• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

I don't think it was stated it will only be for the PS4 no matter what. But currently, it has no other system announcements.

The amount of Switch shipped worldwide is an issue, but we already saw some new stuff. It's not all ports so far, so that's irrelevant. It does have way too much put into port-related stuff, but it clearly has a lot of good stuff. I don't see it failing to sell well since it doesn't lack anything particular, like the Wii U did. The price isn't shown to be crap. The controllers are definitely way better. The actual games shown off alone are pretty good and easy sells. I think there's too much doomsaying for it right now. That said, there is always the chance it could go poorly, but I'd say the lack of how many consoles being shipped is its only real weakness. It does not lack 3rd party support or advertising at this time.

It definitely looks far better than the Wii U did. It already has shown to have a good roster of games, not overly gimmicky, and most importantly, 3rd party support.

The only thing actually looking bad is the battery power. The rest? I don't see any problems with how they're showing it off.
The lack of marketing is also a really bad thing. It's gonna be very hard to gain traction with just two months to spare. I have no doubt the initial 2 million units will sell out quickly, Nintendo still has a core audience of 13 million people who bought the Wii U, and at least half of those will undoubtedly buy a Switch sooner or later I'd say. But it's what happens AFTER those initial 2 million that sell out that really matters then. All of the console's weaknesses will be spread through word of mouth, as well as its strengths too, but issues like low battery life, weak library, tiny controllers, etc... will only become more vocal if they aren't addressed properly. Likewise, if the console is massively underpowered, proper specs for the thing will be known to public by then, which would likely dissuade more people from jumping in.

We'll see. January will give us more news. But like I said, what we know as of now isn't sounding too hot. Once more details pop in it'll be easier to give a more accurate assessment, the 3rd party support and line up at launch will be the biggest indicator on developer confidence on the Switch. Remember the WiiU also had a lot of promised 3rd party support prior to launch, most of the pledgers delivered with ports of old games, and then jumped ship when the console performed poorly.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A lot of things. If one would only look at Nintendo's track record with consoles id think it would be pretty obvious there is a lot against it.
Only consoles that were straight up failures were the Wii U and the Virtual Boy.

Everything else has had varying degrees of financial success.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A lot of things. one would just look at Nintendo's track record with consoles id think it would be pretty obvious there is a lot against it.
Track records don't mean much alone. Especially when the reasons they failed don't exist any longer. Also, only the Wii U really "failed" by any means. They have a pretty good track record overall. The Gamecube did immensely well and the issues coming from hardware not being up to snuff, which is clearly fixed now. The n64 was the same problem, but again, that's no longer an issue. It does not lack 3rd party support at all either, probably their biggest downfall of all time. They literally showed the tons of 3rd parties supporting them. They already removed the key two problems that affected their past systems. Also, the NES and SNES were extreme successes. Only the Virtual Boy even remotely failed of their systems closer to a "handheld"(as in not using a regular TV screen at all).

As Swamp said, only the Wii U and Virtual Boy were legitimate failures overall. I won't pretend that some of their systems feel lacking at times, of course.

The lack of marketing is also a really bad thing. It's gonna be very hard to gain traction with just two months to spare. I have no doubt the initial 2 million units will sell out quickly, Nintendo still has a core audience of 13 million people who bought the Wii U, and at least half of those will undoubtedly buy a Switch sooner or later I'd say. But it's what happens AFTER those initial 2 million that sell out that really matters then. All of the console's weaknesses will be spread through word of mouth, as well as its strengths too, but issues like low battery life, weak library, tiny controllers, etc... will only become more vocal if they aren't addressed properly. Likewise, if the console is massively underpowered, proper specs for the thing will be known to public by then, which would likely dissuade more people from jumping in.

We'll see. January will give us more news. But like I said, what we know as of now isn't sounding too hot. Once more details pop in it'll be easier to give a more accurate assessment, the 3rd party support and line up at launch will be the biggest indicator on developer confidence on the Switch. Remember the WiiU also had a lot of promised 3rd party support prior to launch, most of the pledgers delivered with ports of old games, and then jumped ship when the console performed poorly.
They can't really market it yet. The system won't be out at Christmas, so it makes sense to wait till after Christmas. They need to heavily market their holiday stuff first, then concentrate on the Switch after when people will have the time and money to save while being hyped up. If they cut into Holiday sales by making people want the Switch more than anything, well... self explanatory. I think they're marketing it the smartest right now.

Agreed entirely about the 2 million units problem, though. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Just like it did with the Wii and Wii U. Never underproduce stuff. At the very least, it shouldn't be an issue like it was with the Gamepad being necessary for everything and costing too damn much to make(to the point they couldn't even sell the thing to us. It's recommended to get anew console instead of paying to get the Gamepad replaced. ._.;)

Last edited:

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
Track records don't mean much alone. Especially when the reasons they failed don't exist any longer. Also, only the Wii U really "failed" by any means. They have a pretty good track record overall. The Gamecube did immensely well and the issues coming from hardware not being up to snuff, which is clearly fixed now. The n64 was the same problem, but again, that's no longer an issue. It does not lack 3rd party support at all either, probably their biggest downfall of all time. They literally showed the tons of 3rd parties supporting them. They already removed the key two problems that affected their past systems. Also, the NES and SNES were extreme successes. Only the Virtual Boy even remotely failed of their systems closer to a "handheld"(as in not using a regular TV screen at all).

As Swamp said, only the Wii U and Virtual Boy were legitimate failures overall. I won't pretend that some of their systems feel lacking at times, of course.

They can't really market it yet. The system won't be out at Christmas, so it makes sense to wait till after Christmas. They need to heavily market their holiday stuff first, then concentrate on the Switch after when people will have the time and money to save while being hyped up. If they cut into Holiday sales by making people want the Switch more than anything, well... self explanatory. I think they're marketing it the smartest right now.

Agreed entirely about the 2 million units problem, though. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Just like it did with the Wii and Wii U. Never underproduce stuff. At the very least, it shouldn't be an issue like it was with the Gamepad being necessary for everything and costing too damn much to make(to the point they couldn't even sell the thing to us. It's recommended to get anew console instead of paying to get the Gamepad replaced. ._.;)

Well by failure i mean it will stay behind the competition. And the track record isn't the only thing supporting this. I just brought it up to show that history has favored it. So i wouldn't expect Nintendo to magically succeed when they couldn't for several console generations. Especially when there is nothing that suggests they will blow away the competition.

Now about the third parties. I don't know about you but last time i checked third party games don't sell well on Nintendo consoles. The only games that sell on Nintendo consoles these past generation of consoles are Nintendo exclusives.
If the system isn't on par with the current gen of consoles gaming (which according to what i've heard it it isn't) it wont get much third party games to begin with.

Now i don't even believe half the devs saying they will support the switch anyway. Obviously they are just saying that. They wont commit to anything unless the switch really is a success. Why would they actually make games for a company that has made several failing consoles in a row? It wouldn't be a wise business decision nor would it be practical.

Catering to gaming on the go (something that smart phone and tablets have replaced) isn't gonna save it either. Even the 3ds is being overtaken by smart phones and tablets. It hasn't even sold half as much as the DS and its had plenty of time to catch up. Don't even get me started on this ridiculous notion that grown adults would be anti social rejects in order to go outside to play games, while on the basketball court and walking their dog. Now i can see a kid doing that but not a grown man let alone women. Looking into the past and using reasoning points to it failing.

Honestly it seems Nintendo has dug themselves too deep, they just need to move on from consoles. Unless they give us a normal console and stop with the gimmicks.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well by failure i mean it will stay behind the competition And the track record isn't the only thing supporting this. I just brought it up to show that history has favored it. So i wouldn't expect Nintendo to magically succeed when the couldn't for several console generations.

Now about the third parties. I don't know about you but last time i checked third party games don't sell well on Nintendo consoles. The only games that sell on nintendo consoles these past generation of consoles are NIntendo exclusives.
If the system isn't on par with the current gen of consoles gaming (which according to what i've heard it it isn't) it wont get much third party games to begin with.

Now i dont even believe half the dev's saying they will support the switch anyway. Obviously they are just saying that but wont do anything unless the switch really is a success. Why would they actually make games for a company that has failed so much?

Catering to gaming on the go (something that smart phone and tablets have replaced) isn't gonna save it either. Even the 3ds is being overtaken by smart phones and tablets. It hasn't even sold half as much as the DS and its had plenty of time to catch up. Don't even get me started on this ridiculous notion that grown adults would be anti social rejects in order to go outside to play games while on the basketball court and walking thier dog. Now i can see a kid doing that.

Honestly Nintendo has dug themselves too deep, they just need to move on from consoles.
They support the Switch because it actually gives them the hardware they want as well as an easy to use controller with proper options.

In addition, the word failure is being used wrong still. Nintendo completely owned the generation with the Wii. Like, hardcore. That was their big one. They also owned the NES and SNES generations without a doubt. This whole "failure" thing is vastly inaccurate. They only failed this current Gen due to the Wii U having way too many issues. Also, we've already seen some major 3rd party support and games for it. So it's pretty clear they want in.

This whole idea that "3rd parties barely sold" is false too. You're going to need some pretty big statistics on that one. I won't pretend that issues have come up too, but there's a reason why the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii were successes, as was every handheld system(bar Virtual Boy, if you count it as one). They had tons of games, pretty good 3rd party support, and great innovation. The Wii U is their only latest console that failed to do anything spectacular for gamers. Even its own Smash Bros. game was more popular on the 3DS(the sales numbers aren't super far apart, mind you, but the 3DS also didn't sell double the Wii U version's either).

So I'm not seeing any of this as realistic. The only real one to base it upon is one legitimate failure as of late, the Wii U. Their track record, again, is vastly amazing. And the only two issues, again, were 3rd party support, which has been confirmed to be huge this time around, and advertising, which they are doing vastly well on right now. Now, as noted, they took a break from marketing it a bit(to make sure their Holiday stuff sells well without people putting away their money to wait on the Switch), but so far it's generated immense hype when it didn't even directly announce a single game(in fact, not many Switch games are even announced at this time. We don't know if some of those are all new games using old engines or actual enhanced ports. Nobody does yet, bar Nintendo and any people who leaked stuff who actually knows the facts).

D

Deleted member

Actually, the Wii, while a commercial success, did a lot to damage Nintendo's reputation, and it had an awful retention rate. Now while I wouldn't call it a failure persay, I also wouldn't tout it as a revolutionary success, as the Wii burned very fast, and most of its success came from outside the industry. It lacked consistency. Here, check this out, I looked this up during our convo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

I'll list them by company to make sense of it.

Nintendo:
NES - 62 mil
SNES - 49 mil
N64 - 33 mil
Gamecube - 22 mil
Wii - 102 mil
WiiU - 13 mil

GB - 119 mil
GBA - 82 mil
DS - 159 mil
3DS - 62 mil

SEGA:
Master System - 13 mil
Genesis - 31 mil
Saturn - 9 mil
Dreamcast - 9 mil

Sony:
Playstation - 102 mil
PS2 - >155 mil
PS3 - >84 mil
PS4 - 47 mil

PSP - 82 mil
Vita - 13 mil

Microsoft:
Xbox - 24 mil
Xbox 360 - 84 mil
Xbone - >10 mil

Total:
Gen :
3 - >75 mil
4 - >80 mil
5 - >263 mil
6 - >292 mil
7 - >511 mil
8 - >145 mil

Obviously the drop in Gen 8 is because the gen isn't finished yet, and because PC has begun to compete with the console market. Moreover, Gen 7 is inflated by the Wii drawing in a surge of nongamers into the industry, all of which disappeared when the fad of the Wii faded away. Regardless we can make quite a few informative observations from this data. First off, let's remove the outlier that is the Wii on Nintendo to get a better look at trends, and this is fair since the success of the Wii, unlike the PS and PS2 was non-retentive. For starters, you can see that Sony consoles, since they entered the market, have dominated the industry. Handhelds aside, Nintendo's greatest years don't even match Sony's worst (the current one) and I think it's safe to say that the PS4 will eventually outsell the SNES, and probably the NES too. Only Nintendo handhelds match the sales of Sony handhelds.

On Nintendo, we can see a generally downward trend on both handhelds and consoles, though it's more notable on the console side.

We can see that each generation, the industry has been growing linearly, more or less doubling every two gens, and again that each gen has been a downward trend for Nintendo, while Sony has stayed a dominant force. We can see that in Gen 6, the PS2 sold the best (obviously), but more notably that the Gamecube and Xbox performed on par. In addition we can see that Microsoft has been a poor competitor all around, only keeping up with Sony in Gen 7. This gen being their worst as they were outsold by even the WiiU. Microsoft's trends are very comparable to Sega's who only managed to keep up with Nintendo during Gen 4. We can see that Nintendo's strongest market is the handheld market, where they match Sony's overall sales, and more importantly is what keeps Nintendo ahead of the competition in most cases (Gen 6 being the exception), however, it should be noted that this market is very quickly dwindling and being cannibalized by the mobile/tablet market (as I've shown before). The Vita died, and the 3DS had to be resurrected in order to succeed. It's doubtful that it will stay around for much longer.

Also, it's funny to note how Gen 7 was the absolute best Nintendo has EVER had. Which certainly explains their obsession with gimmicks, as both of those consoles were the most gimmicky. However, this is becoming their downfall, as they should learn that the audience that's drawn to fads and trends are very fickle, and don't stick around, which is opposite to what Sony has done in the industry. Which is push it forward and into the mainstream in order to help it grow steadily.

Anyway, what conclusions can we draw from this data? Quite a few in fact. I think it's fair to say that Wii levels of success will never happen for Nintendo again, especially since they drew from outside the industry, and more importantly, that they'll never steal the thunder from Sony again, as they struggle to compete, and don't bother to appeal to the same audience as them (gamers). In a constantly increasing industry, we see Nintendo get an even smaller piece of the pie each time, and eventually they're gonna get pushed out of the dinner table. What happens there, remains to be seen, but with PC becoming a more dominant force on the scene, and the competition looking like it's gonna be more PC vs Sony in the coming gens it's gonna be hard for Nintendo to stay relevant, if at all. I'll stick to my previous prediction that Nintendo's gonna need to tap into the mobile/tablet market in order to stay relevant. With the trends as I see them, I don't see them standing out much longer if they keep their current strategies. Nintendo would need to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft and make a high end console that has tons of 3rd party support otherwise, either that, or capitalize on VR at the start of Gen 9, but even then, analysts are predicting that consoles will eventually be phased out, sooner rather than later too, so I guess we'll see, The industry is certainly changing, and by 2020, I think we can come to expect something very different. All that taken into account, I do believe the Switch might be Nintendo's last console, if not one of their last, either cause they get pushed out of the table, or because the industry model no longer supports dedicated gaming consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
They support the Switch because it actually gives them the hardware they want as well as an easy to use controller with proper options.

In addition, the word failure is being used wrong still. Nintendo completely owned the generation with the Wii. Like, hardcore. That was their big one. They also owned the NES and SNES generations without a doubt. This whole "failure" thing is vastly inaccurate. They only failed this current Gen due to the Wii U having way too many issues. Also, we've already seen some major 3rd party support and games for it. So it's pretty clear they want in.

This whole idea that "3rd parties barely sold" is false too. You're going to need some pretty big statistics on that one. I won't pretend that issues have come up too, but there's a reason why the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii were successes, as was every handheld system(bar Virtual Boy, if you count it as one). They had tons of games, pretty good 3rd party support, and great innovation. The Wii U is their only latest console that failed to do anything spectacular for gamers. Even its own Smash Bros. game was more popular on the 3DS(the sales numbers aren't super far apart, mind you, but the 3DS also didn't sell double the Wii U version's either).

So I'm not seeing any of this as realistic. The only real one to base it upon is one legitimate failure as of late, the Wii U. Their track record, again, is vastly amazing. And the only two issues, again, were 3rd party support, which has been confirmed to be huge this time around, and advertising, which they are doing vastly well on right now. Now, as noted, they took a break from marketing it a bit(to make sure their Holiday stuff sells well without people putting away their money to wait on the Switch), but so far it's generated immense hype when it didn't even directly announce a single game(in fact, not many Switch games are even announced at this time. We don't know if some of those are all new games using old engines or actual enhanced ports. Nobody does yet, bar Nintendo and any people who leaked stuff who actually knows the facts).
How do you know why the "support" it? Ill just let you have that seeing as how its not derived from logic but more so positive assumption. The same thing happened with the Wii U and look how that turned out.

The only legit success was the SNES. NES was a monopoly there wasn't even any competition, and the Wii was just luck. Not to mention it eventually died due to game droughts, regardless of how much it sold. It had lots of half assed 3rd party games too. Most people played it only for the Nintendo exclusives. As you can see if you look up the game sales on the Wii around 2011 or so you can see the decline in games let alone 3rd party ones. Wii is honestly a huge fluke lets not kid ourselves. It sold yeah but that's not because it was the best console out there at the times. And it was only because of the casual market that is long gone now, buying it for the motion gimmick. The SNES also didn't own or destroy the competition it just so happend to win in the end. All this can be looked up.

Look up the sales of 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles vs their first party sales, especially on the Wii U, and that will end the debate on that. I won't argue any facts.

I know some people are too blinded by optimism to see facts or even consider that things won't turn out the way they want or belive, so i wont argue anything else about this you. I do suggest you look up the information though.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How do you know why the "support" it? Ill just let you have that seeing as how its not derived from logic but more so positive assumption. The same thing happened with the Wii U and look how that turned out.

The only legit success was the SNES. NES was a monopoly there wasn't even any competition, and the Wii was just luck. Not to mention it eventually died due to game droughts, regardless of how much it sold. It had lots of half ***** 3rd party games too. Most people played it only for the Nintendo exclusives. As you can see if you look up the game sales on the Wii around 2011 or so you can see the decline in games let alone 3rd party ones. Wii is honestly a huge fluke lets not kid ourselves. It sold yeah but that's not because it was the best console out there at the times. And it was only because of the casual market that is long gone now, buying it for the motion gimmick. The SNES also didn't own or destroy the competition it just so happend to win in the end. All this can be looked up.

Look up the sales of 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles vs their first party sales, especially on the Wii U, and that will end the debate on that. I won't argue any facts.

I know some people are too blinded by optimism to see facts or even consider that things won't turn out the way they want or belive, so i wont argue anything else about this you. I do suggest you look up the information though.
Yo, was that last line even necessary? I mean, yeah people can be too optimistic, but people can be too pessimistic as well.

Especially when you imply the other person is too optimistic to see facts, when she's just interpreting them differently.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

The only legit success was the SNES. NES was a monopoly there wasn't even any competition, and the Wii was just luck. Not to mention it eventually died due to game droughts, regardless of how much it sold. It had lots of half ***** 3rd party games too. Most people played it only for the Nintendo exclusives. As you can see if you look up the game sales on the Wii around 2011 or so you can see the decline in games let alone 3rd party ones. Wii is honestly a huge fluke lets not kid ourselves. It sold yeah but that's not because it was the best console out there at the times. And it was only because of the casual market that is long gone now, buying it for the motion gimmick. The SNES also didn't own or destroy the competition it just so happend to win in the end. All this can be looked up.

It's pretty obvious to anyone why they bothered to support it. It's clearly an easy system to make games for. That's not rocket science. If you look at the released 3rd party support companies, there's well over 20 of them. It's no coincidence.

The NES did have competition, though. It wasn't the only system out at the time. There was one of the Atari ones(I forget which one at the time). The SNES had to compete with the Megadrive specifically. NES wasn't anywhere near a monopoly, and it just happened to have the best stuff at the time. It also was out around the same time as the Sega Master System, the MSX, and the Commodore 64. So yes, it had competition. It blatantly won due to being the best of the best at the time. That happens sometimes. Don't forget the Arcades which were major still at the time. The SNES absolutely owned the competition here.

There was no luck whatsoever involved with the Wii. It's no coincidence that Microsoft and Sony tried to create a similar option for their consoles. It didn't work well for either of them because they failed to playtest it or have an affordable price. The Kinect was vastly overpriced(and barely had any good games) and the Move didn't take off at all. The Wii absolutely was the top one of its generation. And it's no surprise too. It actually created an all new way to play that was extremely successful. There's no reason to downplay how successful most of Nintendo's consoles were(as in, all but the Wii U and Virtual Boy, if we include handhelds too).

In addition, the n64 didn't do as well due to being underpowered and being unable to handle what was popular at the time, huge graphics and cutscenes. The PSX easily outdid it, not to say the n64 did poorly at all, since it was still a huge success. The PSX just did better. But again, rpg's with proper cutscenes and huge stories were huge too. What'd you expect? Also, the Sega Saturn just... failed more than anything else. Dreamcast of course brought it back up during the Gamecube/PS2 era, but not enough to win either.

This whole idea they should go 3rd party really doesn't make sense, though. They've done nothing to suggest they're better off doing that. They make consoles, of which almost all are successful. This is why Sega went out. The Dreamcast was barely successful at all, and the Saturn went horribly overall. The Master System did okay, but the Megadrive was their only big seller.

@ManlySpirit: I'd say the fact that the Wii had more sales than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3 according to your data is relevant too. I'd say it was the top success of the generation. I do agree it had issues, but unfortunately the Kinect nor Move(or fortunately, depending how you looked at it) did nothing to really capitalize on the new gimmick that made people happy. The Wii still was highly successfully, regardless. The Wii Remote Plus also mattered quite a bit later on. Albeit, not all the new games used it well enough to matter. It's true it did burn out later, but still succeeded heavily in the long run.

It's pretty clear that they couldn't bring it back with the Wii U due to refusing to properly advertise it, giving it a new unique name, making it accessible to developers better, and last but not least, being vastly underpowered compared to the other systems of that Generation.

BTW, do you have the Game Gear's and other handheld sales on-hand? They're notable too, since while it's true Nintendo is most successful in the handheld department(they dominate it, despite clearly having competition), I do wonder how it's doing. Also, thank you for providing that sales data. :)

---------------------------

Separate Mod thing to say; Don't be condescending to other users. This is heavily disrespectful. One and only warning. This also includes talking down to others, as it's the same thing problem. I am not afraid to hand out Warnings and Infractions. Posts before this doing that will not get a Warning or Infraction(unless you purposely edit it in, so please don't and be respectful of this).

Should go without saying if you wish to speak about what I said as a Mod, PM me instead. Do not continue it on this thread.

D

Deleted member

It's pretty obvious to anyone why they bothered to support it. It's clearly an easy system to make games for. That's not rocket science. If you look at the released 3rd party support companies, there's well over 20 of them. It's no coincidence.

The NES did have competition, though. It wasn't the only system out at the time. There was one of the Atari ones(I forget which one at the time). The SNES had to compete with the Megadrive specifically. NES wasn't anywhere near a monopoly, and it just happened to have the best stuff at the time. It also was out around the same time as the Sega Master System, the MSX, and the Commodore 64. So yes, it had competition. It blatantly won due to being the best of the best at the time. That happens sometimes. Don't forget the Arcades which were major still at the time. The SNES absolutely owned the competition here.

There was no luck whatsoever involved with the Wii. It's no coincidence that Microsoft and Sony tried to create a similar option for their consoles. It didn't work well for either of them because they failed to playtest it or have an affordable price. The Kinect was vastly overpriced(and barely had any good games) and the Move didn't take off at all. The Wii absolutely was the top one of its generation. And it's no surprise too. It actually created an all new way to play that was extremely successful. There's no reason to downplay how successful most of Nintendo's consoles were(as in, all but the Wii U and Virtual Boy, if we include handhelds too).

In addition, the n64 didn't do as well due to being underpowered and being unable to handle what was popular at the time, huge graphics and cutscenes. The PSX easily outdid it, not to say the n64 did poorly at all, since it was still a huge success. The PSX just did better. But again, rpg's with proper cutscenes and huge stories were huge too. What'd you expect? Also, the Sega Saturn just... failed more than anything else. Dreamcast of course brought it back up during the Gamecube/PS2 era, but not enough to win either.

This whole idea they should go 3rd party really doesn't make sense, though. They've done nothing to suggest they're better off doing that. They make consoles, of which almost all are successful. This is why Sega went out. The Dreamcast was barely successful at all, and the Saturn went horribly overall. The Master System did okay, but the Megadrive was their only big seller.

@ManlySpirit: I'd say the fact that the Wii had more sales than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3 according to your data is relevant too. I'd say it was the top success of the generation. I do agree it had issues, but unfortunately the Kinect nor Move(or fortunately, depending how you looked at it) did nothing to really capitalize on the new gimmick that made people happy. The Wii still was highly successfully, regardless. The Wii Remote Plus also mattered quite a bit later on. Albeit, not all the new games used it well enough to matter. It's true it did burn out later, but still succeeded heavily in the long run.

It's pretty clear that they couldn't bring it back with the Wii U due to refusing to properly advertise it, giving it a new unique name, making it accessible to developers better, and last but not least, being vastly underpowered compared to the other systems of that Generation.

BTW, do you have the Game Gear's and other handheld sales on-hand? They're notable too, since while it's true Nintendo is most successful in the handheld department(they dominate it, despite clearly having competition), I do wonder how it's doing. Also, thank you for providing that sales data. :)

---------------------------

Separate Mod thing to say; Don't be condescending to other users. This is heavily disrespectful. One and only warning. This also includes talking down to others, as it's the same thing problem. I am not afraid to hand out Warnings and Infractions. Posts before this doing that will not get a Warning or Infraction(unless you purposely edit it in, so please don't and be respectful of this).

Should go without saying if you wish to speak about what I said as a Mod, PM me instead. Do not continue it on this thread.
Sure thing, it's all in the link I posted:

Game Gear sold 10.4 mil, Atari 3600 sold 30 mil, TurboGrafx16 sold 10 mil, and everything under the Dreamcast sold 3 mil or less.

Anyway, like I said, Wii was certainly a commercial success, but I still differentiate it from the rest of the consoles since it was mostly a success with nongamers, and that crowd wasn't retained by it. It's certainly what you would call an outlier, and since measuring its success only among gamers is impossible, it's better just to remove it when making measurements. It's fairly common in statistics to remove outliers in order to get a clearer picture of trends.

No doubt it made Nintendo a lot of money, and influenced a whole generation, but it's easy to see how the Wii skews numbers just by seeing the massive surge added to Gen 7 thanks to it. I'm certain that if we chart the sales into the next gen we'll see the total number of console sales for this Gen be below Gen 7, but above Gen 6, which makes sense, since again, Wii inflated numbers with nongamers, and that crowd is unlikely to return to gaming, at least we can be certain they won't return for the Switch, thus, in order to accurately make predictions with this data, we need to exclude that crowd from the picture.

I think this data shows us something very important in that the WiiU's failure goes beyond bad decision-making with marketing, it shows us a downward trend in Nintendo console sales, and one that will most certainly continue so long as Nintendo refuses to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft. I think the WiiU would have performed much better had it had a proper launch with adeqcuate marketing and a healthy library before the PS4 and Xbone launched, but I think that overall, it still would have been surpassed by the PS4, because that's what we've seen every other gen, and the main reason is that Sony consoles ALWAYS get all the most popular 3rd party games, and that is what's really put Nintendo in their current downward spiral, more than anything else.

Moreover, comparing the overall sales of the WiiU and Xbone really makes me upset that Nintendo axed the WiiU. As seeing how the Xbone has thus far sold LESS than it, makes Nintendo giving up on it like they did totally unjustified. Especially since the WiiU would have caught on as a secondary console had it continued to get support, and price cuts (which it never got). The WiiU could have easily reached 20+ mil like the Gamecube by the end of the generation (which is imo what Nintendo should strive for with their current strategies). Microsoft is still trying with the Xbone, and they're still pushing their brand in a way that's fair to consumers. By the end of the gen, the way I see it, the lifetime sales of the Xbone will be what the WiiU could have ended up with if Nintendo hadn't given up on it, because I can certainly see the Xbone picking up in sales going forward. It'll never surpass the PS4 imo, but it will certainly stand its ground.

My prediction for the Switch is that it'll fall somewhere between the 3DS and WiiU in sales. Around 20-30 mil. It won't sell as much as the 3DS, as the 3DS has shown us the peak number of sales in the dying handheld market. And in no way is the Switch going to match its more powerful console competitors in terms of sales. It also won't do as poorly or worse than the WiiU imo, I'm very doubtful it will in fact, as the WiiU did as poor as it did because the circumstance of its launch were the absolute worst, plus, the boost from the handheld industry is gonna help increase Switch sales.

Again, 20-30 mil lifetime I say. Which still, isn't all that amazing tbh, which again, makes me feel like axing the WiiU was no only unjustified, but incredibly stupid, as it could have reached that many sales by the end of the generation, and it would have have wound up being a fairly sweet console with a solid library, rather than an underwhelming machine that managed to piss off a lot of fans. That's how I feel about it at least.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
User was warned for this post
Too much arguing for me to make a full reply, but...

lol @ look up information from the person saying the NES wasn't a success because it monopolized the market
what is economics

also the wii was entirely successful in what it set out to do, which is be that thing your mom wants to buy. There are a bunch of negatives about it, and a fluke maybe, but one can't say it wasn't marketed well and highly successful.

Also fwiw FF7 isn't exclusive to the PS4, they just havent announced other consoles yet. If it was exclusive you can bet Sony be'd yelling it from the rooftops.

D

Deleted member

lol @ look up information from the person saying the NES wasn't a success because it monopolized the market
what is economics

also the wii was entirely successful in what it set out to do, which is be that thing your mom wants to buy. There are a bunch of negatives about it, and a fluke maybe, but one can't say it wasn't marketed well and highly successful.

Also fwiw FF7 isn't exclusive to the PS4, they just havent announced other consoles yet. If it was exclusive you can bet Sony be'd yelling it from the rooftops.
Who's saying the NES wasn't a success? Who's saying the Wii wasn't a success?

All I'm saying the data for the Wii is an outlier, and can't be used going forward to make predictions. Remove the Wii from the graph, and you have a clear downward trend:

Compare this to the other companies and you don't quite see this happening.

On the NES, no doubt it was a success, it doubled the sales of the Atari 2600, which popularized console gaming, 62mil might be less than the Sony consoles, but numbers have to be contextualized, back when the NES came out the industry was a lot smaller, so 62mil for that time is pretty crazy. Still, I think by contrast it should be easy to see how crazy it is for Sony to be consistently be hitting an average of 100mil each gen (PS4 remains to be seen still, but it IS halfway into its cycle, I'd say it'll easily get to 60mil), and what this means for Nintendo as a whole. It's fair to say that the industry has expanded in large part thanks to Sony's Playstation brand, and it establishing itself as a multimedia machine for the living room, not just a gaming console. You can see the jump in total console sales right after the Playstation entered the market, it jumps again with the Wii, but then it drops back down, as, I've said before, the Wii's casual soccer mom audience was non-retentive. They're never coming back, and they were never gonna stay in the first place.

As for FFVIIR, I guess so, but since we have no announcements nor credible rumors that it's coming to Nintendo consoles, it's definitely a stretch that it would come to Switch. Hell, I doubt we'll ever see another mainline FF game ever come back to Nintendo consoles so long as Nintendo's machines are underpowered, SE are the biggest of graphics whores out there, and I doubt the Switch would be able to properly run FFVIIR, hell, I doubt it would even run FFXV. Nothing running a Tegra chip would do too well with current gen SE games. People like to tout Skyrim as proof that the Switch is powerful, but Skyrim is a 5 year old game now, and the remaster looks WORSE than the PC version from 5 years ago on max settings. It's nothing but a marketing cashgrab on Bethesda's part. I wouldn't hold my breath for any mainline FF games for Switch, when they SE says they'll pledge games for Switch, they likely mean DQ and the like, which... is confirmed as some of those are launch titles for the Switch.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's fair to say that the industry has expanded in large part thanks to Sony's Playstation brand, and it establishing itself as a multimedia machine for the living room, not just a gaming console.
Not to mention that Sony had the flexibility and looser publishing restrictions of a Sega console without the headache of working with Sega. There's a reason why the PS1 kicked the N64 in the teeth long before Sony starting touting it as a "multimedia machine." Which, to be fair, they never really have. Sure, PS consoles have a lot of features but a vast majority of the advertising puts the games at the forefront.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Reprimanded in my own thread. OH THE SHAME!!

