• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Nintendo says GameCube Controller Adapter only works with Smash Bros

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If the GCN Controller adapter is only meant for Smash Wii U, then you're just better off using the Wii U Pro Controller.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't wii-mode already pretty much made for it?
You misunderstand. Not really. After it's created, every game has to be specific made to work with it.

Not all are. I'm not sure what games besides SSB4 will work with it, though.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I think if you're getting a game + adapter bundle and already own GC controllers then it's worth it. Otherwise not, it's a huge loss not to have this working globally for every game in my opinion.
It's not even worth it then. I would NEVER buy an accessory that would work for just one game. It's like getting a Kinect for the sole reason of playing Dance Central (a game which I absolutely ADORE despite not owning a Kinect). It's just not worth the extra money despite how good the game is.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
[/spoiler]
Any reason why you chose that particular spoiler image, one that is typically associated with NA and the USA? I'm just curious, that's all.

(can't remove the 2nd blank spoiler tag. I don't know why.)
(and deal with many NA people bragging about this fact), but I'm ok with that.
I'm from the US and was poking fun at your statement :)

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
One side said yes, one side says no. This is just like when they couldn't decide if Bayonetta came on a disc or not!

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why they at least couldn't make it compatible to the Wii mode. That shouldn't be too hard and you wouldn't need to optimize every game because the Wii OS originally included Gamecube games & controllers.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Yeah, people just want to play games in Wii mode with the GC controller that are compatible at the very least.

Why would anybody be against that?

Make your purchase and justify it to yourself but understand where other people are coming from too.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Dammit Nintendo, you had one job! ONE JOB!

And here I was looking forward to the possibility of playing games like actual games again without the BS gimmicks or terribad controllers that are too uncomfortable and shouldn't exist. (Wii U Pro)

Bleck. Oh well.

If the GCN Controller adapter is only meant for Smash Wii U, then you're just better off using the Wii U Pro Controller.
Um, what? I fail to see the logic in that statement since the adapter is still cheaper on it's own than the cramp inducing Wii U Pro Controller.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Um, what? I fail to see the logic in that statement since the adapter is still cheaper on it's own than the cramp inducing Wii U Pro Controller.
Only cramp inducing in your opinion. And the point is the WiiU Pro controller works with more than one game.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
The Wii Balance Board was used for more then 1 game you know...
And my question was, how many of the 20 million people got the balance board for just Wii Fit? I didn't say it was only created for 1 game.
Worst example ever. Congratulations. lmao...

And yeah no **** I don't like it and some will, nice observation--
Guess what? Some people DON'T LIKE IT, while some people do.
So if I can't comment on how it's stupid that it only works for one game, guess you can't exclaim your excitement either?
Pick one.
XD

I just answered your question "Who would buy a controller for 1 game?" by giving you examples ;)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Only cramp inducing in your opinion..
Oh please, I can promise you now that I'm not the only one who thinks that controller is awkward and uncomfortable.

Hopefully more games will still use the Wiimote and it's accessories so I can keep using the Classic Controller Pro instead since I find that to be a much better controller overall.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Eh, worth it. Though it IS a big disappointment that it won't work on Wii software. Guess I'll be keeping that one for a while longer.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Oh please, I can promise you now that I'm not the only one who thinks that controller is awkward and uncomfortable.
Others agree with you. Still an opinion of you and others. It's a valid opinion. You're allowed to have it. But not everyone agrees with you. I personally have small hands and have zero issues with the WiiU Pro Controller. I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just saying, some have issues with it, and others don't. Neither side is wrong, we just feel differently about the controller.

I actually prefer the classic Wii controller (not the pro one). I hope SSB WiiU can use these 2 Wii controllers (Classic and Classic Pro). But I think we will know Nov 21 if they can be used.

Last edited:

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
It's not even worth it then. I would NEVER buy an accessory that would work for just one game. It's like getting a Kinect for the sole reason of playing Dance Central (a game which I absolutely ADORE despite not owning a Kinect). It's just not worth the extra money despite how good the game is.
ayyyyy Dance Central fans in the house

Though really, I feel differently about the adapter & Dance Central because this is kinda the opposite situation. With Dance Central, the game is exclusive to one peripheral that supports other games, but with this adapter situation, the peripheral is exclusive to one game. Which is why, with Dance Central, I absolutely plan to pick up the things necessary to play Spotlight when I'm able to, but there are already gonna be, what, six other ways to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?

I do plan to pick up the adapter and a few Smash-branded GC controllers eventually before they get ridiculously expensive (so if I have someone else come over, they have options), but it's not so urgent now considering it might only be compatible with a handful of games, if even that.

I'm a little disappointed about this, but it wasn't really shocking once I actually thought about it - when the game was demoed at E3 it clearly showed the controllers as GC & not Classic/Pro, which was kind of a red flag.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Wii U controllers have a bit more buttons than the GCN controller. It'd be pretty difficult to remap everything.

Still picking up the adapter. No way in heck am I going to play Smash with anything else.

Mickeyo64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mickeyo64
Well I for one think it's bull **** that the adapter not only doesn't work for other games but also doesn't work for Wii games. I'm sure like me, many people thought that they could use the adapter to be able to play brawl and project m comfortably on the WiiU. But instead I have to keep my regular Wii as a brawl/project m machine. It's all just a matter of convenience and this adapter doesn't provide much convenience only working with one game at the moment...with that said I'm still probably going to get that bundle. Damn you Nintendo you're going to get my money but not without me complaining about it first.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im still going to buy it

It will save me plenty of cash due to not having to buy so many controllers

Besides i have 4 regular wiimotes with the plus connector

And i can get that adaptor that connects to the wiimote for gamecube play on games that work with the classic controller

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Bummer, oh well just glad it exists. The fact that it is wired is far more important to the tournament scene than the fact that it is a Gamecube controller. That is the primary reason Nintendo made this I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Would Wii games still work with the Adapter?

On the rare chance I ever return to Brawl/Mario Kart Wii, I'd like to at least be able to play them in their full glory.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm glad it works for Smash, but...what? You're not going to make any future games compatible with it?? I don't think that's what they're stating here, but if they were I'd be shocked at the stupidity

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This is still cheaper than buying 3-4 Wiiu Pro controllers (even if you don't have GC controllers yet) :o

I'm certainly getting the special Smash WiiU edition!
That kinda true. I still got my old gamecube controller and I gonna get that adapter.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Imo people need to stop living in the past. If you prefer the gamecube controls, this is for you, however can't we just adapt to the perfectly fine controls of the gamepad/Pro Controller? I see no need to buy an adapter that functions only with one game, albeit Smash Bros.
We will stop living in the past when we can play our Wii games on the Wii U with the controls they were intended for. Oh, and N64 VC.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
We will stop living in the past when we can play our Wii games on the Wii U with the controls they were intended for. Oh, and N64 VC.
AS WELL AS the inevitable Gamecube VC that will come out that no one wants to use a Pro Controller to play
I was referring to the people I see everywhere on the boards who whine about not having GameCube controls for Smash.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
I find it funny how people complain that this is usable at this point in time only for Smash. The GC controller support was fan service. For all those who loved it and asked for it for Smash, not for Mario Kart or Pikmin. Calling Nintendo lazy for this is laughable. I mean, this is better than no GC support at all, and it can only get better from here with future support/game updates for other games.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, saw that one coming.

Prediction: Nintendo gives us wired Pro support after SSB4, so we'll already have that useless hunk of plastic lying around.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, I was set on just learning how to play using the Game Pad even before I knew this, now I'll use the Game Pad with no regrets. I can see this being worth it if you're getting it in a bundle, but for those of us who had a Wii U and are getting this stuff separate, it hardly seems worth it.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I don't give a crap about controls. I got used to Smash on 3DS in a day, and I love using the gamepad for games. But what is even the point in selling the adapter separately if you can ONLY use it with the game it's bundled with?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I don't think there is any reason they could have an update adding GC compatibility

Khao

Smash Lord
Why would you want a controller for one game...?
Because you already have those controllers.

If they were selling some new special Smash Bros controllers exclusive to it, then yeah, there's pretty much no point in getting one.

But this is an adapter for old controllers. Old controllers that are still perfectly functional but still likely not seeing any use from tons of people. An adapter that makes all of your old controllers work instantly that's less than half the price of a new Wii U controller is very convenient.

I don't know why anyone was expecting this thing to work with other games, really, you don't ever see new hardware being magically compatible with old software, the software kind of has to be coded to work with the hardware in the first place.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The Gamecube adapter is a very specialized product to begin with. It seemed to have been created with the reason of the Wii U lack of wired methods of connection to those in the competitive scene. The adapter is a niche product for a niche audience to begin with. There isn't anything particularly wrong with that, it just means if it had no use for you, then it won't hurt you one way or another.

As far as it working with older games... I can't believe this is even a discussion, controller coding into older games on consoles is not plug and play, each control scheme that is added to the game has to be properly coded to work properly, with most of the teams dissolved as their projects are over is unlikely that there is anyone who going to recoded the Gamecube controller for each previous game it is released for the Wii U when the console already has other issues.

I am getting the Gamecube adapter mostly because I do expect it to be the standard control method for those areas with a scene. As I would like to possibility get involved this time around. It seemed worth going ahead with.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It doesn't really concern me, there isn't really any other game where I've really felt like I needed the gamecube controller to play it. Smash Bros is the only case, and I'm still grateful for that.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm still going to buy it because ssb with GC = not wasting time to get used to another controler scheme + GC is awesome :)

GC...

Tough, wind waker hd without GC :(

At least ssb4 with GC is a thing tough.
Wind Waker HD without GC, it's like Wind Waker, but miles better, the Gamepad's better for Wind Waker, accept it, although this IS kind of lame, I can't imagine why they would do this, can't they just make it work like a Classic Pro?

D

Deleted member

…So I practically wasted 250 coins for the N64 Paper Mario on my VC? Thats lazy as ****

the8thark

Smash Lord
Is this a problem?

It takes real development time to make this stuff work, and these teams from older games are all dissolved to work on new stuff. The only people this effects are people who haven't bought these games yet but are planning to. If the games had compatibility you wouldn't even go back and play them with a GC controller, you're just *****ing about it because you can't.

The only thing that really should matter to us is if future games can use GC, not past ones. Developers are now able to use GC controllers as a control option if they want to, now it's up to THEM if the GC will get more use than Smash or not.
I'm not ******** about it like you think I am. I just stared the facts. I'm cool with the WiiU gamepad and pro controller. I have not touched my GC controllers since the day I bought my WiiU (Because my gamecube needs moved from the Wii to Dolphin). And I use the Wii classic controller for Dolphin on my iMac.

I am aware it's on the devs hands now for new games. If it comes or not, I will not lose any sleep over it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
…So I practically wasted 250 coins for the N64 Paper Mario on my VC? Thats lazy as ****
no.

That's another story that doesn't depend on controller.

Btw, you never waste if it's first 3 games (fourth is another story).

also...

Wind Waker HD without GC, it's like Wind Waker, but miles better, the Gamepad's better for Wind Waker, accept it, although this IS kind of lame, I can't imagine why they would do this, can't they just make it work like a Classic Pro?

I in no way implied I DID NOT "accepted" (just that is btw, subjective), you missunderstood completely my perspective.

I was just implying that JUST (only that) the FEEL of having the original controller would have been cool since I played the original.

Also, that was a mere example. Like, there's other tittle I could name, but the point is that I really don't get the purpose of that point....

But that do make me wonder, you pay 20$ for an adapter that works with only one game while it has the potential to work with other tittle...That is what I was mostly refering to.

I do love enough gc for that price, but it just decreases its value a bit in my eyes.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they'll add support afterwards. I mean... why should they even say that on so many channels? It might have been the wrong time to commit to that. They included the touch controls for Pikmin 3 after a looong time after all.

Top Bottom