• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If we really get a veteran's pass, I think our most likely bet is Helga/Lincoln/The Turtles/Hugh. These five have rigged models and assets in the game, and with Rocksteady in the game I don't think they'd risk angering people with 5 Turtles reps but no Leo/Mikey. I can also see them going for Sandy, since she's the last main Spongebob character missing from the game.

If we get Leo/Mikey as free updates it'll likely be Helga/Lincoln/Hugh/Sandy or Toph or CatDog.

Au contraire my friend I actually think Gertie is a great pick and I also don't think Arnold would be a good pick. My issue solely revolves around their issues with the Turtles, if I didn't explain that properly that's my bad.

My issue comes in the fact they knew that people didn't want Raph and Donnie alone. They wanted them alongside the other two.

They rectified my issues with Hugh, and I'd gladly take him with open arms here. But I do think the devs need to chill with the "skip the protagonist" thing if there's not a good legitimate reason to do so, and there really was no good reason to skip the turtles here. I don't like the trolling theyre pulling, as it comes off to me as vindictive to their fans.

Wacky picks are fine, I'm just not in support of them coming before the bases are covered with the big names. Bring them all on after you've finished off the big names. That's always been how I've seen the roster.
While I don't agree on the Gertie/Arnold thing I absolutely agree on the rest. The vindictive and almost smug attitude the devs sometimes come off as having is a real turn-off when it comes to a lot of these roster selections and the general vibes of the community (and a quick HAHA GOT YOU joke isn't worth sacrificing the goodwill of your audience for). Some wacky picks are good, but I absolutely think that the bases should be covered first before going all-out on weirdness (Powdered Toast Man is an excellent example of this, as he's an out there pick that felt good to have because the Ren & Stimpy bases were already covered). I feel like Rocksteady really put this into perspective for a lot of people. Its what makes losing characters like Lincoln and Helga sting so much more in that regard.

I would've been much more positive about Gertie if we had Arnold or we at least had Helga back.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't think I ever saw anyone specify - not imply, specify - that they wanted all 4 turtles and not just Raph and Donnie before the banner leak. Funnily enough, the one comment I can recall on that matter was from one of the game's devs on Twitter. Everyone else just said they wanted Raph and Donnie, that was it, and even then they weren't particularly popular to my memory.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we get Leo/Mikey as free updates
I was thinking the two bosses that feel the most fighter-ish would be the free updates, but I guess they could be easy to make too since they already have models in the game one way or the other. Whether it's Donatello's special or...just the 80s Turtles being recolors of one another. And only one of Raph and Don's alts involve a new model so there's that too I guess

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
She has a regular water projectile so it's possible that neutral special isn't the one that goes to the ground, maybe unless you angle it down. I'm only guessing based on what I saw though, not reports of how she plays.
And I still wonder which button is her metal whip
Its possible the water projectile might be different in the air, I'll look into it later, but the neutral special is the freeze. The metal whip is her down special.
I can confirm that my assertion is correct, her neutral special is different in the air; it's the water projectile you're referring to.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Zim looks even more complicated this time around, which is funny considering he was arguably the most complicated fighter last time. I dunno if I'll be able to play him since he has so much to keep track of. I do like that he has PM Solarbeam as his Up Strong. That's fun.
While I don't agree on the Gertie/Arnold thing I absolutely agree on the rest. The vindictive and almost smug attitude the devs sometimes come off as having is a real turn-off when it comes to a lot of these roster selections and the general vibes of the community (and a quick HAHA GOT YOU joke isn't worth sacrificing the goodwill of your audience for). Some wacky picks are good, but I absolutely think that the bases should be covered first before going all-out on weirdness (Powdered Toast Man is an excellent example of this, as he's an out there pick that felt good to have because the Ren & Stimpy bases were already covered). I feel like Rocksteady really put this into perspective for a lot of people. Its what makes losing characters like Lincoln and Helga sting so much more in that regard..
When have any of the devs acted in any way vindictive regarding the roster? This sounds like you projecting more than anything.
This is the definition of taking the devs' decisions personally when they clearly aren't. The devs weren't sitting around a table plotting how to piss off as many people as possible with their roster picks. They have their own way of doing things; it just doesn't happen to align with yours.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
When have any of the devs acted in any way vindictive regarding the roster? This sounds like you projecting more than anything.
This is the definition of taking the devs' decisions personally when they clearly aren't. The devs weren't sitting around a table plotting how to piss off as many people as possible with their roster picks. They have their own way of doing things; it just doesn't happen to align with yours.
I didn't say that they were literally acting that way, I just meant that they come off that way at times even if it isn't intentional (though at times Rep does feel like he's letting the fame get to his head).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While I don't agree on the Gertie/Arnold thing I absolutely agree on the rest. The vindictive and almost smug attitude the devs sometimes come off as having is a real turn-off when it comes to a lot of these roster selections and the general vibes of the community (and a quick HAHA GOT YOU joke isn't worth sacrificing the goodwill of your audience for). Some wacky picks are good, but I absolutely think that the bases should be covered first before going all-out on weirdness (Powdered Toast Man is an excellent example of this, as he's an out there pick that felt good to have because the Ren & Stimpy bases were already covered). I feel like Rocksteady really put this into perspective for a lot of people. Its what makes losing characters like Lincoln and Helga sting so much more in that regard.

I would've been much more positive about Gertie if we had Arnold or we at least had Helga back.
But that's the thing. Gertie wasn't meant to be a "Gotcha" pick. Hell, she's one of the few characters who have an actual, known reason for getting in.

"Hey, can you guys add Gertie?"
"Hell yeah, Nickelodeon, that sounds fun. Let's do it."

She was literally an offhand suggestion that the devs felt inspired by, and as such added her in. If you want to make a Smash comparison for the sake of it, it was basically like Yabuki suggesting that Sakurai add Min Min.

But to go even further...we also know that Helga was absolutely planned to return. In fact, she arguably has the most evidence of all the cut veterans not named Hugh or maybe Leo and Mikey. The website data told us as much. And given that she at least got a visual cameo on City Aquarium, she may have gotten as far as the modeling or maybe even the rigging stage before she was unfortunately dropped, likely due to time constraints.

Hell, that's why I genuinely think Helga is one of the most likely veterans to return in future DLC seasons. Because basically everything points to the Hey Arnold roster having been intended to be Helga, Gerald, and Gertie: two of the three main characters of the show, plus a fun side character pick who's one of the most ready to brawl of the ensemble cast.

Nothing about that situation feels vindictive at all, and I say that as someone who had Helga as one of my two mains from the first game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But that's the thing. Gertie wasn't meant to be a "Gotcha" pick. Hell, she's one of the few characters who have an actual, known reason for getting in.

She was literally an offhand suggestion that the devs felt inspired by, and as such added her in. If you want to make a Smash comparison for the sake of it, it was basically like Yabuki suggesting that Sakurai add Min Min.

But to go even further...we also know that Helga was absolutely planned to return. In fact, she arguably has the most evidence of all the cut veterans not named Hugh or maybe Leo and Mikey. The website data told us as much. And given that she at least got a visual cameo on City Aquarium, she may have gotten as far as the modeling or maybe even the rigging stage before she was unfortunately dropped, likely due to time constraints.

Hell, that's why I genuinely think Helga is one of the most likely veterans to return in future DLC seasons. Because basically everything points to the Hey Arnold roster having been intended to be Helga, Gerald, and Gertie: two of the three main characters of the show, plus a fun side character pick who's one of the most ready to brawl of the ensemble cast.

Nothing about that situation feels vindictive at all, and I say that as someone who had Helga as one of my two mains from the first game.
And I also think that another Hey Arnold stage (or maybe even two, if Helga was planned) got scrapped and those were planned to be Gerald and Helga's home stages. I also think that if they do bring Lincoln back I think that he will come with the Hey Arnold stage that was originally intended to be Gerald's. I myself think that the second DLC pack will consist of two returning veterans and two newcomers, with one of the newcomers coming from an already repped show and one coming from a completely brand new show that hasn't been repped yet, as well as these characters coming with stages unlike the first set of DLC characters.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

Either way, once the game releases they'll probably be able to be more open about the decisions that were made during development. I have a few gripes with Rep/Thaddeus, but I would love to hear his side of the story and the devs perspective on all of this. I think it'll bring everyone to a better understanding with each other, and hopefully reduce some of the negativity.

And yeah, Helga, Lincoln, Leo/Mikey, and Hugh are by far the most likely returning vets. Rigged models and loads of other things are already in-game, so they'd make for an easy veterans pass. And in Linc's case, there's no evidence of any other Louds under consideration, so if we get another rep its probably him.

PTM I'm on the fence on. He has a rigged model, but they gave his stage and a few moves of his to Ren and Stimpy themselves so I'm not sure.

Toph I'm also on the fence on, she's super popular, but with all of the Avatar reps we already have (and getting two as DLC) that they might want to add variety.

Sandy sadly has no evidence in-game, but her inclusion would fill a hole in the roster. I'm guessing her/Toph/CatDog were excluded due to their complex mechanics and the amount of time it takes to balance them 9especially with Sandy abusing engine exploits last game). CatDog and Oblina are sadly nowhere to be found.

Shredder's a boss, and a VERY fighter-like one at that. Could see him as a free update down the line, since they'd just need to slap a super and some alts onto him.

Also, I had a thought a few weeks ago. I was watching some old Hey Arnold episodes, and for some reason as a kid I always laughed at the absurdity of the Runaway Float episode. If we don't get Traffic Jam back, how would you feel about it as a stage? It fits that specific episode reference that some of you and the devs really like, while still filling the role of a general Hey Arnold city stage.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
No he's not.

He was the lowest-rated character people wanted to return having less then 90 votes, and he was clearly the most hated character in the first game.
Yes he is.

He has a model in the game. There's two TLH stages despite there only being one character. There's no evidence of any TLH newcomers. He's popular with kids.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yes he is.

He has a model in the game. There's two TLH stages despite there only being one character. There's no evidence of any TLH newcomers. He's popular with kids.
Explain why he was the most hated character in the first game then? Him having the lowest votes of less then 90?

Yet they're bringing him back? I'm confused. I thought those votes were based on who people wanted to see return?
He's popular with kids.
Can't that be described for the entire game itself given Nick's target audience are the kids?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can confirm that my assertion is correct, her neutral special is different in the air; it's the water projectile you're referring to.

I checked the gameplay video and it does seem to fit that. It's a little odd to me that it's a straight projectile in the air only, but in any case I still love her so I'll enjoy what she has :D. I kinda wonder what the slime versions change

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Then explain why he was the least-played character in the first game?
An overwhelming chunk of the game's target audience is 90's/2000's kids who don't like or don't care for 2010's Nick, along with the bad reputation the show has among internet users for a variety of reasons. Linc's the face of the franchise, and thus gets a LOT of undeserved hate. Alongside that, he and Leonardo got the short end of the stick moveset-wise, and thus they weren't played as often.

Also, look at the characters that got cut. It clearly had nothing to do with popularity, given that fan favorites like Toph, CatDog, Helga, and even HUGH were in there.

Lucy wasn't the most popular character either, but goths are super marketable to nerds so that gave her a boost (along with how much Rep seems to like DotTheFig, the #1 Lucy player). And even then, there isn't much overlap between Loud House fans and Lucy mains at all.

Linc has a super simple character design as well, he wouldn't need the same model glowup that someone like April would need. Furthermore, he's taken to performance magic and Bond-style secret agent-ry since the first game's development, so that alone (plus the movie) gives a ton of extra material to work with for a reworked moveset. He also has a stage already, and as much as I would love for The Loud House to come back, it'd require way less labor to bring him in that it would for someone like CatDog. There were no other Louds in the datamined announcer calls or in the Season pass DLC, so they clearly didn't plan on replacing him. To top it all off, his voice actor is a child who has an ongoing working relationship with Nickelodeon. Honestly, he, Helga, the other two turtles, and Hugh feel like they were gonna be playable but were cut due to time constraints.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman

I never bought that crappy reasoning tbh. Nickelodeon specifically asking for her with Gertie never crossing the minds of the meme brained team ever? Ehh. Especially when insiders claimed that the devs just had Gertie on a list and Nickelodeon accepted her specifically. I find that more believable than trying to blame Nick for everything.

Would be funny if that claim is true since it'd be another case ofthe developers being shockingly dishonest again (purposefully omitting Donatello's super was one of them lol).

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm reading too much into it but the implications of this statement are disturbing and make me extremely uncomfortable.
I'm not saying that her mains are into in that way or anything like that, but her character archetype happened to be a lucky coincidence for her.

Would be funny if that claim is true since it'd be another case ofthe developers being shockingly dishonest again (purposefully omitting Donatello's super was one of them lol).
Probably one of the reasons why they never acknowledged the cuts, as it'd be bad for prerelease marketing.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Aren't all the background NPC veterans just recycled models from NASB 1? Their animations certainly are at least. I don't see how "they have a model ready" is any more a factor for them than the other veterans?

Also, I don't get this flip-flopping between "Lincoln isn't marketable" and "Nick corporate was protecting Lincoln". Those are fundamentally incompatible narratives

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
All it takes is for one person to so much as mention Lincoln for someone to literally single out his name and derail the thread. I swear y'all just enjoy this or something.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The only metric that we have that "Lincoln was the least played character" was the Discord server, where for much of the pre-release he had the fewest mains out of anyone. We don't know if this is true still.
Aren't all the background NPC veterans just recycled models from NASB 1? Their animations certainly are at least. I don't see how "they have a model ready" is any more a factor for them than the other veterans?
Because that saves them work on having to create a fully new model. All they need to do is touch up the existing one and add a moveset and there you go.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
All it takes is for one person to so much as mention Lincoln for someone to literally single out his name and derail the thread. I swear y'all just enjoy this or something.
Abraham Lincoln was an American lawyer, politician, and statesman who served as the 16th president of the United States from 1861 until his assassination in 1865. Lincoln led the Union through the American Civil War to defend the nation as a constitutional union and succeeded in defeating the insurgent Confederacy, abolishing slavery, expanding the power of the federal government, and modernizing the U.S. economy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only metric that we have that "Lincoln was the least played character" was the Discord server, where for much of the pre-release he had the fewest mains out of anyone. We don't know if this is true still.
Wasn't there this image of character icons with a number of votes?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Wasn't there this image of character icons with a number of votes?
Yeah. The vote on which veteran the community wants to come back. Lincoln finished dead last, but I highly doubt the devs care about that.
I don’t think that’s what that was. If we’re thinking about the same image, it was discord flairs by main on NASBcord. Lincoln had the least, but was still somewhere in the mid-upper 90s.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don’t think that’s what that was. If we’re thinking about the same image, it was discord flairs by main on NASBcord. Lincoln had the least, but was still somewhere in the mid-upper 90s.
With the least votes out of the rest of the characters...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Abraham Lincoln was an American lawyer, politician, and statesman who served as the 16th president of the United States from 1861 until his assassination in 1865. Lincoln led the Union through the American Civil War to defend the nation as a constitutional union and succeeded in defeating the insurgent Confederacy, abolishing slavery, expanding the power of the federal government, and modernizing the U.S. economy.
Oh I remember this Lincoln guy, one of his famous quote is "Action speaks Loud than words" or something like that.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It wasn’t a poll it was just for Discord flairs.

I’m a little concerned about the amount of Lincoln doomers in this thread, my limit is just one. Can we please talk about something else?
I was being optimistic about him, though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom