• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo polls the public about demand for a Brawl sequel

Rash

Smash Ace
I'd sooner support DLC for Brawl, in all honesty. The game itself is fine as it is; if anything we just want more stages, characters, stage builder pieces, and maybe items or something. Really, Nintendo dodged making Melee 2.0 by releasing Brawl, which is a good thing. However, this early in the game, it would actually be okay to make a Brawl 2.0 in the form of DLC.

Again, DLC is possible if Nintendo would just allow play off of an SD card or would just release an external harddrive. I don't want to hear sh*t about how Wii can't have DLC, because it can, it just needs the extra space WHICH IS EASILY ATTAINABLE.

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
No, they're talking about making another one for the Wii, which would mean less than 5-6 years. Maybe 2-3 years(they'll probably just simply take Brawl and add a couple things to Brawl and resell it instead of trying to make a new game from scratch).

Just like the article said, Nintendo knows that it'd be stupid NOT to make another sequel to SSBB because the SSB is a huge franchise.

Though, what Nintendo "is" trying is to see if people would like to see a SSB4 sooner(AKA appearing on the Wii, instead of the 8th gen console for Nintendo).

Personally, it depends how much more they'll add in SSB4.

If they add:
1. Better online
2. Better stage builder.
3. Possibly add a lot more options to satisfy everyone(AKA, add options to make it play like Melee or Brawl).For example, let us enable or disable Wavedashing and other things like that.
4. Allow up to 6 player FFA(It'd be a little chaotic with 6 players but it'd be fun).
5. I don't really care about new characters too much(since I'm pretty content with the characters) but of course, add more characters.
6. If they do a single player again, make it like SSE "EXCEPT" have computer allies also help you out and include more boss battles BUT include LESS platforming/random enemy fighting.

About SSE, personally I enjoyed it and really like the cutscenes and stuff. Of course I hated the last stage(the maze one) and the second to last stage.

The last stage forced us to make the entire game over again. That was ridiculous and it was really tedious.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the Adventure Mode.

The second to last stage(Subspace) was bad. I hated having to "refind" everyone again. So we lost all our characters and now we have to look for them in a stage, which was kind of lame.
I agree with you on these points

Rash

Smash Ace
The option to enable/disable wavedashing would be ****ing stupid. You know it. Momentum-based airdodging is permanent. It's not going to change. It's also an IMPROVED GAMEPLAY MECHANIC from a game-design perspective. What don't people understand about how it's up to the players to make a game competitive, not the developer? You're living in a dream if you think devs are going to set aside extra effort in order to allow options in-game that can be altered to form better competitivity.

6footninja

Smash Ace
SSB for the DS?! Are they out of their minds?! That'd be terrible D:.
Not really, if you're not looking to find online play, then what's wrong with playing some smash on road trips, or when your just "chillazin" where you don't have access to brawl?
I mean I hafta admit, I have the urge to play smash in the most inconvenient of places...

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
ssb for the ds could work also all i want is no more friend codes make anyone not suck more organized friend matches voice chat and a change in vas for sonic and pit i'd shell out 50$ for that than brawl would be perfect
You wont get rid of Friend coddes, ever, Voice chat may happen (if its on DS), but Friend codes are permanent, and people will have to learn to deal with that =\

also DS SSB would seem really awkward to me, but I suppose it is possible...

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
Brawl 2?....
3 words: Rayman4 Raving Rabbids(1/2)......
Anyway, we all know that a new Smash would suck terribly, Sakurai stated right from the beginning that he's not gonna make a Smash4, if it'll ever be made he won't be in charge of it, and that already makes the game be bad.

Wait...What? I keep hearing this, can someone find me the interview where Sakurai said there would not be a 4th Smash Brothers? Because I've never seen it.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
It was in the "Iwata asks" article I think. Well he stated that he wont do more SB game but do you really think that Nintendo will let go such a money maker? Yeah right. Its normal for games to have really long franchises. We will soon have "Tekken 6" and "Final Fantasy XIII" lol. A smash 4 will be made.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
I suppose Smash 4 is bound to happen someday, but why so soon? After all the work that went into Brawl, it would just all seem like a waste if they were to just release the next game within the next 4-5 years.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Hmm... I think this is cause Sakurai wants more money. No offense to the Kirby games but Sakurais real fortune is in Smash Bros. He knows if he just brought the same game out but with Ridley it would sell 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 copies.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Brawl 2?....
3 words: Rayman4 Raving Rabbids(1/2)......
Anyway, we all know that a new Smash would suck terribly, Sakurai stated right from the beginning that he's not gonna make a Smash4, if it'll ever be made he won't be in charge of it, and that already makes the game be bad.
Thanks for speaking for all of us.

:p

Trozz

Smash Ace
A game to keep the Smash franchise going?
Sure. I'd only oppose this if the games haven't been progressively better. They'll have to work hard to make a game better than Brawl.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
I would be for a sequel. They could:

-add more characters (obviously)
-add more stages (each character should have their own stage).
-cut the fluff (SSE, Masterpieces, etc...)
-Upgrade Stage Builder

Assuming they made the sequel, I'd like to see it geared more towards the multiplayer aspect. SSE was terribly broken, terribly designed, and the story made no sense.
Quote for the ****ing win.

Stage Builder is VERY fun, but VERY limited. The things we could achieve with that are amazing.

I also had many "WTH just Happened" moments seeing the story progress. The respective universes of each character don't intertwine as much as they should, it's as if they're just put into random places, introduced, then team up with no rhyme or reason.

f1r3 3mbl3m

Smash Cadet
I would buy it, no matter what, but it would be cool if they had a couple of new chars, like Geno and Megaman, and maybe George Bush, so I can beat him up with Ike. Oh, and it would be great on the DS.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Brawl 2.0......Idk, you say Melee 2.0 would be a bad idea and you get flamed...you say Brawl 2.0 would be nice and get flamed....personally it wouldnt matter if they released Brawl 2
I'd buy it, but not now...later, its too soon

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just look at the comments on that link.
SSB for the DS?! Are they out of their minds?! That'd be terrible D:
And would I have a Brawl sequel? I'd rather have brawl first....
Terrible? meh, I don't think so. Give it these graphics...
http://abysswolf.deviantart.com/art/Get-Ready-to-BRAWL-Fin-57207197

...A few more characters, stages, items...

BUT if this happens, I don't think it should for like another year or two. We haven't had the game THAT long...geeze...

@Kirby, Gotenks absorbed: Only one of those was a good idea. And only three are even remotly possible.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
a sequel of brawl would be nice but i would rather have a sequel to the super smash bros game with new third-party characters (particularly sonic, ratchet, jak, spyro, and master chief). Nintendo is running out on ideas on what characters to add in SSB series.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Sequel for Brawl, why not? We Europeans could even have it before actual Brawl :).

But seriously speaking, I think that next SSB (if it were to come) shouldn´t be released in many years. Give ppl time to get to know Brawl and start hoping for more first.

And it´s off topic, but I´ll have to comment the competitive Brawl/wawedash. It weird how so many just seem to want to pay money for Melee 2.0 considering that it would mean that you would basically buy something you already have... Any game isn´t competitive at first, it´s made competitive. Brawl is slower than Melee, start creating ways to make it faster. There´s no wawedash, learn to play without it or find a way to replace it. Wawedash was removed so that airdodge could be transformed so that it doesn´t lead to helpless state anymore, so it can actually be used to dodge attack ----> counter with midair. That´s something that could lead to fast-paced midair fights and couldn´t have been done in Melee.

D

Deleted member

a sequel of brawl would be nice but i would rather have a sequel to the super smash bros game with new third-party characters (particularly sonic, ratchet, jak, spyro, and master chief).
:laugh: What are the odds?

Nintendo is running out on ideas on what characters to add in SSB series.
Mario:
Bowser Jr.
Waluigi (Please, no)
Petey Piranha
Birdo

Donkey Kong:
King K.Rool
Dixie Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Vaati
Tingle (Again, no)
Wolf Link/Midna

Metroid:
Ridley
Sylux

Yoshi:
N/A

Kirby:
N/A

Star Fox:
Krystal
Peppy "Do a barrel roll!" Hare

Pokemon:
Munchlax
Blaziken

Ice Climber:
N/A

Fire Emblem:
Lyn
Miciah

Game & Watch:
N/A

Kid Icarus:
Palutena
Medusa

WarioWare:
Mona
Ashley
Jimmy P.

Pikmin:
Louie
The Hocatate President

Robot:
N/A

Metal Gear:
Liquid Snake
Big Boss
Gray Fox

Sonic:
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Jet

Animal Crossing:
K.K. Slider
Tom Nook

Other:
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Ray (Custom Robo)
Ray (Disaster: Day of Crisis)
Laughing Dog (Duck Hunt)
Mii (Wii)

As for a sequel to Subspace Emissary, I can cleary imagine a Smash Bros. RPG.:chuckle:

JusticeWillPrevail

Smash Cadet
I'd love if they eventually made a new Brawl. I myself actually did enjoy SSE (probably since I didn't play it all at one time and had normal matches in between playing). So I'd be really looking forward to a new brawl. Just not too soon though we barely had Brawl lol.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
The survey is obviously for future purposes.

From my point of view, its likely that we're gonna get a Smash 4 in the future.

But that would be in at least 5-6 years.
No, they're talking about making another one for the Wii, which would mean less than 5-6 years. Maybe 2-3 years(they'll probably just simply take Brawl and add a couple things to Brawl and resell it instead of trying to make a new game from scratch).

