• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Fanboy and Chum-Chum is a show I disliked when it was first airing but now I've developed a bit of a distant respect for.

Like, there's definitely cartoons I liked when I was a kid that I would think are cringe now. It's fine. A little cringe builds character.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I really don't get the "new shows!!" hype, but Fanboy & Chum Chum makes perfect sense to include, may even be the most logical pick of the non-legal hell shows not yet in (excluding CatDog and ARM) - Even if we're to pretend that 1. FBCC's fandom is entirely "ironic", or 2. that "ironic fandom" isn't a "true" form of fandom (both are untrue), it's still a memorable show that's remained on people's lips for nearly a decade after its cancellation, and one of the defining shows of Nick's 2010s era for better or worse - and that's not even getting into the potential moveset(s), given the whole show is influenced by retro gaming.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

For those wanting to get the game at a lower price, here you go!

Here is also a Boundary-Breakish video on NASB2 too!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

For those wanting to get the game at a lower price, here you go!
Despite me claiming a $50 game shouldn't be that much of a problem in a time where $70 is becoming a normal game price, I've actually been waiting for this since I need to spend as little as possible right now.
1700252450599.png

...anyway, why is this game download only on Switch if this isn't even half the filesize Switch carts can hold? It's even smaller than NASB1 for that matter!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So apparently Udate 1.2 is available everywhere except on the Switch. Can anyone please translate what this message means?

1700255725311.png

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So apparently Udate 1.2 is available everywhere except on the Switch. Can anyone please translate what this message means?

View attachment 380760
Apparently Nintendo takes longer to approve stuff, so synced updates on all three systems is hard to do.

They managed to get it settled in time for Garfield to launch during the first game, but it was hard waiting for fixes everyone else got before then.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Thoughts on this dlc pack?
Unironically I think this would be much better than what we actually got as dlc. I'm just not sure if FanBoy and ChumChum should really be a duo.

Why add Fanboy and Chum Chum when Iori is right there???View attachment 380750
I'm ususally not a huge fan of a non-protagonist getting in first, but Kyle would be actually awesome. I think design wise alone he's much cooler than FB and CC even as someone who really like the characters, and he has a lot of moveset potential with his magic.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Have you considered that maybe people might... like those shows and would like to see them represented alongside other iconic Nickelodeon cartoons?

I mean, Barnyard is pretty terrible but I like it in a nostalgic way, and Glitch Techs has some really cool characters designs and ideas.
I never said anything about any specific shows, simply that I'd prefer to dig back into the shows already in and don't understand why the abstract concept of new show rep over existing show rep is so popular, not any specific shows or characters.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I never said anything about any specific shows, simply that I'd prefer to dig back into the shows already in and don't understand why the abstract concept of new show rep over existing show rep is so popular, not any specific shows or characters.
Same with me. There's still a lot of holes that need to be filled in regards to how some shows are represented. Bringing back some of the missing characters from the first game would fix it somewhat, but they might need to add some newcomers as well.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Same with me. There's still a lot of holes that need to be filled in regards to how some shows are represented. Bringing back some of the missing characters from the first game would fix it somewhat, but they might need to add some newcomers as well.
I don't really care about "filling holes", I just want fun(ny) side characters.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Didn't you once say that we didn't need more Jimmy Neutron reps because we had Hugh?

Personally I'd rather have more shows repped once we've got a face or two for one - yeah, characters like Vexus, Manny's family, etc. COULD work but they aren't needed because we have the characters people want from those shows, it's okay to move on to new pastures. SpongeBob, TMNT, and Avatar are filled with iconic and beloved characters, it makes total sense for them to have as many characters as they do. Most other shows have one, maybe two standouts if lucky.

Basically every show on the lineup has most of the needed characters already. But then again, you're the guy who thinks that Smash is worse off for celebrating more of gaming history, so I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Didn't you once say that we didn't need more Jimmy Neutron reps because we had Hugh?

Personally I'd rather have more shows repped once we've got a face or two for one - yeah, characters like Vexus, Manny's family, etc. COULD work but they aren't needed because we have the characters people want from those shows, it's okay to move on to new pastures. SpongeBob, TMNT, and Avatar are filled with iconic and beloved characters, it makes total sense for them to have as many characters as they do. Most other shows have one, maybe two standouts if lucky.

Basically every show on the lineup has most of the needed characters already. But then again, you're the guy who thinks that Smash is worse off for celebrating more of gaming history, so I'm not surprised.
Some of them don't. Rugrats is very poorly represented, not having anything beyond Reptar, TLH lost Lincoln while not gaining anything in return, and Hey Arnold's representation is whack.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I said that once about Arnold (him specifically, not his entire show) when Gertie was leaked, but I do not remember saying that about Hugh, and if I did it was ages ago and I was probably not thinking straight due to the obnoxious nature of Immy-posting.

Basically every show on the lineup has most of the needed characters already. But then again, you're the guy who thinks that Smash is worse off for celebrating more of gaming history, so I'm not surprised
I don't want the "needed" characters, in fact I'd argue that there are NO needed characters in NASB except... I dunno, SpongeBob, Garfield, and maybe Aang. Certainly a lot of needed shows, but it's quite malleable who should represent them considering ensomble casts, duo/odd couple shows, so on - also, have you met me? Whenever I talk about Smash's roster, it's always about its failings as a COGH - no Atari, no Sony, no true Xbox, no European microcomputers, so on.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I said that once about Arnold (him specifically, not his entire show) when Gertie was leaked, but I do not remember saying that about Hugh, and if I did it was ages ago and I was probably not thinking straight due to the obnoxious nature of Immy-posting.

I don't want the "needed" characters, in fact I'd argue that there are NO needed characters in NASB except... I dunno, SpongeBob, Garfield, and maybe Aang. Certainly a lot of needed shows, but it's quite malleable who should represent them considering ensomble casts, duo/odd couple shows, so on - also, have you met me? Whenever I talk about Smash's roster, it's always about its failings as a COGH - no Atari, no Sony, no true Xbox, no European microcomputees, so on.
yes because you misunderstood what sakurai said was that smash had become a celebration of gaming not the he meant it to be

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I just think new shows usually means a more visually diverse roster, which is something I like in a fighting games (not just un crossover fighting games). I think that having a bipedal cow, a futuristic looking girl and a boy with a snake would bring more variety than say, another Loud sisters. Not that every Loud sisters are similar, of course Luan would be heavily different from Lucy, but I think there's a lot of merits in a more diverse roster. Also a character from a new show could bring a new stage with his own art style and style of music.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I don't want the "needed" characters, in fact I'd argue that there are NO needed characters in NASB except... I dunno, SpongeBob, Garfield, and maybe Aang. Certainly a lot of needed shows, but it's quite malleable who should represent them - also, have you met me? Whenever I talk about Smash's roster, it's always about its failings as a COGH - no Atari, no Sony, no true Xbox, no European microcomputees, so on.
Why would Nintendo ever promote their most direct competitor? That's why you're never getting a Sony character. And Atari characters barely can be considered characters, much less have enough to create a moveset on.

Garfield is also definitely not needed in NASB lmao, he's never even had an inhouse show on the network. Just because they own him doesn't mean he's a part of the company's history.

You are the odd man out here. When someone says "Nick All-Stars" their mind will shoot to certain characters and shows immediately - SpongeBob, Danny Phantom, Aang, Jimmy, Timmy for 2000s kids, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko, Arnold, etc. for 90s kids.

It's debatable that some shows can be better repped by side characters - Nigel's the most memorable Wild Thornberry, the most interesting part of the Loud House is how the siblings' personalities clash to create stories so picking a stronger personality than the generic little boy makes sense, and Arnold's moveset potential is lacking - but there are 100% needed characters.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Personally I just think new shows usually means a more visually diverse roster, which is something I like in a fighting games (not just un crossover fighting games). I think that having a bipedal cow, a futuristic looking girl and a boy with a snake would bring more variety than say, another Loud sisters. Not that every Loud sisters are similar, of course Luan would be heavily different from Lucy, but I think there's a lot of merits in a more diverse roster. Also a character from a new show could bring a new stage with his own art style and style of music.
That's actually a fair argument! I may have had a hard time emphasising this, but I am not against new shows, I would love the likes of FBCC and Barnyard actually, and there is a special quality of sorts to seeing a new show in NASB for the first time, I'm simply more interested in digging deeper into the casts of old shows for more Gertie/Ember style picks and don't get why the lack of new shows is considered such a detriment to NASB 2's roster (specifically with how a lot of criticisms of the roster just kinda count the new/old ratio as a statistic) - even as someone who has soured a bit on NASB 2's roster from an inclusion perspective over time post-launch.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Why would Nintendo ever promote their most direct competitor? That's why you're never getting a Sony character. And Atari characters barely can be considered characters, much less have enough to create a moveset on.
So, Smash celebrating more of gaming history would be a good thing that my fictional complaining about was bad, but Nintendo celebrating their competitors' contributions to gaming history would also be a bad thing? I do not get the logic here. Gaming, as a medium, needs to outgrow console wars, especially for a project that's being marketed as a COGH, and that's part of why I want Sony stuff in Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but Nintendo celebrating their competitors' contributions to gaming history would also be a bad thing?
It SHOULD be to you if you hate hype culture so bad. Because, guess what, it got as bad as it did BECAUSE of all the third-parties that are barely relevant to Nintendo in the two fighters' passes.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So, Smash celebrating more of gaming history would be a good thing that my fictional complaining about was bad, but Nintendo celebrating their competitors' contributions to gaming history would also be a bad thing? I do not get the logic here. Gaming, as a medium, needs to outgrow console wars, especially for a project that's being marketed as a COGH, and that's part of why I want Sony stuff in Smash.
Absolutely gaming should outgrow it but that's not the world we live in so instead of saying that Smash is worse off out of a factor outside Sakurai and his team's control, maybe you could accept reality as it stands that your idea of how these games should be is never going to be a reality and that doesn't make them a worse experience for it. Smash will never put in characters from niche titles no one remembers or characters from their most direct competitor, and NASB will never rep something like Turtles without at least one because it'd be like shooting their own sales in the foot. Don't forget they looked at the reception of the first game's roster and chose who to keep based on that.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It SHOULD be to you if you hate hype culture so bad. Because, guess what, it got as bad as it did BECAUSE of all the third-parties that are barely relevant to Nintendo in the two fighters' passes.
My stance on Smash is that the marketing is the problem - fighter choices have played a role, but toxic Smash discourse dates back to when Brawl did the dojo reveals, and truly became nightmarish once the 8th gen games started doing trailers. The answer, IMO, isn't to do more low key characters (which, ironically enough, most COGH picks would themselves be - nobody's going to wake up their neighbors over the Sims), but to treat the picks themselves as lower stakes and less prestigeous, regardless of how prestigeous the actual behind the scenes process is. Maybe do shorter trailers with less or no CG, maybe just reveal characters through blog posts, maybe reveal everyone at once, but whatever it is, just have the attitude of "oh yeah, Kratos is here now."

Of course, they're not going to do that, but they're not going to take any solution to the hype toxicity problem whatsoever because Nintendo directly profits off of hype discourse. I do not consider "would corporate approve of this?" realism when talking about games, only "is this logistically possible?" realism.

NASB will never rep something like Turtles without at least one
I never said that a turtle isn't essential. I said there are no essential single characters except for Bob, Garf, and maybe Aang. "at least one turtle" and "Ren and/or Stimpy" would both count as a pool of multiple characters

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Although I'm not sure if TLH is ever getting another rep beyond Lucy. They're all far too generic, and for those that are interesting they are rendered completely redundant by another character we already have.
Lincoln isn't exactly generic. His moveset in NASB1 doesn't scratch the surface of what he can do.
Did you just double post so you could contradict yourself?!
Please don't start with this again. Just like Loud House, no one here is judging you for that. Stop trashing it to make yourself look cool then turning around and lamenting no one likes it so you can throw a pity party.

I'd argue that there are NO needed characters in NASB except... I dunno, SpongeBob, Garfield, and maybe Aang.
As much as I adore that he's here, yeah, Garfield isn't really essential, or at least won't be until Nick actually does something with him besides video game appearances and merchandise.

Spongebob and Aang, yeah, those two are definitely the no brainers. Then any sort of TMNT rep but you said "singular" so I guess that doesn't count.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Did you just double post so you could contradict yourself?!
Please don't start with this again. Just like Loud House, no one here is judging you for that. Stop trashing it to make yourself look cool then turning around and lamenting no one likes it so you can throw a pity party.

As much as I adore that he's here, yeah, Garfield isn't really essential, or at least won't be until Nick actually does something with him besides video game appearances and merchandise.

Spongebob and Aang, yeah, those two are definitely the no brainers. Then any sort of TMNT rep but you said "singular" so I guess that doesn't count.
No. That was an accident. I meant to completely overwrite the first post, but I ended up creating a new post instead.

Top Bottom