto League
>Beats a few great Trainers
>Has the greatest battle ever with Gary Oak and wins against his rival.
>How the build up to being a great finale
>Chokes against Harrison
>Him, Misty and Brock all split up and go on their separate paths
>Think that this would be the end and that they would be something different and new
>LOL NOPE ASH BECAUSE ADVERTISING
:glare:

And it doesn't help they pull this same stunt 3 times again. The Pokemon anime is an example of dropping the ball hard and hitting the status quote every time

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
A little girl who fights with a litwick says she feels dizzy when it's fighting in BW iirc

It's a pretty mindboggling mistake

Come on, that was too aggressive?
I don't remember that NPC. The X and Y NPC's say some creepy **** though. The battle chateau is filled with weird dialogue.

Soul.

I feel that the writers of the Pokémon anime make Ash not know the bad guys, even if they're something as simple as Team Rocket, only to not end the episode before the 30 minute benchmark.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I remember when Zoroark (and Chrom) were seen as "LE MUH RECENCY SHOO-INS" in Smash speculation. (altough i think zoroark talk ceased around mid 2013 or something)

And then we got Greninja (and Robin) respectively instead (although Mewtwo and Roy will always be my boys)

Speculation is a wild ride for sure. (and it's only going to get crazier)
"I'm not putting Magnus, Ghirahim, or Zoroark on (my top 10 most wanted 1st party characters list), mainly because we basically know they're in."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be honest i never believe PokeDex entries most of the time.

I found them just bad attemps to make the Pokemon more Animal-Like. Call me when that stuff happens in the games. NOT THE MANGAS. NOT THE ANIME. But the games themselves.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

>Chokes against Harrison
>Think that this would be the end and that they would be something different and new

And it doesn't help they pull this same stunt 3 times again. The Pokemon anime is an example of dropping the ball hard and hitting the status quote every time
*Ash does well in Sinnoh*
Tobias with his team of Legendaries out of ****ing nowhere!

Can we have Ash win a proper League for once so we can move on to another protagonist?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Pokémon anime is aimed at little kids and is pretty much a way to milk the series. I don't think excellent writing is in their priorities. lol

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
WHY DO YOU HAVE TO KEEP TELLING US TO CALM DOWN!?! WHAT IF WE WANT TO TYPE THIS WAY!?! THIS IS WHAT WE KEYBOARD WARRIORS DO, AND YOU KEEP OFFENDING US LIKE ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET. WE WILL CONTINUE TO TYPE WITH OUR BLISTERED HANDS AND RUTHLESS AGGRESSION. WE WILL JAM THIS KEYBOARD FOR THE REST OF OUR SORE LIVES.

FOR BROKEN KEYBOARDS ON WHICH WE STAND, ONE LETTER ALWAYS CAPITLIZED, AND VISIBLE. FOR HYPERBOLES AND EXAGGERATION FOR ALL.
:troll:
To be honest, I've always wanted to attempt this joke to see how it would turn out. I just thought right now would be a good time to bring it up :p. I'm still in the process of improving my humor though XD. Hopefully it improves soon enough.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I stopped caring about the anime after Unova. Besides, if I ever wanted to see the anime, there's the Pokemon games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm sure no one forgets the "Beauty" who used to be a "Black Belt".
It's even less subtle in Japan, she says Karate King there

Can we have Ash win a proper League for once so we can move on to another protagonist?
Origins 2 when?
The Pokémon anime is aimed at little kids and is pretty much a way to milk the series. I don't think excellent writing is in their priorities. lol
That's not really a good excuse when other tv shows do the same thing but with better writing. Hell, mlp for instance was made to sell toys, got quite the sizeable fanbase

D

Deleted member

Pokemon Adventures is better anyway (that thing needs it's own animated adaptation. I don't care how much i have to wait, JoJo didn't get a full-fledged Anime until 2012 for crying out loud.I can wait as long as you want)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's even less subtle in Japan, she says Karate King there

Origins 2 when?

That's not really a good excuse when other tv shows do the same thing but with better writing. Hell, mlp for instance was made to sell toys, got quite the sizeable fanbase
No one said it was a good excuse. But it's still making them money and it's what they do. =P

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
That's a bad excuse. I got emotionally involved in the Johto arc's last act. They can write good. It's just that they won't ever just end Ash's journey and just have him age and mature as a trainer and a character.

