• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nietono and Brood (vids inside)

RichBrown

Smash Master
Brood vs Nietono: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4vtNk_iwo

There are a TON more videos on this channel, I highly recommend you all check them out. They JUST got uploaded.

What do you guys think of both these Olimars?

Brood: I absolutely love his style. He's a little wreckless at times which gets him into trouble, but that's part of what makes him scary. He sneaks in attacks and makes opponents second guess approaching.

Nietono: Japan claimed he was the best... but idk. He's a little too defensive for me, and he rolls a LOT, which severely limits his mobility imo. I don't like how he plays against MK, he plays a little too scared for my liking.

It's super late and I really should be sleeping in preparation for the San Diego tournament tomorrow, but I wanted to draw some attention to these vids (as well as generate some discussion on these boards).

So what do you guys think of these players? Who's better? How do they compare to us? What do they do better, what can they improve upon, etc

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I was watching some Brood vids earlier.

He thinks. Fast, and he baits his opponents often with empty SH's and he's sexy.

Haven't seen Nietono.

Also it bothers me Brood's tag ends with the katakana for "to"..I don't know Katakana well enough to read his tag though.

If I had to take a guess it is:
"Bu-ruuto"

The - (3rd character of his tag) just extends the u from ru.

ブルート
That is his tag? Right? If so... then I'm correct.

:nifty::leek:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Nice, nice. I'll check the vids out when I get some time. I really like Nietono's style, always have since I saw some of his videos awhile ago, lol. I feel like my style is a lot more like his than Brood's, so that's probably the main reason I like him more. I'll check them all out, though, and see what I can pick from them. I haven't played Brawl in a week @_@.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nietono is considered better because within Japan he does slightly better than Brood. Nietono took a set of RAIN, something I've never seen Brood do. Brood also goes about even with Shuu [apparently #1 Snake in Japan], whom Nietono typically beats solidly. Finally Kakera [imo the best ICs in the world] also 2 stocked Brood in the past and pretty much always beats him whereas he's having a much harder time with Nietono [last set Kakera won because of a SD on Nietono's part].

As for Nietono's rolls - I don't see the problem with it. I'm by no means an Olimar expert, let alone the Olimar ditto but just by looking at their playstyles as well as Olimar's tools it makes quite a lot of sense to roll. Sitting in your shield against a grab spammer with somewhat limited OoS options seems to cut down Olimar's options a lot more than rolling into a better position. Is mobility that much of an issue in the ditto?

Edit:

For the sake of comparision:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZj4F9wrpM [Brood vs Shu]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-pxt6ZYGY [Nietono vs Shu]

:059:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
So why does Nietono use airdodge when he's momentum canceling?

EDIT: It may just be me, but Shu tried to camp a lot more against Nietono than Brood.
Also, he has a clear earlyish gimp at 2:27 in the Nietono video and doesn't take it for some odd reason.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
while i haven't watched all the vids yet, im watching niento and his style seems like something that wouldn't effective in america, because his opponents get very scared and roll away, instead of attempting to punish is rolls, punish his numerous side-bs, or use attacks to out-prioritize his attacks

not gonna lie, i think brood is better than niento from these vids, niento camps very hard, but, when i look really closely, i see stuff that top american's would punish better, i cannot say the same for brood, the only things niento really has over brood is knowledge of mechanics, reaction time (nientos is ****ing amazing) and spacing

also, one interesting thing i saw in a brood vs. mk match, he threw a purple pikmin at a gliding mk so he was forced to attack then brood grabbed right away out of the range range

Denti

Smash Master
If an olimar wants to place high, he has to be risky. Camping with olimar doesn't allow you to learn the weaknesses of your opponent, and olimar is all about taking advantage of weaknesses.

Brood all the way because being scared doesn't make you perform consistent.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
Tasty. And has anyone realized that they roll a lot in japan? but it's really good because they set themselves up for a grab or fsmash, idk i just feel like we make rolling out to be the worst possible thing to do in a situation, if there's a laggy fsmash or something roll behind them and then punish, its a lot easier than dashing away then back to punish.

Idk who is better here, but i know they are both better than me. I'll go back there tomorrow and watch some more of those vids.

Edit: Gheb talked a bit on rolls i just realized. I want a roll right now.
Crap now i'm hungry.

Greward

Smash Lord
nietono is a defensive olimar. he runs away and toss pikmins all the match. brood is more aggro and pretty crazy which i like more.

i just think that olimar should be played as brood does, i dont like camping with olimar and i dont think it does that much damage except on large chars, imo olimar should use pikmin toss just to make their opponents approach and resetting the kill moves, not to make most of the damage, because we got awesome combos and all our attacks deal insane damage. of course this is matchup dependant.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I think Brood's better at baiting and approaching while Nintono plays smarter and stalls somewhat. I can't really say who's better though...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
while i haven't watched all the vids yet, im watching niento and his style seems like something that wouldn't effective in america, because his opponents get very scared and roll away, instead of attempting to punish is rolls, punish his numerous side-bs, or use attacks to out-prioritize his attacks

not gonna lie, i think brood is better than niento from these vids, niento camps very hard, but, when i look really closely, i see stuff that top american's would punish better, i cannot say the same for brood, the only things niento really has over brood is knowledge of mechanics, reaction time (nientos is ****ing amazing) and spacing

also, one interesting thing i saw in a brood vs. mk match, he threw a purple pikmin at a gliding mk so he was forced to attack then brood grabbed right away out of the range range
I remember that when the Japanese came to APEX, people noted that when they first arrived they rolled and air dodged a lot and got punished for it, and they didn't do the same to other people. They began to as the tourney went by, but that in combination with videos is certainly an indication of stronger punishing skills in America, or perhaps a more punish dependent meta game.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Brood has the play style that I like, I play that way too just really bad.

Oli's dodge roll is really bad against some characters, like Marth. Once he calls that roll it's almost over for him.

Jane

Smash Hero
you guys say "you should play like brood, defensive oli isnt as effective", but yet you see it there right in front of you that nietono's defensive playstyle has made him the better olimar of the two.

and saying japan's metagame is different has no merit. we all know, and should have faith in the japanese's ability to play just as well as us, if not better

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
you guys say "you should play like brood, defensive oli isnt as effective", but yet you see it there right in front of you that nietono's defensive playstyle has made him the better olimar of the two.

and saying japan's metagame is different has no merit. we all know, and should have faith in the japanese's ability to play just as well as us, if not better
Smart post is smart.

Who does better against RAIN? Nietono.
Who does better against YUI? Nietono.
Who does better against Kakera? Nietono.
Who does better against Shuu? Nietono.

We have no evidence of Brood doing better than Nietono against anybody [because he doesn't] whereas all results we have so far clearly solidify that Nietono > Brood.

:059:

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
Nietono is better than Brood. First of all, he beats brood pretty easily, and I also find that the way he organizes his pikmins is better than Brood does. I think there is a consensus among the youtube comments i read as well that Nietono is better

Dnyce

Smash Master
Nietono is better than Brood. First of all, he beats brood pretty easily, and I also find that the way he organizes his pikmins is better than Brood does. I think there is a consensus among the youtube comments i read as well that Nietono is better
Cool story bro.

Top Bottom