• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
My only 'wants' are this point, since I'm pretty content with the base roster would be:

1.) Eugene (Hey Arnold) as the Pichu-esque style character
2.) Dag or Norb
3.) Rocko or Heffer
4.) Jenny Wakeman
5.) Any Jimmy Neutron character (Carl for the memes. OW! MY SCAPULA!)
6.) Fairly Odd Parents character (If my bias on big characters isn't obvious, Crimson Chin or Jorgan would be great)

Honorable mention to Kablam! character of some sort

amageish

Smash Master
Well, it's a start. In the end though no fan can actually do anything, since Ludosity will stick to who they want to see in there. If it's TLH, Jimmy, FOP, Rocko, some lesser known show from the 00s/10s or whatever else, they'll go for it.
Yeah, which is fine by me. There's a lot of characters I would love to see in the game, sure, but the game's currently really subsiding off of the clear passion of the developers that went into every character and every stage. I would much rather they follow their hearts and the characters/IPs they're passionate about then try to solely appease the wants of the self-contradictory amorphous blob that is the fandom.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't mind if people think Korra is bottom tier if that means she'll get buffed xD.

On wanted characters, I just want Jenny and Garlfield really. The rest will be nice to fill the roster with iconic characters too tho.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't mind if people think Korra is bottom tier if that means she'll get buffed xD.
Her hitboxes need fixing most of all.

I hope they do something about the awkward size and position. Much like I hope they understand that Henry & June and Action League Now don't have the same licensing issues as most of Kablam.

CastletonSnob

Smash Cadet
I don’t see NASB competing with Smash. Smash is more popular, and Nintendo characters are more well-known.
Mario alone is probably more well-known than any Nickelodeon character, with the possible exception of Spongebob.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mario alone is probably more well-known than any Nickelodeon character, with the possible exception of Spongebob.
What about the TMNT and Garfield?

I'm pretty sure Nick's back catalogue is a lot more recognisable than Nintendo's back catalogue too - the likes of Samus and Fox pale in popularity compared to Ren & Stimpy or Danny Phantom.

Either way, it's not worth comparing the two like this. They can coexist.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Her hitboxes need fixing most of all.

I hope they do something about the awkward size and position. Much like I hope they understand that Henry & June and Action League Now don't have the same licensing issues as most of Kablam.
Sure, they could tweak the boxes for sure. On certain characters or situations I even noticed that her strong dash attack didn't even connect. And on some characters I wasn't able to jab lock someone. There's definitely some work to be done there. Though I don't think it'll move her up tiers, there's bigger changes in general they could do, though I'm just curious how the devs will go about it.

I don’t see NASB competing with Smash. Smash is more popular, and Nintendo characters are more well-known.
It depends what you think of 'compete'. Compete doesn't mean win over or grab all their base. And as far as competitive fighters go, some players like how fast NASB is compared to smash ultimate.
Plus the biggest thing is that it has rollback netcode, unlike smash. That alone could make some people prefer to play it, if they play mostly online.

I say why not just play both :p

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the end of the day, it's apples and oranges. The only company that can remotely "compete" with Nintendo on the Smash front starts with a D and ends with a Y, and even then they don't want to do daring enough things with their brand image to do so with a platform fighter. Not that it prevents people from dreaming about wanting it.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
At the end of the day, it's apples and oranges. The only company that can remotely "compete" with Nintendo on the Smash front starts with a D and ends with a Y, and even then they don't want to do daring enough things with their brand image to do so with a platform fighter. Not that it prevents people from dreaming about wanting it.

Phineas and Ferb seem bored enough that something like this would make them jump back up and be ready do something today.

Also, Out of all the characters on here, The only one missing outside of the lesser known Disney XD Group is Cricket, and Scrooge McDuck, and Penn Zero, and Baymax, and Pickle & Pea-Dang, So many characters missing here good or bad, they are still noticed by a lot.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Who i want from Nick is mostly the same folk as others. Jimmy, Timmy, Jenny and so forth. I also kinda want a funny dad, i know we have Nigel but what the hell, give me hugh or Timmy's dad (it's funny to think he has no name that he will probably go by "Timmy's Dad" or "Mr. Turner)

I also wonder what kind of guest character is possible. I want Skipper myself but others like say Po or a Power Ranger could be interesting

