• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces National Smash 3DS Tournament

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
That moment when you realize that a Smash 4 National Tournament is being hosted at about 5 minutes walking distance away. :4wario:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
GreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontanaGreatFallsMontana-
*Sees there aren't any in Montana*
colbert rage gif.gif

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Same day as The Big House 4? Come on Nintendo. You're better than that. We know your representatives check this site on a regular basis so they know about The Big House 4. Do not try and directly compete with the competitive community. It will cause problems. It will cause divide. In my opinion, the date of this tournament is disrespectful. They're going to be missing nearly the entire competitive community.
Better than that? You do know how absurd that sounds. It's the weekend of the game's release. They're not going to upend things just because of The Big House Snore.

Senario

Smash Ace
Better than that? You do know how absurd that sounds. It's the weekend of the game's release. They're not going to upend things just because of The Big House Snore.
Big House 4 did have the date first before the 3ds release date was announced.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
And that matters why? We're not talking about a skate clothing label. This is major corporation and a lot more factors into a release date than 500 children. And you can believe that the release date was decided upon well before the announcement. Does anyone really expect Nintendo to say, "Oh sorry, distributers. We need to move the date because there's going to be a Project M competition the same weekend"?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
They did this with Brawl... I went to the one in SF. Honestly I think this tournament is a bit shameful, sorry if I'm busting the hype, but that's what this event is for - for marketing purposes. If this was a real tournament, they'd let us practice at least a week or two after the game was released. They just want to generate hype, which isn't bad per se, but I think it's a bit cheap to call it a "tournament."

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You called it that most likely because I assume you're not attending. It's a national tournament that has some of the best smash players from all of the US come in to play. It's a massive deal. Also, in my opinion, holding a tournament the day after the game comes out is a bit silly. There's not much time to explore the game at all.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Lets see:
  • Not in my state of Arizona so I can't come anyway
  • Stupidass items are allowed, all of them.
  • 4 player free for alls
  • Only allows default characters
  • Occurs only 1 day after the game's release, expect to see a bunch of below average players when they've only had one day to practice (unless they use the 5 demo characters maybe)
  • First come, First served rule supports the problem of bringing in a ton of unskilled players
  • No rematches
  • National Tournament disallows you from switching characters and stay with the same person for the whole time, no counterpicks
Waste of time.. probably won't be fun to watch a bunch of casual chaos parties. I dunno what this Big House thing is (can someone explain it to me?), but I think I just might either check it out or just go to a club and play Melee or Sm4sh there, with real competitive matches.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
You called it that most likely because I assume you're not attending. It's a national tournament that has some of the best smash players from all of the US come in to play. It's a massive deal. Also, in my opinion, holding a tournament the day after the game comes out is a bit silly. There's not much time to explore the game at all.
Uh called it what? I know what the Big House is. And I know it is a big national, I intend to watch it since I cannot make it due to college.

And yes, holding a tournament the day after release is silly. Nintendo did this after brawl released.

Generally if this event had been more clearly geared towards competitive play then there would be extremely little reason to have it on that day. But due to ruleset it clearly is more for your general casual fanbase. And I use that in the nicest possible way I can. There is no way it will take away anything from The Big House. But honestly? I wouldn't have put two events on the same day regardless. Splitting the community here.

Whatever you do, don't major in business.
Also, you can't seem to get your point across without insulting somebody. 500 Children? Great, thanks for being another example of the smash 4 community's maturity. Side with the corporation if you want. I'm just pointing out that it is silly to have two events on the same day.

shapular

Smash Ace
Also, you can't seem to get your point across without insulting somebody. 500 Children? Great, thanks for being another example of the smash 4 community's maturity. Side with the corporation if you want. I'm just pointing out that it is silly to have two events on the same day.
There are always going to be multiple tournaments on the same day, even within the same state or a state away. It's not splitting the community, it's giving the community more options. TBH4 is at one place in Michigan. Nintendo's tournament is all over the country. That means it can serve a lot more of the community than TBH4 can, and it doesn't matter if the people going to TBH4 don't go to it because there will be plenty of people to fill the spots anyway. Why don't you go yell at Keitaro for hosting KTAR X on the same day? That's much more of a threat to actually pull people from TBH4.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
I just don't understand the point of having items on, and then removing them later. That's just dumb.
I honestly liked the format, the more you go up in the tourney, the more traditional it gets, it is like a progression.

It's like saying: to win this tournament,
you must be good at playing smash the way it is meant to be played first and foremost.
if you're that good then you get to play 1v1 vs those other good players in a more personal, traditional FG manner.

the winner of this types of tournament is what we can say a good smash player. overall good in both smash style and competitive style.

Last edited:

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
It's like saying: to win this tournament,
you must be good at playing smash the way it is meant to be played first and foremost.
if you're that good then you get to play 1v1 vs those other good players in a more personal, traditional FG manner.

the winner of this types of tournament is what we can say a good smash player. overall good in both smash style and competitive style.
I honestly hate the casual rules... but I have to say I can't disagree with you. It does say a lot if someone can consistently win, even under the terrible circumstances that item free-for-all creates. Like Mario Kart.

But still... hate, hate the rules here, lol.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
>Items
>Free for all
>Same day as BH4
No thanks. I love items and free for alls but not in tournament.
I honestly hate the casual rules... but I have to say I can't disagree with you. It does say a lot if someone can consistently win, even under the terrible circumstances that item free-for-all creates. Like Mario Kart.

But still... hate, hate the rules here, lol.

I read through the rules and crap, and it says the Final Destination versions of the stages ARE allowed, and in the demo, if you pick the FD stage it turns off items automatically.
dafuq

Last edited:

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
I kinda want to go out. I've never been to a fighting game tournament before, but I don't like the rules. I live in Tomball, TX, so the one in Houston is about an hour away. I dunno, I might go.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Aaaaaaaaand not a single one in Minnesota. Hell there's not even one CLOSE to me! And yet Florida gets three! ****ing really Nintendo?

RedRambo4

Smash Cadet
I wanna go to the Anaheim one, but I start a new job next week and I don't know what my schedule will be like

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Uh called it what? I know what the Big House is. And I know it is a big national, I intend to watch it since I cannot make it due to college.

And yes, holding a tournament the day after release is silly. Nintendo did this after brawl released.

Generally if this event had been more clearly geared towards competitive play then there would be extremely little reason to have it on that day. But due to ruleset it clearly is more for your general casual fanbase. And I use that in the nicest possible way I can. There is no way it will take away anything from The Big House. But honestly? I wouldn't have put two events on the same day regardless. Splitting the community here.

Wait a minute, you just insulted the smash 4 community by claiming the guy was another example of said community's maturity! No one likes a hypocrite Senario and if you can't act your age by not insulting people back or rather a whole group of people in this case and be able to actually back up your asinine claims that this silly little tournament Nintendo is having will somehow split the community despite it not being really relevant if at all, then please do not post on here anymore. Thanks. :)

Pee-Gcuatro20

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
3DS FC
3540-1271-4845
So to enter you just show?first come first serve? You know Ima bout be there like at6 am.any other Colorado smashers out there?

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
Plano and Houston; both of which are 4+ hours away from me.
I'll pass driving 4+ hours just to not get a spot.

Top Bottom