• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
F2P NASB wouldn't work less because of how the game's designed and moreso how the roster's designed. Most of the game's fandom is 2000s kids, but most of the roster is 90s characters - either they create a bunch of cosmetics for characters a majority of the casual fandom don't want to play as, or they give the 2000s characters too much love and leave the likes of PTM and Oblina as the game's "Geary" so to speak. Even if the game ended up attracting more of a demographically even audience, there's still the matter of Spob, Avatar, TMNT, and Garfield being significantly more popular than the other IPs here and therefore very suspectible to favouritism when selling cosmetics.
And we already know how stingy Nick is with cosmetics.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuelled, the character Geary became a bit infamous for not getting any skins and being the only base game character without one - he eventually got a skin in the game's final update, specifically in response to the demand.
Ah, I stopped playing CTRNF quickly because I couldn't stand the Switch version's framerate but that's what my group was playing.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
After some thought, I'm pretty optimistic about "meme trash" albeit with a tiny bit of caution - the main reason Smash's gimmicks suck so much is because they're trying to make you play another game, Hugh doesn't come from a game and has never been playable in one before either so I think we're safe. Hopefully he leans more Rivals than FP2 - I haven't played Slap City but supposedly it handles gimmicks pretty well. I think we'll have to see what gimmick(s) he has first and how the gimmickless majority of the roster handles it - if this even is a gimmick and not something else, are there any Slap City characters who ride a bike? Maybe he's a direct clone?

Anyway, his release should be within 13 weeks about

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With all these sales and the impeding addition of Hugh this game is gonna blow up. It would be even bigger once they add crossplay.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
With all these sales and the impeding addition of Hugh this game is gonna blow up. It would be even bigger once they add crossplay.
Don't get your hopes up - I do have high hopes for crossplay (the subreddit usually has 10 to 30, sometimes 50, visitors at a time on a day with no news which I think is a good sign for the non-segregated queues considering it's one of the smaller NASB communities), but it's not gonna dominate the discussion like in December ever again - which is OK, and dare I say a good thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the game has settled into its niche. That's not a bad thing. The same will likely happen to MVS once the launch hype dies down. Its what happens to compidtive game.

I also think the game will aways have a certain stigma with those who haven't actually played it. But that's alright since the game has found its audience

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also think the game will aways have a certain stigma with those who haven't actually played it.
That's the problem. The game being niche would be fine, but it also has a hatedom dedicated to making sure the game stays unpopular due to disappointment with the launch version of the game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly at this point I think nothing will make the game "blow up". We got items, voice acting, one of the most requested characters (Jenny) and some others coming (Hugh and Rocko), the game was on sale multiple times and even very close to release. A new sale is nice and 15$ is a amazing price but at this point I'm pretty sure that people who really wanted to buy the game already did.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Honestly at this point I think nothing will make the game "blow up". We got items, voice acting, one of the most requested characters (Jenny) and some others coming (Hugh and Rocko), the game was on sale multiple times and even very close to release. A new sale is nice and 15$ is a amazing price but at this point I'm pretty sure that people who really wanted to buy the game already did.
do not underestimate just how many people want Jimmy and Timmy, that's about the only thing left that could really draw people in who don't already own it. There's an entire generation of Nick fans who haven't seen the 4 iconic 2000's Nicktoons characters team up playable for a game since Toybots and before that the original Unite

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
do not underestimate just how many people want Jimmy and Timmy, that's about the only thing left that could really draw people in who don't already own it. There's an entire generation of Nick fans who haven't seen the 4 iconic 2000's Nicktoons characters team up playable for a game since Toybots and before that the original Unite
A fine example of why Jimmy should've gotten in before Hugh. :/

Baysha

Smash Ace
Eh. I feel like if someone straight-up won't play the game because one or two characters are absent then they won't really be that committed to the game if they're in.

A fine example of why Jimmy should've gotten in before Hugh. :/

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Eh. I feel like if someone straight-up won't play the game because one or two characters are absent then they won't really be that committed to the game if they're in.

I've never liked it when fighting games do the "character that isn't the main character because hurrdurr more interesting" - especially when the only reason a character got picked is for stupid memes.

This game is called Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. Jimmy definitely is an all-star. Hugh is not.

On another topic, however... what would you guys think if they did a character from the newest Nick animated series, Star Trek Prodigy? Yay or Nay?

Personally, I'd be down, assuming a few other characters get in first.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've never liked it when fighting games do the "character that isn't the main character because hurrdurr more interesting" - especially when the only reason a character got picked is for stupid memes.

This game is called Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. Jimmy definitely is an all-star. Hugh is not.

On another topic, however... what would you guys think if they did a character from the newest Nick animated series, Star Trek Prodigy? Yay or Nay?

there aren’t enough ways to say nay in the universe

Baysha

Smash Ace
While I am a Star Trek fan, I'm not really that big on Prodigy characters getting in. I don't really have any attachment to this specific installment. The closest thing to attachment to it is that it has a similar concept to a bad fanfic that's a minor meme in my family. That's not even getting into other aspects such as clashes with the game's theme of "Nicktoons."

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
yeah, cause that was clearly the point I was trying to make there
All I'm saying is that people who watched Jimmy Neutron aren't gonna buy it for Hugh. They want Jimmy.

I don’t like it. Surely I made that much clear
Why? Do you just not like Star Trek or do you just hate it because it's not something you grew up with

Baysha

Smash Ace
Why? Do you just not like Star Trek or do you just hate it because it's not something you grew up with
He said this on RTC:

this is not going to end well

chances: 5% going by what everyone else says it's more than likely not going to happen. it's connections with nick itself sound kinda of flimsy. on top of that no real interest from the fans? it's not looking good in anyway.

want: can we give negative score? no? 0% it is then. star trek is one of the most boring things I have ever seen. there are not enough ways to describe how much i can stand this boring waste of pop culture. to put it simply everything I've seen it do I think "i've seen other sci-fis do this way better". i mean it managed to make something featuring sir patrick stuart boring, that shouldn't be possible. that man can make shakespear interesting. but no this show is terrible with the closest thing it has to a redeeming feature is that one character i saw who if he was meant to be autistic it would have been a fairly decent portrayal. but i doubt the maker of this snore fest did it intentionally. and for my own preference I'd rather it was kept out of the game and long way away from me.

please spare me the backlash

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Hugh is a character from a comedy cartoon, he makes people laugh, and people remember him for making them laugh. He serves his purpose very well. Literally the only difference between Hugh and any other comedy character is what format people reminicise about him with.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
He said this on RTC:
I mean it's coming from a user who basically looks at something for 5 minutes, decides he doesn't like it, then moves on to the next thing. In all the time I've seen fogbadge on this site, I don't think I've ever seen him say anything positive about anything.

Guess I should've figured as much tho.

I don't even really give a damn about Star Trek either but I think the character design looks pretty cool and idk, it seems like the fanbase of Star Trek loves it, so I don't see why they shouldn't give it a shot. Plus the devs would've been growing up around the time of Next Generation, so I'm sure they're at least remotely familiar with the lore.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I know pretty much nothing about Star trek because I never really cared about Sci-fi stuff, but I think having a characters from it would be interesting. It's a pretty big franchise and there's a lot of cool characters, at least from their design. But I'm not sure if it's really a viable choice. First, the show wasn't even on Nickelodeon first, it was on Paramount+ before airing on Nickelodeon a few months later. Second, it seems that we won't get many characters from more recent shows. That being said, the show did get some good reviews from what I saw, and Star Trek is own by Viacom so maybe they could do something with it like Garfield.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
You can't honestly get mad at a comedy character getting into a game that is 3/4th comedy characters, and even that last fourth are characters still capable of being funny.
This isn't Smash where things need to be "represented" as part of a big celebration of the history of an entire entertainment medium. It's always been "wouldn't it be funny if these Nick characters beat each other up." I'm positive the "All Star" is just a fancy word for the title and not an actual descriptive term for the roster, or all we would have is main protagonist characters.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
You can't honestly get mad at a comedy character getting into a game that is 3/4th comedy characters, and even that last fourth are characters still capable of being funny.
This isn't Smash where things need to be "represented" as part of a big celebration of the history of an entire entertainment medium. It's always been "wouldn't it be funny if these Nick characters beat each other up." I'm positive the "All Star" is just a fancy word for the title and not an actual descriptive term for the roster, or all we would have is main protagonist characters.
You're missing the point. I would have the exact same problem if it was third-tier Danny Phantom character, or Avatar one. Nothing has to do with the fact he's a comedy character. The fact of the matter is that they took a show where there's a perfectly viable and interesting main protagonist with limitless moveset potential, and still chose to do a dumb meme pick instead. That's the problem. It'd be like repping TMNT without including any of the turtles and just picking Casey Jones.

Everyone else, like it or not, even the "weird ones" are still extremely recognizable to a mainstream audience.

Helga's the girl that says "Hey Arnold!" and is arguably just as important to the show's narrative as Arnold.
Nigel is still one of the titular "Wild Thornberrys."
Oblina isn't even a weird pick, she's one of the titular trifecta of characters from her show, they're all the main characters.
Powdered Toast Man may have been revealed first, but Ren & Stimpy are still there anyway.
Lucy is still one of the titular characters, and if you're gonna rep this series, not having at least one of the sisters is unfaithful to the premise.

I'll say it again - picking weird characters just because it's different doesn't make it good. It gets people talking, yeah, but does that translate to more sales? All signs say no. It's one thing if the main character isn't fit for combat - like Arnold - but Jimmy totally is, and he literally has infinite moveset potential.

If we had confirmation that Jimmy was coming, I wouldn't even have an issue with it. But just as I always thought having Zero over Mega Man in MvC3 was weird and stupid, I continue to think this is stupid.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You're missing the point. I would have the exact same problem if it was third-tier Danny Phantom character, or Avatar one. Nothing has to do with the fact he's a comedy character. The fact of the matter is that they took a show where there's a perfectly viable and interesting main protagonist with limitless moveset potential, and still chose to do a dumb meme pick instead. That's the problem. It'd be like repping TMNT without including any of the turtles and just picking Casey Jones.

Everyone else, like it or not, even the "weird ones" are still extremely recognizable to a mainstream audience.

Helga's the girl that says "Hey Arnold!" and is arguably just as important to the show's narrative as Arnold.
Nigel is still one of the titular "Wild Thornberrys."
Oblina isn't even a weird pick, she's one of the titular trifecta of characters from her show, they're all the main characters.
Powdered Toast Man may have been revealed first, but Ren & Stimpy are still there anyway.
Lucy is still one of the titular characters, and if you're gonna rep this series, not having at least one of the sisters is unfaithful to the premise.

I'll say it again - picking weird characters just because it's different doesn't make it good. It gets people talking, yeah, but does that translate to more sales? All signs say no. It's one thing if the main character isn't fit for combat - like Arnold - but Jimmy totally is, and he literally has infinite moveset potential.

If we had confirmation that Jimmy was coming, I wouldn't even have an issue with it. But just as I always thought having Zero over Mega Man in MvC3 was weird and stupid, I continue to think this is stupid.
I still think getting this crotchety over Hugh like Jimmy's not coming is just a teensy bit jumping to conclusions. We're almost certainly getting Jimmy anyway, and "meme trash" is hardly worth getting this upset about in any case.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I still think getting this crotchety over Hugh like Jimmy's not coming is just a teensy bit jumping to conclusions. We're almost certainly getting Jimmy anyway, and "meme trash" is hardly worth getting this upset about in any case.
You can not like it all you want, but I'm not gonna stop saying it.

That's not even mentioning the fact that Jimmy has always been more popular of a pick in the fanbase for this game than Hugh, whose votes are almost certainly all ironic. Jimmy was number two, just behind Jenny and above Rocko, so choosing someone other than him as the first rep for his series is just poor business sense.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
can't find it anymore but I do recall mentions of it not being up to Ludosity what the title ended up being in the official server

Top Bottom