• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Doesnt Hate Europe, They Just Dont Care.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe this is just me being a selfish git, but I'm not willing to learn another language (except maybe Japanese) so if I was born in France, why should I be expected to learn English? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Because it's pretty much essential to learn English unless you plan to spend the rest of your life in your own country, never venturing outside, never going onto the Internet except to read pages and talk to people of your native language and/or country and never taking part of any cultural elements such as movies, videogames or TV-shows unless they're dubbed in your native language (and thus losing some in the translation and limiting yourself to the stuff that's only released in your native country).

As opposed to learning, say, French, where in doing so, you'd be able to speak to a few million people worldwide, learning English will allow you to do so with billions of people worldwide.

English is pretty much essential to know these days. I was born in Vietnam and raised in Sweden, yet I speak English. I learned it mostly on my own accord, way ahead of when the Swedish school system expected me to, because I realize very early in life that learning English would make my life much easier and richer.

At age, like, 10, I could watch English TV-shows and movies (we don't dub them in Sweden unless they're kids shows) without bothering to read the subtitles (sometimes I do just to laugh at the at times bad translations), I could read books in English, I could chat with people online (I joined my first forum at age 11... 12 years ago, I was an early adopter), I read manga and watched anime and American TV shows years before they were ever released/aired in Sweden, and when abroad, I was never afraid of not being able to make myself understood as long as I went to a country that had inhabitants that were at least reasonably well-versed in English.

English is your 1st language, so you wouldn't understand how important it is to actually learn English should it not be your 1st language.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
There has to be more in that. It's crazy to say that Nintendo doesn't care about us Europeans, because games are selling here as well as in Japan or USA. Europe isn't Africa you know.

The problem is that Nintendo has to deal with lots of distributers, shop chains etc. Not only the game has to be translated into Spanish, French, German and so on, but also the game manual and the cover has to be customized into 15+ smaller languages. Printing games to a worldwide release is also a big feat, and different release dates makes things easier.

Summa summarum: Nintendo's workload with this game is big enough with Japanese and American versions. Sadly, Europe is always the one suffering. Maybe things change in the future. Gaming is growing more and more popular in Eastern and Southern Europe.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
Maybe this is just me being a selfish git, but I'm not willing to learn another language (except maybe Japanese) so if I was born in France, why should I be expected to learn English? It just doesn't make sense to me.
then u miss out on playing lots games... when faced with that scenario... i'm pretty sure you will put the effort in to learn a language.:laugh:

For english speaking europeans the solution isn't that hard, if you are buying a region locked console, DON'T BUY PAL.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
If it hasn't been mentioned yet galaxy was released all over because of xmas.

Yeah Nintendo doesn't hate europe. It's merely casual indifference. Personally I'm gonna import an NTSC brawl and use a mod chip, but for most games i have no choice but to wait.

Nintendo are bad, but no one, i repeat. NO ONE, is as bad as square-enix, there was a over a year between ffx's Japanese and pal release.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Sorry to interrupt you, but if I order my japanese Wii and the game NOW, can I still get my package even if I have to pay the import taxes?

leeray666

Smash Cadet
24 hours to translate every single trophy, sticker, etc. into 6 different languages?
I doubt that.

The real reason it's delayed (other than minor localisation) is that they need to concentrate on one country at a time to deal with supply issues. Or they could do it like Halo 3 where they were manufacturing a month before release and had the game in stores 2 weeks before release in some cases.
This man is most likely correct.

I've been listening to the Kojima Production report podcast recently and in the last show they talked about this very subject. Localisation and dealing with all the supply chains, distributors and everything else to make sure a firm release date is given for the whole of Europe is a time consuming matter.

I really have trouble believing that Nintendo hates their European customer base, I mean come on, why bite the hand that feeds you?

MGS4 is going to have a near simultaneous release throughout the world and this is something I hope will be a growing trend (being English). But as far as Nintendo is concerned at the moment they would probably like to get the game out for the various regions as soon as they can hence why Japan got it first.

Just have patience people, I know it sucks.
If you are really that desperate go and either get a foreign Wii with a foreign Brawl, or get your Wii chipped and import Brawl.

S2

Smash Lord
I totally agree with you S2. But the question remains: Why can Sony and Microsoft make worldwide releases for their games within weeks and Nintendo can't?
It could be that they simply have more money.

Remember that Nintendo is just a game company. MS and Sony both are huge corporations that due lots of things, games only being a division.

Here are a few potential reasons.

Nintendo rarely does worldwide releases, probably due to production costs. Remember that they produce a lot of games - and due to their size as a company production is always limited.

Like Wiis for example. Nintendo can't produce them quick enough and building more factories takes a lot of time and money. Given all the games Nintendo produces, you have to keep in mind that they can't stop production on all their other games to make more copies of Smash.

That's assuming NoE is done localizing it. Nintendo's individual branches handle localization, not NoJ.

If NoE uses any part of the NoA translation (which they probably do a lot), that means the game will almost certainly come out after the American release.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
it depends on your country, but if u have to pay import taxes as long as u pay the tax then i'm pretty sure as long as the goods aren't illegal for some reason then you will get them. But import taxes can be really steep and arbitrary sometimes and can often cost as much as the product itself.

Why not just wait for the american release anyway? unless you speak japanese i see no real reason to order a japanese wii. US releases are not that far of the japanese ones usually. The only reason i got a japanese wii is because I can speak japanese, otherwise i would just get a US one. (I'm from the uk btw).

kirborg

Smash Cadet
i don't know. in the past nintendo released games in europe with only a few weeks difference when compared to US/ Japan. like other people said, I just think that this is one of the biggest wii game and that it's too much trouble to release it worldwide smoothly.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
They really should think about giving us a release date pretty soon, it's been on my mind everyday since they gave a release date for America (December 3rd). The first thing I do is check the Dojo to see if they've given us a release date, each day getting more frustated than the last.

Brawl is the most anticipated game by Nintendo this year, and they should really start thinking about Europe a bit more.

Just like what SuperLink9 said, Animal Crossing is the biggest example.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
it depends on your country, but if u have to pay import taxes as long as u pay the tax then i'm pretty sure as long as the goods aren't illegal for some reason then you will get them. But import taxes can be really steep and arbitrary sometimes and can often cost as much as the product itself.

Why not just wait for the american release anyway? unless you speak japanese i see no real reason to order a japanese wii. US releases are not that far of the japanese ones usually. The only reason i got a japanese wii is because I can speak japanese, otherwise i would just get a US one. (I'm from the uk btw).
So you mean that I only have to pay more if I import it from Japan? Even more confused now. :dizzy:

sweetbrother

Smash Rookie
The real reason it's delayed (other than minor localization) is that they need to concentrate on one country at a time to deal with supply issues. Or they could do it like Halo 3 where they were manufacturing a month before release and had the game in stores 2 weeks before release in some cases.
You have to keep in mind that nintendo are allways self conscience about releasing thier own games. Can you explain the wait for the first smash bros game on n64 in europe?

It is NOT supply issues, money etc. Because nintendo's mascott's games like mario series, zelda and metriod are released world wide at the same time with oly a few weeks difference.
Simply because these mario, zelda and metriod have a long successful relationship.

I even read somewhere that the ssb64 had a demo long before the game was released in japan, because they wasnt sure if it was going to be recieved well.

I mean come on, melee doesnt even have an official site for the u.s. only japanese.

I wouldve thought with the success of ssb64 and melee they wouldve at least starting taking it more seriously by now.

TokXilChaos

Smash Rookie
Nintendo believe Europeans are simple.

Well, time to get out the good 'ol AK-47.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Seeing all the Europeons having to go through this make me want to send a free copy to all of them. You guys might no have a large fanbase, but should that mean you guys should get the short end of the stick? Unfortunately Nintendo is, and always will be a money hog.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't see why Europe not having much of a fanbase (which is absolutely untrue, because Melee is illogically expensive for a 7 years old game and I've never ever seen it sold in a Used Bin) would affect anything, anyway. The fanbase won't grow if you force us to wait another 4 months.

I mean, are their pressing abilities super limited? Are they unable to dish out as many copies as they need for the American release and a simoultaneously European release should they want one?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
We all expected it and knew it would happen but it still hurts like a kick in the balls. Nintendo needs to get their act together. It's just inexcusable. Simple as that.

By the time Brawl comes out in Europe, global warming will have killed us all.

leeray666

Smash Cadet
Here's a solution that would ultimately solve this problem.
Let's all move to Japan.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
You all need to HUSH! At least you GUYS GET IT EARLY! Yes, I am talking to YOU Europe!

Do you have ANY idea how long it takes for them to ship consoles out to ETHIOPIA?

I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY GAMEBOY COLOR. D=<

SO JUST BE QUIET! You are making me so mad that I am fixing to eat my brother.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
You all need to HUSH! At least you GUYS GET IT EARLY! Yes, I am talking to YOU Europe!

Do you have ANY idea how long it takes for them to ship consoles out to ETHIOPIA?

Amusing, but with wealth distribution of such poor countries like mentioned above, if you can't afford to import it, you're better off concentrating on keeping bread on the table. Makes you put it in perspective a different way I guess, not in terms of getting early, but simply enjoying the luxury of being able to expect to be able to play it. :p

Ahem, despite that I haven't seen a good reason why Brawl is not getting a nearer PAL release than it currently is. Believing that it's more important to get out Metroid and Mario based on their genre is rediculous, Nintendo can look at their sales figures for Melee and see differently. I'm not sold on the argument that Nintendo can't afford it either. Nintendo is swimming in money at the moment and pure capital wouldn't be a problem.

The problem lies with wherever the PAL version is being made. Perhaps they only very recently began to work on it, maybe Nintendo Japan included only America for secrecy reasons. Maybe theres a special issue with the DL (like the problems in Japan with the bugs and the sensitive discs) that they are trying to correct. I'm not sold that it's a distribution problem either. If they were actually in printing the discs we'd have a release date by now.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
Well, europe always goes last for some reasons, hell som games arn't even released here. Gaming companies don't realize that we buy much games and if the game is big and is marketed well, it will sell just as in the US. I really hate to be a gamer in europe, we're always last on the list, it's expensive to buy games here compared to US/japan and lot of the games dosn't even arrive me, makes me consider to move to the US once im 20 or something <.<

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
eveyone i know with a gamecube onwned melee,everyone i know that has a wii will get brawl,there has'nt been a wii in shops since it came out=alot of smash bros......sometimes aus gets it first sometimes europe gets it first....aus only needs one lag but it has 26! depends on who is lazyer at the time...nintendo of europe or ninentdo of australia..but i can hold out buy spoiling it for my friends lol.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Don't forget the amount of money that Nintendo released Mario Party 8 in Europe without taking the time to make sure all words and phrases translated over. ("Spastic" turned out to be the equivalent of "********" in Europe.)

And I think that if I lived in Europe, I would buy a NTSC-US Wii, and import all of my games.

I live in the US and I am strongly considering importing a NTSC-J Wii, just for good Japan-only Wii releases.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
24 hours for 5 different languages? Impossible.
Takes like a month, or at least they have with other games in the past, usually more though.
But yeah they should have been working on this long ago, when Sakurai first started working on it.

EpitomeX

Smash Cadet
BRAWL FOR EUROPE HAS TWO RUMORED RELEASE DATES - APRIL 30TH & MAY 30TH

.[/COLOR]

Citation please? I'm from Australia (also PAL) so our release dates should be similar.

As such I am very interested in any rumours regarding the release date of brawl in PAL countries, as Australia has nothing to go on but 'TBC 2008' (nintendo.com.au has not updated their brawl release date for two years).

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
24 hours for 5 different languages? Impossible.
Takes like a month, or at least they have with other games in the past, usually more though.
But yeah they should have been working on this long ago, when Sakurai first started working on it.
They could finish translating it in about 3-4 weeks. As it doesn't take that long to translate the game, especially if it's your job.

Finn Macool

Smash Apprentice
i live down in aus, tou think you got it bad in europe you should try the waits down here

Urser

Smash Apprentice
I live in Australia too. But I'm going to import from Europe. So yeah it's kind of frustrating waiting for ages just to get this game. Everyone wants it... why would Nintendo be so stupid! ARHH!

And then there's Ehtiopia and China etc. I think you guys go with either PAL or NTSC. So you can import the game too... right? I mean, I'm not waiting until it officially comes out in Australia. I'm just waiting for the PAL version.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I thought, y'know, English is English in any country that speaks it so it shouldn't be an issue, but then again, Mario Party 8 accidentally left the word "spastic" in the game and I'm pretty sure it went under some pretty heavy backlash for it. There is a lot of dialogue in Super Smash Bros. Brawl to be organized and made politically correct and match it's ESRB rating for other countries where words mean different things.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo only do this because they have to, I think. Sure, they want the whole world to be overcome with Smash, but it's just how it is. A drawback of being European... again.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Is there a proven method of playing a American wii game on a pal wii?

I know it involves a modchip and soldering it into your wii (easier said than done.) But is there a proven NSTC to PAL chip on the market?

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
You have to keep in mind that nintendo are allways self conscience about releasing thier own games. Can you explain the wait for the first smash bros game on n64 in europe?

It is NOT supply issues, money etc. Because nintendo's mascott's games like mario series, zelda and metriod are released world wide at the same time with oly a few weeks difference.
Simply because these mario, zelda and metriod have a long successful relationship.

I even read somewhere that the ssb64 had a demo long before the game was released in japan, because they wasnt sure if it was going to be recieved well.

I mean come on, melee doesnt even have an official site for the u.s. only japanese.

I wouldve thought with the success of ssb64 and melee they wouldve at least starting taking it more seriously by now.
It did, until Smash DOJO became the format.

Illyria

Smash Rookie
This is from the "An index of leaks" thread:
"13. NyaseNya
A while back, we all thought NyaseNya was a fake, since she said there would not be another delay. Well, we might have been wrong. Thanx to Zoo-bellocks for finding some of her posts.

Here's a summary of what she said:
-Roster: 35 Characters
-Character: Sonic (10/7/2007) (Said DOJO would update on that Wednesday and did)
-Character: Ness (Agrees with a number of prophets, confirmed via How to Play video?)
-Character: "Toon" Link (Wind Waker Link thrown around as an idea)
-Character: Mr. Game & Watch (Assuming Icon Theory is true)
-Moveset: Pikmin & Olimar: Undetermined Special: Whip-like Move with Pikmin (12/5/2007) (DOJO updated Pikmin & Olimar's Special Moves on 1/11/2008, Whip refers to Pikmin Chain, Olimar's Up+B)
-Deconfirmation: Megaman (Agrees with ChaoticImplosion)
-Other: Brawl will be delayed in the US (12/5/2007) (DOJO tells us this 1/15/2008)
-Other: Europe will not get Brawl until April/May (FlipTroopa says Brawl will release in Europe in May, game retailers have reflected this)
-Other: Brawl will be a dual-layed disc, due to its size"

NyaseNya has been rigth on everything, so it seems like we get Brawl in April/May:)

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935

If I was a mod, I'd probably ban you for that.

Top Bottom