• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Especially fitting, too, considering Binding of Isaac has had things like ARGs and other viral marketing in the past. :p

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Okay, can't believe it took me a while to find out there's a NS focused thread. I have already scan over this thread and yeah there will be some time where we are going to argue whether this console is gonna success or not. I don't this really matter. My expectation for this console at the minimum is selling better than the Wii U (Maybe sell around 20 million to 30 million units) I think if this console can sell up to 60 million that can be impressive. Not impossible since Switch is also a handheld.
I'm looking forward to people making custom controller cases for Joycons. 3D printing means it's easier than ever and there's a lot of controllers you could convert.
I mean... we already had someone made a 3D printed NS... so no problem there.

Not gonna lie, that was actually pretty cool.
It does, I'm actually more hyped than Jimmy when I saw it. Some good things were confirmed to be true like it has USB type C port. Screen looks not too shabby. And last but not least, the gameplay for BoTW looks smooth.

Still, I check Youtube and saw a channel I am not gonna put up name saying that Jimmy's reaction on Switch was too fake. Sure he might be exaggerated, but I don't think he's not excited for NS.

One more thing I that I am concern and a bit unusual is that... The NS that was shown already had Joy-Cons attached while there are also Joy-Cons being set on the grip already.

Does this mean the Switch might have two sets of Joy-Cons per bundle? One already being attached on the tablet and one on the grip? Maybe. And people worried that they might lose their Joy-Cons, I think they might sell individual Joy-Cons separately. Just like how Nintendo also sells Wii controllers and other stuff.

Most importantly... one thing I don't know if anyone noticed. We do see gameplay being switch to the system. Neither Jimmy nor Reggie try to take the Joy-Cons out like how we see in the trailers. We are still not sure if it will be easy to take those Joy-Cons out, or how it will work. I just hope those Joy-Cons can be simple to take out and slid in to the system and the grip.

D

Deleted member

Specs for it have been revealed:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

It's confirmed to be Maxwell (X1 variant), which is last gen tech... That's really not good.

Maxwell architecture has a benchmark at 512GFLOPS as I mentioned before, less than 1/3 of the PS4 Vanilla. On top of that, Maxwell has a lot of issues with overheating and energy consumption. I would recommend people avoid the vanilla Switch, and wait for the eventual update (which will likely run Pascal) some years down the line. Switch is running very outdated hardware.

Here's the WiiU for comparison:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...not-the-end-of-the-world-but-not-great-either

According to what they detailed in the video, it's BARELY more powerful than the WiiU docked, and actually LESS powerful undocked.

The Wii U’s GPU core clocks in at 549.999755MHz,
And the specs from the video are:

@8:48
undocked 307.2 MHz
docked 768 MHz

Last edited by a moderator:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
On one hand, I expected it to be underpowered. 250$ won't really buy you 4k.

On the other, what the ****?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Laura confirms:

A bit of info as well. It appears Nintendo is purposely underclocking the X1 in order to compensate for the heat and batter consumption I mentioned last post. So, because of that, when undocked it actually performs WORSE than WiiU does. And Tegra X1, as mentioned before, is only marginally better than the WiiU hardware.

This is NOT good. You can pretty much kiss 3rd party multiplats goodbye with those specs. Sure, it'll get a couple at launch, like WiiU did, but without the hardware, don't expect much in terms of support.

Also, relevant to an observation I made last page:

Told you guys it was running on PC and not to be over-impressed by the graphics.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Laura confirms:

A bit of info as well. It appears Nintendo is purposely underclocking the X1 in order to compensate for the heat and batter consumption I mentioned last post. So, because of that, when undocked it actually performs WORSE than WiiU does. And Tegra X1, as mentioned before, is only marginally better than the WiiU hardware.

This is NOT good. You can pretty much kiss 3rd party multiplats goodbye with those specs. Sure, it'll get a couple at launch, like WiiU did, but without the hardware, don't expect much in terms of support.

Also, relevant to an observation I made last page:

Told you guys it was running on PC and not to be over-impressed by the graphics.
Heard about the Seasons of Heaven thing...I can imagine lots of people being disappointed by that. Here's hoping it still turns out okay.

D

Deleted member

Heard about the Seasons of Heaven thing...I can imagine lots of people being disappointed by that. Here's hoping it still turns out okay.
Also, why are my images not loading? Is the site busted? I tried to upload them directly but it wasn't letting me, and apparently hyperlinking doesn't work either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also, why are my images not loading? Is the site busted? I tried to upload them directly but it wasn't letting me, and apparently hyperlinking doesn't work either.
It worked when I quoted your post and it showed up in the post preview, so that means it's likely the site having an uploader issue.

@Warchamp7 plz fix.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I can deal with the low specs.

Keeps the system cheap so I have something not-too-expensive to play games on the go. Plus, its low power prevents it from imploding, which is nice.

Considering I already have a PS4/PC on the way, I'm not going to use the Switch for too much outside of Nintendo games. I can't imagine how dedicated Nintendo fans feel, though.

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
As long as the Nintendo Switch is affordable, I could not care less about how powerful it is.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was never concerned with power.

I was concerned with being powerful enough.

And this might not be powerful enough. Granted the gap between Xbox One isn't too big but still...

D

Deleted member

I was never concerned with power.

I was concerned with being powerful enough.

And this might not be powerful enough. Granted the gap between Xbox One isn't too big but still...
You kidding?

Gap between the Switch and the XBone is pretty big:

Xbox One is powered by an AMD "Jaguar" Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) with two quad-core modules totaling eight x86-64 cores clocked at 1.75 GHz
More than double in terms of clock speeds in fact. I haven't checked the FLOPS on the GPU, but I imagine it's also quite high. Somewhere around, but right below the PS4
(1.72 TFLOPS).

While we know the Tegra X1 has a benchmark of 512GFLOPS, and if its being underclocked to save battery, it'll be well below that when undocked. Around 40% less if we go by the clock speeds. We already know the clock speeds are below that of the Wii U when unlocked in fact.

They should have gone with Pascal Tbh, this is what they get for refusing to sell it at a loss, and not investing in proper hardware. The Switch gets totally outdone by iPhones and Tablets that are already in the market, before its even come out.

Mod edit: Will explain in a post later.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Emulation is not to be suggested or endorsed here. A post was edited to reflect this.

Carry on.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Well Nintendo you can kiss 3rd party support goodbye after the first year of the Switch's launch.
If true of course.

D

Deleted member

Questions 1 and 4 are worth watching.

EDIT:

Some interesting tidbits:

This is hardware comparable to the Switch leaks. This is what these games would more or less look like on the Switch:

Doom2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpffDBOHwhM
Battlefield1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_UqiGiyX8
Dark Souls III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znX3u9U16wE

So, just because there are rumors of DS3 running on the Switch doesn't mean it's exceptionally powerful. DS3 can run on fairly low end hardware, it can even run on the WiiU in fact. They just choose not to cause it's a hassle to get it to run on that.

For comparison, this is what those games look like on PS4 vanilla:

Doom2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGIZgPNGifo
Battlefield 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJsrd983To
Dark Souls III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nRve2XRUiA

You can see a dramatic difference in lighting, shadows, particle effects, and texture fidelity. As well as the AA on models. And it's PS4 Vanilla, not Pro or PC, which are obviously much better.

Now I know this might not matter to most of you, but it DOES matter to the average consumer. Especially since all those differences are even more noticeable on a very large HD or 4k TV. When it comes to deciding on whether to buy a version of a game on Switch or PS4, what you see here WILL be a deciding factor, which in turn will mean less sales of said games, which will mean devs being unable to turn a profit on said ports (see video above preEDIT), which will mean, a loss of 3rd party support, which will mean decreased console sales, which will mean small install base, and another WiiU scenario.

Also, just some food for thought, THIS is what Nintendo games COULD look like if Nintendo actually made competitive hardware, or went 3rd party and made their IP available on better hardware:

Ocarina of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFx38t4ydY0

Dunno about you, but I would have loved it if BotW looked like the actually footage we saw 3 years ago, rather than what it turned out to be:

Just some food for thought really. This is the cost of outdated and underpowered hardware. It's not just the graphics even, but the capabilities and performance of games as well.

D

Deleted member

As long as the Nintendo Switch is affordable, I could not care less about how powerful it is.
Agreed. As long as the software releases are great and the system is affordable to some extent, I'm good. I don't really care whether it is underpowered or not. I never really did bother with that stuff.

But that's just me.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
The Switch's power is important to me, but not deal breaking considering what role I expect Nintendo to play in my gaming life. I'll still have all the AAA multiplats I care about on PS4, and I feel like most of us people who care that much about those franchises (should) already have a non-Nintendo console. That said, it would nice to see Nintendo get big all the latest and greatest big budget third party games, but at the end of the day their quality first party franchises and occasional third party partnerships/exclusives are going to guarantee I get the Switch.

Again, ideal world, Nintendo would be powerful/competitive af (and in that scenario might potentially dominate the industry again), but Nintendo fills most of a very, very large niche regardless of (or in spite of) system power for many gamers. As long as they deliver the content this time at high enough frequency (which they failed to do with the Wii U as a whole), they can find success, as well as enough attention from third parties, and most importantly, the consumers.

Sooo T-minus 2 weeks until the big event. What is everyone's (expectations in check, realistic) wishlist?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Realistically, what I'm looking forward to is more information about the new Super Mario game. It's probably the confirmed Switch title I'm most looking forward to.

Idealistically, I'd like information on the Smash port, Pokémon Stars, and an announcement of a new Punch-Out!! game.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
BotW is the currently confirmed Switch title I'm most looking forward to, but I'm highly curious about Mario also (more 64/Sunshine like and less 3D World like please). After that, Yooka-Laylee (I'm a Wii U version backer waiting for details).

As a T.O., I'm extremely excited about the possibility of having both Melee and Smash 4 on one console. Equipment wise, the very thought is an organizer's dream, and will be great for both communities growing new players as well as veteran player crossovers.

For (realistic) new games I want in 2017, the Animal Crossing to triumph over all other Animal Crossings. Also looking forward to Pikmin 4. and

Dreaming big on the horizon, I want Golden Sun 4, Metroid Prime 4, and a fully 3D world Mother 4 (a la inFAMOUS), and Kid Icarus 4. Yeah, not intentional, but all the big Nintendo games on my wishlist are 4quels.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The games I'm looking forward to most are Sonic 2017, BotW and the Mario game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Are we making wishlists now? Cool. I had one thought of just now.

Super Mario Terra
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: K. Rool's Kunning Komeback!
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pokemon Stars
Pokemon Stadium X
F-Zero: Resurrection
Advance Wars: Switch Wars
Golden Sun: Secrets of the Ancient Temple
Startropics: The New Adventure
Smash Bros Port with 7 (additional characters)
Mario Kart Port (with extra content)
Megaman Legends 3
Final Fantasy 15 Port
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Port
Tekken 7 Port
Mortal Kombat X Port

Last edited:

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of Pokémon titles will be featured on the Switch...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think the switch being a handheld is enough to keep the japanese 3rd party developers on board, they never seemed to really leave the 3ds. Not so sure about the western ones, though.
Fusing the home console and handheld base is a good idea. I don't feel like they'll succeed with a standalone home console anymore. This was right way to go. Shame it's underpowered, but if it has the software and it's affordable, fine by me.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I see and read for something rumors for a crossover game with Mario and Raving Rabbits for Nintendo Switch. Is possible that rumors is real?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see and read for something rumors for a crossover game with Mario and Raving Rabbits for Nintendo Switch. Is possible that rumors is real?
It's possible.

A lot of sources apparently support it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Really looking forward to the Switch presentation!

My one and only hope is confirmation of a BoTW release date.

Other than that, I'm ready for anything.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If BotW did make the March release (if only in NA cos selfishness) that would put a big dumb smile on my face. Looking forward to that one more than any 3D Mario or Rabbid concoction.

Also I hope we find out what Retro has been working on. I have to imagine it's in a state it can be shown, the only question imo is whether they want to hold onto it for E3.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey this is stickied now.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Remember Page 1 of this thread when we all thought the Switch was Holiday 2016-bound?

Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Remember Page 1 of this thread when we all thought the Switch was Holiday 2016-bound?

To be fair, we were only three months off. :p

I still remember the "E3 2012 will have the first Smash 4 trailer" days. :laugh:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be fair, we were only three months off. :p

I still remember the "E3 2012 will have the first Smash 4 trailer" days. :laugh:
More like 4 considering pretty much every system comes out in November.

Yeah, I was one of those people. Was really disappointed to know that we wouldn't see anything from the game but I guess that was to to be expected since it only started development 3-4 months before that E3.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to post the titles I'm interested in the most right now once again.

Assuming these are available during launch:

- Super Mario (temp.)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (I had thought about getting it on Wii U at first, but I changed my mind about it.)
- Splatoon (temp.)

Over the course of the year:

- Mario Kart (temp.)
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for Nintendo Switch & Knuckles featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series (with Goku and Shrek being paid DLC) LIMITED ALL-IN-ONE EDITION™
- Project Sonic 2017 (temp.) (if it's actually decent, because I'm very skeptical about that.)

The game I'm the most looking forward to is the new Super Mario game. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh hey this is stickied now.

I feel so undeservedly accomplished. xP

I'm sure I've no memory of this fiction you're spreading. :p

Yeah.... I was pretty sure it was going to be 2016. To the point of being a ***** about it, lol. And fwiw, I very much still believe it was intended to be. But that's just what they were... intentions. If it was truly delayed to provide a better launch-window array of games, I won't argue that it wasn't well warranted.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah.... I was pretty sure it was going to be 2016. To the point of being a ***** about it, lol. And fwiw, I very much still believe it was intended to be. But that's just what they were... intentions. If it was truly delayed to provide a better launch-window array of games, I won't argue that it wasn't well warranted.
Pretty much all of us were in the mentality of the Switch being a 2016 console so I don't think you were alone in that lol.

I for one hope there's going to be an influx of games coming out both in the Switch's launch year as well as 2018 and 2019. More so first party games because third party games don't excite me as much with the exception of some series.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought 2017 and was right. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I was expecting it to release in 2017 and that ended up being true.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I actually thought the console was going to be launched in 2017 back when it was first revealed in 2015. Towards the end of that year and early 2016 I changed my mind when I heard ramblings about how the console could be launched in the holiday season and that's what swayed me though TBH I was expecting a Holiday 2017 launch and not a March launch.

Top Bottom