• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just want that troll to just reveal this **** at E3 already if that's his next project. HD Takamaru in a brand new game would make me cry tears of joy like Ukraine.
Well Hideki has gone on record saying he would like to work on a Murasame Castle revival project: https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/247276749350645760

So it is entirely possible that if Takamaru is included in SSB4, and he is entitled to a remake like Kid Icarus, then Hideki is likely who they will go to for said revival.
I know that since I am one of his more civilized followers, I just want him to officially reveal it at E3 since most surprises happen there. You are right that he may work on it since he grew tired of the Star Fox fans pestering him like horseflies (No Platinum Star Fox for you!). Considering how huge of a troll he is, he's highly unpredictable and could reveal Star Fox after "deconfirming it" to the fans on his Twitter.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not sure if this is the exact art from the Nintendo Land website but it seems pretty darn close.
(pause at exactly 7:50)

There are some other awesome things in the video so make sure to watch the whole thing I happened across this glorious video while searching for murasame castle remixes.

Here's the video embedded.
Brb downloading the video and stealing everything for my own use.

If only there was a Murasame jo Historia...

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think Takamaru had the potential to be alot bigger. If only they'd localized the game back then. Were Samurai not cool in the 80s over here?

Well, at least I can hopefully see him face off against Link in Smash (and Hyrule Warriors if that one rumor is to be belived, and it honestly doesn't sound too far-fetched.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think Takamaru had the potential to be alot bigger. If only they'd localized the game back then. Were Samurai not cool in the 80s over here?

Well, at least I can hopefully see him face off against Link in Smash (and Hyrule Warriors if that one rumor is to be belived, and it honestly doesn't sound too far-fetched.)
We can all agree that the next global Nintendo Direct will be our last resort to see if either of the following happen A) Takamaru joins the SSB4 roster B) Takamaru appears as a guest in Hyrule Warriors or C) Both. We might see another video for Hyrule Warriors since the game might have that late Spring release or be delayed for a later time. It would be the perfect opportunity since we haven't heard from the game since December.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
We can all agree that the next global Nintendo Direct will be our last resort to see if either of the following happen A) Takamaru joins the SSB4 roster B) Takamaru appears as a guest in Hyrule Warriors or C) Both. We might see another video for Hyrule Warriors since the game might have that late Spring release or be delayed for a later time. It would be the perfect opportunity since we haven't heard from the game since December.
I'm definitely not going to say that April's likely direct is our last shot. It's certainly a good one, but at least in terms of Smash, Sakurai is unpredictable. Takamaru might even be announced at E3 or a hidden character.

I certainly hope that Hyrule Warriors gets more stuff soon, but Takamaru being a guest character in that might just be a hidden thing. Although if he IS announced for Smash in the next direct, it would certainly be a good time to show it.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Takamaru's biggest competition would be a Fire Emblem character. April is the anniversary for both games, and let's face it, Fire Emblem is the more noteworthy of the two.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Takamaru's biggest competition would be a Fire Emblem character. April is the anniversary for both games, and let's face it, Fire Emblem is the more noteworthy of the two.
Perhaps in the modern day. But revealing a Retro Revival character whose obscurity may make him less known to the general public would probably generate far more discussion (because the point of Direct trailers is to get people talking).

Though while April is the most appropriate time for Takamaru's reveal, I can see him being relegated to other events. He could well be a Secret Character not revealed until post-release, but if the point of bringing back Takamaru is to revive the character and the series, they're going to want to promote that.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just want that troll to just reveal this **** at E3 already if that's his next project. HD Takamaru in a brand new game would make me cry tears of joy like Ukraine.

