• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces New Dedicated Gaming Platform, Codename 'NX'

What do you think of Nintendo branching out into mobile gaming?

• Awesome!

Votes: 138 23.6%
  • It's pretty cool.

Votes: 274 46.9%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 172 29.5%

• Total voters

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

During a joint press conference to announce its partnership with Japanese mobile gaming company DeNA, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata revealed that the company is currently working on it's next generation video game system. Codenamed "Nintendo NX", the new system will be a part of a new unified account membership service which includes the existing 3DS family, the Wii U, the new DeNA partnered smartphone compatibility and Nintendo NX.

Although Iwata never mentioned whether it was a new video game "console" or not, he did reference the NX as a "dedicated game system with a brand new concept". Details are scarce so far, but Iwata confirms that there will be much more news on Nintendo NX next year.

Nintendo also announced that it would be partnering with DeNA to create a core software platform for smart devices, PCs and tablets. Nintendo also confirmed that the partnership will only develop new original games for smart devices rather than porting Nintendo Wii U and 3DS games to smartphones. This new service will replace the old Club Nintendo service and will be unified no matter what system the user is playing on. No words yet on if the new membership will have a points or rewards system similar to Club Nintendo. Nintendo wants to have its new multi-device membership service ready for launch in Fall 2015.

"Now that we are going to release games on smart devices and make use of globally widespread PCs and smart devices for our new membership service, we would like to offer more consumers with software that is suited to their tastes. In other words, we are challenging ourselves to redefine what 'Nintendo platforms' mean." -Satoru Iwata
Many have been clamoring for mobile Nintendo titles for years, so this may be a huge source of profit for Nintendo in the future. It will also be interesting to see what types of games are developed - whether that be simple mobile titles such as puzzle games and infinite runners, or mobile versions of Nintendo products.

Source: IGN

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and thinks this sounds pretty cool. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Never thought I'd see the day…

:093:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
The fact that their home console and portable divisions are going to be unified in the future with their new hardware makes me hopeful that they'll get adequate third party support.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Do we get buttons with our games? Won't lay a finger(pun intentional) on any touch-only game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This scares me.
I don't know whether this is malinvestment produced by the fickle monetary overlords of Japan, or a rightly measured business move.
Oh well, let's see what happens.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
The messiah hath returned

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
These news, they really expanded my dong to feature length status. We can all agree that this mobile branch out is quite the hefty expansion pak.

D

Deleted member

As long as this doesn't interrupt/replace their main consoles... :( If I'm missing something big by not taking part in the mobile games, I'm going to be mad.

Last edited by a moderator:

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
Actually would be a good idea. Old franchises like F-Zero and Earthbound could revitalized mobily
I don't think old classics hold any weight anymore. Younger generation just isn't into the same kind of **** we were, and to build on old ideas is really just stoking the fire.

Soul.

Yo no way. What the.
Wait I'm confused. Is NX a new console or a new thing they just announced?

Purplepanda

Smash Rookie
NNID
Purplepanda70
3DS FC
1607-3526-6883
I hope that the NX turns out to be a stronger powered system, even if it needs to cost more.

I feel like Nintendo going into the mobile business will only hurt them in the end.

D

Deleted member

Well, whatever it is, this is going to be the next "third pillar" system. Dis gon b gud.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I hope them announcing this will bring Wii u prices down a bit lol

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I hope they call the new system the NX-01.
Maybe it can even be capable of warp drive technology!

That was a Star Trek reference by the way...

Massive

Smash Champion
Nintendo's software products have always been consistently solid and frequently very innovative. They have pretty easily been the best First Party developer around.

The idea that we will no longer be tied to their antiquated and restrictive hardware choices is one of the best things I have ever heard.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is pretty interesting. Probably the most interesting part is the NX and the console and handheld divisions coming together. This might be something like the cheesy Nintendo fusion idea... But they just released the N3DS. Unless the N3DS works with the NX. But then I doubt they're going to drop the Wii U so fast... Hm. Hmhmhmh. It's tough to really make anything of this. Maybe some light will be shed on Thursday's Direct in Korea.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
"What do you think of Nintendo branching out into mobile gaming?"

.........Ah no don't go Sega on us please........

Soul.

Apparently Nintendo's stock soared when they said they would make stuff for smartphones.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Why is everyone saying "I hope this doesn't replace the 3DS/Wii U?". They announced that the new membership thing will work on the 3Ds, Wii U and NX. So it isn't going to replace anything.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why is everyone saying "I hope this doesn't replace the 3DS/Wii U?". They announced that the new membership thing will work on the 3Ds, Wii U and NX. So it isn't going to replace anything.
Said the same thing for the DS and Wii.

Although this is probably going to be related to the Smartphone games. Might just be some kiddie tablet that only does games. But with a name like NX you can't help but think it'll be big.

DwhitetheGamer

Smash Rookie
I'm currently taking bids for a mobile Super Smash Bros. game.

But in all seriousness, this "NX" or whatever it's called looks promising.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I really hope that this means they will keep the thought mods in mind. PM will never be acknowledged by Nintendo due to to dumb copywrite laws, but I hopefully it taught them there is huge gain from having mod support for a console. The wii sold alot more units because of it regardless of how little it was. Money is money and I hope they see the potential.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
So it's just PC's and mobile's and stuff and not a new console? I just got a Wii U so they BETTER not release a console in a long time!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So it's just PC's and mobile's and stuff and not a new console? I just got a Wii U so they BETTER not release a console in a long time!
You honestly shouldn't worry. They mention this Nintendo NX thing to be part of the Wii U and 3DS family. Chances are that this "system" is just their own variation of a Smart Device or something relative to that.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
You honestly shouldn't worry. They mention this Nintendo NX thing to be part of the Wii U and 3DS family. Chances are that this "system" is just their own variation of a Smart Device or something relative to that.
oh ok :) ty

Top Bottom