• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces New Dedicated Gaming Platform, Codename 'NX'

What do you think of Nintendo branching out into mobile gaming?

• Awesome!

Votes: 138 23.6%
  • It's pretty cool.

Votes: 274 46.9%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 172 29.5%

• Total voters

SmashBoar

Smash Ace
NNID
GuardianOfZone3
Hmm, to be honest, I'm not really sure what to think of the NX, although I'm certainly interested in seeing how well this will go for Nintendo.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I really hope that this means they will keep the thought mods in mind. PM will never be acknowledged by Nintendo due to to dumb copywrite laws, but I hopefully it taught them there is huge gain from having mod support for a console. The wii sold alot more units because of it regardless of how little it was. Money is money and I hope they see the potential.
Not sure if I'd say the Wii sold "a lot" more units because of mods, as PM downloads are tiny compared to overall Brawl sales and Wii sales. It is true that some Melee fans got Wiis and Brawl discs solely because of Brawl mods, which didn't cost Nintendo a dime. I don't think mods make enough of a difference to be a primary consideration when it comes to making this move, but they're not something Nintendo needs to worry about when it comes to hurting their bottom line, as mods are mostly enjoyed by hardcore fans who buy the official releases anyway. Piracy is something that they are very concerned about, and copyright laws are such that they can't acknowledge mods without opening the door for piracy. Also if they feel mod support opens up the door for piracy(which they probably do) they will definitely opt to try to stop piracy before opening up their platform.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So this is the program that Nintendo was talking about earlier. Personally, I believe that Nintendo will either:

Let DeNA make some original Nintendo IPs for Mobile devices.

Make Original IPs for Mobile Devices.

Or they might just release already existing Nintendo IP on there.

It would be nonsensical to ignore the Wii U consumers as it is making them money now.

On a personal note, I will spectate quietly and wait to see how things turn out.

Edit: Just remembered that this might be the account system program that lets Nintendo keep track of our purchases that are multipurchase across devices.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
From the IGN Source:

"Iwata explained that while Nintendo plans to "produce multiple hit titles at an early stage" when it begins to release smartphone games, it will continue doing its best to develop separate game titles for its hardware platforms. "For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices," he said."

"According to the announcement today, the partnership will only develop new original games for smart devices rather than porting Nintendo Wii U and 3DS games to smartphones."

Link from 'announcement':
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150317e.pdf

Edit: Page 2 from PDF link:

"(1) Joint development and operation of gaming applications for smart devices using Nintendo’s intellectual property (“Nintendo IP”), including its characters Nintendo and DeNA intend to jointly operate new gaming applications featuring Nintendo IP, which they will develop specifically for smart devices. Consequently, Nintendo expects to benefit from new business opportunities as more consumers encounter Nintendo IP, and DeNA expects to strengthen its core business of mobile gaming internationally through the use of Nintendo IP."

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Seems interesting but not sure how successful it could be.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo NX...
NX, N sounds like M, X when said outloud sounds like "eks", eks has 3 letters, two has 3 letters, Mew has 3 letters AND starts with M. Mewtwo. Nintendo NX has 11 letters in whole, November is the 11th month of the year, if we take the 3 from before, we get the 3rd November.

MEWTWO RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Wonder what NX means.
If it's something like "Nintendo X" someone at Nintendo needs to be fired.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
They'll get a lot more software sales, but they'll definitely lose some hardware sales. This is something that could go really well, or go really badly.

Also, I think the poll options are kinda crappy.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Nintendo NX...
N....X
ann...ex

They're bringing it all together folks.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well, this is...I don't know what to think of it, to be honest. We'll have to see how they implement it. It definitely seems like there's a lot of potential, at least.

hakaithesamurai

Smash Cadet
NNID
hakai009
3DS FC
3969-5099-6833
This makes me think a nintendo service like steam or something similar. The word system makes me think a streaming device. Very interesting

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
They really aren't.
Invalid entry, check the sales from the past four years as of now, now compare the old sales like in the two thousand year mark. A diagram would suffice a lot more effective towards understanding where Nintendo stands. They've been riding through the bumpy roads, now that Smash-4 came out and it was a success because everyone wanted that game, Nintendo now rides on a soft surfaced road; however, in due time they will find the end of the road sign soon enough.

Compared to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, Nintendo is at the bottom as of now.

Soul.

Invalid entry, check the sales from the past four years as of now, now compare the old sales like in the two thousand year mark. A diagram would suffice a lot more effective towards understanding where Nintendo stands. They've been riding through the bumpy roads, now that Smash-4 came out and it was a success because everyone wanted that game, Nintendo now rides on a soft surfaced road; however, in due time they will find the end of the road sign soon enough.

Just because they're losing sales does not mean they will pull a SEGA.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I knew it the moment I layed my hands on Pokémon Shuffle... I can't help but fear that this is the end of the Nintendo we all love and cherish.

For god sake, if you're going to start following trends, I'm begging you; PLEEEEEEEEEEASE don't screw this up! Prove me wrong in every way, Nintendo!

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
sega goes mobile= R.I.P. sega :(
nintendo goes mobile= expanding audience and platform

i must say sega did something before nintendo but nintendo STILL managed to do it better.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

You can't compare Nintendo to M$.

Microsoft was founded by the guy who became the second richest man in the world, and is a giant corporation that focuses on a lot more than video games.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's kinda bittersweet really,

On one hand, There's a lot of potential in a new way to play games and a new means of unified system connection

But on the other hand, Nintendo is doing the one thing they said they'd never do, go to smartphones, kinda shows how much things have changed for the gaming company most unaffected by modernization. However they seem to have a good idea on what to do with smartphones by creating original games for them. I just hope they aren't going to go "freemium", but they've been handling DLC in the best manner I've probably ever seen, so I'm optimistic if a little fearful.

Soul.

To clarify:
No, Nintendo isn't giving up on video game hardware. They're using their properties to make completely original games for the sake of profit and only profit. There is a reason why their stock soared (and still is) after the announcement.

No, NX isn't replacing Wii U or 3DS. It's more or less a third pillar just like how Game Boy Advance, GameCube and the newly-announced DS were in 2004.

I hope the membership thing isn't like PS4 or Xbox One in that you have to pay in order to play online. That makes no sense imo.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well hopefully they don't end up like Sega did. Otherwise, they'll be as good as ****ed.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

That's not pulling a SEGA or tanking like you implied.

Soul.

Pulling a SEGA: Make a new console, release it, make a new console afterwards, make an add-on, make a new console, release it, and not let it stabilize. Also cutting their production.

Nintendo isn't doing anything like that.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
We'll get more news on it next year, but I don't think NX will be released until 2018. Unless Nintendo pulls a SEGA and the Wii U is like the Dreamcast

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
watch it be some kind of nintendo 3ds remake for smartphones
"Nintendo also confirmed that the partnership will only develop new original games for smart devices rather than porting Nintendo Wii U and 3DS games to smartphones. "

Soul.

"NX is meant to show the company's continued commitment to dedicated hardware for those curious." -NeoGAF

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
Dear Nintendo,

I've loved you guys since I was a child. You have entertained me for years. It wasn't always smooth, but you have always got your **** together when you needed to most. I hope this new venture is exactly what you needed. I don't want to see the mighty fall.

Sincerely,

A long time Nintendo fan.

Pakichu Noriwa

Smash Rookie
NNID
PakichuNoriwa
3DS FC
3153-4515-5524
I am looking forward to new developments.

I can understand the skepticism, though.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I get the impression that Nintendo announcing the "NX" this early is effectively a statement of intent; after all, they didn't give us any concrete information. I suspect that they announced it because they want to make it as clear as possible that expanding into mobile territory won't hinder their dedicated console and portable endeavors.

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I'm scared.

I want to believe in this, but. Mobile platforms just wouldn't feel right to me. Hopefully we'll hear more soon.

Top Bottom