• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Nintendo says GameCube Controller Adapter only works with Smash Bros

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Yes, forcing their fanbase to use a controller they don't find comfortable = money in the bank.
Yes, actually. It is money in the bank for them, because a person has to buy both the peripheral and the new controllers if that person wants to have all controller options available to him/her. Just because the player is already used to the GC controller, and the new controller can induce hand cramps in some people, is no reason for Nintendo to make everything GC-compatible. That would just hurt their Pro controller sales.

That said, I wonder if the day will come when Nintendo has a standardized controller set-up that they re-use with each new console, like both Sony and Microsoft have done with their systems. Hopefully then people can stop being so butthurt about having MORE choices available (which neither of the other big consoles have).

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Yes, actually. It is money in the bank for them, because a person has to buy both the peripheral and the new controllers if that person wants to have all controller options available to him/her. Just because the player is already used to the GC controller, and the new controller can induce hand cramps in some people, is no reason for Nintendo to make everything GC-compatible. That would just hurt their Pro controller sales.

That said, I wonder if the day will come when Nintendo has a standardized controller set-up that they re-use with each new console, like both Sony and Microsoft have done with their systems. Hopefully then people can stop being so butthurt about having MORE choices available (which neither of the other big consoles have).
All I know is I was excited when I heard that they would work for all games, and now I am disappointed. I'm not sure how that makes me thrilled to buy Nintendo products, knowing that I am now being forced to go along with their plan. Here's what I'll do: I will go ahead and do whatever it takes to not go along with that plan. Because Nintendo just created a huge market for a 4-controller off-brand adapter that will work with all games.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So question. Doesn't THIS sound like a better deal now?

They are classic Pro's disguised as GC controllers.
And this is bound to work with all Pro-compatible games.

So I wonder if it's a better deal than the Adapter.

Since I'm currently only excited for SSB4 on the Wii U, I'm going to have to go with the Adapter, so I can keep using my cube controllers for SSB. But if I had at most ONE GC controller, I'd buy this one instead.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Wooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Digital Download confirmed.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
I don't really care about past games getting support, I just want to know that future games will be getting gc adapter support. Especially the new Zelda U.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
@ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi it's probably worth it simply for the extra shoulder button + ability to be used with other Wii U games (does it work with the Wii as well?)
Hmm. Interesting, didn't notice that extra shoulder button.
I guess it could be of some use.

I'm still a bit torn, though.

Game w/ new GC controller w/ Adapter (that will give more life to my current GC controllers, at least just for SSB4)
or
Game + Wii U Pro GC controller

I have a feeling both options will have the exact same price in the end, so I might go with the former deal.
I really only need GC controllers to play smash bros (, TvC) and cube games. Anything else, Wiimote + Nunchuck.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
This.....this is just horrible. And here I was hoping for the return of Nintendo's best controller to date as an option for games once again. How many more fans will you sacrifice just for the sake of a quick buck, Nintendo? I'll have to get an off-brand adapter now. At least that'll work with every Wii U AND Wii game.

Oh, I'm sorry. Something about coding? I was too busy watching how Generic Third Party does what Nintendon't.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
So question. Doesn't THIS sound like a better deal now?

They are classic Pro's disguised as GC controllers.
And this is bound to work with all Pro-compatible games.

So I wonder if it's a better deal than the Adapter.

Since I'm currently only excited for SSB4 on the Wii U, I'm going to have to go with the Adapter, so I can keep using my cube controllers for SSB. But if I had at most ONE GC controller, I'd buy this one instead.
Is this first party though??

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
3rd party made but first party funded I believe.At least that's what I recall it being back when it was announced.
The reason I ask is more because I have experience with the fast and reliable responsiveness of first party controllers. But if something is third-party made, I've had much less luck with that. If I'm going to pay for that kind of controller I'd like it to work haha

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it, the gcn and the adapter is our version of an arcade stick like those SF and marvel players have.
This is suppose to appeal to people who have been playing smash with gcn controller.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I bought the 360 Elite for Sonic 06. XD This so much. It's all a matter of preference. Logic isn't always at play here. "Worthwhile" is the more notable thing.
I thought Sonic 06 was one of the worst games of all time.

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
Most Smash maniacs who played melee WILL invest onto the adapter.
It would be the equivalent of an arcade stick which some people will pay up to $200 for a good one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought Sonic 06 was one of the worst games of all time.
Unless you played it, there's no reason to think that. It's purely opinion, and that's just plain not a fact. I consider Unleashed to take that role pretty well. It depends the person. Reviews are not objective, anyway.

Honestly, if it wasn't for that game(which I found very fun), I wouldn't have bothered buying one. That alone was incentive enough. And I don't regret it. I have other games, but none I played nearly as much. None I wouldn't bought the 360 for.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Doesn't bother me to be honest. Just hope I'll be able to dig up that Gamecube Controller from the attic :ohwell:

Wow people really upset about this; saying it's a waste of money etc. So y'all gonna complain about a one time purchase of 20 dollars, when you (or your parents) probably spend more and that on a monthly basis so that you can come here and complain? c'mon, man.

I'm still gonna get it because I got hella GC controllers to use, more I can buy and use for Melee, and more importantly I have enough so everyone can play. I don't know about y'all but I don't have enough / can't afford to buy more 40 dollar Wiimotes + 20-30 dollar peripherals or 50 dollar pro controllers, y'know--since we want to put the price out there for reference.

Personally, I already bought a 3DS just for smash, I bought a Wii U just for smash, and I'll happily buy a GC adapter just for smash. I'm not wasting money if I'm enjoying it.

20 dollars!--Jesus...

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I only hope that nintendo considers patching mario kart 8 to have gc controller support, but even then that's not a huge deal

D

Deleted member

I was seriously looking forward to not having to play PM with a classic controller anymore since I don't have a Wii....
You and me too. Well, I may also have to eventually get one of those Gamecube controllers that plug into a Wii remote for PM, but then I'm not saving money anymore...

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Most of my points have more or less been made in this forum, but I'd like to summarise it again:
1. Nintendo didn't say that they won't (pay attention to the grammatical tense) make the controller compatible with any other software other than SSBWiiU, but that it isn't compatible with anything but smash 4, hence the quote "The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software"
2. The vWii (Wii mode) on Wii U didn't originally have the ability to play Wii games utilising the Wii U gamepad but now it is possible to use it, not only as a screen, but also a sensor bar. This seems very hard to code to get both features in compared to USB controller support, but Nintendo still did it for their consumers due to demand (although it isn't exactly what they asked for). This gives us the possibility of GCN support for vWii.
3. New Super Mario Bros. U originally didn't have support for the Wii U Pro controller, but it was later added in a later patch. Mario Kart 8, or any other popular multiplayer game could have future support for Gamecube controller via a future patch.

Of course, this doesn't prove anything 100% as an argument could be that the Gamecube controller isn't as known as the Wii U Pro controller, or that's it is different to the Wii U Pro controller which literally has the name Wii U, while the Gamecube controller is a 2 generation old controller.
You could also say that the Wii U Gamepad couldn't be used as a controller for Wii games, but you can't forget the fact that the Wii U gamepad has an identical control scheme to the classical controller minus the extra features (touch screen, clickable triggers a.k.a L3 and R3)

With 8 Player smash in mind, I always thought that the GCN controller wouldn't be used as a Wii U Pro controller because the Pro controller has a significantly different layout scheme and Nintendo are very strict with that, as you can't even use Wiimote (and nunchuck combination) for some games, with Super Mario 64 being an example.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I guess I can kinda understand how, since the GameCube is missing one shoulder button which is needed for some games. But, it still should've been compatible with other games that didn't need that extra shoulder button and such like Wind Waker.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have Smash Wii U pre-ordered, but I only paid for the game, since I have no use for the GCN Controller bundle; I already have the Wii U Pro Controller, which will basically be my main controller for that game.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess I'm not particularly bothered by the fact for most games, the Wii U Pro controller doesn't bother me that much for the vast majority of games. Played Hyrule Warriors, MK8, etc fine with it and I'd probably do fine with it in Smash too. The only reason I'm bothering with the Gamecube adapter is that it will be the expected standard more then likely so I figure I might as well get used to playing it on that again even if only for Smash.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
It might be for now, but whats stopping them from future updates for other games to use it? Oh yeah, Nintendo stupidity.

Imagine if they added support for GC games, then we could play every Smash game on the Wii U. 64 off the WVC, Melee off the GC disk (Or possibly eShop VC if it came to that), and Brawl (By extension, Project M) and SSB4 off their respective disks.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Question..

I play ssbb / pm on my wii u bcuz I don't have a wii, will I be able to play brawl / pm with this adapter?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Would it be so hard to atleast let it work on wii-Mode?
I had a few N64 games I wanted to replay with the GC controller but I guess even that was too hard for them, even though all those games are already designed to have GC controls.
It's not about hard. It's about time required to do so vs profits gained from doing so. Nintendo don't have the cash pile to be doing things that take time for no revenue gained.

Question..

I play ssbb / pm on my wii u bcuz I don't have a wii, will I be able to play brawl / pm with this adapter?
No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom