• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Kinda old news at this point but yeah that should be nice.

What i'm really hoping is that they don't touch up on too much gameplay footage in the event. That's going to take too much time. I hope that each trailer barring Mario and Zelda takes no more than a minute to go through given Treehouse is having the event on Friday.
Yeah, it's anyone's guess really. I mean at E3 2015 they spent like twenty five minutes covering three games. THREE.

But I'm guessing and hoping it'll be a pretty busy hour. ;)

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
We are so close to the big presentation we originally expected to be as early as a couple months before last year's E3. While good for gaming in general, 2016 wasn't a particularly special year to be a Nintendo fan (except for Pokemon, they handled the 20th anniversary with exceptional quantity and pace). Other than Pokemania, 2016 always felt like a very transitional, "calm-before-the-storm" year. 2017 is instantly leaping over the low bar of excitement that the previous year set within the first 12-13 days.

While I will always caution people to keep their expectations in check, do as I say and not as I do, because I am really feeling the hype train right now. Besides, at bare minimum, it's launching off to a better and more confident tone than last year.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wasn't Persona 5 always billed as a Sony exclusive?
It was.

If it was coming to Xbox or PC I'd be worried, but Persona has always been a Sony centric series with several exclusives.

Heck, it had one of the biggest games on the Vita.

Yakuza being PS4 exclusive is odd though.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Yakuza being PS4 exclusive is odd though.
Nah, Yakuza has actually been even slightly more PlayStation faithful than Persona has over the years.

It's a somewhat promising sign that no developers with upcoming (post-March) games in franchises known for multiplats have outright rejected the Switch yet. Of course no news isn't necessarily good news in the gaming industry, so we'll see in just a few days how third parties are looking.

D

Deleted member

Have you guys seen this?

Plazhalter = Placeholder btw.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen this?

Plazhalter = Placeholder btw.
Yup. Notably, these GameStop leaks have been faked before, but also notably, they've been real before.

Biting the bait and assuming it's true, that's a solid launch that's leagues ahead of the Wii U's lineup.

The Wii U launch consisted of several mostly late third party multiplat ports, a third party exclusive in the form of ZombiU, and first party games Nintendo Land and NSMBU.

We don't know fully yet how the Switch will compare to the first point, but Skyrim, potentially day and date DQ XI, and presumably exclusive Monster Hunter all outclass comparable games from the Wii U's launch. Zelda BotW and new 3Dish Mario greatly outclass NL and NSMBU. Throw in Mario Kart and Splatoon into the mix, and that's one top tier launch lineup. Even if those last two are enhanced ports, there's many gamers who didn't fully experience them in their initial run, meaning more exposure.

So the rumored launch lineup is solid gold. Now they just need to maintain the momentum and stay drought free. :confused:

D

Deleted member

Yup. Notably, these GameStop leaks have been faked before, but also notably, they've been real before.

Biting the bait and assuming it's true, that's a solid launch that's leagues ahead of the Wii U's lineup.

The Wii U launch consisted of several mostly late third party multiplat ports, a third party exclusive in the form of ZombiU, and first party games Nintendo Land and NSMBU.

We don't know fully yet how the Switch will compare to the first point, but Skyrim, potentially day and date DQ XI, and presumably exclusive Monster Hunter all outclass comparable games from the Wii U's launch. Zelda BotW and new 3Dish Mario greatly outclass NL and NSMBU. Throw in Mario Kart and Splatoon into the mix, and that's one top tier launch lineup. Even if those last two are enhanced ports, there's many gamers who didn't fully experience them in their initial run, meaning more exposure.

So the rumored launch lineup is solid gold. Now they just need to maintain the momentum and stay drought free. :confused:
There's nothing to indicate that that Monster Hunter is exclusive. Especially since Capcom has already mentioned their desire to expand their franchise into various platforms:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/03/ca...-the-west-knows-handhelds-alone-arent-enough/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...monster_hunter_to_aggressively_increase_sales

If anything, it's most likely a port of XX which was announced last Direct for 3DS, and it coincides with recent announcements and development times. That MonHun is slated for a March 19th launch, XX makes the most sense, since an HD MonHun exclusive would take way longer to make, and be a foolish investment for a risky console. Plus, Switch exclusive would go against all of Capcom's previous announcements.

I'm personally more interested by the 5 placeholders, as everything else isn't overly exciting, and is honestly somewhat expected. Sonic is Obviously Sonic Mania, Zelda and Mario are a given. MK and Splatoon we saw, the DQ games have been confirmed, and everything else is mostly throwaway. I'm curious to learn if the placeholders are 3rd party, or 1st party. My guess is 3rd party, as the Rabbids game isn't on there, and it's being made by Ubisoft iirc.

That is... assuming any of this "leak" is even true. Though coming this close to reveal, it might be.

EDIT:
Fololwing up on MH, Launch lines up:
xx.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That could be close to how much it's gonna be in CAD. ;_;
I think it is CAD actually. That's what people were suggesting in the thread it was posted in. $299USD/$399CAD, which sounds very likely tbh.

Then again, Idk if you guys have Wal-Mart's in Canada.

Guess we'll find out in a few hours.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
If it were $400 USD? I would, but I'd be mad because it limits how many other people would in general.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it is CAD actually. That's what people were suggesting in the thread it was posted in. $299USD/$399CAD, which sounds very likely tbh.

Then again, Idk if you guys have Wal-Mart's in Canada.

Guess we'll find out in a few hours.
We do, and that all sounds sadly possible. :/

We'll end up having to trade our houses for a Switch I bet.
Good thing Switch is portable...

If it were $400 USD? I would, but I'd be mad because it limits how many other people would in general.
I can't imagine it'll be $400 USD. Unless it's like a deluxe bundle with like extra storage and a pack in-title.

D

Deleted member

It's a bit of a dilemma cause it's not being sold at a loss. Anything under $300 means it's gonna have ass for hardware (underclocked Maxwell confirmed). Anything over $300 means it's running top of the line hardware, and might actually be good.

Considering that gaming laptops are legit viable now, and tablets already exist that overpower the Switch, I'd much rather it be pricey and actually have solid hardware, since Maxwell is last gen hardware anyway. Everything coming out this year is running i7s and Pascals.

For $800 you can get a Windows Surface Pro 4 that can easily run current gen games on Steam on high settings, and offers all the other benefits of a full-fledged desktop AND a tablet. If Nintendo can put something out that can give that a run for its money (due to optimizations), and still remain comparatively budget, then they're on the money, and I might actually get excited. But if they put out an under-powered tablet running last gen hardware... idk man, but I'll be passing on it. For $400 you can get a decent gaming laptop that runs everything on Steam without breaking a sweat and actually has a decent battery. I wouldn't mind the extra cash for the extra bang. The difference between $300 and $400 is minuscule, especially when you consider that PCs are futureproof in the sense that they'll always have support.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I see the video of upcoming Super Mario game for Switch the Super Mario Odyssey and that is amazing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hate to be that guy, but that was pretty bad... But hey, at least Zelda looks awesome, glad I don't have to buy a Switch to play it.

So lets go down the line on everything:

-$299USD
That was expected at this point. We got to see the games running on it, and I wasn't overly impressed by the visuals. Not to mention XB2 had very bad frame drops. I guess it really might be underclocked Maxwell after all, which makes this price tag a bit steep for what they're offering.

-No more Region Lock
About goddamn time, might be too little too late imo

-Online Service
Paid online was bound to happen, but man, Nintendo's service is BY FAR the worst of the three. Go to their main page and compare it to what PS+ offers, and it's just sad. You mean that for $50 a year I get to choose a SNES/NES game to play for free for a limited time? That's AWFUL!! PS+ gives your discounts on newly released AAA games, and free indie games every month. Plus, with the PS account system you can share accounts and downloads across multiple consoles. Plus, it's got one MAJOR glaring flaw.

-No built in Ethernet Port
WHAT THE **** WERE THEY THINKING?!? Every current gen console has one, that's the only way to ensure a stable connection. You mean NOW I gotta pay $20 for an Ethernet adapter just to be able to play online properly, IN ADDITION to the yearly subscription? That $299 is quickly starting to look a lot more pricey.

-Nintendo Online using your phone for Friendcodes and Voice chat
That's what killed it for me. Why do this? Why not include a simple headphone jack for a headset and have VC on the machine like every other console since the Xbox phat? If I'm gonna use my phone as well, I'll just use Hangouts or Discord, I'm not gonna use some dumb proprietary app.

-Joycons
Cool tech I guess, the rumble stuff seemed kinda neat, I think. But it feels very gimmicky. But MAN those are tiny. I have fairly large hands, I imagine it must be very uncomfortable to play on one of those for extended amounts of time. Also, they're oddly reminiscent of the Wiimote, which I never liked. But at least they come in various colors... which is cool... I guess.... Also, expensive little ****ers $79 USD, **** me. At least they come with the console. That said, the grip is a piece of plastic, if you want the one that charges, that's another $30 added to the tab. Things are adding up quickly. But at least they have a Pro controller, which... doesn't come with the console, and IT costs... $69 MSRP. Amazing. And if you lose one of your Joycons, or wanna play locals multiplayer, you're gonna be dishing out some serious dosh. I feel the they should have kept these things simple in order to keep the price down. In fact, I'd much rather the console be more pricey and have more power, and some with a solid, but simple and cheap remote, than vice versa... Half the features in the joycons will go underused.

-32 GB built in HD
I knew this was gonna happen, so I won't complain, but that's just plain dumb. So go ahead and tack on another $50 to that price tag for a decent SD card to increase your storage capacity. The Nintendo Switch is deceptively expensive. Beneath the $299 price tag, you've got a bunch of extra costs that put it far ahead of its competition in terms of price, even if you add their bonus stuff to the bill.

Games:

-1 2 Switch
So basically it's Wii Sports/Nintendoland. Cool I guess, but it doesn't come bundled, so that's a pass since it's like $60.

-ARM aka (shoulda been Punch Out)
Man, I was laughing at how bad the presentation was at this point. Looks like a cool tech demo, but if this is "Nintendo does """REAL""" fighting games" this is a sad sign of things to come. I remember when Nintendo had more variety in their libraries, and not everything was super cartoony, like Nickelodeon vomited on your screen. Cool concept, but it's not for me.

-Splatoon 2
Cool, I guess. I liked the first Splatoon, but I had my fair share of problems with it, notably the amount of content in the game. At least it's got local MP now. Still, the fact that it's coming out so soon, means there's a high chance this one is being rushed like the last one was. Still, it's one of the few games that caught my eye at this presentation, but it's not enough to buy a Switch. I'd pick it up if it were coming to WiiU but... HA! We all know Hell will freeze over before that happens.

-Mario Odyssey
Ok, so I'm sure it's been said before, since I know I wasn't the only one to notice this, but.... why does this look like Sonic 06? Having Mario in the real world is a uncanny and jarring as having Sonic in the real world. Idk man, I'm not feeling this one at all. There's some cool ideas here and there with the hat and stuff... but open world Mario... in the real world... naw son, the best aspects of Mario were the tight platforming, and the incredibly imaginative setting, both of which this thing is missing.

-Fire Emblem Musou
This is cool. About time really. But then again, after HW, I realized I don't really like Musous. They're incredibly repetitive. Looks forward to seeing all the character trailers and such in the future. I really only care about this to see what movesets they give each FE character.

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Looks alright. New art direction is nice, last two games were a bit uncanny. Still though, not even set for this year, and tbh, after XCX, I don't really feel the hype. Actually, this is starting to feel like the WiiU's launch all over again tbh.

-Ho More Heroes 3
Neat, I like this franchise a lot. I'll be waiting for the inevitable PS4 port as we know that's bound to happen at this point. Last two games were ported to PS3, I don't see why this one won't see the same fate. Also, if this were the WiiU, this would be the Bayonetta 2 of this launch line up, again, not looking so hot. At least this one has a chance of getting ported.

-SMT
That's cool. Probably won't be an exclusive though. And we've got no info. I like the SMT franchise a lot. If any of you get a Switch, I recommend you eventually pick this one up to rinse off the sour taste of #FE from your mouth, as THAT was NOT SMT. Also, this reminds me of the SMTxFE teaser during the WiiU reveal, man history is just repeating itself.

-Skyrim
If you haven't played Skyrim by now, you should be ashamed. :p This is just as dumb as the remaster, I dunno why people are excited. Vanilla version has been put on PC for YEARS, and it's got tons of enhancements and graphics mods that put the Remaster to shame.

-Fifa
Loved the reluctant look on the EA rep's face. At least Nintendo is trying to reach out to 3rd parties this time around. They know they need FIfa, and with this and NBA, well the Switch might do ok? Maybe? idk.... More on that in a bit.

-That Squeenix RPG
Didn't catch my eye, sorry.

And that was pretty much it, unless I missed something... Man that was really bad. I know they showed off more stuff later, like MK8R, and a port of SFII, and all of these are cool and all, but none are really system sellers. In fact, there's not a single game on the Switch that makes me go, "yeah, THAT game is the reason to buy this console." Perhaps is Zelda was exclusive to it, then yeah. But then I'd have the risk and potential disappointment of having to buy an overpriced console to play one game, and then have to wait from drought to drought for games to trickle in. Nintendo promises that over 70 games are being made for it, but we don't know how many of those are exclusive, and how many are indie and low budget game. Which I personally assume is quite a lot tbh. And I don't see how any of this lineup is any much different to the WiiU one, in fact, with Arkham, and Rayman Legends, and Mass Effect 3, and Deus Ex, etc... WiiU had a lot more going for it, especially since it also had a lot of exclusives planned out for it even in its first two years.

THIS is the year line up for the Switch:

My question is, how on earth is this, gonna compete with THIS:

1481652025869.jpg

Because not even price is an advantage for Nintendo anymore.

Just to compare, if you wanna buy a PS4, a brand new Slim, no bundle is $239, comes with a remote, and $50 more for an extra one for local. Games, well, lets say Bloodborne, which imo is the best game on the console, that costs $17, lets toss in a multiplayer game on there too, to make the extra remote worthwhile, Guilty Gear Revelator is $25, and a subscription to PS+ that's $50 more.

So for $381, you get the console, two games, an extra remote, and a year PS+ subscription.

Now lets look at the Switch. It's $299 for a new console. BotW will be $60, and lets say 1 2 Switch, which iirc is like $45. Then you need one pro controller, that's $70 more, plus an ethernet adapter, that $20, plus a decent SD card, that's $50, then one year subscription to Nintendo Online, that's $50.

Total price comes down to: $595, and I didn't even include the Joycon charger.

Tally up the price, and you're looking at a good $500+ for a full experience, and it's STILL considerably weaker than the PS4, and has less games on it. Plus its online system is inferior to the PS4's. Consider that you can buy a Slim for $250, and used Vanilla for $170, and a brand new Pro for $399, all bundled with a game, and I don't really see this thing catching on. Not to mention all the AAA you'd be missing out on if you went Switch exclusive.

Plus, how many of the games showcased last night are exclusive to the Switch? Outside of the first party IP, I'd argue not many, if any tbh.

So I reiterate my initial question... "What was the point of killing the WiiU then?" I mean, outside of pissing off half the people who bought one.

Meh, anyway, at least I've got Zelda to look forward to, and I gotta say, that looks dope. That trailer legit gave me chills. So there's that.

Sorry for being the buzzkill, but at least I crashed the party over here while you guys are swirling around and getting hyped up over in the Social thread. But those are my thoughts on it at least.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hate to be that guy, but that was pretty bad... But hey, at least Zelda looks awesome, glad I don't have to buy a Switch to play it.

So lets go down the line on everything:

-$299USD
That was expected at this point. We got to see the games running on it, and I wasn't overly impressed by the visuals. Not to mention XB2 had very bad frame drops. I guess it really might be underclocked Maxwell after all, which makes this price tag a bit steep for what they're offering.

-No more Region Lock
About goddamn time, might be too little too late imo

-Online Service
Paid online was bound to happen, but man, Nintendo's service is BY FAR the worst of the three. Go to their main page and compare it to what PS+ offers, and it's just sad. You mean that for $50 a year I get to choose a SNES/NES game to play for free for a limited time? That's AWFUL!! PS+ gives your discounts on newly released AAA games, and free indie games every month. Plus, with the PS account system you can share accounts and downloads across multiple consoles. Plus, it's got one MAJOR glaring flaw.

-No built in Ethernet Port
WHAT THE **** WERE THEY THINKING?!? Every current gen console has one, that's the only way to ensure a stable connection. You mean NOW I gotta pay $20 for an Ethernet adapter just to be able to play online properly, IN ADDITION to the yearly subscription? That $299 is quickly starting to look a lot more pricey.

-Joycons
Cool tech I guess, the rumble stuff seemed kinda neat, I think. But it feels very gimmicky. But MAN those are tiny. I have fairly large hands, I imagine it must be very uncomfortable to play on one of those for extended amounts of time. Also, they're oddly reminiscent of the Wiimote, which I never liked. But at least they come in various colors... which is cool... I guess.... Also, expensive little ****ers $79 USD, **** me. At least they come with the console. That said, the grip is a piece of plastic, if you want the one that charges, that's another $30 added to the tab. Things are adding up quickly. But at least they have a Pro controller, which... doesn't come with the console, and IT costs... $69 MSRP. Amazing. And if you lose one of your Joycons, or wanna play locals multiplayer, you're gonna be dishing out some serious dosh. I feel the they should have kept these things simple in order to keep the price down. In fact, I'd much rather the console be more pricey and have more power, and some with a solid, but simple and cheap remote, than vice versa... Half the features in the joycons will go underused.

-32 GB built in HD
I knew this was gonna happen, so I won't complain, but that's just plain dumb. So go ahead and tack on another $50 to that price tag for a decent SD card to increase your storage capacity. The Nintendo Switch is deceptively expensive. Beneath the $299 price tag, you've got a bunch of extra costs that put it far ahead of its competition in terms of price, even if you add their bonus stuff to the bill.

Games:

-1 2 Switch
So basically it's Wii Sports/Nintendoland. Cool I guess, but it doesn't come bundled, so that's a pass since it's like $60.

-ARM aka (shoulda been Punch Out)
Man, I was laughing at how bad the presentation was at this point. Looks like a cool tech demo, but if this is "Nintendo does """REAL""" fighting games" this is a sad sign of things to come. I remember when Nintendo had more variety in their libraries, and not everything was super cartoony, like Nickelodeon vomited on your screen. Cool concept, but it's not for me.

-Splatoon 2
Cool, I guess. I liked the first Splatoon, but I had my fair share of problems with it, notably the amount of content in the game. At least it's got local MP now. Still, the fact that it's coming out so soon, means there's a high chance this one is being rushed like the last one was. Still, it's one of the few games that caught my eye at this presentation, but it's not enough to buy a Switch. I'd pick it up if it were coming to WiiU but... HA! We all know Hell will freeze over before that happens.

-Mario Odyssey
Ok, so I'm sure it's been said before, since I know I wasn't the only one to notice this, but.... why does this look like Sonic 06? Having Mario in the real world is a uncanny and jarring as having Sonic in the real world. Idk man, I'm not feeling this one at all. There's some cool ideas here and there with the hat and stuff... but open world Mario... in the real world... naw son, the best aspects of Mario were the tight platforming, and the incredibly imaginative setting, both of which this thing is missing.

-Fire Emblem Musou
This is cool. About time really. But then again, after HW, I realized I don't really like Musous. They're incredibly repetitive. Looks forward to seeing all the character trailers and such in the future. I really only care about this to see what movesets they give each FE character.

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Looks alright. New art direction is nice, last two games were a bit uncanny. Still though, not even set for this year, and tbh, after XCX, I don't really feel the hype. Actually, this is starting to feel like the WiiU's launch all over again tbh.

-Ho More Heroes 3
Neat, I like this franchise a lot. I'll be waiting for the inevitable PS4 port as we know that's bound to happen at this point. Last two games were ported to PS3, I don't see why this one won't see the same fate. Also, if this were the WiiU, this would be the Bayonetta 2 of this launch line up, again, not looking so hot. At least this one has a chance of getting ported.

-SMT
That's cool. Probably won't be an exclusive though. And we've got no info. I like the SMT franchise a lot. If any of you get a Switch, I recommend you eventually pick this one up to rinse off the sour taste of #FE from your mouth, as THAT was NOT SMT. Also, this reminds me of the SMTxFE teaser during the WiiU reveal, man history is just repeating itself.

-Skyrim
If you haven't played Skyrim by now, you should be ashamed. :p This is just as dumb as the remaster, I dunno why people are excited. Vanilla version has been put on PC for YEARS, and it's got tons of enhancements and graphics mods that put the Remaster to shame.

-Fifa
Loved the reluctant look on the EA rep's face. At least Nintendo is trying to reach out to 3rd parties this time around. They know they need FIfa, and with this and NBA, well the Switch might do ok? Maybe? idk.... More on that in a bit.

-That Squeenix RPG
Didn't catch my eye, sorry.

And that was pretty much it, unless I missed something... Man that was really bad. I know they showed off more stuff later, like MK8R, and a port of SFII, and all of these are cool and all, but none are really system sellers. In fact, there's not a single game on the Switch that makes me go, "yeah, THAT game is the reason to buy this console." Perhaps is Zelda was exclusive to it, then yeah. But then I'd have the risk and potential disappointment of having to buy an overpriced console to play one game, and then have to wait from drought to drought for games to trickle in. Nintendo promises that over 70 games are being made for it, but we don't know how many of those are exclusive, and how many are indie and low budget game. Which I personally assume is quite a lot tbh. And I don't see how any of this lineup is any much different to the WiiU one, in fact, with Arkham, and Rayman Legends, and Mass Effect 3, and Deus Ex, etc... WiiU had a lot more going for it, especially since it also had a lot of exclusives planned out for it even in its first two years.

THIS is the year line up for the Switch:

My question is, how on earth is this, gonna compete with THIS:

View attachment 124869

Because not even price is an advantage for Nintendo anymore.

Tally up the price, and you're looking at a good $500+ for a full experience, and it's STILL considerably weaker than the PS4, and has less games on it. Plus its online system is inferior to the PS4's. Consider that you can buy a Slim for $250, and used Vanilla for $170, and a brand new Pro for $399, all bundled with a game, and I don't really see this thing catching on. Not to mention all the AAA you'd be missing out on if you went Switch exclusive.

Plus, how many of the games showcased last night are exclusive to the Switch? Outside of the first party IP, I'd argue not many, if any tbh.

So I reiterate my initial question... "What was the point of killing the WiiU then?" I mean, outside of pissing off half the people who bought one.

Meh, anyway, at least I've got Zelda to look forward to, and I gotta say, that looks dope. That trailer legit gave me chills. So there's that.

Sorry for being the buzzkill, but at least I crashed the party over here while you guys are swirling around and getting hyped up over in the Social thread. But those are my thoughts on it at least.
Even more reasons for me to buy a PS4 over the Switch.

D

Deleted member

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild runs SMOOTHER on Wii U, according to Gamespot.

https://youtu.be/DLNYOJ6qXE8?t=152

>Lucy: "Have you played it on the Wii U and what are the main kinds of differences?"
>Dave: "I played it on the Wii U, at E3, and actually the Wii U version was smoother."
>Lucy: "... Yes."
>Dave: "I had a few moments where there were frame drops and when it came to aiming with the Joy Con controller it was VERY difficult, I didn't experience that with the Wii U game pad."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For those interested, supposedly the Switch can handle micro SDs up to 2tb.

Source.

D

Deleted member

They did say it was an old build right after.

Still, this almost seems contradictory.
Mostly referring to the other thread.

But it seems it's Switch version looks nicer, but runs less smoothly, and WiiU version doesn't look as great, but runs better cause it's optimized for it. Switch will be 900p, WiiU 720p, both suffer frame drops from time to time, Switch especially in portable, but WiiU is more stable. Which goes in line with what I said when I posted this:

Switch Off.jpg

For those interested, supposedly the Switch can handle micro SDs up to 2tb.

Source.
Well, it's gonna need them:

1484379840760m.jpg

Modern games take a lot of memory. Remember that a 10GB download was needed on the WiiU to let XCX run more smoothly. Then you got stuff like DLC and stuff. The new version of Skyrim also was over 20GB (BotW is 13.4GB). And the latest Call of Duty was over 100GB. 32GB is miserable, SD storage is basically MANDATORY with the Switch.

For the record, 64GB MicroSDs set you back around $40, 200GB ones go for $80. Anything 1TB and above hasn't properly hit the market.

Also:

1484371322886.png

Reminder that FIFA, Madden, Just Dance, Assassin's Creed, and even the latest Call of Duties at the time all came to the WiiU during its first two years. This is not good news if true. You can pretty much kiss 3rd party support goodbye.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The switch version looks much better.

D

Deleted member

WiiU version is a comparison of footage from over 7 months ago, that's why there's a noticeable difference in textures and draw distance. Switch is the latest build. Also, it coincides with what I said, Switch looks better, WiiU runs better. Also, part of the reason why Switch looks better, is cause WiiU doesn't have full color output (only 16-236), which means it's also missing the blackest of blacks, which are what help create the most contrast, and why WiiU looks kinda washed out. Switch on the other hand has the entire 0-255 range.

EDIT:

Also, carefully watch the video man:

Side by side, you can even see the WiiU having better shadows than Switch. And in the video, you can see the Switch version suffer frame dips where the WiiU version doesn't. BotW was built for WiiU, Switch was a port, obviously it'd run better on its native console. Just like it happened with TP with the GCN and Wii.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Pre-ordered the console Friday morning. I had the standard colors set in my mind on the way there and impulsively switched to the charming bicolored version at the register.

I'm pleased with the first year first party lineup for the Switch. Zelda + Mario Odyssey + Xenoblade + FE Warriors + Splatoon 2 + Mario Kart 8 port + Arms + casual party game new IP + unknown stuff destroys the Wii U's first year of Nintendo Land + NSMBU + Game & Wario + Pikmin 3 + Wii Fit U + Wind Waker port + Super Mario 3D World.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I couldn't afford it on launch.

I'll buy it and Zelda whenever I get money.

But it'll be a while.

D

Deleted member

The Nintendo Switch definetly had me excited the all in one gimmick and the Joy-Con Controllers, and Joy-Con Grip look comfortable and fun to use. Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 was the highlight. Price is fair I think it'll do we'll but I will be cautiously optimistic for now. Don't plan on getting it but I'll keep an eye on it.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

This could probably be either a larger problem or a solution.

I guess it depends on how one sees it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom