• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo polls the public about demand for a Brawl sequel

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Actually, at GDC, Sakurai mentioned that some characters couldn't make it in due to copyright issues. Since no third party characters aside from Sonic and Snake got in and no one contacted each other, this can apply to one character that already has Nintendo connections - Geno.

So, it's safe to assume that Geno was indeed intended for the game and assuming that the Mushroom Forest song was referring to the SMRPG one, it might be Square Enix's fault, not Nintendo's or Sakurai's.
Perhaps they'll work things out for the next one...
:\

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Well if Brawl sells well enough, whoever is preventing Geno from getting into the game will change their tune soon enough.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I would buy it, no contest. DS Smash also sounds good, I had this idea some time ago. It wouldn't be that good but it could be fun for when you aren't around a Wii, like on the bus or something.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
A Melee 2 would be awesome, with 40 characters althought it hadn't an adventure mode!!!!!!!!! what next? SSBB 2, more often tripping and air tripping to add a little more fun to the game? or why not! maybe SSBB 2 with smash attack dealing half damage and knockback randomly like the broken golden hummer? just to add a little more luck to the game???... ohhh yeaaah!!

Reyairia

Smash Champion
YES PLZ.
Although anyone who says that "it would come too soon" I would agree if this franchise didn't take so long to make. If it were to be made it probably wouldn't come out for a while anyway.
And I think the whole "one smash game per console" was stupid to begin with. I'd be glad if Nintendo finally threw that idea out the window.
I say bring it!

... the only problem with the SSE I had was that I have a hard time reading body language and expressions, so the lack of dialogue was a problem with me. I felt as if I was missing out on something...

antimatter

Smash Lord
well, at least he finally explained what happened on the dojo today. shame he had to cut some scenes.

D

Deleted member

Agreed. And I feel sorry for the ex-Master Robot, who is now the only robot.:cry:

The Id

Smash Rookie
I don't really like the term "sequel", personally I'd prefer if they released an expansion pack of sorts. Y'know, like they do with Halo Map Packs and Elder Scrolls? It would use your existing game data (or add to it), letting you unlock more characters, stages, music, etc. Personally, that's all the game would need. You can NEVER have enough content.

I'm still ultra bitter that Isaac only attained AT status and Nintendo and Capcom never made the effort to include Megaman. I mean seriously, Megaman has had TONS of games for nintendo. Megaman 1-6 on NES, 7 on SNES, Megaman X1 and X2 and X3 on SNES, countless GBC titles, Megaman Battlenetworks 1-6 on GBA, Megaman Zero 1-4 on GBA, and finally ZX 1-2 on the DS. There's more as well that I can't think of at the moment...(please excuse the offtopicness)

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Give me K.Rool and a better online play mode and I'll purchase it. But I haven't even got Brawl yet so I would want that first :).

6footninja

Smash Ace
They should put in 2-3 more 3rd party characters. They should've put in:

Soma Cruz
Paula
Krystal
Mewtwo
Gotenks
Tails
Amy and/or silver
Mew
Gardevoir

assist trophies:

Yoko
Poo
Cream and cheese

What are people's thoughts on these character suggestions?
Too many third party characters just doesn't make it smash anymore. All the sudden it's a huge mix up of all kinds of gaming characters. A lot of nintendo fan boys wanna keep it Nintendo for the most part. And even if they did promise to include those characters (Gotenks?!) they would either give us a promising release date and delay it, because making so many characters available for play takes time. Or we'd wind up with a bunch of clones.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This could go either way. Either he sees the backlash his new engine has gotten from competitive and casual gamers alike (certain new physics aspects, tripping etc.) and wise up and remove them/rework them.

Or, he'll "Brawlify" Brawl even more. Maybe he saw our videos about Air Tripping and thought "Hey, that glitch looks cool and funny" and plans on making it an actual feature next time.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
He's a perfect character, why wouldn't he be? He just has so many attacks, I mean, if you've played the game (castlevania: aria/dawn of sorrow), you'll know how good he would be.
He isn't a "perfect character". I mean, the only thing that's actually his own are his weapon-based attacks. Then there's the countless soul-based attacks and people will whine over what souls should be included. He's got some mightily overpowered souls but short of making him S-tier, they'll have to limit his souls to mediocre ones or great ones + useless ones.

And I just like Gotenks a lot.
Gotenks isn't even a character. It's like including Final Form Sora and at least he looks like himself.

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
Gotenks isn't even a character. It's like including Final Form Sora and at least he looks like himself.
Gotenks is a character, he's the fusion between Goten and Trunks and his personality, apearance and his arsenal of attacks are completely different. Sora in his Final form is him powered up because of his special clothes, so he is still the same Sora (btw, Sora would be cool), when Goten and Trunks fuse, a completely new character has been made and Goten and Trunks have disappeared.

He isn't a "perfect character". I mean, the only thing that's actually his own are his weapon-based attacks. Then there's the countless soul-based attacks and people will whine over what souls should be included. He's got some mightily overpowered souls but short of making him S-tier, they'll have to limit his souls to mediocre ones or great ones + useless ones.
I agree that he isn't the "perfect character", but he would be a very good character addition to the game, and for his soul attacks, some might (MIGHT) have to be balanced, and they should include his most cool/interesting attacks, eg. recovery - turn into a bat or the high jump ability. A Soma as powerful as Pikachu is much more believable than Mewtwo as (or less) powerful than jigglypuff, and yet the latter was so in melee. :ohwell:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gotenks is a character, he's the fusion between Goten and Trunks and his personality, apearance and his arsenal of attacks are completely different. Sora in his Final form is him powered up because of his special clothes, so he is still the same Sora (btw, Sora would be cool), when Goten and Trunks fuse, a completely new character has been made and Goten and Trunks have disappeared.
Gotenks is the fusion of two characters. His personality is the two different personalities working together (IIRC). A new person wasn't magically born.

Sora is the fusion of three characters. Since KH2 isn't a manga, we don't know if Donald and Goofy had any say in what Final Form Sora did.

Goten and Trunks are also not only 3rd party characters, the only games they've been in are licensed games since they're manga-characters originally.

I agree that he isn't the "perfect character", but he would be a very good character addition to the game, and for his soul attacks, some might (MIGHT) have to be balanced, and they should include his most cool/interesting attacks, eg. recovery - turn into a bat or the high jump ability. A Soma as powerful as Pikachu is much more believable than Mewtwo as (or less) powerful than jigglypuff, and yet the latter was so in melee. :ohwell:
I don't understand what you're talking about there at the end.

Lyphen

Smash Rookie
I honestly think it's a terrible idea and would only lead to Nintendo milking and ruining the franchise even more. Plus - the only thing I want out of a Brawl sequel is better online, which is impossible with Wii/Friend Codes.

Nintendo itself isn't READY for a new Smash.

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
Gotenks is the fusion of two characters. His personality is the two different personalities working together (IIRC). A new person wasn't magically born.

Sora is the fusion of three characters. Since KH2 isn't a manga, we don't know if Donald and Goofy had any say in what Final Form Sora did.

Goten and Trunks are also not only 3rd party characters, the only games they've been in are licensed games since they're manga-characters originally.

I don't understand what you're talking about there at the end.
Sora does NOT fuse with Donald and Goofy, they just disappear when Sora goes into certain forms, Gotenks on the other hand, is a different person from Trunks and Goten.

And what I mean for Soma, he fits in better in the game more than certain characters in terms of how powerful he REALLY is.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sora does NOT fuse with Donald and Goofy, they just disappear when Sora goes into certain forms, Gotenks on the other hand, is a different person from Trunks and Goten.
"While in Drive Form, Sora bonds with party members to become more powerful and acquire different attributes."

It's been a while but I'm 100% positive they specifically say that he "bonds" or "fuses" with members of his party (if he fuses with Goofy, he'll go into a certian form and if he fuses with Donald, he'll go into another. One is called Wisdom Form for example).

What Kingdom Hearts II have you been playing, anyway?

Gotenks is not a different person. Gotenks is just Goten and Trunks sharing the same body. It's been a while there as well but I'm pretty sure it's just the two in one fused body. Sometimes they, for example, can't decide on what to do.

And what I mean for Soma, he fits in better in the game more than certain characters in terms of how powerful he REALLY is.
I'm sorry, what? "He's a powerful character" = "He makes a good Smash addition"? Since when? For one thing, he'd have to be toned down lots it's so ridiculous he'd be at 1/100th his true strength.

The Id

Smash Rookie
Sakurai said from the very beginning, NO ANIME/MANGA CHARACTERS. Hell, I'll admit it, I'm an anime and a manga fan (moreso manga) and it would be interesting to see Killy own faces with a graviton beam emitter. But they have no place in a nintendo character filled game, whether they've had a game or not. It just wouldn't work out well at all.

As for the couple of times I've seen Final Fantasy characters mentioned (namely Cloud and Sephiroth)...Just...no. Being the huge ff7 fan that I am, I'm still gonna disagree with that on the same grounds as the gotenks argument (No, Chain of Memories does NOT count XP). However, if you wanna bring up Black Mage from Final Fantasy 1 on the NES, then maybe I'll agree.

Lastly, I say yes to Soma, or rather a Belmont. Just because that would totally kickass.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said from the very beginning, NO ANIME/MANGA CHARACTERS.
It's very possible that if Nintendo makes another Smash Bros game, Sakurai won't be involved. From the interviews it seemed like he really wanted to move on to a different type of project.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
if they make a new brawl it will either be the death of competitive smash as we know it, or an answer to our prayers(if they take out the stupid stuff sakurai added like tripping)

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I hope they make Brawl better if they do this. As in...hitstun on moves? Maybe...take away from the shielding game... I mean, I don't need a lag cancel or a wavedash, but some things are just stupid.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
It's very possible that if Nintendo makes another Smash Bros game, Sakurai won't be involved. From the interviews it seemed like he really wanted to move on to a different type of project.
Awesome. . . ?
Could go either way. It's important to remember that you won't agree with all the decisions someone else is making, no matter who it is... (unless you're the one making the calls)
There are things that we would have done differently, but the man still deserves his props.

I would kind of like to see how someone else would make the game (no disrespect at all to Sakurai - I LOVE Brawl), just because as a creative individual myself, I know that a fresh take on something can do unexpected wonders.
(On that topic, I hear they're letting a completely different team re - create Zelda and freshen it up for the next game? Does anyone know anything about this? Supposedly without Miyamoto?)

aleps

Smash Apprentice
A little more than a month after the release date and they are thinking about a sequel?? I would buy it if its for the Wii, but just let us enjoy Brawl for some years.

Top Bottom