• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'd like this post twice if I could. This whole "No [character], no buy" mentality is completely foreign to me and I'll never understand it.
Personally the roster is very important for a fighting game. For example, I barely played MK11 because the roster is awful and the few times I played it I genuinely had no idea who to play because nothing in the roster was interesting so I only played it a few hours before dropping it (well to be fair Mk11 mechaincs are boring too but that's beside the point).

If you're happy with the game then that's fine, I'm not asking people to boycott the game or anything. But different people enjoy different things in game. Like for some people bad graphics will be a no buy, while personally I don't mind. Some will hate game with bad story, some doesn't care.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If people are so picky that they wouldn't play a fun game because some characters they like got cut, seems like an overreaction to me.

Not that I don't understandt he frustration

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If people are so picky that they wouldn't play a fun game because some characters they like got cut, seems like an overreaction to me.

Not that I don't understandt he frustration
Money is money. If a product isn't worth it to someone, they shouldn't be expected to spend money.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I didn't play the original game, but out of the characters that seem to be cut...

It seems weird that the development team is consistently only using two Ninja Turtles instead of all four. I kind of get why (it might run the risk of becoming the Nick All Star Brawl version of Fire Emblem if they go with all four Turtles, April, and Shredder), but it seems like such a bizarre move to cut two of them and add the two who weren't in the last game.

I kind of get Shredder's exclusion for wanting to avoid overdoing it with TMNT characters, but when the game is focusing on villains, it seems odd to cut one of the few playable villains from the previous game.

I'm not sure who else is being cut, but the apparent absence of Toph and CatDog seems like a shame, and it's a pity that Hugh seems to be cut when he was one of the more entertaining characters and there seemed to be a decent-sized fan campaign to include him, which even involved his original voice actor.

That's six so far - I think the other five are Oblina, Helga, Lincoln Loud, Powdered Toast Man, and Sandy, though with Sandy, I could see them wanting to avoid overdoing it with Spongebob characters similarly to the Ninja Turtles. Not familiar with the series that Lincoln Loud and Oblina are from, though I get that Ah! Real Monsters has historical importance to Nickelodeon. Not sure why Powdered Toast Man would be cut (I've only ever seen a small amount of Ren & Stimpy), but I assume he's pretty minor within the context of Ren & Stimpy, which could make a difference.

Still, I might pick up the game regardless; it seems more polished than the original, and with the possible exception of Toph, none of these are deal-breakers to me. (though it's a shame if we don't get Super Shredder in any form; it feels like an obvious pick for Shredder's super move)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Money is money. If a product isn't worth it to someone, they shouldn't be expected to spend money.
I would think that's expected of whoever's making the decisions, that a small fanbase might be lost due to the cuts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
At the end of the day, all of this cut talk has me grateful with what we have for Smash Bros. Ultimate. Cuts are a part of most fighting games (whether it's due to time limitations, story reasons, wanting to keep the roster fresh, etc.), but I imagine it must be frustrating to be a fan of, say, Jun Kazama in Tekken 2 only for her to vanish from the series (outside of the Tag Tournament games) until Tekken 8, or to be a fan of Q or Makoto from Street Fighter III: Third Strike.

As a fan of Snake in Smash, I know how annoying it can be to have your main cut, especially if there aren't any characters in the next game that play similarly. Hopefully DLC fixes this somewhat; I can't imagine they'd have a whole season dedicated to veterans, but a 50/50 split seems possible. (Since from a fan perspective it would bring back popular picks from the last game, and from a development perspective it would presumably be easier to remake veterans than making brand new characters)

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
At the end of the day, all of this cut talk has me grateful with what we have for Smash Bros. Ultimate. Cuts are a part of most fighting games (whether it's due to time limitations, story reasons, wanting to keep the roster fresh, etc.), but I imagine it must be frustrating to be a fan of, say, Jun Kazama in Tekken 2 only for her to vanish from the series (outside of the Tag Tournament games) until Tekken 8, or to be a fan of Q or Makoto from Street Fighter III: Third Strike.
I understand how frustrating it can be to lose a main - check the postbit if you don't believe me - but that doesn't seem like a reason to not try a game to me. If anything, I see cuts as a chance to try new characters I didn't even know I liked. I know I'm losing my main in Rivals 2, but I'm still gonna check it out when it releases because Ori isn't the only character I like in Rivals of Aether. (I'm more worried about that game's mechanics than anything else, but I digress.) Even if I lost every single character I liked in NASB1, I'd still buy this game day 1 because my GOD some of these new characters look awesome.
Cuts are a healthy part of most fighting games and Ultimate has simply spoiled people in regard to gaming crossovers. There won't be an "Everyone Is Here" for this game because NASB is not Smash, no matter how much you want it to be.
I don't want to pay for bare minimum characters. Especially something as ludicrous as reselling Hugh Neutron at a higher price.
Now you're just making assumptions. We have literally no confirmation that they're going to be selling veterans as DLC. It very well could happen, but we don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So which character are most people upset to be possibly cut ?
If they’re all cut, Oblina stings the most because she has the worst odds of coming back

Every other character is either popular in their own right or come from a popular show, meanwhile any poll that includes the return of vets will get bogged down by crap like Ickis, Krumm, Ickis and Oblina duo, Ickis and Krumm duo, Oblina and Krumm duo, Real Monsters trio, etc. And that’s not even getting into issues like her moveset most likely involving shapeshifting which would be more intensive to implement and also entails making any alts she gets work with it too. Oh also the alts issue, she has enough for now but what if future entries have characters have more alts than 4?

Maybe they’re already planning her for DLC or something but her missing out on this game doesn’t bode well for her odds in future games either

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't want to pay for bare minimum characters. Especially something as ludicrous as reselling Hugh Neutron at a higher price.
It isn't bare minimum if they're fully redone. And it's most likely literally the only way any of these characters could make it in.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'd like this post twice if I could. This whole "No [character], no buy" mentality is completely foreign to me and I'll never understand it.
It's really not that hard to understand. I for example only bought Super Smash Bros Brawl (my first smash game) because of the Mario characters + Sonic. If it weren't for those, I would've never been such a big Smash fan like I am now. (And overtime I've grown some interest over some other Nintendo franchises like Kirby and Metroid.)

Same logic could be applied to NASB. Not everyone who buys NASB is gonna be full-on fans of Nickelodeon, but might only be interested in one or two of their shows. If their favorite shows (or characters) aren't in the game, then why should they buy it?

My friend for example only bought NASB1 because it had Danny Phantom and Jenny in it. He said that the game wasn't too great but still had fun playing as those 2 characters despite the game's flaws. (he also didn't buy the Rocko and Hugh DLC's cuz those didn't interest him) And even tho he tried out the other (free) fighters, they didn't interest him so much. He's also most likely getting NASB2 because both Danny and Jenny are back and Ember is a newcomer.

TL;DR: People skipping on a game just because their favorite characters aren't in the game isn't the rocket science you think it is.

So which character are most people upset to be possibly cut ?
CatDog and the 2 turtles.

Also Hugh a bit, mostly cuz we still wont be able to recreate the Shadow Realm meme, which would be pretty funny ngl.

The others I don't mind that much, even tho removing Helga and adding in Gerald and Gertie will always be a weird decision in my eyes.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
most likely involving shapeshifting which would be more intensive to implement and also entails making any alts she gets work with it too
I think how well they manage it with SpongeBob, another shapeshifter, is going to show if they could make it work with Oblina.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I know character are important in order for folks to click with the game. To give an example: Maximillian Dood liked Multiversus but he didn't play the game much because there wasn't a character that clicked with him.

So i guess people that really like Catdog or Helga or even Lincoln are bummed when they get cut for seemingly no reason. Especially when that same series has other characters in the game. It's weird for example, how Lucy got to stick around but no Lincoln yet.

I know that the game was remade from the ground up, reworked a lot of characters AND has a potentially big single player content. But maybe they should have prioritized some vets instead of new guys.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If they were keeping "secret characters" hidden from playtesters, all that'd leave is a set of characters who are ludicrously broken, both balance and stability-wise. There is no benefit from a development perspective.