Just like the article said, Nintendo knows that it'd be stupid NOT to make another sequel to SSBB because the SSB is a huge franchise.

Though, what Nintendo "is" trying is to see if people would like to see a SSB4 sooner(AKA appearing on the Wii, instead of the 8th gen console for Nintendo).

Personally, it depends how much more they'll add in SSB4.

If they add:
1. Better online
2. Better stage builder.
3. Possibly add a lot more options to satisfy everyone(AKA, add options to make it play like Melee or Brawl).For example, let us enable or disable Wavedashing and other things like that.
4. Allow up to 6 player FFA(It'd be a little chaotic with 6 players but it'd be fun).
5. I don't really care about new characters too much(since I'm pretty content with the characters) but of course, add more characters.
6. If they do a single player again, make it like SSE "EXCEPT" have computer allies also help you out and include more boss battles BUT include LESS platforming/random enemy fighting.
The option to enable/disable wavedashing would be ****ing stupid. You know it. Momentum-based airdodging is permanent. It's not going to change. It's also an IMPROVED GAMEPLAY MECHANIC from a game-design perspective. What don't people understand about how it's up to the players to make a game competitive, not the developer? You're living in a dream if you think devs are going to set aside extra effort in order to allow options in-game that can be altered to form better competitivity.[/QUOTE]

Well I mean the option to "disable and enable" wavedashing as an example of "switching gameplay" from Melee to Brawl option.

I mean there should be an option to revert and change the physics, speed, gameplay similar to Melee.

As you know, Sakurai knows about the competitive scene in Melee and knows about all the tricks of Melee.

Well, he wanted Brawl to be a lot more newb friendly by removing most of the advanced techs, slowing down the gameplay a bit, etc.

In Iwata asks interview, he even said that Brawl is made so that even a newb who only played the game for 10 minutes can beat a veteran player without too much difficulty(of course, a little exaggerating but is true).

Sakurai didn't want veterans ponding on and beating newbs so he removed a lot of depth Melee had.

Also, yes, I know that the "advance techs" in Melee are glitches and were unintentional but it all worked out and made the game a lot deeper.

Now, the question shouldn't be "why add an option to switch between Brawl and Melee 2.0 gameplay?" The question should be "Why not?".

Notably, there are definitely people who really liked the Melee gameplay a lot. And of course people who like the Brawl gameplay over the Melee gameplay.

So why not have an option to switch between the gameplay mechanics and satisfy EVERYONE?

You're living in a dream if you think devs are going to set aside extra effort in order to allow options in-game that can be altered to form better competitivity.

You misunderstood, what I posted WAS NOT what "I think the devs are going to do", what I posted was "suggestion and ideas and my opinions on what should be in SSB4".

I never said "The devs are totally going to do what I posted", I just posted my opinions and ideas for SSB4.

If you read, people were discussion what should be in SSB4 and why should they buy SSB4 if it came out within just 2-3 years. So I joined in the discussion my posting my ideas and suggestion on my thoughts of what SSB4 should have.

Also I'd like to add the devs do have the effort and energy to work on adding options to change between Brawl gameplay and Melee 2.0 gameplay.

How? Well, they could spend less time and energy on trophies, stickers, and masterpieces and more time just generally improving the "core" game instead of adding all the little extras that aren't really needed(I do like trophies and the neat extras but I wouldn't mind if they spend that energy to work on the core game and adding Melee2.0 or Brawl gameplay option to satisfy everyone).

majora_787

Smash Hero

Mario:
Bowser Jr.
Shadow Queen
Geno

Donkey Kong:
King K.Rool
Dixie Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Zant
Midna + Wolf Link
Oni Link

Metroid:
Ridley (All three versions X3)
All 6 of the hunters T_T cmon man.
Rundas
Ghor

Yoshi:
Birdo
Baby Bowser

Star Fox:
Krystal
Leon
Panther
Slippy

Pokemon:
Infernape
Deoxys
Blaziken

Fire Emblem:
Lyn
Miciah
Ashnard
Sothe

Metal Gear:
Liquid Snake
Gray Fox

Sonic:
Knuckles
Shadow

Animal Crossing:
Tom Nook

Other:

As for a sequel to Subspace Emissary, I can cleary imagine a Smash Bros. RPG.:chuckle:
I'm fixing your list up a little. =P

Noah Evangale

Smash Rookie
Well, I have no doubt that Nintendo will take everything they did with Brawl and just further polish it, like most game sequels. You can expect a better Stage Builder, larger roster, more music, more stages, more this more that. So I'm not too concerned about Nintendo potentially taking out some modes.

Here are my personal conditions:

5. 50 + character roster
4. Voice Chat
3. Leader Boards
2. Downloadable content
1. MEGA MAN AS PLAYABLE CHARACTER!!

I'm sure many ideas are being served up from everyone. I know I got some of my own.

World Mode

Like a Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, SSE, All-Star Mode wrapped in one, this mode will let you venture through various worlds that reflect the various characters in the roster, complete with their own series of stages(set up similar to Super Mario World) that reflect the game worlds those characters come from, platforming and fighting you're way through, ultimately, facing these character(s) along the way, as well as coming across many other conditions, secrets, new paths, and big enemy bosses, while collecting a cache of trophies, power-ups, music and other unlockables. You and another friend can each chose a character or, you can chose to go at it alone, as you cross each of the worlds. Alone or not, you will be able to chose the order in which you tackle each world. New worlds will open up as you progress, with even more unlockables awaiting.

D

Deleted member

Mario:
Bowser Jr.
Shadow Queen
Geno

Donkey Kong:
King K.Rool
Dixie Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Zant
Midna + Wolf Link
Oni Link

Metroid:
Ridley (All three versions X3)
All 6 of the hunters T_T cmon man.
Rundas
Ghor

Yoshi:
Birdo
Baby Bowser

Star Fox:
Krystal
Leon
Panther
Slippy

Pokemon:
Infernape
Deoxys

Blaziken

Fire Emblem:
Lyn
Miciah
Ashnard
Sothe

Metal Gear:
Liquid Snake
Gray Fox

Sonic:
Knuckles
Shadow

Animal Crossing:
Tom Nook

Other:

As for a sequel to Subspace Emissary, I can cleary imagine a Smash Bros. RPG.
I'm fixing your list up a little. =P
Shadow Queen: She was only in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. I doubt her fanbase is that big.

Geno: I know his fanbase is that big, but he's owned by Square-Enix.

Zant: Mm-hmm.

Oni Link: Who the heck?!

Kanden, Spire, Weavel, Sylux, Noxus, Trace: The Mario universe (not counting the DK, Yoshi, and WarioWare sub-universes) has only had five characters in the whole Smash series.

Rundus: We can dream.:)

Ghor: Not interested.

Birdo: She never appeared in a Yoshi game, so technically she's a Mario character

Baby Bowser: Oh, sure, Baby Bowser over Baby Mario, that makes a whole lot of sense.[/sarcasm]

Leon, Panther, Slippy. No.

Deoxys: Okay...

Infernape: Him or Blaziken. Make a choice.

Ashnard, Sothe: I don't play Fire Emblem, so meh.

Oh, and there's gum on your shoe.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Here are my ideas:

megaman

final fantasy:
Cloud Strife
Squall Leonhart
Tidus

Kingdom hearts:
Sora
Donald Duck
Goofy
Stitch

Tekken:
Jin (and his devil form)
Kazuya
Heihachi
Roger Jr.
Eddy

Sonic (get ready for a long list):
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Vector
Charmy
Espio
Cream
Amy
Silver
Blaze

Ratchet (from Ratchet and Clank)

Jak (from Jak and Daxter)

Pokemon series:
no idea, i would consider including a minor character trainer from the anime

Spyro the Dragon

a few guys from mortal kombat

and of course, everyone's favorite:

THE HALO MASTER CHIEF!!!

anyways, enough with the silly talk, let's wait for 2015 to see how brawl goes and see how the sequel goes.

P.S. oh crap I forgot about dante from Devil May Cry series.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
My feelings on this are split.
On one hand, I'm excited about the possibility of another Smash game coming out soon.
On the other hand, is this signifying a change in the series? Spewing out as many half ***** Smash games so Nintendo can make more money?

=/

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I would be for a sequel. They could:

-add more characters (obviously)
-add more stages (each character should have their own stage).
-cut the fluff (SSE, Masterpieces, etc...)
-Upgrade Stage Builder

Assuming they made the sequel, I'd like to see it geared more towards the multiplayer aspect. SSE was terribly broken, terribly designed, and the story made no sense.
Yup they need to upgrade the stage builder...it kinda boring

shatoga

Smash Cadet
I hope it is a brawl sequal. I enjoyed playing SSE alot and i'd like to godeeper into the storyline.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Since I apparently missed the chance to vote, I'm going to call Nintendo every now and then and bother them about a Brawl sequel (as well as a Mother 3 import.) I recomend you guys do the same if you want one, and give them your opinion of what would help improve the game.

1. More nintendo characters
2. More 3rd Party Characters (Square Enix and Capcom seem to be in popular demand)
3. An even more diverse character selection- Give ganon new specials (or see #6) I'm tired of clones IMO.
4. Improved Stage Builder
5. More ascessible online features
6. Better sticker system (also include more stats, like speed) and include a 'Sticker' special mode where you can fight with modded characters.
7. Create more special moves that can be swapped out with default ones.

Things like that, along with whatever else has been mentioned in this thread.

Top Bottom