Nope gotta have him lose so he'll have an excuse to go to the next region. That was literally the whole reason he was in Hoenn because Harrison's Blaziken wrecked his Charizard hard.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
"Anime was a mistake."

I wonder how long ago they decided to delay Star Fox Zero. Part of me wonders if there is/would be a stage based off it in the works but they said it too a year to do the Assault one. They'd need something unique without making it stupidly complicated.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I didn't say it was an excuse, but it's the truth nonetheless. :p

There are well-written shows aimed at younger audiences. That, I can very much agree with.

Pokemon Adventures is better anyway (that thing needs it's own animated adaptation. I don't care how much i have to wait, JoJo didn't get a full-fledged Anime until 2012 for crying out loud.I can wait as long as you want)
The Adventures manga has a sense of progression that the anime completely lacks.

The art and character design is better (in my opinion) and there's actually character development. The characters grow and progress in the story, unlike Ash who stays the same 10-year-old kid forever and doesn't really have any development or any that has is lost in the next season anyway.

The audience is the same and both employ similar story elements, but the manga is better written than the anime when it comes to the characters themselves.

Last edited:

Soul.

The only Pokémon anime that seemed interesting to me was DP. BW sucked so I didn't watch it fully; I watched a few episodes.
As far as XY goes, I only watched clips of some episodes and the Mega Evolution specials.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
"Anime was a mistake."

I wonder how long ago they decided to delay Star Fox Zero. Part of me wonders if there is/would be a stage based off it in the works but they said it too a year to do the Assault one. They'd need something unique without making it stupidly complicated.
We haven't seen a thing about the game since E3, and they said they COULD technically release the full game on that day still, but you know. My guess is it was probably fairly recent.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I understand that :094: is a Ghost / Poison type, but I seriously think he'd be among the best choices for a "villain / Dark" Pokemon, even though he's a Gen I Pokemon and those already make up 2/3 of the Pokemon on the roster.

Besides :4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4pikachu:, who else REALLY screams Pokemon? I mean, out of the "popular Pokemon", you still have :009:, :052:, :149:, :068:... :214: ... OK actually still a lot of pre-Melee Pokemon are interesting enough for Smash Bros. characters BUT arguably Gengar is the most different, being an actual "dark" Pokemon who can use poison, ghost abilities, dark energy and his tongue as well, plus a Mega Evolution too!

If we were to get another pre-Gen III Pokemon that isn't a veteran, I'd say Gengar would be the best addition.

Zoroark would be neat as well, or, y'know, give Greninja some Dark moves.

Chrono.

We haven't seen a thing about the game since E3, and they said they COULD technically release the full game on that day still, but you know. My guess is it was probably fairly recent.
SFZ was actually playable on Gamescon and PAX.

No real new info other than the visuals looking a lot more polished than on E3, they had also released a couple screenshots every now and then.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm sure no one forgets the "Beauty" who used to be a "Black Belt".
I think it was Dragonspiral
Didn't they subtlely have an NPC imply she used to be male there?
Yes, I remember that one very well. One of the funnier one's is in XY. A hiker gives you a Karate guy gives you a float stone, then you come back and he's a hiker, and says he put some weight on since last time. That one made me laugh.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

>Chokes against Harrison

Honestly Johto is the only league I don't have much issue with. I get advertising, but it did feel like they put the same amount of effort into that fight as they did Vs. Gary. Blaziken vs. Charizard was hype IMO.

Kanto is the worst league IMO. No Gary fight (WTF!?), Ash only carrying 5 Pokemon at once (4 because Zard), Richie is an awful character, the Richie fight lasted 5 minutes with a sleep cop out, Pikachu losing to a weaker Pokemon, and Zard being a **** again.

Hoenn is 2nd best, Ash did make it another tier farther than the previous leagues, but the characters were pretty forgettable and the battles not as memorable.

Shinnoh did have the Paul fight, but again it's hard to get over the issues with that rivalry. Also the Legendary Fight pretty much the writers breaking the rules and pulling out an Action Replay in order to blockade the progression Ash made in previous leagues.

Unova I guess had Lucario. But yeah, it was pretty much the "Ash losing to a less experienced trainer" trope again. No older team members either...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom