• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My thoughts on NASB 2 so far, subject to change (I only have an hour of playtime so far) and probably effected by Switch performance issues:

It's alright. Not a patch on the first game or even Slap City, but certainly not a Melee-to-Brawl (or even Melee-to-Ultimate) downgrade either. Feels a little clunky and lacks the expressiveness of the first NASB or satisfaction in hits of Slap. Do kinda wish they did a straight sequel or more updates instead.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
My thoughts on NASB 2 so far, subject to change (I only have an hour of playtime so far) and probably effected by Switch performance issues:

It's alright. Not a patch on the first game or even Slap City, but certainly not a Melee-to-Brawl (or even Melee-to-Ultimate) downgrade either. Feels a little clunky and lacks the expressiveness of the first NASB or satisfaction in hits of Slap. Do kinda wish they did a straight sequel or more updates instead.
Don't listen to this. I can't speak for the specific quality of the Switch version, but on the version I got (PS5) but it's an improvement over the first game in basically every way. This dude just loves jank and being a hipster who goes against the mainstream opinion, man! for some reason.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Playing it more, it is starting to click with me, KOs are pretty satisfying and I'm starting to understand slime better - but the Switch performance is awful and I do stand by it as being a downgrade from the first.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Something interesting I noticed when going to purchase and download the Ultimate Edition: it mentions the four character packs that are presumably the four DLC fighters shown, and it mentions a different estimated release date for all four: the first is January 31st, the second is April 30th, the third is July 31st, and the last one is Halloween 2024.

I just think it's interesting that we might have some tentative release windows for each DLC fighter.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
oh jesus, smashville-form jimmy's lab on switch is a nightmare. platform collision moves, the platform doesn't.

Reading into this more, I think all my grips are 100% Switch problems. Apparently it runs at 30FPS? God damn...

EDIT: video

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
oh jesus, smashville-form jimmy's lab on switch is a nightmare. platform collision moves, the platform doesn't.

Reading into this more, I think all my grips are 100% Switch problems. Apparently it runs at 30FPS? God damn...

EDIT: video
Out of curiosity, is this including the day-one patch?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, I guess as a quick PSA, especially for those playing the Switch version: make sure the Day-1 patch is downloaded and in effect before you start playing the game.

Speaking of the day one patch, I wanted to check that the update is for version 1.1.0.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was looking at the dlc on nintendo's site, and .. so I guess the extra costumes costs a lot, wtf. If it would be individually purchasable maybe it'd be ok but that's a lot to ask, and considering the season pass is a lot too and i dont know if characters will be individually purchsable, that means if someone wants them later then it costs a lot more together compared to getting the ultimate edition. freakin' greedy gimmicks.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Something interesting I noticed when going to purchase and download the Ultimate Edition: it mentions the four character packs that are presumably the four DLC fighters shown, and it mentions a different estimated release date for all four: the first is January 31st, the second is April 30th, the third is July 31st, and the last one is Halloween 2024.

I just think it's interesting that we might have some tentative release windows for each DLC fighter.
I think that the DLC characters will release much faster than that, as they are essentially fully completed by this point and I'm not expecting them to wait until Halloween next year to release them all.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hey, Wario Wario Wario, can you please confirm if the version of the game with the day one patch is version 1.1.0?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I have the day one patch, and it's a LOT better than before. I take back everything I said (except about it not being as good as NASB 1, I stand by that)
So the performance with the day one patch is significantly better? How would you describe it compared to how you described it before?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hey, Wario Wario Wario, can you please confirm if the version of the game with the day one patch is version 1.1.0?
Yes
So the performance with the day one patch is significantly better? How would you describe it compared to how you described it before?
The way the discord post described it. Very stable aside from rare frame drops, very long loads

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Ah the game is out today?

I’ll probably grab the Xbox version like I did last time… though I did get the first game on Switch for like 5 bucks literally days before 2 was announced.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Oh this is actually pretty okay for me lol. Most of the costumes I wanted are base game.

Rest in peace Frycook SpongeBob and Action Figure Jimmy though.
I’m on the fence since I wanted the Azula, Beavers, Garfield, Jenny and R&S costumes.

At least Mecha Reptar is base game. I was so ready for that to be Ultimate exclusive.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I have the day one patch, and it's a LOT better than before. I take back everything I said (except about it not being as good as NASB 1, I stand by that)
The game's been out for less than a day, and you already insist the first one was better?

It sounds to me like you had already made up your mind about preferring the first one before this one even came out.

So tell me, why do you prefer the first one, with it's uglier art style, lack of polish, rougher jank, and less competent gameplay mechanics?

Ever the contrarian...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i dunno why but the steam version ultimate bundle is more expensive than on switch. at least in canada

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
The game's been out for less than a day, and you already insist the first one was better?

It sounds to me like you had already made up your mind about preferring the first one before this one even came out.

So tell me, why do you prefer the first one, with it's uglier art style, lack of polish, rougher jank, and less competent gameplay mechanics?

Ever the contrarian...
with all respect , i definitely think both games are different enough to the point that preferring one over the other is more than justified. its distinctive and has an entirely different approach to gameplay , however you feel its executed

i don’t need to whiteknight wario x3 , and if im misrepresenting him he can say as much , but he’s been plenty optimistic abt this game so far - and his philosophies when it comes to game design are pretty cohesive if not consistent. i at least sympathize a fair bit of what he says. i can’t reconcile it as contrarianism at all

it just feels rlly dismissive of points that are at least acknowledging the game as it stands? i don’t understand why it’s being interpreted as a slight against the common voice , that much has been pretty common throughout this thread

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Game got a 9 from IGN
20231107_120630.png

I usually don't care about reviews, but this game NEED good word to mouth to be a succes. Glad it's getting the recognition it deserve.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Quick question: is there an option to customize button layout i.e. have Specials assigned to the B button, jumping with X, etc.?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm getting a rough hang of slime cancels - I've mostly been using heavies like Reptar and Plankton since their moves end more slow and serve as better training wheels for the mechanics.
I don't need to rationalize or justify my enjoyment for a video game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Obviously since they're Day Zero tier lists they're not very reliable in the slightest, but I do think it's funny that both Marss and HBox have like...literally completely different lists.

Pretty much the only commonalities are that SpongeBob and Gertie are top five while Plankton and Ren and Stimpy are ass and a half.

Marss and HBox's lists, respectively.
Screenshot_20231107-1239412.png
image-1.png

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
After playing a few games with SpongeBob, the game definitely feels floatier compared to the first one, though I don't know if that's because of the game itself or the Switch version.

And then there's also how the game doesn't run as smoothly as the first one. Is it possible that the devs would, in the future, be able to bump up the game's fps on Switch?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It works on my computer well! yay!
The load times are still slower than im sure they are for others but it seems to be quite ok.

I'm getting double input from my ps4 controller though, which I'm not sure how to fix. it reads as 2 controllers in-game

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Flaming
I'm getting a rough hang of slime cancels - I've mostly been using heavies like Reptar and Plankton since their moves end more slow and serve as better training wheels for the mechanics.

I don't need to rationalize or justify my enjoyment for a video game.
If you can't even explain why you enjoy it more than it only proves my point further that you had already made up your mind about preferring the first one over your insistence on "hype bad, niche good" mentality you've had about everything.

It's like you have some sort of need to ensure that stuff you think is underappreciated is appreciated, so you give way more credit to it to justify it.

The first game was fun. It was a good base to start from. But it's more than okay to admit you were wrong about the sequel than be stubbornly insistent that the first game is some masterpiece when it clearly had an abundance of fundamental flaws. I'm a defender of the first game - but I understand that it had flaws that needed to be addressed and never were. And I'm not so deluded into thinking it's better than Ultimate - or hell, any official Smash game, or even Rivals of Aether.

You're entitled to your opinion. But I also can clearly see that you're too stubborn to look at things through an objective lens. This game is an improvement on the first in basically every conceivable way except in subjective fields like roster selection, UI and music.

It'd be more fitting to say the first game has charm in it's unpolishedness than to say it's better. You needs to learn to look through things with an objective lens not whatever tinted glasses you has on.

It's okay to admit you were wrong about something. Maybe I'm being too hard on you, - and if so, I apologize - but I'm frankly sick of this kind of insistence in defending inanimate flawed objects or acting like your opinion is so much better than anyone else's because it's not mainstream, it's different ergo it must be good.

with all respect , i definitely think both games are different enough to the point that preferring one over the other is more than justified. its distinctive and has an entirely different approach to gameplay , however you feel its executed

i don’t need to whiteknight wario x3 , and if im misrepresenting him he can say as much , but he’s been plenty optimistic abt this game so far - and his philosophies when it comes to game design are pretty cohesive if not consistent. i at least sympathize a fair bit of what he says. i can’t reconcile it as contrarianism at all

it just feels rlly dismissive of points that are at least acknowledging the game as it stands? i don’t understand why it’s being interpreted as a slight against the common voice , that much has been pretty common throughout this thread
They're not THAT different that you can ignore the objective flaws of the first game. Yes, it has some cool mechanics - I'd love to have the strafing back specifically - but the game is still buggy as all hell and jank in all the worst ways. The movesets are uncreative and the aerial attacks have basically no difference from their grounded variants. The moveset design is infinitely more careful and loved in the sequel, as opposed to the first game where it was slapdash'd together.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Saying Chex Quest is the first thing that comes to your head when an FPS is mentioned, for example, is just plain weird.
If we're bringing up irrelevant Infinite non-drama from a year and a half ago, you said that PaRappa the Rapper has no historical impact.

Anyway, I am not going to argue to defend an opinion as inoffensive and inconsequential as "I like this game more than this other game that I also like". It's toddler behavior at best to try and "call out" someone over something as harmless as a gaming preference as if it's some kind of incriminating evidence. May as well bust out the wojaks while you're at it.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, do you guys think there's a chance a future update could improve the performance on the Switch version?

Because while it's certainly playable, I'd rather it not be stuck in 30fps limbo.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If we're bringing up irrelevant Infinite non-drama from a year and a half ago, you said that PaRappa the Rapper has no historical impact.

Anyway, I am not going to argue to defend an opinion as inoffensive and inconsequential as "I like this game more than this other game that I also like". It's toddler behavior at best to try and "call out" someone over something as harmless as a gaming preference as if it's some kind of incriminating evidence. May as well bust out the wojaks while you're at it.
I'll admit I was wrong when saying Parappa had no historical impact. It's not much it did have, but it had something.

The point, that you're missing, is that you've played this game for no more than five or six hours, max. You haven't had enough time to compare and contrast the two, yet you're already claiming one is better than the other, which means you went into the game with an implicit bias rather than judging it clean slate on it's own merits.

You went into it knowing you were gonna stick stubbornly to your opinion that the first game is better due to your mentality that positive critical acclaim = overrated. Just have the self-awareness to admit it, that's all I want from you.

As for why I'm so on your case about it, it's because I've seen this song and dance before, not just from you but plenty of other people and it frustrates me seeing people cling so stubbornly to their pre-conceived opinions like they're word of god. It's arrogant. It doesn't make you stupid, bad, or foolish to admit you were wrong about something. It's a sign of growth.

Contrary to what you may believe, I don't hate you, dude. We all got stuff we need to work on, but we can never grow if people aren't there to rib us from time to time.

I will not be responding from now on. I wish you the best.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm happy to report this game has a pretty good suite of graphics options on PC, more than the first game even.

I'm playing the game on a mid-range laptop so I was a little worried about performance, but it's actually really nice so far. Just in case anyone else was worried about that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, do you guys think there's a chance a future update could improve the performance on the Switch version?

Because while it's certainly playable, I'd rather it not be stuck in 30fps limbo.
well if it's just the frame rate should be fine

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I managed to get my controller to work ok by using the steam input option. Now I can properly play the game.

The graphics options are definitely good and I was able to change that a bit and now it runs fine with filled levels and beavers everywhere :D.
It's good so far. Though for some reason it feels like movement is a bit blurred and I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Top Bottom