Of course it's not deconfirmed, that's not a word, stage theory is as deconfirmed as it is wigglewopdopped. In all seriousness, yeah, a playtester would know this sorta stuff. Playtesters, by definition, work on the game behind the scenes, and have to check any unlockable/secret content to make sure that that very content isn't broken, just like the rest of the content.
You don't have to have "secret characters." All you have to do is have different playtesters have different handfuls of fighters to test.

Also, playtesters sign NDAs. I don't get why you aren't questioning the word of someone who is talking about it. Note all the other leaks; they're coming from people masking their identity; but Blackimar is in the Discord; he could easily be bs'ing. Plus, if he is who he says he is, he should be smart enough to NOT BREAK NDA.

I'm currently under an NDA about a different game. I won't say what it is or anything about it, but I meticulously read the terms of service and those are consequences I don't want to **** around with.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Man there is a lot of doom and gloom going on here about cut characters, huh?

Here's my two cents on the subject. I was fully expecting cuts from the very beginning. This sequel came 2 years after the original and 1 year after the last DLC character, Rocko, was added. I'm not exactly sure when development on the sequel started but even if it started directly after the first came out there's no way everyone would've been able to come back. Especially when you consider how many gameplay changes, character reworks and enhancements are in this one.

The only way every character could've come back is if they did one of those "Basically the same game but with more content" kind of sequels.

Now am I saying that people shouldn't be upset? Absolutely not! The consumer should always be allowed to vote with their wallet and criticize a product regardless of the reason. We might not all agree with said reasons but we're all spending hard earned bucks on a full price video game.

But yes, I am also disappointed by the fact there were cuts. I'm especially disappointed with how many that were cut if rumors and leaks are true. But for me the biggest disappointment would be CatDog, Oblina and Shredder. I'm fine with characters being cut even if I'd prefer there'd be none. But I'm less fine with entire universes being cut. It's like when the Ice Climbers and Snake were cut from Smash 4. It was more disappointing seeing an entire series go than just a character. As for Shredder, I won't lie he was my main in the first game lol. But considering that there's a new story mode and many villains being added like Plankton and Ember I'm more confused on his exclusion considering he's probably the most well known villain Nick has.

I'm still going to get the game as I want to support this new rise of Platform Fighters as I want the genre to be able to finally escape the "Smash clone" mentality. Like how traditional fighters were able to escape the "Street Fighter Clone" and "Mortal Kombat Clone" mentality.

I want the genre to be able to grow as a knights of the round table of options. Not just one series glued to a thrown as the others are seen as lesser peasants.

But those cuts, yeeaaaah that's an issue.

Maybe they'll have a free update system to bring back? Or the 3rd installment can be the "same game but with more content" sequels that focuses on bringing back the missing veterans.

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace
As another conversation topic I think could be interesting, what do y'all think your opinion of the roster would be if it was the first game, without the baggage of being a sequel or being compared to the cut characters?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The game looks great besides the possible cuts, the amount of options with each character plus there being no rock paper scissors stuff is what makes me most interested in seeing how people and the competitive scene will like it.

I'm a bit iffy on the slime mechanics, but I'll see how I feel about it when i play I guess.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As another conversation topic I think could be interesting, what do y'all think your opinion of the roster would be if it was the first game, without the baggage of being a sequel or being compared to the cut characters?
I think Sandy and CatDog would easily be among the most requested DLC characters. Both Helga and Arnold being passed over would raise eyebrows, and people would, of course, request the other two turtles.

Besides that I think the most requested characters that haven't been added yet would likely be about the same, but with Toph being in the mix alongside Zuko, like how things were prior to Toph being confirmed in NASB1.

Timmy discourse would be even more common due to it not being as common knowledge yet.

As for the roster in general, I think it'd be seen a bit like the first game was post-DLC: a mostly good selection from across Nick's lineup but with a few holes that could use patching up.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i'd probably find azula and odd choice. as for the rest of it i'd have to take everyone else word

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think CatDog would still be a big request. Oblina maybe not so much but I think there would be a niche fanbase that would want her or Ickis just to have more different franchise and Ahh real monsters is usually always represented in those Nick crossover.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It'd be kinda scummy, though I'd rather have to buy the veterans back than not have them in the game at all. Especially since characters like Lincoln or Oblina are absolutely screwed if they don't get their reworks now (say a hypothetical NASB3 decides to reuse a good chunk of 2's assets. If a character's already been made, might as well throw them in! If a character does NOT have a reusable reworked moveset/animations/model, then there's less incentive if the character's return isn't actively requested).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It'd be kinda scummy, though I'd rather have to buy the veterans back than not have them in the game at all. Especially since characters like Lincoln or Oblina are absolutely screwed if they don't get their reworks now (say a hypothetical NASB3 decides to reuse a good chunk of 2's assets. If a character's already been made, might as well throw them in! If a character does NOT have a reusable reworked moveset/animations/model, then there's less incentive if the character's return isn't actively requested).
And it's a good thing Lincoln might end up staying anyways.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It's really not that hard to understand. I for example only bought Super Smash Bros Brawl (my first smash game) because of the Mario characters + Sonic. If it weren't for those, I would've never been such a big Smash fan like I am now. (And overtime I've grown some interest over some other Nintendo franchises like Kirby and Metroid.)

Same logic could be applied to NASB. Not everyone who buys NASB is gonna be full-on fans of Nickelodeon, but might only be interested in one or two of their shows. If their favorite shows (or characters) aren't in the game, then why should they buy it?

My friend for example only bought NASB1 because it had Danny Phantom and Jenny in it. He said that the game wasn't too great but still had fun playing as those 2 characters despite the game's flaws. (he also didn't buy the Rocko and Hugh DLC's cuz those didn't interest him) And even tho he tried out the other (free) fighters, they didn't interest him so much. He's also most likely getting NASB2 because both Danny and Jenny are back and Ember is a newcomer.

TL;DR: People skipping on a game just because their favorite characters aren't in the game isn't the rocket science you think it is.
I remember when I first played Melee and only got into it because of the Pokemon. That was when I was 8. I've grown out of that mindset by now, and I assumed it was the same for most. I now value whether a game looks fun more than if it has characters or series I recognize, which is why I prefer games with original rosters to crossovers these days since they don't have to deal with all the baggage a crossover entails. (Not just legally and logistically, mind, but also in terms of people arguing on forums and social media about whether certain characters were or were not "deserving" of a "slot," which I've heard about enough of for the rest of my life between this game and Smash.)

You're talking to someone who, out of Nick's entire library, only really cares about SpongeBob, Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim, and kind of Barnyard. I'm not a fan of Nick as a brand by any means, and I KNOW what it's like to not have a favorite in a game. I, a jaded 2000's kid, still got into NASB1 at launch when it was basically "90's Nick & Friends." Hell, the closest I've gotten to a "most wanted" two games in is Garfield, who I only kind of wanted because I thought it'd be funny. Most of the series getting new characters in this game do not interest me at all, yet I'm not complaining because the game looks sick and I just don't care about roster choices that much. I suppose that makes me weird.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Avatar is so good though, you should watch it.
This might be the first constructive comment I've seen in the past 10 pages.
I've seen a few episodes of Avatar, and it looks good, though not my type of thing. I'm more into shows that are explicitly funny in the cartoonish sense or otherwise carry themselves on witty dialogue, which is why Chowder is my favorite cartoon and always will be. I might watch more Avatar one of these days, but motivation for me to sit down and watch stuff is fleeting these days. Video games have ruined my brain - huzzah!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I remember when I first played Melee and only got into it because of the Pokemon. That was when I was 8. I've grown out of it by now, and I assumed it was the same for most. I now value whether a game looks fun more than if it has characters or series I recognize, which is why I prefer games with original rosters to crossovers these days since they don't have to deal with all the baggage a crossover entails. (Not just legally and logistically, mind, but also in terms of people arguing on forums and social media about whether certain characters were or were not "deserving" of a "slot," which I've heard about enough of for the rest of my life between this game and Smash.)

You're talking to someone who, out of Nick's entire library, only really cares about SpongeBob, Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim, and kind of Barnyard. I'm not a fan of Nick as a brand by any means, and I KNOW what it's like to not have a favorite in a game. I, a jaded 2000's kid, still got into NASB1 at launch when it was basically "90's Nick & Friends." Hell, the closest I've gotten to a "most wanted" two games in is Garfield, who I only kind of wanted because I thought it'd be funny. Most of the series getting new characters in this game do not interest me at all, yet I'm not complaining because the game looks sick and I just don't care about roster choices that much. I suppose that makes me weird.
I think the only time I got a fighter strictly for gameplay purposes is Dragon Ball FighterZ. Pretty much everyone who was vaguely interested in MvC was moving to it, regardless of how attached to DBZ they were, and my TV was permanently stuck on Nick before 2005 so that obviously means the amount of time I've ever spent watching DBZ is limited.

And given that "my TV was permanently stuck on Nick before 2005" comment, you can guess that NASB is something I got for things irrelevant to gameplay.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
i’m rlly torn
nigel was my main in the previous installment - and conceptually i LOVE all the changes they gave him. vry true to the character
but he was also my main bc of the elements they’ve change? i loved his movement for being a heavyweight - and now that he’s lighter (+ the worm being removed) i don’t think i’ll necessarily be as fond of him this go-around

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I just don't care about roster choices that much.
That's perfectly valid, but at the same time it doesn't mean that its' the best choice they could've made. Yes, the game looks fun, but at the same time there's more to it than raw mechanics.

11 is just way too many, especially when its nearly half of the last game's roster. Granted, we don't know if everyone's gone.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gameplay is the most important to me, and that includes how a character plays, I'd be prepared to main a character from a series I don't know if I like how they play a lot, but I still need to like their design enough too, I'm quite visual. Extra points if it's a series and character I really like.

Avatar and Korra is my favorite Nick series so it lines up well for me, but I have a lot of nostalgia for some of the others too. I prefer playing gals so Sandy being missing would suck but so long as I have a couple characters I really like I'm fine, and I do in this case.

I know we all like different things though, too.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And it's a good thing Lincoln might end up staying anyways.
Yeah ya keep telling yerself that...

Praying that's the case tho for my Aussie bro's sake. Not because Lincoln is his favorite character but because that'll be the only reason I'll get the game so we can face each online (Daggett If he ain't a duo with Norbert vs. Lincoln).

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gameplay is the most important to me, and that includes how a character plays, I'd be prepared to main a character from a series I don't know if I like how they play a lot, but I still need to like their design enough too, I'm quite visual. Extra points if it's a series and character I really like.

Avatar and Korra is my favorite Nick series so it lines up well for me, but I have a lot of nostalgia for some of the others too. I prefer playing gals so Sandy being missing would suck but so long as I have a couple characters I really like I'm fine, and I do in this case.

I know we all like different things though, too.
To each their own. I generally main characters I like, unless the playstyle isn't fun at all (Aang).

Also why is everypne and their mother flip-flopping sides here?!

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Also why is everypne and their mother flip-flopping sides here?!
My theory is that the RileyXY1 RileyXY1 account is actually controlled by two people. One of them hates Lincoln Loud's guts and looks for every reason why he won't be in the game, while the other is the biggest Lincoln fan on Earth and will state every reason to the contrary. It's really a legendary battle we're witnessing here, and I'm curious who will come out on top.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Maybe a hot take but I prefer a majority of the newcomers to the presumed cut characters (I know they said there’s no “slots” I’m just making general comparisons)

Squidward > Sandy
Plankton > Shredder
Azula > Toph
El Tigre > PTM
Jimmy > Hugh
Gerald > Lincoln

I’m ok with Raph and Donnie, Beavers and Ember over Leo and Mikey, CatDog and Oblina I think, enough to not be bothered by it

Really the only choice I’m not certain on is losing Helga and gaining Gertie but I’ll probably be won over once we actually see her in action

In conclusion um this isn’t Smash and almost everything was rebuilt, 25 characters in 2ish years for such a small team is super impressive and some of the less favored veteran returns were no doubt chosen out of simplicity to transfer across games (April and Lucy come to mind)

I’m not saying you can only be happy or anything but dismissing the whole game because some characters didn’t come back is ridiculous
I agree

Top Bottom