• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Now the question remains, who’s it gonna be?

The Kevin dude saying the roster is “unpredictable at worst” has me crazy excited. I do want to see fan demanded characters, but the fun of crossovers like this is seeing the deep cuts and WTF picks. If any game is gonna deliver on that it’s going to be this one.
I think that it’s just gonna be for Lincoln.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Though it also unfortunately seems to confirm we are in fact getting character cuts
If Linc gets cut I'm gonna flip a table...

I think that it’s just gonna be for Lincoln.
It'll probably be for a new character, I don't see them cutting the main House stage, especially since it's so simple and doesn't need any visual updates,

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The wording mentioning how vast the selection of characters they could choose this time around, followed then by "we had to choose" just sounds to me like they couldn't get everything they wanted to do. But that said I won't be surprised with cuts, though with the stipulation of having a "bigger roster" than the first that means likely cuts will be limited if we have them.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Uh oh... Consider my optimism cautious-ed
Dude, how is giving each character a wholly unique playstyle ever a bad thing? Drop the contrarian stuff for once.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Dude, how is giving each character a wholly unique playstyle ever a bad thing? Drop the contrarian stuff for once.
What I'm worried about isn't that characters will be given new abilities, it's that they'll be made unrecognizable from their original gameplay style. I don't think this is likely - Patrick still seems to be a grappler, Nigel has more jumps so he's even more of an air fighter, and I haven't seen Aang doing any zoning - but it's still a cause for concern.

Plus a lot of the gameplay choices already have me a little worried. Slime cancelling sounds awesome, and I don't mind bairs and fairs, but tilt attacks and side specials? Certainly not. I'm also worried that the meters will be mandatory.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
when there's projectiles
what do you mean nasb lets you reflect/catch them

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
What I'm worried about isn't that characters will be given new abilities, it's that they'll be made unrecognizable from their original gameplay style.

Plus a lot of the gameplay choices already have me a little worried. Slime cancelling sounds awesome, and I don't mind bairs and fairs, but tilt attacks and side specials? Certainly not. I'm also worried that the meters will be mandatory.
Slime cancelling?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Slime cancelling?
It's a nickname given to a Roman Canceling-esque mechanic people spotted in the trailer.

Roman Canceling is a Guilty Gear mechanic where you can cancel the endlag of any move at the cost of 25% or 50% meter depending on the game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's a nickname given to a Roman Canceling-esque mechanic people spotted in the trailer.

Roman Canceling is a Guilty Gear mechanic where you can cancel the endlag of any move at the cost of 25% or 50% meter depending on the game.
Actually after the Polygon interview, that's the official name!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They mention Zim's super in the interview, and you are not prepared for the madness that this will unleash!

(glad to see Minimoose involved - I find it funny that, due to behind-the-scenes shenanigans with Nickelodeon, the only time that he appeared in the original series was during the Christmas special with zero explanation beyond "that's Minimoose! He's been here the whole time.")

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
What I'm worried about isn't that characters will be given new abilities, it's that they'll be made unrecognizable from their original gameplay style. I don't think this is likely - Patrick still seems to be a grappler, Nigel has more jumps so he's even more of an air fighter, and I haven't seen Aang doing any zoning - but it's still a cause for concern.

Patrick wasn’t a grappler to begin with after the last update, his command grabs got bugged and he couldn’t grab blocking opponents with them anymore

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Patrick wasn’t a grappler to begin with after the last update, his command grabs got bugged and he couldn’t grab blocking opponents with them anymore
I am aware - IIRC, he wasn't really a grappler even from day one - I'm moreso saying that Patrick still having grab specials - and seemingly having a new grab special - means they're still trying to make the character with the same mentality and general playstyle as he had in the first game.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
He shows up in the NASB1 portion at the beginning, I wouldn’t worry about it
True, and he appears in a clip in that section featuring a visually updated Wild Waterfall (Convee windows are clear now, the metal is reflective, steam from the waterfall, more detailed textures on the rocks), though I have no idea why it was in the NASB1 section.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd bet the remaining 2% are the DLC veterans, but that'd probably be more than 2% of the work on NASB1 wouldn't it?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Dude. We get it. You like it back when Smash was simpler. But even Melee had tilts and side specials, it's not some cancer on society like you're making it out to be. Chill. The hell. Out.

Adding more attacks and making them more then just "character swings X object from their show in indicated direction" is nothing but a net positive, especially if they make attacks feel different from each other. One of the worst problems with the first game is that basically every strong or light attack had the same weight to it. They need to do this to differentiate the characters and make them feel better to play.

On top of that, everyone in the first game basically had the same gameplay style with only minor variation. It was rushdown with light attacks, finish with a heavy, and the most effective moves were whichever came out fastest. The fact I can zero to death people with PTM is a problem.

Youve got to get over this nostalgia focused, popular game equals bad mindset. It's getting real ****ing old.

You complain about literally everything if it's getting positive traction, and you insist that if the game isn't made exactly the way you want it that the devs are doing it wrong, and you can't even express happiness at the things you wanted they did add, like the campaign. Just stop.

It's Day 1. Be happy you're getting a sequel at all. You havent even gotten the chance to play, so your concerns have no basis.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I actually wonder if Jimmy, Squidward and the 2 Turtles (and Vlad if he's playable) are the only newcomers were getting before dlc. First, making everything for scratch must have took a lot of times, and sure the budget seems to be way bigger but assuming the game's development started after Rocko's release, they didn't get that much time to make the sequel, and they did a lot of moveset overhaul too. And second, you would think that if there was more newcomer in the base game, there would be more on the box art. Maybe we'll get 2 more newcomers, but I wouldn't expect more than that really.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think that's fair, then again I wonder what was the point of doing dlc at all if they knew a bigger sequel was coming. Having Rocko and Hugh alongside Jimmy and Squidward would have been huge. I mean, Squidward and Jimmy are huge on their own but still, it's kind of weird if they knew thatt hey would remade everything from scratch right after.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I actually wonder if Jimmy, Squidward and the 2 Turtles (and Vlad if he's playable) are the only newcomers were getting before dlc. First, making everything for scratch must have took a lot of times, and sure the budget seems to be way bigger but assuming the game's development started after Rocko's release, they didn't get that much time to make the sequel, and they did a lot of moveset overhaul too. And second, you would think that if there was more newcomer in the base game, there would be more on the box art. Maybe we'll get 2 more newcomers, but I wouldn't expect more than that really.
Agree with what Oppossum and Nelson said above but think about this as well, the DLC fighters for the first game were also much more polished, so less work had to be done on them; hell, it's possible they were developed early on solely for the sequel, but then Nick gave them the greenlight for DLC and they back-ported them into the first game. Presumably all the graphical polish here is done late in development, which could be a reason as to why quite a few characters aren't ready to be shown.

Now that I've thought about it though I will say that them specifically not answering the "is everyone coming back" question does raise a small red flag, but it doesn't necessarily mean no. They could just be encouraging speculation, since it generates buzz for the game.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, a few things:

1. I really don't see the issue with adding side tilts and specials; what's' the big deal?

2. We're getting dodges. THANK GOD!

3. Regarding characters getting cut, honestly it seemed like the dev didn't really answer that part of the question; most of the vague stuff he was talking about seemed to refer to new characters before talking about surprises, and he didn't indicate at all whether there'd be any cuts from the first game, so I'd recommend just waiting and seeing for now. That said, if Powdered Toast Man, Oblina, and Hugh get cut, I'm going to be disappointed.

4. The way he talks about the single-player campaign sounds pretty promising, especially when he mentions specific dialogue for characters.

5. I have no idea what Roman Canceling is; I have no traditional fighting game experience on this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, a few things:

1. I really don't see the issue with adding side tilts and specials; what's' the big deal?

2. We're getting dodges. THANK GOD!

3. Regarding characters getting cut, honestly it seemed like the dev didn't really answer that part of the question; most of the vague stuff he was talking about seemed to refer to new characters before talking about surprises, and he didn't indicate at all whether there'd be any cuts from the first game, so I'd recommend just waiting and seeing for now. That said, if Powdered Toast Man, Oblina, and Hugh get cut, I'm going to be disappointed.

4. The way he talks about the single-player campaign sounds pretty promising, especially when he mentions specific dialogue for characters.

5. I have no idea what Roman Canceling is; I have no traditional fighting game experience on this.
As a tl;dr on Roman Cancelling, basically you can spend all of or part of your built up meter in order to instantly cancel out any of your attacks into another attack, essentially lagless.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Forward tilts and jabs as separate moves make the inputs way too specific and precise, making misinputs incredibly easy.

Side specials would take away the ability to easily neutral special out of dash, and are tricky (even if not impossible) to perform while idle.

I can live with 'em, this isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I'd much rather not have 'em - if they even are there, they haven't actually been confirm. I don't think NASB 2 will be bad, and I don't think it's impossible for it to be better than the first, but I'm also not seeing much that makes this game better than the first relative to the red flags I'm seeing. If I don't favour it, I can just treat it as a different game and play it alongside NASB 1, unless they pull a Brawl. Most of the stuff I'm criticising is in Slap anyway, and that game is rad. It's really not as big a deal for me as you're making it out to be. Hell, both of the two issues I named could be VERY easily remedied if the strafe button is back - press strafe and you'll always perform a jab regardless of stick intensity, press strafe while dashing to perform a neutral special, so on. I still need to wait for more, but I'm just not too confident. There's a big information overload here and I need time to properly process and analyse it, so don't be surprised when I'm making quote-unquote "contradictory statements".

Also, while I prefer yellow blocking over dodges and rolls, I do think giving more defense options is a smart move. As long as they don't have air dodges, I'm good on that one.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Forward tilts and jabs as separate moves make the inputs way too specific and precise, making misinputs incredibly easy.

Side specials would take away the ability to easily neutral special out of dash, and are tricky (even if not impossible) to perform while idle.

I can live with 'em, this isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I'd much rather not have 'em - if they even are there, they haven't actually been confirm. I don't think NASB 2 will be bad, and I don't think it's impossible for it to be better than the first, but I'm also not seeing much that makes this game better than the first relative to the red flags I'm seeing. If I don't favour it, I can just treat it as a different game and play it alongside NASB 1, unless they pull a Brawl. Most of the stuff I'm criticising is in Slap anyway, and that game is rad. It's really not as big a deal for me as you're making it out to be. Hell, both of the two issues I named could be VERY easily remedied if the strafe button is back - press strafe and you'll always perform a jab regardless of stick intensity, press strafe while dashing to perform a neutral special, so on. I still need to wait for more, but I'm just not too confident. There's a big information overload here and I need time to properly process and analyse it.

Also, while I prefer yellow blocking over dodges and rolls, I do think giving more defense options is a smart move. As long as they don't have air dodges, I'm good on that one.
"I can't do the inputs/have difficulty performing them, therefore they are a bad game mechanic" is the dumbest take I've ever seen. They'd eat you alive in the FGC. Practice. Improve.

If you're going to ***** about something the exclusive costumes are right there.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
"I can't do the inputs/have difficulty performing them, therefore they are a bad game mechanic" is the dumbest take I've ever seen. They'd eat you alive in the FGC.

If you're going to ***** about something the exclusive costumes are right there.
I can do side specials, they are not hard at all, they're just inconvenient - I can get used to it. It's a preference, I don't think side specials are glaringly bad design, I just don't think they add much to the game. Also, I already said that side specials aren't a deal breaker. You're taking this way too personally.

Anyway, I do want to say more about this, a lot of it positive, after reading more quotes from playtesters, but I think I'll keep it bottled for now.

EDIT:
Jellyfish Fields and Sweet Dreams are back, with remade music.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I can do side specials, they are not hard at all, they're just inconvenient. Also, I already said that side specials aren't a deal breaker. You're taking this way too personally.

Anyway, I do want to say more about this, a lot of it positive, after reading more quotes from playtesters, but I think I'll keep it bottled for now.

EDIT:
Jellyfish Fields and Sweet Dreams are back, with remade music.
There's nothing inconvenient about side specials. If you want to do a jab, you press the button at the same time or a few frames after you stop pressing the direction. It's really not that hard.

As for Jellyfish and Dreams... Why did they need remastered music? Both of them were already bops.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Been watching the trailer more, and I'm a lot more confident. I think it's just hitstop that's making it look slow, and that's A-OK with me. Hitstop is cool and non-intrusive. All the scenes where characters are moving without attacking look just fine. Super Meter is a concern but, if done well, it could be legendary.

As I've said, none of the revamps we've seen so far seem that ludicrous - most of new moves are the exact same moves with a different prop (Aang water lnair, SpongeBob karate snair), and a lot of them I think are positives like extra Nigel jumps and a lunging Patrick grab. Side specials and forward tilts aren't confirmed, and while fairs and bairs seemingly are, I'm cool with them. (And, let me repeat, I can put up with side specials and ftilts, I love Slap and Fraymakers, I just don't think they're preferable)

I think cargo throw is probably back, just with more unique animations. If it wasn't, I don't see why Rocko would be throwing foes using the Suck-O-Matic, which has wheels and is the center of a chase episode.

SB absorption up-strong is cute. I don't know if there'll be strong fairs and bairs.

I'll need to wait for more content before true judgement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom