• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo closing a pokemon WEB...

El Raspa

Smash Apprentice
Hello,

This thread is primarily for prevent to the admins of this boards

Nintendo had forced to close a pokemon web http://pokemon-safari.com/ (a spanish web) the reasons were that on that page they were using the mark "pokemon" for harming their interests

The web was a board in which the community talked about pokemon games, planning events for exchange pokemons, and make some tourneys, the same that smashboars does

First of all I think that these kind of webs help them to sold their games It is a free publicity

Second, I ask for the admins of this board to prevent this kind of dirty attitude of nintendo on this boards

Sorry if the thread shouldn't be here, but is a topic that everyone should care about, and second sorry for my bad English :chuckle:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hello,

This thread is primarily for prevent to the admins of this boards

Nintendo had forced to close a pokemon web http://pokemon-safari.com/ (a spanish web) the reasons were that on that page they were using the mark "pokemon" for harming their interests

The web was a board in which the community talked about pokemon games, planning events for exchange pokemons, and make some tourneys, the same that smashboars does

First of all I think that these kind of webs help them to sold their games It is a free publicity

Second, I ask for the admins of this board to prevent this kind of dirty attitude of nintendo on this boards

Sorry if the thread shouldn't be here, but is a topic that everyone should care about, and second sorry for my bad English :chuckle:
Probably not the right section, but...wow. This is ridiculous. I wish I could read Spanish/find a website that could translate it better so I could understand exactly what Nintendo's saying. That's ridiculous, are they actually closing down the forum saying that they were harming their interests?

Are they honestly going to close something down because there are people on the board saying that they don't like what Nintendo's doing? That's ridiculous. Way to go Nintendo, I didn't think you could lose any more of my respect.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
It's basically saying that it's some intellectual property BS over the name Pokemon, atleast claims Nintendo.
and I agree, unless Pokemon-Safari was doing something illegal (which I assume it wasn't) there's no reason to take it down. I guess they're going to target all these other Nintendo sites now. Or maybe it's just the way Spanish laws are written or something, I don't know.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's basically saying that it's some intellectual property BS over the name Pokemon, atleast claims Nintendo.
and I agree, unless Pokemon-Safari was doing something illegal (which I assume it wasn't) there's no reason to take it down. I guess they're going to target all these other Nintendo sites now. Or maybe it's just the way Spanish laws are written or something, I don't know.
Ugh, intellectual property my ***.

So what, now we're not allowed to discuss things on the internet or it's a copyright violation? Bull.

Seriously Nintendo, just when I didn't think you could lose more of my respect. If they target SmashBoards, I kill them. This is ridiculous.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
what is this?
nintendo should probably target things like R4DS and rom sites before trying to close down fan sites
for petes sake, fan sites probably boost their sales...i don't see how they can have a negative impact on their sales...
this is bs

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Firefox translated:

What does this mean? Seguramente os habéis preguntado que es lo que ha pasado con la web. Surely you have wondered what has happened to the website. Os responderé. We will respond. Antes de todo, esta es, muy probablemente, la última vez que me dirija a vosotros desde esta página web. Before all, this is probably the last time I address you from this website.

EDITADO: ADEMÁS, ESTA MEDIANOCHE, EL DOMINIO HA SIDO SECUESTRADO. Edit: In addition, this midnight, the domain has been hijacked. ESO SIGNIFICA QUE QUIEN "SEA" HA PASADO A TENER EL CONTROL DEL DOMINIO. That means that whoever "SEA" has come to take control of the domain.
El Motivo del cierre The Reason for closure
El pasado Viernes 8 de Agosto del 2008, recibí un Burofax, de parte del bufete de abogados, DLA Piper, en representación de Nintendo Co. On Friday August 8, 2008, I received a Burofax, from the law firm, DLA Piper, representing Nintendo Co.. Ltd. Podría explicaros el contenido de la carta, pero he preferido copiarosla para que veáis vosotros mismos. Estimado Señor, It could explain the contents of the letter, but he preferred copiarosla to veáis yourselves. Sir,

Nos ponemos en contacto con usted en nombre y repesentación,y por encargo específico de nuestros clientes NINTENDO ESPAÑA,SA .y su matriz NINTENDO CO,LTD titular de la marca POKEMON (marca nacional denominativa con gráfico nº M 2141090 - 2141104, para las clases 3, 9, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 35, 41 y 42) y demás derechos de propiedad industrial e intelectual de los sistemas de hardware y software para sus videoconsolas Nintendo Wii,Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite ("NINTENDO"). We are writing to alert you in the name and repesentación, and on behalf of specific clients Nintendo Australia Limited. And its parent company Nintendo Co, Ltd proprietor of the mark POKEMON (national brand with graphic verbal No M 2141090 to 2141104, for classes 3, 9, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 35, 41 and 42) and other industrial property rights and intellectual development of hardware systems and software for its Nintendo Wii game consoles , Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite ( "Nintendo").

