• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Remember that they’re changing up the movesets. Jimmy has what’s effectively GIR but ZIM is still here (though we don’t know if he has GIR or not yet). If PTM is staying he could just not have the toast shine anymore or he could still have it.
I think this argument would be fair with pretty much any other character, but this is Powdered toast man we're talking about. He have 3 episode of content to make a moveset for, and the shine was arguably his most iconic moves. I don't see why they would remove it, and what would they even replace it?

I guess you could argue that 2 characters could have shine, but with the fact that he's probably the most obscure character to begin with and the splash art leak, I just don't see him coming back at this point personally.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think this argument would be fair with pretty much any other character, but this is Powdered toast man we're talking about. He have 3 episode of content to make a moveset for, and the shine was arguably his most iconic moves. I don't see why they would remove it, and what would they even replace it?

I guess you could argue that 2 characters could have shine, but with the fact that he's probably the most obscure character to begin with and the splash art leak, I just don't see him coming back at this point personally.
Yeah, having that level of moveset overlap in a roster this small that prides itself on each character being unique would be weird. A shine is a pretty distinctive tool for a character to have, and they made a big deal out of PTM having it last time. If it's on someone else and we haven't seen him yet, that probably just means he's gone.
I'm still not sold on the idea of them selling veterans as DLC, but if they do, I'd easily fork over a few bucks to get Powdered Toastman back. Even if I don't like playing as him much, he gave the first game a lot of that initial "not your grandpa's crossover" hype that made it catch on in the first place. I've already heard one of my friends say she won't buy if he's not in the game, which would be a real shame.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Cool! We get right into the meat of things with El Tigre:
  • "Glass-Cannon Rushdown" sounds like Tigre is gonna be steam-rolling if he can keep the pressure going, but may struggle in disadvantage if the opponent plays smart.
  • Hey, One of Tigre's alts has him wearing the Bronze Boots of Truth and the Golden Sombrero of Chaos!
  • And another one of El Tigre's alts gives him a moustache from the episode "The Moustache Kid"
  • At 0:34, We can also see another alternate costume for Squidward being a viking outfit.
  • I like El tigre's side special a lol. You can angle it, it doesn't go through shields, and it brings El Tigre towards his opponent rather than pulling his opponent closer, which fits perfectly for being a rushdown, and stays true to his character as that is how he utilizes his chain for his fights in the show.
  • At 1:20, we finally get a much better look at Reptar. Honestly, he's a lot shorter than I expected he would be.
  • It seems like Miracle City Volcano is yet another stage that will be getting multiple variants.
  • Of course the Ancient Tiger Spirit had to be Tigre's super. And it looks awesome.
Overall, I cannot wait for the El Tigre combo videos everyone's gonna create after the game comes out.
"a moustache"
Roul? Roul!! they gave him roul for an alt

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I'm definitely starting to think Powdered Toast Man was cut, sadly. The fact that El Tigre seems to be built around his shine when that was PTM's most unique aspect last time, alongside PTM already being arguably among the most at risk of getting cut, doesn't inspire much confidence.

Hell, if we want to even consider the NASB1 footage, he wasn't there either...

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say he was the best, but he was still a lot of fun to have around! If he really is cut, his absence will definitely be felt!

A toast to the Toast!
Powdered Toast Man wasn't my main, he wasn't my favorite character in the game, he's not my favorite Nick character, he's not even my favorite Ren and Stimpy character... but nah, I agree with Ze Diglett Ze Diglett , no character pick quite compared to PTM. An absolutely hysterical pick, so very "Nickelodeon", and the kind of WTF obscure character that made NASB1 feel so unlike every other crossover plat-fighter.

I don't want to keep ragging on Gertie until we see her in action, but compared to her, PTM is a bizarre secondary character pick done right. Heck, I'd even say that in comparison to Hugh.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I see a lot of people are starting to lose hope that the missing veterans are coming back.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't want to keep ragging on Gertie until we see her in action, but compared to her, PTM is a bizarre secondary character pick done right. Heck, I'd even say that in comparison to Hugh.
I think what make PTM stands out is that he come from a franchise that doesn't have a lot of choices to begin with for characters, yet the franchise is definitely popular enough to deserve 2 characters, so even if he's a weird pick in the grand scheme of thing you won't see a lot of "Mr. Horse should have got in first!!!", and that was a big problem with Hugh with people saying that Jimmy should have been first, and even for a second choice you could argue that Carl, Cindy or Sheen would make more sense.