Perhaps I should've written a long-winded, passive-aggressive post instead. xD

All I'm saying the data for the Wii is an outlier, and can't be used going forward to make predictions. Remove the Wii from the graph, and you have a clear downward trend:

On the NES, no doubt it was a success, it doubled the sales of the Atari 2600, which popularized console gaming, 62mil might be less than the Sony consoles, but numbers have to be contextualized, back when the NES came out the industry was a lot smaller, so 62mil for that time is pretty crazy. Still, I think by contrast it should be easy to see how crazy it is for Sony to be consistently be hitting an average of 100mil each gen (PS4 remains to be seen still, but it IS halfway into its cycle, I'd say it'll easily get to 60mil), and what this means for Nintendo as a whole. It's fair to say that the industry has expanded in large part thanks to Sony's Playstation brand, and it establishing itself as a multimedia machine for the living room, not just a gaming console. You can see the jump in total console sales right after the Playstation entered the market, it jumps again with the Wii, but then it drops back down, as, I've said before, the Wii's casual soccer mom audience was non-retentive. They're never coming back, and they were never gonna stay in the first place.

As for FFVIIR, I guess so, but since we have no announcements nor credible rumors that it's coming to Nintendo consoles, it's definitely a stretch that it would come to Switch. Hell, I doubt we'll ever see another mainline FF game ever come back to Nintendo consoles so long as Nintendo's machines are underpowered, SE are the biggest of graphics whores out there, and I doubt the Switch would be able to properly run FFVIIR, hell, I doubt it would even run FFXV. Nothing running a Tegra chip would do too well with current gen SE games. People like to tout Skyrim as proof that the Switch is powerful, but Skyrim is a 5 year old game now, and the remaster looks WORSE than the PC version from 5 years ago on max settings. It's nothing but a marketing cashgrab on Bethesda's part. I wouldn't hold my breath for any mainline FF games for Switch, when they SE says they'll pledge games for Switch, they likely mean DQ and the like, which... is confirmed as some of those are launch titles for the Switch.
SuperSmashGod, not you. Only the FF7 part was in reply to you, which I probs should've done a better job at indicating. My mistake.

Also I never said it would come to Switch. I hope it does though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Worth a watch. he brings up a lot of interesting talking points.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@ManlySpirit: Could you summarize the video a bit, of only cause some users cannot watch videos properly. I've found this out the hard way on other sites, but I know it easily applies here too. Also, some users are actually deaf and can't participate in the discussion if only a video is shown.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
Yo, was that last line even necessary? I mean, yeah people can be too optimistic, but people can be too pessimistic as well.

Especially when you imply the other person is too optimistic to see facts, when she's just interpreting them differently.
I wasn't being mean in any way at all. So whats the problem here? Facts are facts if you interpret facts differently then you aren't seeing the facts at all, which means its time for me to move on. You can't tell me its not optimism when everyone says you cant say the switch will fail when we don't know enough about it, meaning you also can't say it will succeed. You cant tell me its not optimism when all the facts about this company show they haven't made a console capable of competing since the SNES. Nintendo has shown time and time again they are in their own world and don't care about changing. It would be insanity to expect them to change at this point. Any other company and nobody would even give them any positive attention. But since its Nintendo people are hyping it up. It's all optimistic assumption.

However if you look at the facts its apparent the switch isn't gonna be competition at all. The only Nintendo console that was a real success, outside of the Wii fluke, was the SNES. And even that console wasn't always on top it just barely beat out its competition. Every other console failed. Nothing has changed. There is no real reason, outside of optimism, to assume the switch will succeed when no Nintendo console has been able to for so many console generations. They have dug a whole too deep for them to get out of. they can't even sell to children anymore. Most kids play COD and GTA. Not Nintendo. Even the list of third party on the switch isn't enough to sell it on 3rd parties alone. You need A LOT of third part. You cant share all that 3rd party with 3 consoles at least not at this point. I mean seriously how can Nintendo recover from this? They are screwed. And Nintendo still uses another gimmick for this one. Tradition with no gimmicks sells consoles. Up to date graphics and hardwhare sells consoles. 3rd party games sell. A console you can take on the go isn't traditional for a console. Its a gimmick. You cant sell a console on gimmicks that aren't even in demand from anyone anyway. If people really wanted to play a console game on the go it would have been done before, let alone it would have already been in demand. The psvita could do it and i don't remember that kicking off.

I really have never seen such a huge amount of optimism being spread and over hyped to pass off the success a console in my life. There is really NOTHING to suggest this will or even can compete with ps4 and xbox.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wasn't being mean in any way at all. So whats the problem here? Facts are facts if you interpret facts differently then you aren't seeing the facts at all, which means its time for me to move on.
See this? That's not how facts work. People interpret facts differently in a way that tells them what they think the future will hold. Despite having only two legitimate failures among the Nintendo systems, you're treating it like everything failed, which while an opinion, means that by the same logic you're saying, the facts show that Nintendo has an amazing track record of being a success. Don't call us out on that when you're doing the exact same thing. Being a hypocrite does not legitimately help your argument here. Likewise, if you don't want to keep arguing, you're free to actually move on from this topic. That does not mean people will stop criticizing your points. It doesn't mean you have to reply, though. Keep in mind that moving on means just ignoring the topic.

You can't tell me its not optimism when everyone says you cant say the switch will fail
Which isn't what we're saying at all. We're saying we don't feel it's likely it will fail. And not everybody is saying that either.

when we don't know enough about it, meaning you also can't say it will succeed. You cant tell me its not optimism when all the facts about this company show they haven't made a console capable of competing since the SNES. Nintendo has shown time and time again they are in their own world and don't care about changing. It would be insanity to expect them to change at this point. Any other company and nobody would even give them any positive attention. But since its Nintendo people are hyping it up. It's all optimistic assumption.
Nintendo has an amazing track record of successes. It's automatically hypeworthy by that alone. You shouldn't be surprised. They literally are why video games came back after the huge video game drought. The hype is 100% justified. Just like you're justified in thinking it will fail. Nobody is saying you're wrong for being pessimistic. However, your points don't hold that much water in the grand scheme of things either. It's not an assumption either, it's hope. And they did an amazing job of hyping it up too, so of course people are optimistic. But actually reading this topic will tell you that people are still skeptical too, and for good reasons. Nintendo is well known for having underpowered systems.

However if you look at the facts its apparent the switch isn't gonna be competition at all.
This isn't apparent at all beyond your opinion. Don't confuse opinions with facts.

The only Nintendo console that was a real success, outside of the Wii fluke, was the SNES. And even that console wasn't always on top it just barely beat out its competition.
This isn't true either entirely. The Wii was not a fluke and you well know it. It was the top-selling system of its era among the big 3, and that's due to various factors. It hit every area people wanted, had a successful enough gimmick that the other two companies wanted to try and bank on it(they failed to make it work nearly as well as the Wii Remote)

Every other console failed. Nothing has changed.
Sales show otherwise. As ManlySpirit's data proves, this isn't remotely true. You're going to need to cite this properly, not constantly repeat stuff while refusing to back it up.

There is no real reason, outside of optimism, to assume the switch will succeed when no Nintendo console has been able to for so many console generations.
Well, considering everything was a commercial success outside of the Wii U(which is still actually a popular system, but that's an outlier of very specific games, but does count as a legit failure) and Virtual Boy fact-wise...

They have dug a hole too deep for them to get out of. they can't even sell to children anymore.
Not true either. Pokemon is an amazing example of why this is wrong. The 3DS(and variants) are amazing sellers among kids and adults alike. Also, the 3DS is the biggest selling system of theirs in Japan to date. Again, this is specifically an issue with the Wii U, not them as a whole. Of course, there's some games that went directions some don't like(Paper Mario), but this doesn't deter from general sales, just one series entirely at best, and Sticker Star was the best selling PM game to date(at its time. Color Splash may run it out of the water).

Most kids play COD and GTA. Not Nintendo. Even the list of third party on the switch isn't enough to sell it on 3rd parties alone. You need A LOT of third part. You cant share all that 3rd party with 3 consoles at least not at this point. I mean seriously how can Nintendo recover from this? They are screwed. And Nintendo still uses another gimmick for this one. Tradition with no gimmicks sells consoles. Up to date graphics and hardwhare sells consoles. 3rd party games sell. A console you can take on the go isn't traditional for a console. Its a gimmick. You cant sell a console on gimmicks that aren't even in demand from anyone anyway. If people really wanted to play a console game on the go it would have been done before, let alone it would have already been in demand. The psvita could do it and i don't remember that kicking off.
We know they're not banking on pure 3rd parties alone. They've already shown off tons of games that look amazing. Not everybody cares about graphics and hardware alone anyway. They also heavily care about topnotch and quality gameplay, something Nintendo heavily delivers. In fact, that's their most consistent point(bar Paper Mario, but then again, with Sticker Star being the top selling Paper Mario game, although as I said, Color Splash could outdwarf it, but clearly that isn't a problem either). Not everybody cares about GTA or CoD either. Neither of which are exclusive series. Halo is more hyped up at this point, mainly due to having a better story, something tons of gamers care about too.

I really have never seen such a huge amount of optimism being spread and over hyped to pass off the success a console in my life. There is really NOTHING to suggest this will or even can compete with ps4 and xbox.
There is absolutely nothing to suggest it won't compete. An amazing track record with two legitimate failures. More than enough power to run Skyrim. There's nothing clearly wrong with the graphics at all. They wouldn't show those previews unless they were sure the system could hold up. Those 3rd parties didn't sign on for no reason. They knew what they were doing.

Yes, some are way too optimistic to the point of ignoring the idea that the Switch might not do well. It's fine to believe it probably will do well, however. But acting like it is impossible to do well is just as bad as acting like it absolutely will do well. Very few people are doing either of this, and most feel it has a good chance. And it makes sense too. Nintendo properly gave it a reasonable preview. Being skeptical is fine, as well. Being overly negative while ignoring many facts is not fine and just annoys people.

I'll leave with this statement for you; the facts do speak for themselves. Nintendo is a very successful company(with only two legitimate failures fact-wise, which there's no real use denying. Only the Wii U and Virtual Boy legit failed, to the point that even Nintendo themselves made that very clear. It's why the Wii U is outright being taken down earlier than some expect. And if it wasn't for the tablet costing way too much to make, they could easily continue the system. Right now, that single factor alone costs them too much money to keep around. They have a far less expensive(proportionately) system to produce now, one that already has people quite optimistic about, and that's due to many reasons). While the Wii is an outlier, this does not make it a fluke, either) and while it's true they aren't the best at hardware, they make up for it with affordable prices, extremely successful practices, and being one of the most infamous 1st party companies of all time. This isn't a coincidence or some fluke. They damn well earned it. The doomsaying isn't even close to justified here in any possible way. Skepticism is, doomsaying is not.

finalark

SNORLAX
they can't even sell to children anymore. Most kids play COD and GTA. Not Nintendo.
I'm pretty sure this is an outdated stereotype. IIRC, Minecraft is the game of choice for a lot of kids these days. Not that it really matters, kids don't just play one game and ignore everything else. I remember GTA3 being a popular playground subject in the early 2000s but plenty of kids still loved Pokemon. I played M-Rated gorefests like Diablo and Doom but still got excited for Zelda. Only Sith deal in absolutes.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
Im pretty sure nobody is gonna cry over it. So whats the problem here? Facts are facts if you interpret facts differently then you aren't seeing the facts at all, which means its time for me to move on.

I don't argue facts.
I'm pretty sure this is an outdated stereotype. IIRC, Minecraft is the game of choice for a lot of kids these days. Not that it really matters, kids don't just play one game and ignore everything else. I remember GTA3 being a popular playground subject in the early 2000s but plenty of kids still loved Pokemon. I played M-Rated gorefests like Diablo and Doom but still got excited for Zelda. Only Sith deal in absolutes.

No this is obvious to anyone that has been paying attention to what most kids do. Most families have ps4 and Xbox not a Nintendo console. If you look at sales of the 3 consoles this will be obvious. Nintendo isn't even a recognizable brand to the average kid anymore. There is a reason for that. Ouside of the 3ds which is being beaten out by the tablets and smartphones anyway, Nintendo is falling off with kids.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
No this is obvious to anyone that has been paying attention to what most kids do. Most families have ps4 and Xbox not a Nintendo console. If you look at sales of the 3 consoles this will be obvious. Nintendo isn't even a recognizable brand to the average kid anymore. There is a reason for that. Ouside of the 3ds which is being beaten out by the tablets and smartphones anyway, Nintendo is falling off with kids.
Is this why I see kids wearing Mario and Pokemon shirts all the time?

I don't know if you work with kids or what, but whenever I talk with friends and family who do they can usually confirm my suspicion that there are plenty of kids who still like Nintendo.

Yes, a lot of families have Sony and MS consoles. This doesn't make the millions upon millions of Wiis sold between 2006-2012 suddenly up and vanish from the memories of the kids that played games on those consoles. Sure, the Wii U didn't do great. Lots of kids probably got a PS4 for Christmas instead from confused parents who thought the Wii U was some kind of $300 add-on for the Wii instead of a brand new machine. That doesn't make Nintendo's massive success from the mid 2000s to the early 10s irrelevant.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you speak in absolutes, you need to back up that with hard data, studies, and actual facts. Don't just say the facts, cite it.

This kind of debating tactic is debating in bad faith. It will no longer be tolerated. And for the record, this applies to all, including me. This is why I dropped some of my points cause I legitimately can't properly back them up.(I can say that clearly the 3rd parties must have faith in the Nintendo Switch to sign on. But I can't say why. The reason is is that we actually do have a proper list of 3rd parties who are on board with the switch).

In which case, I do have that. This is the image that has been shown officially of what 3rd parties support Nintendo. This isn't all of them, but a huge amount.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
No this is obvious to anyone that has been paying attention to what most kids do. Nintendo isn't even a recognizable brand to the average kid anymore. There is a reason for that.
See this? That's not how facts work. People interpret facts differently in a way that tells them what they think the future will hold. Despite having only two legitimate failures among the Nintendo systems, you're treating it like everything failed, which while an opinion, means that by the same logic you're saying, the facts show that Nintendo has an amazing track record of being a success. Don't call us out on that when you're doing the exact same thing. Being a hypocrite does not legitimately help your argument here. Likewise, if you don't want to keep arguing, you're free to actually move on from this topic. That does not mean people will stop criticizing your points. It doesn't mean you have to reply, though. Keep in mind that moving on means just ignoring the topic.

Which isn't what we're saying at all. We're saying we don't feel it's likely it will fail. And not everybody is saying that either.

Nintendo has an amazing track record of successes. It's automatically hypeworthy by that alone. You shouldn't be surprised. They literally are why video games came back after the huge video game drought. The hype is 100% justified. Just like you're justified in thinking it will fail. Nobody is saying you're wrong for being pessimistic. However, your points don't hold that much water in the grand scheme of things either. It's not an assumption either, it's hope. And they did an amazing job of hyping it up too, so of course people are optimistic. But actually reading this topic will tell you that people are still skeptical too, and for good reasons. Nintendo is well known for having underpowered systems.

This isn't apparent at all beyond your opinion. Don't confuse opinions with facts.

This isn't true either entirely. The Wii was not a fluke and you well know it. It was the top-selling system of its era among the big 3, and that's due to various factors. It hit every area people wanted, had a successful enough gimmick that the other two companies wanted to try and bank on it(they failed to make it work nearly as well as the Wii Remote)

Sales show otherwise. As ManlySpirit's data proves, this isn't remotely true. You're going to need to cite this properly, not constantly repeat stuff while refusing to back it up.

Well, considering everything was a commercial success outside of the Wii U(which is still actually a popular system, but that's an outlier of very specific games, but does count as a legit failure) and Virtual Boy fact-wise...

Not true either. Pokemon is an amazing example of why this is wrong. The 3DS(and variants) are amazing sellers among kids and adults alike. Also, the 3DS is the biggest selling system of theirs in Japan to date. Again, this is specifically an issue with the Wii U, not them as a whole. Of course, there's some games that went directions some don't like(Paper Mario), but this doesn't deter from general sales, just one series entirely at best, and Sticker Star was the best selling PM game to date(at its time. Color Splash may run it out of the water).

We know they're not banking on pure 3rd parties alone. They've already shown off tons of games that look amazing. Not everybody cares about graphics and hardware alone anyway. They also heavily care about topnotch and quality gameplay, something Nintendo heavily delivers. In fact, that's their most consistent point(bar Paper Mario, but then again, with Sticker Star being the top selling Paper Mario game, although as I said, Color Splash could outdwarf it, but clearly that isn't a problem either). Not everybody cares about GTA or CoD either. Neither of which are exclusive series. Halo is more hyped up at this point, mainly due to having a better story, something tons of gamers care about too.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest it won't compete. An amazing track record with two legitimate failures. More than enough power to run Skyrim. There's nothing clearly wrong with the graphics at all. They wouldn't show those previews unless they were sure the system could hold up. Those 3rd parties didn't sign on for no reason. They knew what they were doing.

Yes, some are way too optimistic to the point of ignoring the idea that the Switch might not do well. It's fine to believe it probably will do well, however. But acting like it is impossible to do well is just as bad as acting like it absolutely will do well. Very few people are doing either of this, and most feel it has a good chance. And it makes sense too. Nintendo properly gave it a reasonable preview. Being skeptical is fine, as well. Being overly negative while ignoring many facts is not fine and just annoys people.

I'll leave with this statement for you; the facts do speak for themselves. Nintendo is a very successful company(with only two legitimate failures fact-wise, which there's no real use denying. Only the Wii U and Virtual Boy legit failed, to the point that even Nintendo themselves made that very clear. It's why the Wii U is outright being taken down earlier than some expect. And if it wasn't for the tablet costing way too much to make, they could easily continue the system. Right now, that single factor alone costs them too much money to keep around. They have a far less expensive(proportionately) system to produce now, one that already has people quite optimistic about, and that's due to many reasons). While the Wii is an outlier, this does not make it a fluke, either) and while it's true they aren't the best at hardware, they make up for it with affordable prices, extremely successful practices, and being one of the most infamous 1st party companies of all time. This isn't a coincidence or some fluke. They damn well earned it. The doomsaying isn't even close to justified here in any possible way. Skepticism is, doomsaying is not.

Like I said I wont argue facts, I know what I'm talking about so there is no reason for me to debate it. So I won't address anything you said except one thing that got my attention.

You say Nintendo brought gaming back. That's not true. The so called gaming drought or crash only affected America, and not even PC gaming. Everywhere else in the world gaming carried on. Gaming never died. Like a lot of Nintendo fans you are spreading the misconception that Nintendo saved the gaming industry. That's not true at all.

This can also be looked up. If you research anything I said you can find it to be true.

finalark

SNORLAX
You say Nintendo brought gaming back. That's not true. The so called gaming drought or crash only affected America, and not even PC gaming. Everywhere else in the world gaming carried on. Gaming never died. Like a lot of Nintendo fans you are spreading the misconception that Nintendo saved the gaming industry. That's not true at all.

This can also be looked up. If you research anything I said you can find it to be true.
North America is a massive market. To act like Nintendo only bringing it back in America is no big deal is incredibly understating the importance of that. I think its safe to say that without the NA market video games has a whole likely wouldn't have evolved to be as massive as they are now.

On that note, I'll say that all and all the PC gaming scene of the 80s was small, niche and hardly relevant. Especially considering that in 1984 only 8.2% of American households even had PCs back then. Most of them were used for work, not recreation.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
Is this why I see kids wearing Mario and Pokemon shirts all the time?

I don't know if you work with kids or what, but whenever I talk with friends and family who do they can usually confirm my suspicion that there are plenty of kids who still like Nintendo.

Yes, a lot of families have Sony and MS consoles. This doesn't make the millions upon millions of Wiis sold between 2006-2012 suddenly up and vanish from the memories of the kids that played games on those consoles. Sure, the Wii U didn't do great. Lots of kids probably got a PS4 for Christmas instead from confused parents who thought the Wii U was some kind of $300 add-on for the Wii instead of a brand new machine. That doesn't make Nintendo's massive success from the mid 2000s to the early 10s irrelevant.
Well why don't you research this then. I'm not making this stuff up. Nintendo isn't even a recognizable brand to kids nowadays so how is it that this is wrong? Your personal experiences don't count. I'm talking about things that are objective anf proven.

Review Tech USA did a video on this even. I'm not making any of this up

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well why don't you research this then. I'm not making this stuff up. Nintendo isn't even a recognizable brand to kids nowadays so how is it that this is wrong? Your personal experiences don't count. I'm talking about things that are objective anf proven.

Review Tech USA did a video on this even. I'm not making any of this up
How about you post the video and then summarize it? You're not citing anything you say when speaking in absolutes.

I'm giving you one chance to prove any of this is true. And if you aren't getting the point; by not backing up your "facts" at all, you're refusing to be respectful to us by proving your points with cited information. We can perfectly respect your opinion on it. We cannot respect facts if your refusal to cite any of them continues. To us, it looks like stuff you made up. If this fact exists, you can clearly cite it.

As for the "Nintendo saving gaming", I honestly didn't know it was a NA thing only. My bad. Although clearly you could've just posted an actual link proving that, in which it'd further help some of your points. But likewise, why should I believe what you said is true if you won't ever cite anything? That's the issue. Cite stuff. It's very easy and takes little time.

North America is a massive market. To act like Nintendo only bringing it back in America is no big deal is incredibly understating the importance of that. I think its safe to say that without the NA market video games has a whole likely wouldn't have evolved to be as massive as they are now.

On that note, I'll say that all and all the PC gaming scene of the 80s was small, niche and hardly relevant. Especially considering that in 1984 only 8.2% of American households even had PCs back then. Most of them were used for work, not recreation.
This is also notable, a point this user brought up. Note as well that he's citing a lot of this.

Purposely downplaying how important Nintendo's impact on gaming is being very unfair. But then again, if you can somehow prove that haven't had a major impact on the gaming world, with cited data, maybe people would start believing Nintendo isn't extremely well known, still relevant, and very important. So far, your data isn't exactly doing anything to prove this. Prove that barely anyone buys Nintendo products as you claim. If you can't, then your absolutes you're speaking in hold no water that any user can take seriously.

And for the record, if you make an argument that a fact exists, it's your job to back it up with data, not ours to research it. We should only be researching our own points. Which is why it was reasonable to call me out on the Nintendo saving gaming thing. That's fair. What's not fair is thinking we can't call you out on doing the same thing. You can't expect us to give you slack if you give us none. It goes both ways.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
How about you post the video and then summarize it? You're not citing anything you say when speaking in absolutes.

I'm giving you once chance to prove any of this is true.

As for the "Nintendo saving gaming", I honestly didn't know it was a NA thing only. My bad. Although clearly you could've just posted an actual link proving that, in which it'd further help some of your points.

This is also notable, a point this user brought up. Note as well that he's citing a lot of this.

Purposely downplaying how important Nintendo's impact on gaming is being very unfair. But then again, if you can somehow prove that haven't had a major impact on the gaming world, with cited data, maybe people would start believing Nintendo isn't extremely well known, still relevant, and very important.
Why do i need to site common gaming knowledge? If i told you the sky was blue would you ask me to site it? If you don't know this why don't you look it up? You must think i'm lying if u want me to link information things your average gamer that keeps up with gaming news knows. Which is fine of course. I never thought to look for internet sources on common gaming knowledge so i don't have links on standby. I wasn't trying to debate anything anyway as I've said many times before, so its not like i had it in mind. Let's be real though, do you really think id go to a forum and make up a bunch of information about Nintendo? Even going as far as using said information to support the likely notion they will make another failed console.

I buy nintendo consoles,how else would I be such a smash vetran? I clearly play smash and we all know what console its on. I don't want Nintendo to fail i have no incentive to lie. If you or anyone elses thinks im wrong then that's fine, Im not gonna dig through the web to find this information though. iIknow its true so there is no need personally. Not even outside of the personal in these discussions as I'm not tryna debate at all honestly. I just don't understand why if it is such a concern why you wouldn't look it up yourself. Better yet just use youtube. Its no big deal though. I've said what i wanted.

This will be my leave on this thread Mod. Maybe ill reply a bit more but i'm pretty much done here.

Im correcting an incorrect statement not downplaying. North America is nothing compared to the whole world, and the rest of the world including America was still gaming. There was no gaming crash Nintendo saved nothing.

So what is the confusion here? If anything there is an over importance on Nintendo. If gaming never went away what did it save exactly? It not like it wasn't important in gaming, but lets be real it didn't save gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post. Edit your posts to reply to another user(if you accidentally double posted, just edit your post to say something and a mod will gladly merge them).

In addition, a Moderator's statement can be contested via PM or Forum Support. They still must be followed until something changes, however. This is not an option.

I am temporarily locking this thread so this message can be properly read.

Lastly, you will be expected to cite any statements you make in absolute. There are no excuses here and we expect you to heavily respect what is being said and follow the very blatant rule of respecting others.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unlocked. One quick thing, make sure you read this before replying to get an understanding of many issues that happen during debates.

(I'm aware I did just do a double post. Double posts are allowed under extremely specific conditions, like unlocking a thread and making sure people realize that).

finalark

SNORLAX
Im correcting an incorrect statement not downplaying. North America is nothing compared to the whole world, and the rest of the world including America was still gaming. There was no gaming crash Nintendo saved nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

The whole world doesn't play video games, especially back in 1983 where they weren't nearly as widespread as they are today. Third world countries didn't (and in some cases still don't) have video games and its pretty myopic to assume that video games are a given, especially when the industry was a fledgling as it was in the 80s.

Let me put it into perspective: South Korea didn't get Pokemon until Gold and Silver, and then didn't get Crystal. Nor did they get Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald. As a matter of fact, Korean Pokemon fans would have to wait until 2008 to start getting the series regularly. If a first world country like South Korea didn't really get their hands on a multi-billion dollar franchise as big as Pokemon until the end of the 2000s imagined how the rest of the world fared in the 1980s.

And since we're citing our sources now: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_in_South_Korea#Pok.C3.A9mon_video_games

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

The whole world doesn't play video games, especially back in 1983 where they weren't nearly as widespread as they are today. Third world countries didn't (and in some cases still don't) have video games and its pretty myopic to assume that video games are a given, especially when the industry was a fledgling as it was in the 80s.

Let me put it into perspective: South Korea didn't get Pokemon until Gold and Silver, and then didn't get Crystal. Nor did they get Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald. As a matter of fact, Korean Pokemon fans would have to wait until 2008 to start getting the series regularly. If a first world country like South Korea didn't really get their hands on a multi-billion dollar franchise as big as Pokemon until the end of the 2000s imagined how the rest of the world fared in the 1980s.

And since we're citing our sources now: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_in_South_Korea#Pok.C3.A9mon_video_games
That's cool and all. What I'm saying though is gaming never died. There was no saving gaming. This isn't about how wide spread gaming is. It's about the fact gaming was still going on period, therefore gaming wasn't saved It. Never went away. The statement, "Nintendo saved gaming" is still wrong.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Drop the "Nintendo saved gaming" argument please. It's going in circles and clearly doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's already acknowledged that Nintendo had a major gaming impact anyway, which was the entire point of it being brought up. Nothing more needs to be said and it doesn't really matter who's right about this at this point. Just let it go.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet

what is economics

I dont understand why you dont say this to me directly, but instead go all passive agresive.

Anyway i never said that. I specifically stated that the NES was a monopoly, meaning it had no competition. So it's success was inevitable. I'm acknowledging the fact is was inevitably successful so how am i saying its not a success?

Yes I did count the NES out when mentioning Nintendo's success in my conversation, because when i said success i meant in terms of competing. So i was saying succeeding in winning the console generation against competition. Its not plausible to use that as a track record for Nintendo being good. No company will fail to succeed if they are the only ones offering games in the market. Therefore i didn't count it. That doesn't mean i'm saying its not a success i'm saying i don't count it in the terms of success im talking about.

If you have anything else about me to say you can go ahead and say it upfront.

Okay then, Nintendo saved console-based video gaming from becoming an obscure, niche pastime only enjoyed by people with knowledge of imports in North America. Satisfied?
That's a more accurate statement. On the quote of being satisfied though, no i'm not. I never had i need to be satisfied in this conversation sir. I don't care if you are wrong or not i was simply replying to responses you made to me.

Last edited:

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Do you guys/gals believe in the Switch being Xbox one level power? I personally do since Bethesda said they won't supporting it if it wasn't the same power level as a Xbox Jaune. The CEO confirmed Skyrim for it.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
Do you guys/gals believe in the Switch being Xbox one level power? I personally do since Bethesda said they won't supporting it if it wasn't the same power level as a Xbox Jaune. The CEO confirmed Skyrim for it.
I heard it was near the same power or something along those lines.

finalark

SNORLAX
ESV is also five years old at this point. I'd like to believe that the console has some kick, but we'll wait and see once we get the official sepcs.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

We are still seeing a downward trend with Sony as well though, just not as markedly as Nintendo. While I do believe we can basically throw out the wii data, its my gut feeling that the Switch will perform much better than the Wii U, gamecube, and N64 simply because it will be combining handheld and home console markets. And with Sony trending downward too, I would not be surprised if the Switch does better than the PS4 overall, and potentially a PS5, unless Sony does something more innovative than just making a bigger and better console.

SuperSmashGod

Smash Cadet
Only consoles that were straight up failures were the Wii U and the Virtual Boy.

Everything else has had varying degrees of financial success.
Wasn't talking about financial success. I was saying success in winning the competition against it's competitors.

D

Deleted member

We are still seeing a downward trend with Sony as well though, just not as markedly as Nintendo. While I do believe we can basically throw out the wii data, its my gut feeling that the Switch will perform much better than the Wii U, gamecube, and N64 simply because it will be combining handheld and home console markets. And with Sony trending downward too, I would not be surprised if the Switch does better than the PS4 overall, and potentially a PS5, unless Sony does something more innovative than just making a bigger and better console.
Nah man, you're being overly optimistic with thing.

No way it sells better than the PS4. Not even close.

Look at the sales per generation on handhelds:

GB - 119 mil
GBA - 82 mil
DS - 159 mil + PSP - 82 mil /241mil total
3DS - 62 mil + Vita - 13 mil /75mil total

Look at that sharp drop in sales from Gen 7 to Gen 8. Also note how the total drops below even Gen 6. You'd think that with the Vita flopping as hard as it did, that some of the 82 mil PSP owners would have gone to 3DS, but they didn't. So the question lies, where have all those people gone? and why aren't they buying any portable consoles?

The simple answer is that the mobile market it eating into the handheld market, as I've said before. And I'm not the only one to say this, this was also pointed out by analysts and experts after the Vita died.. Remember that the 3DS also had a very shaky launch, and it needed a price cut and aggressive marketing in order to be revived, and even then, it still didn't even do half as well as the DS did, hell it didn't even match up to the PSP and GBA. Look at the monthly sales on the 3DS for the last two years, you'll see that they're slowing down drastically, and it's not doing very good over all. There is more than enough evidence to support the statement I've made a couple times, and it's that phones and tablets are making portable consoles obsolete, and that the handheld gaming market is a dying market. End of story, Switch is gonna perform UNDER the 3DS, for sure. Drastically so I'd even add, as the mobile/tablet market has been growing exponentially each year, and this has been affecting the portable gaming market quite heavily.

What you see in consoles is in fact the opposite, the console gaming market is still growing, I posted the total sales in one of my previous posts. As for Sony, you said that you could see a clear downward trend, but that's not exactly true. For one, there's not enough data to see an particular trend with Sony, especially since the PS4 is still halfway into its cycle, and it's expected to really ramp up in sales in the coming two years. Hell, PS3 is STILL selling, 4 years into the newest generation. That counts for something, and you'll likely see the same thing happen next generation with the PS4, as Sony tends to support its consoles well into newer generations. What we see in consoles is a little bit different, it's not that sales are going bad for Sony cause the market is hurting, but rather, that competition is getting more fierce because the market is growing, especially with PC gaming now officially competing with consoles thanks to the viability of Steam and the like. The market is growing year by year, and more and more competitors are wanting a share of that pie each year, so the overall hardware sales are distributed among more companies and platforms. This is good for us as a consumer, but especially bad for Nintendo, as they're already struggling to keep up with Sony in the console market. Add more aggressive competition into the mix, and suddenly, their strategy of sitting back and doing their own thing is gonna hurt them dearly.

As I've said before in this thread, only way out of this really, for Nintendo, would be to tap into the mobile/tablet market and capitalizing on that. This would shift their competitive focus from Sony and Microsoft to Apple and Google, but with carefully planning and a proper strategy, it's very doable. Switch running ARM (a common mobile chip) is a promising sign, and the video I posted talked about this on length, stating how with Nvidia working side by side with Nintendo to build this, AND plan the OS, there is potential here.

Anyway, to leave things off, I'll repost this chart to help you visualize things:

Do note that the line between PC and Console gaming is becoming increasingly blurred, and also pay attention to how small the handheld market is.

Top Bottom