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If we get a sequel, I'm almost certain the budget and creative freedom will get a major bump - there's enough confidence to do this rather big marketing push and the game has already hit multiple best-seller charts. Just look at Cosmic Shake - BFBB Rehydrated was a mega-hit, now Purple Lamp are allowed new voice acting; to create original concepts; and music from the shows! Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got guests (though who that guest would be is very likely to be a surprise)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we get a sequel, I'm almost certain the budget and creative freedom will get a major bump - there's enough confidence to do this rather big marketing push and the game has already hit multiple best-seller charts. Just look at Cosmic Shake - BFBB Rehydrated was a mega-hit, now Purple Lamp are allowed new voice acting; to create original concepts; and music from the shows! Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got guests (though who that guest would be is very likely to be a surprise)
Yeah, I get the impression that Ludosity wouldn't really prioritize any guests and stick to Nick's stable. There probably won't be quite enough marketing and sales dosh to take the risk, as it stands.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, I get the impression that Ludosity wouldn't really prioritize any guests and stick to Nick's stable. There probably won't be quite enough marketing and sales dosh to take the risk, as it stands.
Given the budget plus the game's title explicitly stating it's about Nickelodeon All-Stars, I'd hope this game would be more relaxed with guests than...a certain other one...

I would however be fine with the franchises Viacom doesn't own that appear in the Super Brawl games, as well as a Looney Tunes rep due to Nick's history of rerunning its shorts as well as Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given the budget plus the game's title explicitly stating it's about Nickelodeon All-Stars, I'd hope this game would be more relaxed with guests than...a certain other one...

I would however be fine with the franchises Viacom doesn't own that appear in the Super Brawl games, as well as a Looney Tunes rep due to Nick's history of rerunning its shorts as well as Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain.
For me, Mortal Kombat is the most finnicky about that. Doesn't help that Ed Boone openly doesn't care much for Deadly Alliance/Deception era Kombatants.

On a different note, I just learned that Nick got broadcasting rights for Rainbow Butterfly Unicorn Kitty's first season, so...that's a thing.

amageish

Smash Master
On a different note, I just learned that Nick got broadcasting rights for Rainbow Butterfly Unicorn Kitty's first season, so...that's a thing.
I had not heard of this show and googling it... Well, the character design certainly lives up to the title, if nothing else? Though I think I'd rather Winx Club if we're going to be getting an IP that is magic and rainbows dialed up to the max...

LimeTH

Smash Lord
For me, Mortal Kombat is the most finnicky about that. Doesn't help that Ed Boone openly doesn't care much for Deadly Alliance/Deception era Kombatants.
Honestly, the whole thing around third party/guest characters has gotten kind of exhausting. I'm perfectly okay with it being just Nick and Nick-adjacent characters. The furthest I feel they should go for a character they don't own is Doug for the history.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

I remember this show, some people scoffed this off as a rip-off of Unikitty(The Tv Show based on The Lego Movie)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Honestly, the whole thing around third party/guest characters has gotten kind of exhausting. I'm perfectly okay with it being just Nick and Nick-adjacent characters. The furthest I feel they should go for a character they don't own is Doug for the history.
True, That was one of the growing concerns i had with Smash is that it was pushing all of the Nintendo stuff in the back.

I don't want this to become a Cartoon All-Stars Fighting(Heck, Who even knows if one will ever exist!?) hence why it's called Nick All-Star Brawl, It can add guest characters here as long as people remember them fondly on Nick or even if they have a reason to be in, but don't push the nickelodeon stuff away from this like what happened back in Late 2000's/2010's

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Look I’m just saying, Battle for the Grid had a cross over with Ryu and Chun-Li. And considering that this game might be going through a very similar arc of “budget game getting super popular and improving over time” and alredy has airdashing, I think our guest character should be Sol Badguy from the Guilty Gea-

please don’t take this seriously at all, this is all in jest

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah okay I think we should agree to just drop the subject already.