Faso115

Smash Lord
jesus christ, all the unreleased fighting games have their entire rosters leaked. Most are pretty good but leaks ultimately cause people to complain abou the characters that aren't there. Even though we get really awesome characters in the game (like Jimmy or Tigre)

It happened to Tekken, to MK, hell to Street Fighter. NASB discussion is going to be a tough one until they show one of the missing veterans somehow.

And they have about a month and a half to do so

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Powdered Toast Man wasn't my main, he wasn't my favorite character in the game, he's not my favorite Nick character, he's not even my favorite Ren and Stimpy character... but nah, I agree with Ze Diglett Ze Diglett , no character pick quite compared to PTM. An absolutely hysterical pick, so very "Nickelodeon", and the kind of WTF obscure character that made NASB1 feel so unlike every other crossover plat-fighter.

What helps is that Ren and Stimpy doesn't have a lot of viable options, so he felt on a similar level to other secondary characters. Plus he was in Nicktoons MLB, so there was at least some precedent for him.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think the point of PTM in the first game, and probably why he was shown off so early, is because of that holy **** moment of “I get to play as Powdered Toast Man in a Smash clone” moreso than because he was the only viable option for a second R&S character. It being PTM feels very deliberate.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
jesus christ, all the unreleased fighting games have their entire rosters leaked. Most are pretty good but leaks ultimately cause people to complain abou the characters that aren't there. Even though we get really awesome characters in the game (like Jimmy or Tigre)

It happened to Tekken, to MK, hell to Street Fighter. NASB discussion is going to be a tough one until they show one of the missing veterans somehow.

And they have about a month and a half to do so
and smash bros too, with Brawl folks were upset that Mewtwo got removed, Wii U/3DS lost Lucas(for a time), The Ice Climbers, and Snake, Then Ultimate didn't give us the characters from the grinch leak(except Banjo & Kazooie :))

LimeTH

Smash Lord
What episode is viking Squidward from? I know there was an episode with him and Spongebob on a viking ship, but he never put on a viking costume to my knowledge.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Looks like it. Nice to see them actually remembering this show takes place underwater again and not just making it a random monster or an actual rabbit.
Didn't a modern episode just have an average cartoon cat interacting with everyone and breathing underwater without a helmet?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Didn't a modern episode just have an average cartoon cat interacting with everyone and breathing underwater without a helmet?
The cat's whole thing was that he was famous for "holding his breath for a really long time" but in reality he had an hidden oxygen tank and mask on his back to breathe in air. At the end of the episode he gets a helmet and is never seen again.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So looks like we have nothing today. Iirc the dev on Discord said that 6 showcase was awaiting Nick's approval last week, so there's either 2 or 3 that are most likely ready at that point (I'm not sure if El Tigre trailer was part of the 6 or if trailer were ready in advance). I assume next week we'll get Donnie and April at least, and maybe Rocko or Jenny if we get 3 showcase.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So looks like we have nothing today. Iirc the dev on Discord said that 6 showcase was awaiting Nick's approval last week, so there's either 2 or 3 that are most likely ready at that point (I'm not sure if El Tigre trailer was part of the 6 or if trailer were ready in advance). I assume next week we'll get Donnie and April at least, and maybe Rocko or Jenny if we get 3 showcase.
We might end up having to have post-launch showcases.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Not saying there's a pattern but I guess they just don't want to post these things on Fridays.

One thought is they want El Tigre to hold onto the spotlight, but then they could have moved the reveal trailer to Thursday and had his showcase today so we could ruminate on it over the weekend.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
For the record tafaar isn’t a dev lol, he’s a playtester/competitive player from NASB 1 who happened to be tasked with doing these character spotlights

Faso115

Smash Lord
Maybe they'll dedicate that time to polish some of the unrevealed vets.

I mean, i don't think 3 weeks is enough to remake a character from scratch but i don't think they ever disclosed how long it takes for them to make a character.

At the very least, the turtles are model swaps, they only have to model the weapons to create them. The moveset is a whole other thing though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Apparently the game is coming on November 3rd on all consoles except for the Switch, as the Switch version is instead being released on November 14th.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

darkvortex

Smash Lord
This was smart. Gives them more time to devlop and also gets them out of the way of Mario \ Sonic \ Spooder-Man

Top Bottom