• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Nintendo says GameCube Controller Adapter only works with Smash Bros

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I just wanna say that I am really glad that I never migrated my Wii stuff to the Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Ugh...why don't they want to make us happy? Making customers happy makes them more money in the end. I definitely feel let down after hearing that it would work, but now won't. It would make perfect sense if they had allowed GCN controllers to be used in Wii mode, for example, seeing as how the original Wii had GCN controller ports!

Once again, a good idea not executed well. And this is coming from a huge Nintendo fan.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Smash bros competitive community ask for almost a year for a gamecube controller compatibility for the next installment of the game and now people are just spitting on it,a little ironic,if you think about it...

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
does this applie to the fight pads pdp is makeing?

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Cant believe that they flip flopped this so soon. I was so psyched to find out that it was gonna be Wii U compatible.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
No, they are just the guts of a Classic Controller in a GCN-like shell.
then why are people so mad just buy a fight pad it's like a gamecube controller just with extra button

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Wasn't it said that the adapter would work with Bayonetta? I remember reading about that a while back.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
It's fine, I've got my Mayflash adapter. Works like a charm.

Still getting the 4-socketed port, though; all of my peers prefer the GCN controller and it's wired, ensuring minimal input lag. Yay!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't know about y'all but I'm still plan to buy it despite being compatible only for Smash Wii U.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I don't mind. I was getting ready to use a Pro Controller, but when Nintendo announced the GC Adapter I threw my money down. I was ready to learn on another controller, but if I've given the option for a controller I'm used to I'll take it.

#changeisscary

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It's really not that difficult to make the Adapter work for Wii VC games. They are already programmed to work for this controller. This is about doing two things - one, not pissing off the people that went for all-new Wii U controllers before this scheme went into place and two, encouraging people who were waiting to get all-new controllers.

Nintendo is just really a mess with its controller options. There's just too many options, and the reason why GCN controllers endure is not necessarily because they are great controllers but because it was the last controller that uniformly worked for every single game. Options are good sometimes but it prevents us all from getting behind one control scheme and sticking with it.

Anyway is there any off-brand controller adapters that are good to use? I heard of some adapting the GCN controller before but I can't seem to find them now. I'm in the market for one, I'm not going to pay $20 for an adapter for one game.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
The Mayflash adapter is almost as expensive as the official Wii U GC adapter... and only for one controller (even if it's wireless).

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm thankful that we even have the Wii U's Nintendo GameCube controller adapter in the first place (I'm surprised that Nintendo even took that route), but this course of action seems to really limit its potential. The only reason I could see for it is that it would somehow possibly inhibit sales of Wii additional U Pro Controllers if multiple games allowed usage of people's old Nintendo GameCube controllers..

Anyway, regarding all Wii U games released prior to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the only other games I can see that would benefit from the adapter are Mario Kart 8 and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, maybe stuff like New Super Mario Bros. U.. (provided that the Wii U Gamepad interaction is not absolutely mandatory). I don't expect all past Wii U games to utilize GameCube controller support, but the best-selling ones could.. As for the Wii U's Wii mode for Wii games that natively support GameCube controller connectivity, it sounds like it should be possible on paper - then again, I don't have expertise in coding for game development.. Nevertheless, I feel like we are going to hear of some astute gamer who manages to modify the Wii U in some way to make something like this possible. :laugh:

As for future Wii U games that have Wii U Pro Controller support, I see no reason why Nintendo GameCube adapter support should be incompatible/unsupported other than "time constraints/no inclination to provide support". The only difference I see if the Wii U Pro Controller "Select" button is used somehow (as aside from 'menu' options, the "Power" button and "Home" button have no use within games like the other buttons do, as far as I know - basically, like how Wii games could still support GameCube controllers despite GameCube controllers lacking the Wii Remote's "Home" and "Power" buttons).. I'm a bit murky on how the shoulder buttons are assigned on the Wii U Pro Controllers (I know it has some form of them..I think I've heard "ZL" and "ZR"), but I don't think that those should provide too much trouble.

Why would you want a controller for one game...?
Maybe because you like that one game a lot. But I get your point and I agree, potential wasted here by Nintendo.
As @ the8thark the8thark said, it depends on how much dedication for a single game that you have. When I originally got my Nintendo Wii after its 2006 release, I don't think a GameCube controller was in the cards at that point, since I don't have any GameCube games, although I knew that the Wii still had support for them. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl's release, I decided to get a GameCube controller just for that game, since I had experience with it when playing Super Smash Bros. Melee (where it felt incredibly intuitive after a while)... Otherwise, I would've been limited to the "solo Wii Remote" setup or the "Wii Remote + Nunchuk" setup, neither of which I'm a fan of, even after all of these years (I resort to "solo Wii Remote" when it's my last option, and at least it vaguely resembles the {"directional input, "B", "A"} layout of the GameCube controller). Super Smash Bros. is also my favorite videogame franchise, so I have even more of an incentive to get accessories if they are manageable.

Additionally, if the game will have longevity (which most Super Smash Bros. games tend to have, in my opinion), the extra "controller/accessory" purchase is definitely justified, moreso with controllers (since they can potentially be used on multiple games if they're not a specialized variant). Super Smash Bros. releases have also been set wide apart across consoles, so at least if you get a controller for just one of the games, one will probably be using it for a while.

It's more about options rather than catering to the past here I think.

- Wiimote
- WiiU Pro controller
- GC controller
- WiiU gamepad
- 3DS (not sure if this is true)

Lots of different control schemes there for SSB WiiU. Maybe a few too many but you can't argue Nintendo is not giving us the choice here.

I am just a little sad that the Wii white classic controller is not an option as well. I really would want to play SSB WiiU with that.
I remember reading somewhere that the Nintendo 3DS can be used as a controller for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, so there's that..
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-let-you-use-your-3ds-a/1100-6422301/
Found thanks to Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ii-u-gets-one-more-controller-option-the-3ds/

As for the Classic Controller (Pro), I don't particularly care for it (mostly due to directional pad placement) now, also given its discontinuation and the Wii U Pro Controller succeeding it. However, since the Wii U supports it anyway, it would be nice to see support provided for it or patched in for it at a later date.

I don't get why they at least couldn't make it compatible to the Wii mode. That shouldn't be too hard and you wouldn't need to optimize every game because the Wii OS originally included Gamecube games & controllers.
This. The only issue I see is that the Wii U may need to be in "Wii U mode" in order to interpret the signals from the "Wii U's GameCube controller adapter" as actual GameCube controller inputs, but I'm not sure.. :/

I find it funny how people complain that this is usable at this point in time only for Smash. The GC controller support was fan service. For all those who loved it and asked for it for Smash, not for Mario Kart or Pikmin. Calling Nintendo lazy for this is laughable. I mean, this is better than no GC support at all, and it can only get better from here with future support/game updates for other games.
Maybe they'll add support afterwards. I mean... why should they even say that on so many channels? It might have been the wrong time to commit to that. They included the touch controls for Pikmin 3 after a looong time after all.
I agree that this service is better than no GameCube controller support at all, but if Nintendo is willing/able to provide patches/updates for Pikmin 3 controls as mentioned by @ Rueckkoppler Rueckkoppler and a Wii U update enabling Off-TV Play for Wii games on the Wii U Gamepad, I don't see why future games can't utilize the adapter as well instead of just unnecessarily limiting it to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

does this applie to the fight pads pdp is makeing?
No, they are just the guts of a Classic Controller in a GCN-like shell.
then why are people so mad just buy a fight pad it's like a gamecube controller just with extra button
I think people may be somewhat disillusioned because of the wireless connectivity of that proposed option (as opposed to the "Wii U-GCN adapter" being wireless). But I assume that future games would also need to integrate Wii Classic Controller support, and given its discontinuation, it seems that the prospect is unlikely..

well what did you expect? Had they wanted GC controls for a ton of games they wouldn't have made an adapter.. the Wii U would have had the ports built in.
Wouldn't built-in ports increase the Wii U's cost, though? At least this way, people can choose whether or not they need the presence of GameCube controller ports. Not every Wii game had GameCube controls (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess comes to mind, particularly since it actually released on the Nintendo GameCube as well..however, it was a Wii launch title and the GameCube version released later, so I guess it's a weaker example.) despite the Wii having built-in GameCube ports from the get-go until the release of the Wii Mini model and the Wii Family Edition model, but developers still bothered to make compatibility for GCN controllers.

Wii U controllers have a bit more buttons than the GCN controller. It'd be pretty difficult to remap everything.

Still picking up the adapter. No way in heck am I going to play Smash with anything else.
The only button I see mattering is if the "Select" button on the Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller provides a significantly-needed feature. The GamePad's TV button doesn't matter due to lack of a screen, and the "Home" and "Power" buttons are mostly for convenience. Everything else appears identical to the situation that the Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl had with the Nintendo GameCube controller and Wii Remote (which actually has 2 extra buttons, 1 and 2 - I'm considering the "minus" button as equivalent to the Wii U Pro Controller's Select button and "plus" as equivalent to the Wii U Pro Controller's Start button)..

The shoulder button discrepancy might cause an issue, but if Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS can work, I think the GCN controller can, too.

For anyone else who wants to compare:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sigh...if we just had a wired version of this conceptual design that also supported wireless connectivity (I think that's possible, right?), I think a lot of issues would be solved nicely (unless you're not a fan of the Nintendo GameCube controller design):

I'm personally willing to try out (potentially adapt if I have no choice) the Wii U Pro Controller, although I wish Nintendo would settle on a consistent "Pro controller" design.. >_>

*Also, does anyone know if the Wii Classic Controller's Home Button has any effect on the Wii U (in "Wii mode", and in "Wii U mode")? I'm hoping that the "PHP Wii Classic Controller within Nintendo GameCube controller's shell" item becomes more widespread...

In any case, I'll likely still get the Wii U's GCN adapter, although this turn of events is quite saddening.. I only wonder how Super Smash Bros. 5 and the Wii U's successor will fare in terms of controller compatibility.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Hm, that's unfortunate, though for some reason it's hard for me to picture a lot of Wii U games lending GC support. It's possible, I suppose.

Either way, I do feel kind of bad for those who want to get this. But I personally think even creating a GC adaptor specifically for Smash on Wii U is a pretty cool thing in itself, even if I don't use a GameCube controller.

I just hope Wiimote + Nunchuk is a viable option because I don't think I saw anyone post it as one.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
While I'd like it if the adapter worked with other games, buying an adapter isn't a huge expense, and I already own functioning Gamecube controllers, so picking up an adapter is still cheaper than buying 4 Wii U Pro controllers.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Opportunity missed. :(

Well, hopefully they'll work for GameCube virtual console games if they ever decided to do that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd be surprised if it doesn't work for games in the future.

On the other hand, they do really need to push the GamePad, so I'm grateful that they will even let me use the GC controller for Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm pretty sure they will implement a GC VC and/or HD ports of GC games that will use the controller in the future. Especially if they're ports of games that require the trigger buttons, or any future game that may need trigger buttons.

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
Oh, I guess regardless of how the adapter is supported on the Wii U past Smash (if at all), there's always potential PC stuff to mess around with. I know there's plenty of GC USB adapters floating around already, but the 4-in-1 deal here for basically the same price it would be for an unofficial adapter w/one port is pretty sweet.

(Of course a scenario where you would want 4 of any type of controller to play something on a computer might be rare, but hey, it's the principle of the thing)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
....Wouldn't it be a good idea to at least incorporate it to Mario Kart 8?

I mean, it would work perfectly on some games (Like Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD) but some others would make a lot of sense to me why it wouldn't work for (like I was actually talking about this same subject today with a friend discussing how Mass Effect would work with it)

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
....Wouldn't it be a good idea to at least incorporate it to Mario Kart 8?

I mean, it would work perfectly on some games (Like Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD) but some others would make a lot of sense to me why it wouldn't work for (like I was actually talking about this same subject today with a friend discussing how Mass Effect would work with it)
I was so excited to have it for Mario Kart 8 then it's like oh yeah it's Nintendo, you can't be excited about something.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I honestly kind of doubt this is permanent. If the Wii U rebounds like I think it will, they'll give more reason to buy the system ie downloadable GCN titles. This fits with that perfectly.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I honestly kind of doubt this is permanent. If the Wii U rebounds like I think it will, they'll give more reason to buy the system ie downloadable GCN titles. This fits with that perfectly.
It may be because they didn't want to reveal their plans for GCN VC too early, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It may be because they didn't want to reveal their plans for GCN VC too early, but I'm not holding my breath.
Oh I'm not holding mine either but the way they've been handling VC this time around is pretty abysmal. They really need to at the very least offer everything right now that the Wii Shop had. Then more.

I don't understand these game companies offering less and less selection with each new generation. All three of them do it.

WaltzForVenus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Young_Cam
Honestly i was only going to use the adapter for smash..

still a little bit disappointed though(barley), but for what its worth we are still able to use controllers from 2 generations ago

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Wait, so if I connect it and try to play Brawl on my WiiU it wont work?

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
This actually makes a lot of sense, because many people already own Gamecube controllers. If Nintendo is trying to sell more stuff, this is the most logical thing they could do. It forces a person to spend 20 dollars at minimum (if you're lucky enough to have 4 functional GC controllers, like me) to buy the adapter if that person wants to use GC controllers for Smash4 (which seems to be the case with some of you). Turn that around and people have to spend about 40 or 50 dollars per Pro controller in order to play new games. Which means that Nintendo gets at least an extra 60 or 70 dollars out of each person who wants both control options.

Looks like Nintendo is finally getting some good ideas out of their marketing department, which makes me very happy and hopeful for the future.

JOE!

Smash Hero
What I simply dont get is how games transferred from my Wii's VC that worked with the Gamecube controller don't on the wii u... unless I am missing something (as you still go to the wii mode to use them, no?)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Maybe they'll add support afterwards. I mean... why should they even say that on so many channels? It might have been the wrong time to commit to that. They included the touch controls for Pikmin 3 after a looong time after all.
That has more to do with Miamoto being kinda looney then supporting another control scheme.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
That's not surprising. The Wii U already has a pro controller and the game pad is a solid controller as well. Why would the need to start adding the gamecube controller option to any future games? When they already have two perfectly fine control options. The gamecube adapters is being produced simply to appease Smash Bros fans and to make a quick buck. I bet a year or so after smash is out it'll be hard to come by first party gamecube adapters. They'll make them till sales start to drop and then they'll let them fade away.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
This actually makes a lot of sense, because many people already own Gamecube controllers. If Nintendo is trying to sell more stuff, this is the most logical thing they could do. It forces a person to spend 20 dollars at minimum (if you're lucky enough to have 4 functional GC controllers, like me) to buy the adapter if that person wants to use GC controllers for Smash4 (which seems to be the case with some of you). Turn that around and people have to spend about 40 or 50 dollars per Pro controller in order to play new games. Which means that Nintendo gets at least an extra 60 or 70 dollars out of each person who wants both control options.

Looks like Nintendo is finally getting some good ideas out of their marketing department, which makes me very happy and hopeful for the future.
Yes, forcing their fanbase to use a controller they don't find comfortable = money in the bank.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
That's not surprising. The Wii U already has a pro controller and the game pad is a solid controller as well. Why would the need to start adding the gamecube controller option to any future games? When they already have two perfectly fine control options. The gamecube adapters is being produced simply to appease Smash Bros fans and to make a quick buck. I bet a year or so after smash is out it'll be hard to come by first party gamecube adapters. They'll make them till sales start to drop and then they'll let them fade away.
Yar, it's pretty much there for Smash. But Wii games that support Gamecube controllers should be able to use them too. Not everyone likes the Classic controller that much (I don't mind it, however. I played Brawl on one for years before I decided to give in and do GCN again)

Top Bottom