• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
It's sad that Patrick's super doesn't have Conch Street or shows SpongeBob flattened anymore like it did in his spotlight.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Yeah, although the difference between the regular version + Costume Pack price and the Ultimate Edition's price is only about $10. Still, that's $10 that you can spend on something else.
I think that's because the Season Pass is also included, and I'm thinking I'll hold off on that until the characters are actually about to come out. Next year.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
It's sad that Patrick's super doesn't have Conch Street or shows SpongeBob flattened anymore like it did in his spotlight.
I noticed that too. I guess since he can also do his super on campaign minions they didn't want to have to render a flattened model for nearly every enemy in the game. But still unfortunate, it was a cute detail.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i tried to purchase the game at gamestop but it's not sold physically.

It's because the physical versions are not available til december and somehow i didn't even know about it.

Sigh it's not just amazon then

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just beat the Campaign mode. Funnily enough, the only character I didn't unlock throughout the whole thing was Ember. Overall, that was alright, though I feel they could've done a little more with the premise. Naturally some sort of mind control was gonna be involved, but I feel at least the actual bad guys in the roster could've been on Vlad's side just to make things more interesting. Still, there's only so much I can criticize the story of a Nickelodeon game and the gameplay was fun enough, so I'll give it a pass. (Character-specific dialogue is a plus as well, even if the fighters themselves don't interact much.)

I've given around half the cast a fair shake, and my favorites right now are Zim, the Beavers, and Ren & Stimpy (the glowup isn't just visual; these guys feel so much better to play now, it's not even funny). Zim in particular feels like crack in my hands. Disjoints be damned, this guy freakin' MOVES, and you can cover so much space between him and GIR if you're able to keep your eye on two separate characters. Couldn't love what they did with him more, easy main for me.

Other than that, Gerald's pretty neat, though his Down Special is very finicky IMO. Gertie's moveset is surprisingly intuitive, even if she's an amalgamation of goofy ****. Jimmy's gonna take some time to get used to, but my motivation to play him is pretty low when Zim exists. I don't actually hate what they did to Garfield, even if I still probably prefer his NASB1 incarnation. Donnie and Raph have potential for sure, though they aren't quite my speed. I dig Squid's double jump cancels, but he's pretty slow and I'm not a fan of how nearly every single move of his is an overly specific reference. Plankton feels straight-up bad to me, like, "struggles to beat the bosses in singleplayer" bad. Maybe I'm just not playing him right, but most of the playerbase seems to agree he's a low-tier who can ruin your day. Sponge feels downright broken, expecting a nerf for him within the month. Patrick I have no comment on since I only played him in the Campaign.

I'm relieved to see the coverage for this game being mostly positive compared to the absolute hype train crash we saw last time. Hoping we can hang onto triple-digit playercounts for at least a few months.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I tried all the characters that interested me most today (still have others to try though).

Korra and Jenny are still my faves for me, they're very fun and interesting in this one. (with everything they can do)
I actually also really like Garfield quite a bit, and then El Tigre, Azula, Gertie, Lucy, Beavers, and Ember.

I don't know how they'll all stack up for me yet besides my faves but I'll see. I haven't tried the campaign and special modes yet but I'm taking it slow anyway, plus I get the most fun out trying characters out and to get a good feel of them.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Other than that, Gerald's pretty neat, though his Down Special is very finicky IMO.
It would honestly be improved with a simple change; don't auto use the item after selection. Hold the button down to select your object, show what object is available next to Gerald's portrait, and tap down special to use it. Boom, finnickyness gone.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, out of curiosity, have you guys discovered a character you don't enjoy fighting against?

For me, it's probably Reptar.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So, out of curiosity, have you guys discovered a character you don't enjoy fighting against?

Reptar in Arcade specifically is very obnoxious on the Kaiju Battle stage; because Reptar was designed with the intent of being a competitively viable heavyweight, he's genuinely a menace on harder difficulties.

Plankton on the other hand is kind of a joke in his giant form.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I haven't played online enough to form a solid opinion, but I have gotten my beans baked by two different Jenny players, so that's something.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Maybe I'm just not good enough to take advantage of him, but imo Goddard is way to slow and his attacks are too slow to be particularly useful when playing as Jimmy. The Purple Flurp rocket is also kinda finnicky? It's not quite following my full inputs.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Might be a hot take but after finally getting hands on with the game, I don’t like slime. When they said it’s not an optional mechanic I didn’t think they meant you can’t combo much without using it period

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Might be a hot take but after finally getting hands on with the game, I don’t like slime. When they said it’s not an optional mechanic I didn’t think they meant you can’t combo much without using it period
Seen lots of combos without it, but it definitely can be a way to do finishers too, which i think is good that it's not all the time.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

SpongeBob. Right now, he's the definition of an easymode character. Everything comes for free when playing as him and counterplay to some of his moves feels nigh nonexistent - I'm still not sure what you're supposed to do about EX Bubble Blow.

I actually went online for the first time today, and uhh... YIKES. This launch feels rougher than NASB1's in some areas. Quickplay's a no-go unless you only want to play with items on, and lobbies are a crapshoot as ever, leaving ranked as the one good option for finding games with randos. Sometimes it doesn't even work and the match just hangs on the victory or VS screen, forcing me to alt-F4 the game and [usually] lose rank. That's to say nothing of the myriad Zim-exclusive bugs (shoutout to the screen shaking uncontrollably after every time GIR dies), which are a real bummer since I'm grinding hard with Zim at the moment. Fun game, but I'll definitely give it another patch before I go online again. Least the netcode's good.
Kind of agree. I do like slime canceling a lot, and being able to bring back airdashing is pretty neat as well, but overall, the meter feels like it raises the skill floor a bit too much for what a platform fighter should be. I'm also firmly of the belief that this game would be better if it didn't have supers; they're annoying to get hit by due to how poorly paced they are, and they aren't even fun to land due to how bad the sound design is on most of them. I can get used to the rest of it, but I don't think I'll ever like how this game handles supers.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't particularly like the supers either xD. But the rest I do kinda like, even if I'm not good at it for now.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm also firmly of the belief that this game would be better if it didn't have supers; they're annoying to get hit by due to how poorly paced they are, and they aren't even fun to land due to how bad the sound design is on most of them. I can get used to the rest of it, but I don't think I'll ever like how this game handles supers.
What do you mean about the sound design? You can modify the volume of voices, sound effects, etc. to your liking

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
What do you mean about the sound design? You can modify the volume of voices, sound effects, etc. to your liking
I think Diglett is more so talking about the sound effects they chose to use rather then the volume of the sounds. (Or in some cases like the Angry Beavers Super, the lack of sounds.)

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Some of the sounds that trigger on attack are out of place. That was a pretty big issue in NASB 1 that was mostly resolved, but it can still be seen in this title. It's especially noticable with some of the super moves where the sounds are lackluster and don't really convey a big impact.

Also there's the issue of character voicelines having weird layering, where they talk over each other or cut off at awkward moments.

I don't particularly like the supers either xD. But the rest I do kinda like, even if I'm not good at it for now.
I feel that a good option to implement would be a no slime/super game mode, sort of like how you can toggle the final smash meter in Smash Ultimate.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Some of the hits in the supers just don't have sounds associated with them. It feels like they're unfinished.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Toggling slime would be stupid, its integral for this games identity and one of the few things that keeps Nick from just being diet Smash Bros.

the meter feels like it raises the skill floor a bit too much for what a platform fighter should be.
A plat fighter shouldn't really be one thing and one type of difficulty style, that's limiting and bland. Just like how fighting games have ludicrously harder titles than others, NASB 2 being full of depth and opportunity gives it more identity like how MVS does things Smash would never do, that's healthy for the genre to grow.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
A plat fighter shouldn't really be one thing and one type of difficulty style, that's limiting and bland. Just like how fighting games have ludicrously harder titles than others, NASB 2 being full of depth and opportunity gives it more identity like how MVS does things Smash would never do, that's healthy for the genre to grow.
Speaking personally, slime made this game feel intimidating to get into in a way other platfighters I've played aren't. Even now after getting acclimated to it, I still struggle to actually apply it in the middle of a match. I won't say it's an outright bad mechanic or that it shouldn't be here, but it does make the game feel a little bloated at first with all the ways you can spend meter (is anyone actually using it to avoid taking block damage?).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Some of the sounds that trigger on attack are out of place. That was a pretty big issue in NASB 1 that was mostly resolved, but it can still be seen in this title. It's especially noticable with some of the super moves where the sounds are lackluster and don't really convey a big impact.

Also there's the issue of character voicelines having weird layering, where they talk over each other or cut off at awkward moments.

I feel that a good option to implement would be a no slime/super game mode, sort of like how you can toggle the final smash meter in Smash Ultimate.
I'm for a no supers mode, and the rest.. I'm not sure butI like that even if someone isn't good they can still use the kind they find works for them, like using it to recover is pretty good for some characters, for up-b. I dont mind using it that way for now. Extending combos is a bit beyond me right now.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm for a no supers mode, and the rest.. I'm not sure butI like that even if someone isn't good they can still use the kind they find works for them, like using it to recover is pretty good for some characters, for up-b. I dont mind using it that way for now. Extending combos is a bit beyond me right now.
I don't really see the point of a no super mode, most people will not even use them past the first few days just to see them for fun. In other fighters like NRS games nobody uses the super (well before they made the super linked to your hp instead of the gauge starting with MK11).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't really see the point of a no super mode, most people will not even use them past the first few days just to see them for fun. In other fighters like NRS games nobody uses the super (well before they made the super linked to your hp instead of the gauge starting with MK11).
I've seen combos into them, so I do think someone can use them. I'm not sure how good they'll be compared to everything else people can already do, but I just .. don't like big strong finishers like them, though the same goes for nigel's 'rest'-clone. Probably good just to see where the meta will go.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I don’t have the game yet, are the supers mapped to their own button or do you have to use them if you have a full meter?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Supers are their own button combination (L+A on Gamecube, I'm sure it's similar for most controllers) that only works when you have three bars. So it's not like Smash where Final Smashes lock you out of using neutral special, for instance.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hopefully the performance fixes help with the framerate.

Also, it definitely looks like Reptar's getting nerfed, which I'm honestly okay with considering how much of a pain he is to fight.

Also also, quick question: when it mentions that Gertie's Side Special would now clamp its speed after hitting the opponent or slime cancelling, what does that mean? Does it mean that the speed just stops? If so, thank god because I've accidentally killed myself by hitting someone with her Side Special and in turn just zooming off the map.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I agree with Ze Diglett that slime does increase the barrier for entry though I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I do however think a slimeless mode would be cool with by say modifying the way attacks work and combo into each other, though that'd be a lot of work.

I personally haven't even figured out every way to use slime yet. How do I stop my momentum with 2 bars? Do I double tap it? What about amping up strong attacks, I've heard that's a thing but havent figured out how to do it

Tbh a slime tutorial would do a world of good.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I personally haven't even figured out every way to use slime yet. How do I stop my momentum with 2 bars? Do I double tap it? What about amping up strong attacks, I've heard that's a thing but havent figured out how to do it

Tbh a slime tutorial would do a world of good.
You press Slime and Block after being launched. Slime is touched upon in the "How to Play" tutorial, but it goes by in a flash and some mechanics like the burst aren't even demonstrated and are just shown to you in a textbox. You will not get it all the first time.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, I'm not entirely sure, but I think Wavedashing is still in the game, and I discovered this kind of by accident.

Is this news, or was it something only I missed?

FazDude

Smash Master
Haven't posted here since the game launched, but I'm really enjoying it so far! I might swap out Garfield for Rocko as my secondary.

So, I'm not entirely sure, but I think Wavedashing is still in the game, and I discovered this kind of by accident.

Is this news, or was it something only I missed?
I tried it - It's still there, but it doesn't feel as fluid as NASB1's wavedashing IMO.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I tried it - It's still there, but it doesn't feel as fluid as NASB1's wavedashing IMO.
Kind of crazy to think about given "You can wavedash as Spongebob!" was a selling point of NASB1

I can imagine them patching it to feel better at some point. It's bound to come up in the feedback eventually.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Kind of crazy to think about given "You can wavedash as Spongebob!" was a selling point of NASB1

I can imagine them patching it to feel better at some point. It's bound to come up in the feedback eventually.
So it's not just me being bad? Great.

Top Bottom