• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces New Dedicated Gaming Platform, Codename 'NX'

What do you think of Nintendo branching out into mobile gaming?

• Awesome!

Votes: 138 23.6%
  • It's pretty cool.

Votes: 274 46.9%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 172 29.5%

• Total voters

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think the NX is either a new console, which won't replace the Wii U officially, but it will realistically.

Or Nintendo is making their own smart phone. 'The NX Smart Phone'

...A smart phone with quality of life tracking technology.

Last edited:

Soul.

NX is not a smartphone. It's not a QoL thing. No one knows if it will replace Wii U or 3DS.
I've said this before, it's most likely a third pillar just like how GBA, GCN and DS were in 2004 should the DS had failed to succeed in sales, Nintendo would have went back to Game Boy. But it didn't happen. No one knows if NX is a handheld or a console. This is nothing but speculation.
All they said is that it's a new gaming platform. Is it a console or a handheld? Who knows. Nintendo does.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
That's not pulling a SEGA or tanking like you implied.
First off to clarify, when I meant "pull a Sega," I was implying that Sega panic-ed thirty years ago when the Playstation-2 was released. Instead of them continuing to lose more sales, business, and most importantly finical income, Sega chose to quit the console market and so they survived and are doing VERY WELL towards their adaption. Nintendo isn't smart enough to mimic what Sega once has done and they aren't a survivor console company nope.

Here's another useless and harmless fact man, since 2010 the minority of people that once bought Nintendo products have moved on. You are too naive, if Sega took control of Nintendo and ACTUALLY contained GOOD dictatorship, then Nintendo would be at its highest peak. But by all means be stubborn and you are, in due time we'll understand. And okay sure Microsoft, fine then, what about Sony? Does Bill Gate own them, too? Nope. Okay then. Thanks.

Last edited:

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
I think people are over hyping this a little, we have no evidence that this console is coming anytime soon. Also we have no clue to what extent Nintendo will be involved with mobile games.

Soul.

SEGA was only "scared" of the PS2 because it had DVD compability. DVD alone meant the Dreamcast was nothing but "oh the most powerful console". Dreamcast didn't have DVD and thus everyone ignored it. SEGA then discontinued the thing.
I don't know about SEGA taking control over Nintendo. That's not happening.

USB3.0

Smash Rookie
It'd be nice if they ported over VC games and gave them decent touch controls or remade some games entirely. I emulate Advance Wars on my phone, but give me a version where I can tap squares to make my decisions and pretty up the graphics a bit and I'd gladly give you $10 for it.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I wonder what's doing all the people that bought Sonic 2 back in the day. Guess they're all playing Sonic Boom.
What made Sonic Adventure 2 and 1 so good was the effort, Sega, admiration (to become something in the near future). Not the fancy bs with the hypo-active 3000 with a gorilla glass case with a Intel ultra mega super omega hard drive processor with a printer in the back of the console, and a deep fryer that comes with thirty gallons of Oil to deep fry foods with, oh and it needs to do homework as well, a Vacuum isn't half bad as well, and to top it all off, High Definition! Yyeah.

Precisely, Sega was sacred of that function and I don't blame them, keep in mind Sega carries a depressingly long record of poor dictatorship. After the leader of Sega at that time forced the company to quit making the consoles and ship them overseas, Sega then immediately fired the leader of the company at that time. So it shows Sega was willing to die just to bring the "Ultimate Gaming experience" to us all, respect. Also the Dreamcast can compete with today's consoles on the market.

It is said that the Sega Dreamcast can do 85% towards what the new $500-600 dollar consoles can do. Heck, Sega games are still being played and cherished, three games that Sega labeled were at Evo man-and until this day, people are making new games for the Dreamcast. Why? Because the company knows what we truly want and we appreciate them for it, we're not going to let them perish due to poor dictatorship, and Godly games to enjoy for the rest of our lives.

Don't get me wrong Nintendo was a great company and the games will forever be cherished; however, Sega was my childhood console not the Nintendo. Now they're terrible and the sales contain the solid evidence. Thanks.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mobile Gaming is HUGE in Japan while console gaming on a rapid decline. Even handheld gaming such as the 3DS is on the decline. It makes sense for Nintendo transition into the mobile market. What I think is going to happen we will have a Gamepad-like device without the console. Basically the Nintendo version of an iPad and will be able to connect with the 3DS and the Wii U.