NINTENDO ha tenido noticia de que a través de su página Web www.pokemon-safari.com se estaría realizando un uso inconsentido y por tanto ilícito de la marca "POKEMON",asi como de otros derechos de propiedad industrial e intelectual de NINTENDO. Nintendo has been reported that through its website www.pokemon-safari.com would be conducting a inconsentido use illegal and therefore the mark "POKEMON", as well as other rights of intellectual property of Nintendo.

Por todo lo anterior y por medio de la presente, le requerimos formalmente para que cese con carácter inmediato en el uso inconsentido de las anteriores marcas propiedad de Nintendo,así como se abstenga de realizar o desarrollar cualquier actividad que pueda perjudicar los legítimos intereses de los usuarios de los productos originales de NINTENDO. For all these reasons and through this, we need to formally cease with immediate effect in the use of inconsentido above trademarks owned by Nintendo, as well as refrain from developing or any activity likely to prejudice the legitimate interests of Users of the original Nintendo.

Todo ello sin perjuicio de reservarse NINTENDO en todo caso el ejercicio de las acciones legales que les asistan para la salvaguarda de sus legítimos derechos. This is without prejudice to reserve Nintendo in any case the exercise of legal action to assist them to safeguard their legitimate rights.

Resumiendo, y hablando claro, Nintendo me está diciendo que cierre la página web que tanto os queréis o tomarán "acciones legales". In short, and clear speaking, Nintendo is telling me to close the website that you want or take "legal actions". Es por ello, que POKéMON SAFARI QUEDA OFICIALMENTE CERRADA. That is why, Pokemon SAFARI was officially closed. Según parece ser, NINTENDO no quiere que sigamos construyendo esta gran comunidad POKéMON, la segunda más grande del mundo y la primera de habla hispana. As it seems, Nintendo does not want us to continue building this great community Pokemon, the second largest in the world and the first Spanish-speaking.

Punto 1 - Cese de inmediato el uso de la marca POKéMON Point 1 - immediately cease the use of the mark Pokemon
NINTENDO ha tenido noticia de que a través de su página Web www.pokemon-safari.com se estaría realizando un uso inconsentido y por tanto ilícito de la marca "POKEMON",asi como de otros derechos de propiedad industrial e intelectual de NINTENDO. Nintendo has been reported that through its website www.pokemon-safari.com would be conducting a inconsentido use illegal and therefore the mark "POKEMON", as well as other rights of intellectual property of Nintendo. Por todo lo anterior y por medio de la presente, le requerimos formalmente para que cese con carácter inmediato en el uso inconsentido de las anteriores marcas propiedad de Nintendo For all these reasons and through this, we need to formally cease with immediate effect in the use of previous inconsentido trademarks owned by Nintendo

Personalmente, dudo que este sea el motivo real de la clausura del sitio. Personally, I doubt that this is the real reason for the closure of the site. Sospecho que POKéMON SAFARI había crecido tanto hasta el punto que estabamos apareciendo mucho en los medios de información (Revista POKéMON, numerosas apariciones en Planeta POKéMON, Revista Dibus, PC Actual...), hasta el punto de llegar a eclipsar Al sitio web oficial en español. I suspect that Pokemon SAFARI had grown to the point that both were appearing much in the media (Pokemon Magazine, numerous appearances on Planet Pokemon, DIBUS Magazine, PC Actual ...), to the point of reaching Al overshadow official website in Spanish. Esto, no le podía gustar a la gran multinacional, por supuesto. This, you might not like the large multinational, of course.

Estéticamente, es cierto que POKéMON SAFARI parecía un sitio oficial, y no vamos a negar que utilizabamos imágenes de las webs oficiales, organizadas y montadas de una forma bonita. Aesthetics, it is true that Pokemon SAFARI seemed an official site, and we will not deny that utilizabamos images of the official sites, organized and mounted a nice way. ¿Pero acaso las otras webs no hace lo mismo? But perhaps the other sites is not doing likewise? Evidentemente, sí. Obviously, yes. La gran calidad del sitio web, parece la razón de la clausura. The high quality of the website, it seems the reason for the closure. ¿Para que ibas a comprar una Guía de POKéMON Diamante y Perla si POKéMON SAFARI tenía una hacia ya un año, creada a partir del juego japonés? For what Ibas to buy a guide Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Pokemon if SAFARI towards already had a one year, created from the Japanese game? ¿Y una guia de POKéMON Battle Revolution? Is there a guide Pokemon Battle Revolution? Claramente, parece ser que estábamos que estabamos dañando los intereses -económicos- de NINTENDO. Clearly, it appears that we were that we were harming the interests-economic-Nintendo. No resulta justo cuando también esta web ha servido de megáfono para publicitar su marca y todo lo que comporta (juegos, revistas, programas de television, peliculas, cartas, eventos...). It is not fair when this site also has served as a megaphone to advertise its brand and everything that entails (games, magazines, television programs, films, letters, events ...).

NINTENDO ve en esta web un delito porque "usamos la marca POKéMON sin permiso". Nintendo sees this web a crime because "we use the Pokemon brand without permission." Me gustaría saber, si obligan a cerrar esta web, que nunca ha ofrecido descargas ilegales y únicamente contenidos de calidad, que piensa hacer NINTENDO de muchas otras webs que distribuyen materiales ilegales y documentan como modificar los juegos de la marca POKEMON, como su único contenido y forma de ser. I wonder if forced to close this site, which has never offered illegal downloads and only quality content, do you think Nintendo of many other sites that distribute illegal materials and documenting how to modify games POKEMON brand, as its sole content and way of being. Señores, que hipócritas pueden llegar a ser. Gentlemen, which can become hypocrites.
Punto 2 - Realizar actividades (EVENTOS POKéMON). Point 2 - Conducting activities (Pokemon events).
[...]así como se abstenga de realizar o desarrollar cualquier actividad que pueda perjudicar los legítimos intereses de los usuarios de los productos originales de NINTENDO. [...] as well as refrain from developing or any activity likely to prejudice the legitimate interests of users of the products original Nintendo.

Parece bastante claro, que a NINTENDO, no le gustó mucho nuestra idea de ser originales. It seems quite clear that Nintendo, not much liked our idea of being original. ¿O probablemente no le ha gustado el gran poder de convocatoria de esta web? Or probably did not like the great power of convening this site? Yo apostaría por lo segundo. I bet on the latter. Sintiendolo mucho, chicos, POKéMON SAFARI no volverá a las playas a repartir eventos. Sint much, guys, Pokemon SAFARI not return to the beaches to distribute events. Aquellos eventos que quedaban por realizar en las playas españolas, no se harán. Those events still to be done in Spanish beaches, not be made.

Enhorabuena NINTENDO, no quiero tener que enfrentarme a su demanda, cierro el sitio, pero acaban de dañar de una forma increible e irreparable la comunidad POKéMON de habla hispana, y probalemente, lo que es peor, su imagen. Congratulations Nintendo, I do not want to have to deal with its application, close the site, but just an incredible damage and irreparable Pokemon the Spanish-speaking community, and Probal, worse, his image.

Últimas palabras como webmaster de POKEMON SAFARI Last word as the webmaster of POKEMON SAFARI

Por último, decir, que es una pena tener que cerrar la web. Lastly, say, it is a pity to have to close the site. Se que muchos de vosotros tenías un gran cariño a esta página web, y he escuchado numerosas veces a la gente hablar de ella por la calle, oa hermanos de mis amigos, y ver que se lo pasaban genial y tenían una buena imagen de la web y su ambiente y forma de hacer. I know many of you had a great affection for this site, and I have listened many times to people talk about it down the street, or brothers of my friends, and see that it went great and had a good image of the web and his environment and way of doing. Gracias a este hobby, además, he conocido a personas muy interesantes y de todos los continentes. Thanks to this hobby, besides, I have met very interesting people and from all continents. Como experiencia, tampoco me puedo quejar. As experience, I can not complain.

Desde que nació la web, un Miércoles 14 de Abril de 1999, sabía que un día u otro tocaba dar este paso. Since the Web was born, Wednesday April 14, 1999, knew that sooner or later played take this step. Nunca hubiera imaginado que sería la misma NINTENDO quién me obligaría a echar el cierre. I would never have imagined that it would be Nintendo who oblige me to throw the closure. Como seguidor de NINTENDO desde 1989, cuando jugué por primera vez a la NES, la verdad, resulta altamente decepcionante. As a follower of Nintendo since 1989, when I played for the first time the NES, truth, it is highly disappointing.

En el peor de los casos ya estaba programando un sistema para que la web pudiera seguir adelante, incluso para cuando me resultara imposible seguir con la web. In the worst case was already planning a system to the Web could move forward, even when I was impossible to continue with the website. Pero NINTENDO a truncado la vida de esta web. But Nintendo truncated life to this site. Ya nada de eso importa. Since none of that matters.

Es evidente que trás 8 años he aprendido mucho sobre el mundo POKéMON, probablemente demasiado. Clearly, after 8 years I have learned a lot about the Pokemon world, probably too much. He asistido a varios eventos POKéMON, como el Celebi Tour del año 2001 y los Moviplaya 2006 y 2007. He attended several events Pokemon, as Celebi Tour in 2001 and Moviplaya 2006 and 2007. Aún tengo algunos dias para pensarme si asistiré a Moviplaya 2008. I still have some days to think about whether to attend Moviplaya 2008.

Es evidente que POKéMON ha supuesto algo más que un hobby. Clearly, Pokemon has meant more than just a hobby. Ha sido una motivación para descubrir muchas cosas, como el mundo de la programación, en general, es un mundo increible al que me gustaría seguir dedicandome, pero ya profesionalmente. It has been a motivation to discover many things, like the world of programming in general is an incredible world that I would like to remain committed, but professionally. A parte de POKéMON SAFARI, ya he trabajado en proyectos interesantes y he sacado proyectos complicados adelante y de forma exitosa. Besides Pokemon SAFARI, I have already worked on interesting projects and have brought forward and complicated projects successfully. Es por ello que, seguiré activo en el mundillo de la programación web, y es probable que me vuelva a encontrar a alguno de vosotros por la red. That is why, I will continue active in the world of Web programming, and is likely to find me again to any of you over the network.

Atentamente, Nil. Sincerely, Nil. (Antes conocido como PoKeSaFaRi). (Formerly known as PoKeSaFaRi).
POKESAFARIFOROS.com y POKECHAT POKESAFARIFOROS.com and POKECHAT

Estos servicios seguirán abiertos pues no existe ley alguna que prohiba la comunicación entre usuarios que hablen sobre cualquier tema de estas características. These services will remain open because there is no law prohibiting any communication between users who speak on any subject of this kind. SI, fue por esto que separé de la web los foros. Yes, why was separated from Web forums. Como véis, hasta el ultimo segundo, pensando en los intereses de los usuarios, aquellos que han hecho grande esta web. As you see, until the last second, thinking about the interests of users, those who have made this big site.
ESTA AVE RESURGIRÁ DE SUS CENIZAS.QUE NADIE LLORE POR ESTA PÉRDIDA. THIS BIRD resurgent ITS CENIZAS.QUE nobody mourn for this loss.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We are writing to alert you in the name and repesentación, and on behalf of specific clients Nintendo Australia Limited. And its parent company Nintendo Co, Ltd proprietor of the mark POKEMON (national brand with graphic verbal No M 2141090 to 2141104, for classes 3, 9, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 35, 41 and 42) and other industrial property rights and intellectual development of hardware systems and software for its Nintendo Wii game consoles , Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite ( "Nintendo").
What? why the hell would Nintendo of AUSTRALIA of all branches have a problem with this? Is this why they're so usless at getting games here in good time because they've been stalking fan-sites?

Seriously, I'd say they're working on a game/event named Pokemon Safari and wanted the name. I'd fight it, and you can be sure if they try it with SWF, we aren't going down without a fight.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
That's... ridiculous. Pokemon Safari. Yeah that sounds like a typical name for a Pokemon game. But honestly, Nintendo just shuts down a huge website where their fans gather and discuss the game they love, and the company that CREATED that game shuts it down? o.O? Only explanation I see for that is that they're making another game..

boycott, anyone?

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Smashboards isn't in danger unless they want to make a game named Smashboards.

Also, a bit off topic, does anyone know if Nintendo payed Anascape yet? If they don't, that if by far the stupidest decision ever.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
What? why the hell would Nintendo of AUSTRALIA of all branches have a problem with this? Is this why they're so usless at getting games here in good time because they've been stalking fan-sites?

Seriously, I'd say they're working on a game/event named Pokemon Safari and wanted the name. I'd fight it, and you can be sure if they try it with SWF, we aren't going down without a fight.
It's a bad translation, we're talking about Spain.
But yea El Raspa, yall should probably fight it.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
HEY GUYS! you'll never guess what's happening they're making a game call smashboards! in europe they're calling it all is brawl and for some odd reason in japan it's being called nintendo hub!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Yeah, I'd bet money that it is just because they want the domain name. How slimy is that? Don't you normally have to pay someone if you want their domain name? So what, they don't want to pay so they're using this "intellectual property" crap to get it for free?
Even worse, Pokemon Safari being a game means that we probably have yet another spinoff game coming our way. Great. Can't you just focus on the real games for ONCE, Nintendo?

That's... ridiculous. Pokemon Safari. Yeah that sounds like a typical name for a Pokemon game. But honestly, Nintendo just shuts down a huge website where their fans gather and discuss the game they love, and the company that CREATED that game shuts it down? o.O? Only explanation I see for that is that they're making another game..

boycott, anyone?
Definitely boycott. If Nintendo closes down any other fansite, especially SmashBoards, I'm boycotting all of their games but for now I'm going to just boycott Pokemon Safari if it comes out. I hope that everyone here will, too. It'll probably be bad as most of the Pokemon spinoffs recently have been (Mystery Dungeon/Ranger), but even if it looks like a ton of fun I'm going to tell everyone I know to not buy it and I will refuse to buy it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the complaint. However, and an australian user can correct me, maybe Pokemon Safari is the name of the Safari Zone event within the game itself - hence why Nintendo Australia would be the group to raise a stink - rather than an actual spinoff of the game.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's not Australia, it's Spain!
Nintendo of Australia said this.

" We are writing to alert you in the name and repesentación, and on behalf of specific clients Nintendo Australia Limited. And its parent company Nintendo Co, Ltd proprietor of the mark POKEMON (national brand with graphic verbal No M 2141090 to 2141104, for classes 3, 9, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 35, 41 and 42) and other industrial property rights and intellectual development of hardware systems and software for its Nintendo Wii game consoles , Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite ( "Nintendo")."

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
But the original says
Nos ponemos en contacto con usted en nombre y repesentación,y por encargo específico de nuestros clientes NINTENDO ESPAÑA,SA .y su matriz NINTENDO CO,LTD titular de la marca POKEMON (marca nacional denominativa con gráfico nº M 2141090 - 2141104, para las clases 3, 9, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 35, 41 y 42) y demás derechos de propiedad industrial e intelectual de los sistemas de hardware y software para sus videoconsolas Nintendo Wii,Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite ("NINTENDO").
which translates to a horrible translation.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
But the original says which translates to a horrible translation.
Wow, I missed that.

This would be so much more convenient if it were just in English.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Translated by Babelfish. SkylerOcon's post was a bit hard to understand, no offense.
Seconded. Firefox translator isn't exactly the best translator ever.

Anyway, this is most likely because Nintendo:

A) Wanted to make a game called Pokemon Safari. I wouldn't be surprised (probably a ranger sequel).

B) Wanted to close down that fansite to get more traffic to the actual Pokemon homepage. Either that or they're trying to get rid of all smaller fansites and get everybody to go to the biggest one (Serebii, in Pokemon's case).

Just a few theories.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord

A) Wanted to make a game called Pokemon Safari. I wouldn't be surprised (probably a ranger sequel).

B) Wanted to close down that fansite to get more traffic to the actual Pokemon homepage. Either that or they're trying to get rid of all smaller fansites and get everybody to go to the biggest one (Serebii, in Pokemon's case).

Just a few theories.
I think it's the Pokemon Safari thing.

I mean, part of me wonders why they haven't used it already.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Oh my.... ._.

I thought Nintendo was going downhill, but this?

For shame... *sigh*

Pokemonelite2000.com will be going down soon, just know it. :urg:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Just a few theories.
Good theories.

I think both are definitely plausible, but they're not doing much if they're honestly trying to get more traffic for their site. Their site is built for kiddies and it doesn't really have much at all, none of the official sites do. The only thing they have going for them is that they all use some fancy flash player stuff, which just makes the page take forever to load.

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
I heard they were doing some sort of "Celebi giveaway" - if they were manipulating the Japanese Wondercard and distributing it over the internet Nintendo might have had a problem with that. But I doubt that alone's enough for them to shut it down.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Wow...this is stupid. I can't believe Nintendo would actually close a fan-site. That site likely hypes there games causing an increase in sales.

Pokemon Safari- The game? Yeah, I'm definitely not buying that..

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
this is getting rediculous. nintendo USED to be cool. i think the wii will be my last nintendo system.
Yeah, everybody remembers having their own Gameboy and loving it.

Nintendo crushed the competition. Now there are many PS3/360 fanboys...

...but ever since Nintendo pulled crap like this, it all makes sense.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Thankfully I still have Serebii and Bulbapedia, I haven't been to Pokefari in YEARS.

Roihu

Smash Ace
WHAT!?
Wow, I actually really liked Pokemon-Safari. Sucks it had to be closed down.
Funny how this place that's not related to Pokemon much is more curious about this than the leading Pokemon forum. Just pointing out that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That website had larger versions of the Sugimori artwork for each Pokemon. Everywhere else only showed small images. Shame that I'm stuck with the smaller images now.

Top Bottom