Yep, that's the right artwork alright. Since it's an animation, it could be part of a commercial.
You're right it is a commercial from back in 1986 I guess if I did more searching I could have found one with just the commercial in it but that was the first video that came to mind when I saw Bingoshi's post.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Having played the game, I'm almost sure they deemed it too difficult for an American audience. Heck, it was too difficult for a lot of the Japanese back then too.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Having played the game, I'm almost sure they deemed it too difficult for an American audience. Heck, it was too difficult for a lot of the Japanese back then too.
Well, Howard Phillips was the one who said that Lost Levels was too difficult for western players. Maybe it's his fault that Mysterious Murasame Castle didn't get released here.

Suddenly, I dislike him.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hey guys I found a remix that I think is really cool and could fit perfectly into Smash Bros. while still keeping that Japanese vibe let me know what you guys think of it.

Be sure to listen to the whole thing too.

Here's the video embedded

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
haha, alrighty then.

but still i do hope he does get into SSB4, his deserves a series revival. And if its done in the hands of Hideki Kamiya of PG, that would be so kick ***!
Okami visuals + MGR sword combat + cool power ups and projectiles + Nintendo/Intelligent Systems' brand quirky humor is a god tier combination.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I strongly doubt we'd see Takamaru revealed in a Nintendo Direct. I think he's much more likely to be one of the later unlockables. Nintendo Directs are generally a worldwide deal, and the last thing they'd want to do is reveal a brand new SSB4 character that leaves most of the audience going "Who?"

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In reply to speculator I think that's exactly right... For American viewers. the last reveal was largely pointed to western audiences. while most Americans will be like "who?" Japanese audiences will be excited because despite it being less popular than kid icarus and Zelda it is still pretty popular in Japan...I think. Who knows you're probably right and i'm probably just being overly optimistic.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Wait, Takamaru has a bigger following outside his home? How ironic.

But let's not deny ourselves than reactions to him on Miiverse will be quite funny. "That's not Goku Sakuria!!!!'", "WHERE'S SHADOW SAKURA!!?!":laugh:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, actually no, ironically there is more interest from a western audience.
Holy crap really? Well I guess we do love or samurai haha. Well do you know who the most requested in Japan if right now? I've been wondering about that for quite some time.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think it's Shulk, but I may be wrong.

Is it wrong "Nazo the Hedgehog" pops up on Google before "Nazo no Murasamejō"?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think it's Shulk, but I may be wrong.

Is it wrong "Nazo the Hedgehog" pops up on Google before "Nazo no Murasamejō"?
Oh well I support Shulk to so that's not so bad. Oh and yes its wrong very wrong lol

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I strongly doubt we'd see Takamaru revealed in a Nintendo Direct. I think he's much more likely to be one of the later unlockables. Nintendo Directs are generally a worldwide deal, and the last thing they'd want to do is reveal a brand new SSB4 character that leaves most of the audience going "Who?"
Considering he has a larger Smash fanbase here than over there, and considering at least the name (especially if they reference Ninja Castle or throwing stars in either the trailer or his moveset), will remind less familiar people of Nintendoland, they can look into it from there.

Aside from that, Japan had alot of reactions like that to Little Mac, especially since PO Wii only got a limited release over there.

And I still wouldn't count on that, because it seems more like a character they'd want to get fans familiar with, and build up a fanbase in the same way he did with WFT. (Not for the same reasons, mind you.) And in addition, Lucas was a starter, and a pre-release reveal for Brawl, despite people in the US having literally no connection or familiarity with the character whatsoever, aside from "Oh, Ness...guy...I guess?"

Speculator

Smash Ace
Considering he has a larger Smash fanbase here than over there, and considering at least the name (especially if they reference Ninja Castle or throwing stars in either the trailer or his moveset), will remind less familiar people of Nintendoland, they can look into it from there.

Aside from that, Japan had alot of reactions like that to Little Mac, especially since PO Wii only got a limited release over there.

And I still wouldn't count on that, because it seems more like a character they'd want to get fans familiar with, and build up a fanbase in the same way he did with WFT. (Not for the same reasons, mind you.) And in addition, Lucas was a starter, and a pre-release reveal for Brawl, despite people in the US having literally no connection or familiarity with the character whatsoever, aside from "Oh, Ness...guy...I guess?"
It's not just about the Smash support base. Takamaru as a character has zero exposure in the West, except a reference by name in Nintendo Land. That, combined with as you say a smaller fanbase in Japan, is what leads me to believe he's more likely as an unlockable.

The dojo reveals were very different to what we're seeing today. We had a dojo update every weekday. Newcomers were shown like any other update. Nintendo Directs are a much bigger deal. What goes into an ND presentation has to be very carefully selected in order to appeal to as many people as they can. I'm sure Takamaru will gain a larger fanbase if he appears in SSB, but to me he seems more in line with characters like ROB or Game & Watch in the way I think he'll be presented.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
It's not just about the Smash support base. Takamaru as a character has zero exposure in the West, except a reference by name in Nintendo Land. That, combined with as you say a smaller fanbase in Japan, is what leads me to believe he's more likely as an unlockable.
"Takamaru as a character has zero exposure in the West"
*coughSamuraiWarriors3cough*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Holy crap really? Well I guess we do love or samurai haha. Well do you know who the most requested in Japan if right now? I've been wondering about that for quite some time.
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
Mewtwo and Roy are their two most wanted newcomers.
Excluding them, they also want Shulk, Palutena, and King K. Rool (Mega Man was also highly wanted). Other characters that Japan wants are Chrom, Zoroark, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Ghirahim, and Black Shadow (and Starfy :().

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"Takamaru as a character has zero exposure in the West"
*coughSamuraiWarriors3cough*
There's that, though sadly most Westerners hate anything Warriors related in general. You should have seen everyone's reaction to Hyrule Warriors when it was revealed in December, very mixed and rarely positive. Then there's the issue of Warriors being more famous on Sony consoles instead of Nintendo consoles hence why the Wii version sadly flopped. At least Nintendo did tried their best to make him more known at the time. Then came Nintendo Land which also flopped since they rarely advertised the Wii U or the game at that time. Nintendo overall really need to do better business practices or heavily advertise something if they want their fans to take them serious.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Nintendo Land's hardly a flop, it's sold nearly 3 million copies. Most of them probably were from being bundled, granted... :urg:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It looks like we're arguing about when and how he'll be announced rather than wondering if his gonna be in at all which shows that there is a lot of hope on this thread.
I personally think he will be revealed in a direct but speculator is right not a lot of people know about him so he may end up being an unlockable character.
The thing about all this is that by popular demand he has to be in Smash Bros. now right.... right?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah I don't think Nintendoland flopped unless you're talking specifically about individually-bundled games, which in this situation don't actually matter as much.

Now, if they were to make Nintendoland 2, which I think is likely, we'll see then whether it flops or not. But most Wii U owners had no reason to buy Nintendoland, because it already came with their console, otherwise I think the individual copies would've sold considerably, especially compared to the other launch titles.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I guess Nintendo Land didn't really 'flop' but it most certainly basically failed at being the next Wii Sports, which I'm sure what Nintendo was trying to push it as.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By the way guys I don't know if this is been brought up yet but who would represent NNMJ as an assist trophy?
I'm thinking Murasame himself what do you guys think?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I don't think there would be an assist trophy. Ice Climber and Kid Icarus didn't get assist trophies in Brawl, because there were not many interesting choices at the time.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
True but I think Murasame would make a killer Assist Trophy.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I could see Murasame as a boss in the games new story mode. As for an assist trophy ... possibly the four Castle Lords. in the original game they are just generic demons, however in SW3 they are each attributed to different elements.
Lord Aosame

• Element: Ice
  • Human form Weapon: Quick Draw Katana
  • Demon Form Weapon: Large Two Handed sword (but able to wield with one hand)
Lord Akasame

• Element: Fire
  • Human form Weapon: Hammer
  • Demon Form Weapon: Large spiked steel club
Lord Ryokusame

• Element: Poison
  • Human form Weapon: twin spears and a serrated sword
  • Demon Form Weapon: twin needle-spiked clubs
Lady Momosame

• Element: Illusion
  • Human form Weapon: Steel claws and throwing bombs
  • Demon Form Weapon: Elongating gauntlets (causes the users arms to stretch)
the assist trophy could be one of those random ability ones, like how Tingle did, or togepi for pokemon.

it summons all 4 demon lords at once, and then one of them will unleash an attack while the other three stand there to watch. Aosame could summon a storm of ice to rain on enemies, akasame could cause fire pillars to shoot up in random places on the stage, Ryokusame could inflict poison, and Momosame could slow things down, while inverting the stage, sort of like on spear pillar in brawl.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
By the way guys I don't know if this is been brought up yet but who would represent NNMJ as an assist trophy?
I'm thinking Murasame himself what do you guys think?
I actually think the generic Ninja enemy should be the NNMJ assist trophy.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Assist Trophy? Definitely the Maiden.

Would completely restore your health, essentially giving you another stock.
Her established name in SW3 is Ayame, and truth be told, she doesn't really do anything. the Maidens in the original game are just for rescuing for points, and Ayame cant really do anything in battle. Her only real role in the re-make in SW3 is that shes a shrine maiden capable of suppressing Murasame's powers through prayer.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, Ayame could STILL make a interesting assist trophy if when summoned she started to pray and made everyone else do less damage while active.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
you could say that as an assist Trophy, she could pray and her prayers could have different effects. Maybe granting mario star status too the summoner, or possibly super mushroom status, or maybe poison mushroom status to enemies and such.

but that said I'd much rather have the Four Castle Lords over Ayame.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
What's interesting to consider about retro characters is that they don't just seem to be arbitrarily added for the sake of having retro characters. In a way, each of them basically represent a piece of old Nintendo hardware.

Obviously, Mr. Game & Watch represents the Game & Watch, Nintendo's first fooray into handhelds. As we all know, the ICs got into Melee because Sakurai wanted to include a character that would represent the NES, or Famicom if you will, console. They were on a list alongside other various one-off NES characters, and Sakurai felt they were the best option. Nintendo's home console business had its roots in the one-off, arcade styled games of the NES such as Ice Climber, so it makes sense why they were added. I see them as representing the NES as a whole, not just Ice Climber. That's my problem with including other NES only characters like Mach Rider and Balloon Fighter, because their inclusion would ultimately make the ICs seem less important.

Now, at first glance, R.O.B and Pit seem like characters that were added to represent the NES console as well, but I don't see it that way. R.O.B., for example, mostly represents the peripheral that ended up saving the video game industry in America, rather than one-off NES games like ICs. As for Pit, something interesting to consider is that Kid Icarus wasn't actually released for the NES when it first came out in Japan (Only America and Europe got it in that format). Rather, KI was exclusive to the Famicom Disk System, the disk-based Famicom peripheral that was the birth place for some of Nintendo's key franchises (Metroid, Legend of Zelda). Argurably, Pit represents (or represented) that more than he does the NES/Famicom itself.

I believe that's where Takamaru comes in. Much like KI, Nazo no Murasame Jō wasn't released on the NES/Famicom, but for the Disk System. With Kid Icarus Uprising, Pit no longer really counts as a retro character, like Little Mac. So, Takamaru could easily come in and take his spot as the FDS representative.

Another interesting thing is that Takamaru is basically to Link as Pit was to Samus. I believe Nazo no Murasame Jō ran on the same engine as Legend of Zelda, like how Kid Icarus ran on the same engine as Metroid. It'd be interesting to see all four franchises reunited in Smash.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo Directs are generally a worldwide deal, and the last thing they'd want to do is reveal a brand new SSB4 character that leaves most of the audience going "Who?"
That's basically what Japanese fans did when they saw Little Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom