• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Power gives brawl 10/10

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
you have not played this game, so you cannot say that lozoot is better. i guess by that same logic i can't say that IT is better. im sorry. but lozoot does not have multiplayer, and the bosses are too easy.
Touche'. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
When has Nintendo Power ever scored a Nintendo made game anything less than a 7.

Although 10/10 is fully understandable.
They gave Wario: Master of Disguise like a 3 or a 4 out of 10. And rightfully so; that game blew chunks.:urg:

I like Wario, but that game stanky-stank-stank.

I'm glad everyone seems to give Brawl a perfect score, but who the heck listens to reviews anymore? We've got the internet.:lick:

Megasabin

Smash Rookie
Why do any of you guys care about reviews. Just the fact that you are on a SSBB message board means most of you you are biased enough that you all will praise any magazine if it gives brawl a good review and call it ******** and wrong if it gives it a bad one, regardless of the quality of the review.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Why is everyone unsurprised?

I never expected it to get a 10 out of 10. That's insane. I don't think MP3 deserved it either.

NOTHING should get a 10 unless it is, in fact, the best game of all time.
That's unreasonable, unless you used an 'out of (the number of games created and have yet to be created)' system. They're brackets, and thus more than one game can fit into each one. Thus, really, the top 5% of games should get it, mathematically. Even if you don't want to use that system, it's still unhelpful for those trying to find out about the game if you lump the 9.5's and the 10's together, which is what will happen.
And, it's impossible to know if it will be the best game of all time, thus nothing, including the best game of all time, will be able to be rated as such, because everyone will be waiting for something to surpass it.

As a side note, good to see you, lol.

Why do any of you guys care about reviews. Just the fact that you are on a SSBB message board means most of you you are biased enough that you all will praise any magazine if it gives brawl a good review and call it ******** and wrong if it gives it a bad one, regardless of the quality of the review.
Just because we're interested in a game it doesn't automatically mean we're biased about it. I can't speak for everyone here, but I honestly want to know how Brawl is looking. I'm going to buy it either way, but I'm not going to go into denial if it turns out to be a less than perfect game.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I want my magazine right now. I seriously do.

That review, along with every other perfect/near-perfect review, is going on my bedroom door.

Maybe I should make an altar, too. I mean, it deserves it.

After all, it is the Greatest Game of All Time.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
They gave Wario: Master of Disguise like a 3 or a 4 out of 10. And rightfully so; that game blew chunks.:urg:

I like Wario, but that game stanky-stank-stank.

I'm glad everyone seems to give Brawl a perfect score, but who the heck listens to reviews anymore? We've got the internet.:lick:
Nintendo did not make Wario: Master of Disguise... and while that game was kinda lame... It did have its moments.

D

Deleted member

Wario: Master of Disguise and Pokemon Battle Revolution both got 6.5's.

The 10-point rating did exist in the N64 days. OoT got a 9.5, however, surprisingly. So did Super Mario Galaxy.

Oh, and Brawlmaniac, me too:)

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo did not make Wario: Master of Disguise... and while that game was kinda lame... It did have its moments.
Wario was so stiff...:laugh:
Plus it didn't follow any canon whatsoever.

Here's to being the real Wario on Brawl!:):laugh::):)

And just wait till one of those "other" magazines gets to review Brawl; they'll make fun of it solely because other mags grant it a high score. You know how they work.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'd say their Metroid Prime 3 rating is close, but I'd only give it a 9.5/10 at best. As for Brawl, it's an accomplishment to get a 10/10, higher than TP, Galaxy, and well... every other Wii game except Prime 3. They tend to be fairly unbiased, usually.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
It will be hard to find a review that doesn't have a perfect, without specifying why. I know many Smashboardians (I'll keep that in mind) might be able to point out some topics that may lead to an imperfect score, but dare not to say it.

I'm just waiting for the review that points out all aspects, thorough examination, and gives nothing but praise to the game. It will come soon.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I'm going to roll my eyes at all of those who are saying "GOTY confirmed", and "best game of all time", until I actually get my hands on the game. Just seems like sensationalism. It will for sure be a good contender for GOTY, but it has yet to be determined how it will stack up with other games like MGS4, GTAIV, etc.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
SSBB > Mario Galaxy > TLOZerda:OoT

So, 2 best games of all time in wii.

GO GO AND DO A BARR /punched

So, i'm hoping for this game surpasing mario galaxy :)

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
It is under new management. It shouldn't be as biased as before.
He states that there is nothing major that could bring the score down so it makes sense to me.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Just so everyone knows, NP rarely gives 10/10s even for Nintendo's own games. They're pretty unbiased for the most part. Just go look up some scores they gave for popular Wii games (MP3, Galaxy, and TP would be nice choices to look for). So, don't go thinking that this doesn't mean anything. :)
Haha, no.

NP is the biased magazine out. They've gotten better as iof late, but when Barbie Horse Adventures 8 is scoring on the plane as CustomRobo, you know they're just trying to push units.

Mr_Smiley

Smash Rookie
How unexpected... :laugh:

Of course, this game is going to get high ratings. Just because it's rated lower than 10/10 or 5/5 or whatever scale they're going by, doesn't mean that the reviewer is stupid like so many people here are claiming. I have a huge feeling that this game will disappoint.
BLASPHEMER!!!!

But seriously, I doubt the game could be perfect. I have a feeling there might be some kinks to work out as far as online goes but it will still be the best smash bros. yet! At least it's looking that way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't exactly understand where people are getting the idea that this is the Best Game of All Time. Granted, it'll definately be the Nintendo game of the decade but it really isn't innovative enough to deserve the title of Best Game of All Time. I think it's a scretch too to already call it Game of the Year. Many people said that Melee was going to be the game of 2001 and then got the crap beaten out of it by Halo. Really, in the long run, Brawl will be like Melee and the original; one of the best Nintendo games out there until the sequel comes along, improves on nearly every aspect, and then makes it look like crap in comparison.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
That's unreasonable, unless you used an 'out of (the number of games created and have yet to be created)' system. They're brackets, and thus more than one game can fit into each one. Thus, really, the top 5% of games should get it, mathematically. Even if you don't want to use that system, it's still unhelpful for those trying to find out about the game if you lump the 9.5's and the 10's together, which is what will happen.
And, it's impossible to know if it will be the best game of all time, thus nothing, including the best game of all time, will be able to be rated as such, because everyone will be waiting for something to surpass it.

As a side note, good to see you, lol.
Darnet Jon, way to intellectually own me again.

But just because the rating system is out of 10 with the possible option of a .5 doesn't mean that it is statistically accurate to claim 5% of games will achieve that score. It's similar to a bell curve -- most games will be in the middle with a score of 4-7, while very few games score above or below that range.

It's my opinion that a game should never recieve a 10 out of 10 because a perfect score represents a perfect game.

However, this is flawed because nothing is perfect, and therefore nothing will recieve a 10. So, I suppose that if a game is arguably the best game out of all games that came before it, the game should recieve a 10. If another game comes along that is arguably better than the previous game that recieved a 10, it too, shall recieve a 10. Therefore, as time rolls on, it should become increasingly difficult to achieve a perfect score.

Either this, or you can simply claim a 10 out of 10 means "as close to perfection as possible."

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
what a surprise huh? a Nintendo magazine giving a Nintendo game a great score. what a shock.:rolleyes:

antimatter

Smash Lord
they've only given three games ten so far since 2004, and Resident Evil 4 was one of them. they are not completely slanted in their home's direction, they will give props to third party games that deserve it and tell how bad a first party game may be. Wario: Master of Disguise anyone?

D

Deleted member

I found a link to the list of reviews in the new Nintendo Power:

GoNintendo said:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 10
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - 7.0
Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Arts - 6.5
No More Heroes - 8.0
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer - 6.5
Bomberman Land - 5.0
Apollo Justice: Ace Attourney - 8.0
Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles - 7.5
WWII Aces - 3.0
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors - 7.0
Naruto: Ninja Destiny - 7.0
Zoo Tycoon 2 DS - 7.0
Insecticide - 6.5
Harvest Moon DS Cute - 7.5

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
well if they hadn't gave it a 10/10 nintendo probably would've came over to the reviewers house and killed his family infront of him and then him...

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Seriously. You expect Nintendo not to give their own game a 10/10?
...This has been said a few times before...just because it has "Nintendo" in the name doesn't mean Nintendo owns it. Nintendo Power is no longer owned by Nintendo, and thus has no reason to give Nintendo's games a 10/10.

well if they hadn't gave it a 10/10 nintendo probably would've came over to the reviewers house and killed his family infront of him and then him...
NVM, I guess they do have a reason.

However, this is flawed because nothing is perfect, and therefore nothing will recieve a 10. So, I suppose that if a game is arguably the best game out of all games that came before it, the game should recieve a 10. If another game comes along that is arguably better than the previous game that recieved a 10, it too, shall recieve a 10. Therefore, as time rolls on, it should become increasingly difficult to achieve a perfect score.

Either this, or you can simply claim a 10 out of 10 means "as close to perfection as possible."
Well then Brawl can and should receive a 10/10 because it is looking like the best game out there so far (I hope). And I agree that it should be harder and harder to get a 10/10 as time goes on.

It'd be nice if they had some other way of denoting a good/bad game. A base 10 system (or with .5's it'd be 20) just seems too inaccurate for rating so many games. A larger system would be handy because it'd give you more room to work with, but most magazines use out of 100 and only go by 5's, so it's pretty much the same thing. I wish they would do some sort of award for games that really deserve it, like "Best wii game so far" or whatever. But then they'd always be feuding over what games deserve awards, etc. Oh heck, I guess it's fine how it is.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say, I've seen Nintendo Power hype some pretty crummy games in the past (I'm actually thinking back into the NES days of the '80s) so it's hard to put a ton of stock into their reviews. However, in this particular case they may just happen to be right, since this game truly does look amazing.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Hee, I read my copy a few hours ago.

As my friend said, SSBB is Video Games: The Game. A kind of end-all, be-all to video games. What pleases me most (being mostly a lone gamer) is that Subspace Emissary is apparently really freaking long, and that itself is sooo much to look forward to, holy crap.

NP's got me all excited again.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Reading the review, it's incredible. They hype the game up so much...

Even better, they said the online part of Brawl (possibly the best feature), wasn't even FACTORED into the review! It might've gotten better than a 10 for all we know. ^.^

Top Bottom