It is rather misleading but I wouldn’t label it as the new console or even spiritual successor of the Wii U/3DS quite yet. It could be a way to bridge the platforms together and create an "one stop home for all Nintendo related products".

Last edited:

Soul.

If I'm not mistaken, they've said they would like to integrate an unified OS and architecture before confirming NX. I wonder how that's going to turn out.
Maybe the NX is the console/handheld hybrid with unified OS and architecture, thus allowing easier ports? Or both console and handheld have the same OS and architecture. Ugh, speculation.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
This will help solidify Nintendo. Several people from Nintendo' s beginning era are now workers and head families of 30+ years. Having Nintendo goodies on their phones will give them both nostalgia and happiness. You bet it will make money. This may also bring old retired gamers to buy consoles and handhelds should they decide to increase what a mobile game offers or as nostalgia factor. It's a win situation. I say smart move. the more market the more revenue. Nintendo needs this since a few years ago.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Invalid entry, check the sales from the past four years as of now, now compare the old sales like in the two thousand year mark. A diagram would suffice a lot more effective towards understanding where Nintendo stands. They've been riding through the bumpy roads, now that Smash-4 came out and it was a success because everyone wanted that game, Nintendo now rides on a soft surfaced road; however, in due time they will find the end of the road sign soon enough.

Compared to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, Nintendo is at the bottom as of now.
What you just mentioned doesn't indicate that Nintendo is going down soon, only that it isn't as profitable as it was before.

You obviously never bothered doing the research so here are some fun facts: Nintendo has so much money from their previous successes that they can run at $250 million deficit and still survive as a company till 2052, and even then they also have around $6 billion in properties, equipment and investments. Once that runs out, then you can start pointing out their downfall which could be in 60 years from now and assuming they decide to just sit over their butts.
So in reality they can afford risky moves like this instead of playing it safe like the other two giants, even if it doesn't always pays off. Nintendo is nowhere being extinct, but don't worry, you are not the first nor will be the last anti Nintendo fanboy who is wrong about this.

*cue the desperate rebuttals trying to downplay this fact*

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
You honestly shouldn't worry. They mention this Nintendo NX thing to be part of the Wii U and 3DS family. Chances are that this "system" is just their own variation of a Smart Device or something relative to that.
HA! Nintablet! I want that to be the name! I'm not really sure how to feel about this, but I would agree that the Wii U will stick around for a while yet. I'm sure if we had more info on it we'd be less jittery about it, so I'd say just watch this space for now.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Nintendo announced a thing, but they didn't say what it was. It's to keep people interested in their dying company.
Nintendo? Dying? Boy, what are you smoking?
Anyway, FOR THE LOVE OF JIGGLYPUFF, NINTENDO, BUY MEGA MAN ALREADY!

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Home Consoles : Chicago - If You Leave Me Now

They are seriously just doing this for money... Hard to believe otherwise. I'm legitimately disappointed, and sad. Nintendo is running out of money and time, but they keep trying. The Wii was a hit, but the GameCube was a sleeper to hard core gamers. (Not for most of us, of course!) Now the Wii U is the GameCube all over again.

If they make generic, ****ty mobile games i.e. Flappy Bird, Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, I will be upset. If they reimagine how a mobile game can work, then I will be interested.

Last edited:

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
This all seemed like natural progression to me. I imagine nintendo will just continue doing similar things like gamefreak is and have fun minigames on mobile devices and their main games on their consoles. Isn't there already a MK8 smartphone app? As for the NX thing, I don't think it will be out until a while now, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bigger gap between announcement and release than the wii u or other consoles did.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Smash 5, now coming to your local app store,

Newcomer! Angry bird

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

They are seriously just doing this for money... Hard to believe otherwise. I'm legitimately disappointed, and sad. Nintendo is running out of money and time, but they keep trying. The Wii was a hit, but the GameCube was a sleeper to hard core gamers. (Not for most of us, of course!) Now the Wii U is the GameCube all over again.

If they make generic, ****ty mobile games i.e. Flappy Bird, Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, I will be upset. If they reimagine how a mobile game can work, then I will be interested.
>Nintendo running out of money

Ok.

Also, Inb4 Ice Climbers mobile game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Nintendo has more than enough money to stay afloat doing nothing for decades.

D

Deleted member

If I'm not mistaken, they've said they would like to integrate an unified OS and architecture before confirming NX. I wonder how that's going to turn out.
Maybe the NX is the console/handheld hybrid with unified OS and architecture, thus allowing easier ports? Or both console and handheld have the same OS and architecture. Ugh, speculation.
I think it's the latter.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Honestly I kind of hope Nintendo does a steam like platform for PC. AT THE VERY LEAST they should heavily consider rereleasing gcn and n64 games for pc since they can't be bothered to do it for the Wii U. I know they're considering new titles for these new platforms, but cmon man. Melee on PC would be amazing.

As much as I'd love to see Nintendo games on Steam (it'd probably be really profitable for them), they are too conservative and out of the loop to be bothered to do anything with valve.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

And why is Nintendo doing this for money a bad thing? Nintendo is a company and, therefore, revenue is first in thier priorities. If this can turn a profit, then Nintendo will continue with in developing and pouring resources into it. Maybe it's not what you personally want to see but maybe Nintendo views this is a smart business move and the next logical step forward.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@ NATO:

....you do know that by that Statement Sony is actually hurting the most, right? PS4 has sold 20 million, but 3D TV flopped, the Vita has had lukewarm success( it just hit 10 million iirc), and the Spider-Man franchise met with such low success they have ANOTHER reboot planned and were forced to cooperate with Marvel.

There does come a time where even the gods must die, but for Nintendo that will not be for years-after all, the last time they were in a Dreamcast like situation, they created the Wii, their biggest success to date.

Last edited:

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
So is this a console? Or are they making a Nintendo version of steam? I think the latter makes way more sense, as steam does everything Iwata said he wanted. The only thing I worry is that if they do make PC games, they better make games for both windows and mac. You have no idea how frustrating it is that sega, capcom, ubisoft, etc only develop games for windows, and i REALLY wanna play games like street fighter, sonic generations, saints row, skullgirls, etc.

Se7enSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
Se7enSB
"Many have been clamoring for mobile Nintendo titles for years, so this may be a huge source of profit for Nintendo in the future."

What about the Gameboy and Nintendo DS systems? I'm personally tired of Nintendo making a brand new console that's actually pretty advanced, making a few good games for it then giving up and repeat the cycle.

"Here's our new console" "Here's a few good games" "now check out our NEW console that may have even less games".

The Nintendo 64 was super successful because it was around for awhile, not because it was made for 2 years then left in the dirt for a brand new console.

As far as mobile goes the Gameboy and Nintendo DS are a huge success. I think making games for Smartphone is silly but then again Nintendo just wants the money.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I can tell you don't understand why they can't do that yet.
Enlighten me then. Assuming this NX truly is a new console, why would they announce one this soon when the Wii U is still too new? I would imagine they'd wait until near the end of this current gen before announcing a new console.

The whole mobile thing is fine; it's the system thing that's a head-scratcher for me. It could be implied they're playing catchup with PS4 and Xbox One in the hardware department, but who knows? Unless it's a steam-like system, in which case, it'd be rather interesting.

What would Nintendo care? They have so much money, that they can lose millions every year for 20 years, and still be a juggernaut financially.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Enlighten me then. Assuming this NX truly is a new console, why would they announce one this soon when the Wii U is still too new? I would imagine they'd wait until near the end of this current gen before announcing a new console.

The whole mobile thing is fine; it's the system thing that's a head-scratcher for me. It could be implied they're playing catchup with PS4 and Xbox One in the hardware department, but who knows? Unless it's a steam-like system, in which case, it'd be rather interesting.

What would Nintendo care? They have so much money, that they can lose millions every year for 20 years, and still be a juggernaut financially.
True, but why lose money just because you can? The Wii U is still not as much of a success as they wanted it to be, so if they have this idea that they think can get them more green, why not go for it?

Top Bottom