Instead, let's all laugh at the fact that things changed so much ever since this crossover happened decades ago:

D180B653-ED1B-4DF6-8F4A-97E8306C3405.jpg

Garfield's been training for payback all this time!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As far as non-Nick stuff goes, I'm hoping the success of this game will convince Cartoon Network to give the platform fighter genre another shake. (Seriously, imagine Punch-Time Explosion, but good.) Maybe we could even get a dedicated "Nickelodeon VS. Cartoon Network" game in the future, though I'm not sure how willing those two would be to collaborate on something like that. Then again, I dunno who they'd really get for a CN platfighter who already has experience in the genre like Ludosity does. Aether Studios is pretty tied up with their own stuff right now, Rushdown Revolt's still in Alpha and we'll see how that goes for the guys behind that, but beyond that, who's left?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
As far as non-Nick stuff goes, I'm hoping the success of this game will convince Cartoon Network to give the platform fighter genre another shake. Maybe we could even get a dedicated "Nickelodeon VS. Cartoon Network" game in the future, though I'm not sure how willing those two would be to collaborate on something like that. Then again, I dunno who they'd really get for a CN platfighter who already has experience in the genre like Ludosity does. Aether Studios is pretty tied up with their own stuff right now, Rushdown Revolt's still in Alpha and we'll see how that goes for the guys behind that, but beyond that, who's left?
McLeod Gaming is making Fraymakers.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
McLeod Gaming is making Fraymakers.
True! God, a Cartoon Network platform fighter made by those guys would be SO sick. Granted, as far as I'm aware, those guys have no experience working with 3D models, since both that and SSF2 are sprite-based. Still, I'd love to see them give something like that a shot.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
As far as non-Nick stuff goes, I'm hoping the success of this game will convince Cartoon Network to give the platform fighter genre another shake. (Seriously, imagine Punch-Time Explosion, but good.) Maybe we could even get a dedicated "Nickelodeon VS. Cartoon Network" game in the future, though I'm not sure how willing those two would be to collaborate on something like that. Then again, I dunno who they'd really get for a CN platfighter who already has experience in the genre like Ludosity does. Aether Studios is pretty tied up with their own stuff right now, Rushdown Revolt's still in Alpha and we'll see how that goes for the guys behind that, but beyond that, who's left?
I've had about this exact thought. I'd love to see this inspire more crossover based platform fighters, but it's another matter of finding a developer who'll give as much of a **** about making them good like Ludosity has for this.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I saw some Loud House character discussion earlier, figured I'd give my thoughts.

I don't think a 3rd LH character works very well as DLC. Paid DLC characters need to be highly marketable and hypeable on their own. Loud House is a very popular show, so I can't reasonably say that it doesn't have those qualities, but the audience that would get excited skews younger, and the younger you are the less likely you are to have your own credit card and be able to make your own purchasing decisions. Not ideal from a business standpoint.

That said, I think that a 3rd Loud House character would be a very natural and appropriate choice for a hypothetical NASB2. I feel the best choice would be the comedy sister (Not well versed in the show lol). From an outsiders perspective she seems like one of the more popular ones, and a ventriloquist dummy and gag props are a very fertile ground for interesting move concepts.

amageish

Smash Master
I saw some Loud House character discussion earlier, figured I'd give my thoughts.

I don't think a 3rd LH character works very well as DLC. Paid DLC characters need to be highly marketable and hypeable on their own. Loud House is a very popular show, so I can't reasonably say that it doesn't have those qualities, but the audience that would get excited skews younger, and the younger you are the less likely you are to have your own credit card and be able to make your own purchasing decisions. Not ideal from a business standpoint.

That said, I think that a 3rd Loud House character would be a very natural and appropriate choice for a hypothetical NASB2. I feel the best choice would be the comedy sister (Not well versed in the show lol). From an outsiders perspective she seems like one of the more popular ones, and a ventriloquist dummy and gag props are a very fertile ground for interesting move concepts.
I think, were this game being made a couple generations ago, I would 100% have agreed with you. That said, some of the most profitable games in the world right now are profitable exclusively through selling cosmetics to an audience that skews younger. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'd be able to sell enough Loud packs to turn a profit, especially when a lot of DLC profits come from people buying passes (which, if we follow the Smash model, may be sold without people actually knowing their contents).

I don't think Nick has any reason to stop Ludosity from picking a character from one of the only modern shows that has met their ridiclous standard of being able to hold its own against SpongeBob. The question to me is if Ludosity would want to pitch a character in the first place, which is iffy to me.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I got the game on Xbox One and I can't get it to work online. Everyone I've played against has had a ping of over 1000 ms and now the game literally crashes when I try to get online. Are there server issues or something?
I remember someone mentioning there being online issues for XBOX. As far as I know it hasnt been solved yet.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice

Well this is the same Dev team that chose Lucy Loud, Oblina, Powder Toast Man, and Nigel over Raph, Donnie, Arnold, and the Rugrat babies for base game because they were opposed to having a roster full of "boring and predictable" characters. If they add another TLH character just because they want to and because they feel confident enough that they could make them a fun and interesting character then we should at least consider that possibility instead of recycling old Smash arguments like "no one asked for this character" or "this series doesn't deserve more representation". (Of course this depends on whether or not Nick is picking the DLC characters.)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Doesn't help that Ed Boone openly doesn't care much for Deadly Alliance/Deception era Kombatants.
His dislike for that era is kind of weird, considering modern MK still includes several features introduced in that era.

Of course this depends on whether or not Nick is picking the DLC characters.
AFAIK it's going to be a mix of Ludosity, GameMill, and Nickelodeon ideas again. I kind of wish Smash would've done this as well, I know Terry is seen as "proof" that Sakurai chose the DLC but SNK had been making several guest appearances when he was chosen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing I appreciate about this game is how Halloween-y it feels. Especially the stages, which include a graveyard, a ghost ship, a monster infested junkyard, an alien invasion, a dank sewer with mutants living in it, and what can only be described as the afterlife.
Yeah, it's no wonder why Nick insisted for it to release on October in this case.

Also, some of the music has a bit of a Wild West feel to it, due to the use of bass guitar and whistling. Which just makes me want El Tigre more.

Honestly my top 3 are Jenny, a Glitch Techs rep with Miko as a preference but I wouldn't mind Five or Mitch and Angelica Pickles.

Sidenote they wouldn't do it but I want Castle Stein as the hypothetical Glitch Techs stage because hey, if you make a loveletter for CastleVania then you get my respect
As it is, Lucy's stage theme basically turns into a Castlevania track midway through. I wouldn't doubt the possibility.

His dislike for that era is kind of weird, considering modern MK still includes several features introduced in that era.

AFAIK it's going to be a mix of Ludosity, GameMill, and Nickelodeon ideas again. I kind of wish Smash would've done this as well, I know Terry is seen as "proof" that Sakurai chose the DLC but SNK had been making several guest appearances when he was chosen.
I do feel like some of the bigger names are at least out of the way for this time, especially seeing as including Tekken was one of 4's lingering goals, so that might give more leeway in the future.

Also, everyone hates Hsu Hao, so it's no skin off anyone's nose if he just gets humiliated via cameos in the modern era.

Well this is the same Dev team that chose Lucy Loud, Oblina, Powder Toast Man, and Nigel over Raph, Donnie, Arnold, and the Rugrat babies for base game because they were opposed to having a roster full of "boring and predictable" characters. If they add another TLH character just because they want to and because they feel confident enough that they could make them a fun and interesting character then we should at least consider that possibility instead of recycling old Smash arguments like "no one asked for this character" or "this series doesn't deserve more representation". (Of course this depends on whether or not Nick is picking the DLC characters.)
Plus, the irony of Don and Raph getting in as DLC would be funny since the '87 Turtles were called "sellouts" by the Mirage version of Raph in Turtles Forever.

That said, Rep did state on Discord that the DLC selection process would still be on Ludosity and Game Mill's end, with Nick needing to approve. Sak's situation, but in reverse.

I think, were this game being made a couple generations ago, I would 100% have agreed with you. That said, some of the most profitable games in the world right now are profitable exclusively through selling cosmetics to an audience that skews younger. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'd be able to sell enough Loud packs to turn a profit, especially when a lot of DLC profits come from people buying passes (which, if we follow the Smash model, may be sold without people actually knowing their contents).

I don't think Nick has any reason to stop Ludosity from picking a character from one of the only modern shows that has met their ridiclous standard of being able to hold its own against SpongeBob. The question to me is if Ludosity would want to pitch a character in the first place, which is iffy to me.
Nick has some people that seem to be out of touch, so it doesn't surprise me. Going outside of their comfort zone very much doesn't seem to be a priority, seeing as they inexplicably let Clyde in for three Nick games in a row, let alone persuading them to use '87 Turtles content.

That being said, it still beats TMNT Smash-Up, which not only had a small roster by modern fighting game standards but also inexplicably had a single character and stage unlockable via a code. Compared to that, this is heaven (especially if we get a full deck of Turtles plus Shredder's mutant goons later).

I wouldn't care if they stuffed half of the roster with OK KO characters (I'd welcome it, as a matter of fact), I need this, seriously. The last CN game Game Mill published was a lame beat 'em up that only used a handful of CN properties.

Last edited:
Top Bottom